New Trier Scobol Solo 10/31 (IL)

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
Stained Diviner
Auron

New Trier Scobol Solo 10/31 (IL)

Post by Stained Diviner »

This is an invitation to participate in the Fifteenth Annual New Trier Scobol Solo, to be held on Saturday, October 31, 2015. New Trier is located in Winnetka, just north of Chicago. This tournament is not being mirrored in Illinois this year, but there will be a mirror in New York.

Unlike most other tournaments, this one will feature one-on-one matches (i.e. no teams). Each match will consist of twenty tossup questions without bonuses. Each individual who enters is guaranteed seven matches, which will take place from 9:00-3:00. We will then have a Championship Match at 3:30 featuring the top nine students all playing at once.

The cost to participate is $35 per player for the first eight players on your team. If you can supply a moderator, then the cost is only $25 per player for the first eight players, and it is only $15 per player if you have two moderators. I am willing to negotiate if you have more than two moderators. Lunch will be provided for everybody. Keep in mind that moderators will be unable to watch their own players' matches. Even if you don't moderate, there will be several times that some of your students play at the same time. If you wish to enter more than eight players, they will be entered on a standby basis. If there is room for them to play, they will play for free. I will let you know by November 1 how much room we have--we are hoping to have exactly 128 students total.

Old questions are here.

The tournament is set up so that matches always feature two students with identical records.

Please return the attached form with a check. The tournament is already almost full--to hold some spaces for your school while your business office is cutting the check, email me at [email protected] or call me at (847)784-6616. You can see the current field here . Please let me know if you have any questions or concerns.

FAQ
Q: Do you need staff?
A: Yes
Attachments
entryform15.pdf
(20.68 KiB) Downloaded 168 times
David Reinstein
PACE VP of Outreach, Head Writer and Editor for Scobol Solo and Masonics (Illinois), TD for New Trier Scobol Solo and New Trier Varsity, Writer for NAQT (2011-2017), IHSSBCA Board Member, IHSSBCA Chair (2004-2014), PACE Member, PACE President (2016-2018), New Trier Coach (1994-2011)
Stained Diviner
Auron

Re: New Trier Scobol Solo 10/31 (IL)

As of now, we have spots for five more players and need seven more staffers. Let me know soon if you are interested either way.
David Reinstein
PACE VP of Outreach, Head Writer and Editor for Scobol Solo and Masonics (Illinois), TD for New Trier Scobol Solo and New Trier Varsity, Writer for NAQT (2011-2017), IHSSBCA Board Member, IHSSBCA Chair (2004-2014), PACE Member, PACE President (2016-2018), New Trier Coach (1994-2011)
Ithaca Cricket Ump
Wakka

Post by Ithaca Cricket Ump »

I should also point out here, for the benefit of the people planning to play the mirror in New York, that while BrainBusters Solo (February 27, 2016 at Geneva HS outside of Rochester, more detailed info forthcoming) will be using the New Trier Scobol Solo question set, the format of play will be different - a powermatched variant of the National History Bee system, where 7 to 8 players will compete in each room, but with each player playing for themselves. This format has worked very well for us in the first two years of BB Solo, and (unlike Illinois) in upstate New York we do not have access to nearly enough skilled and experienced moderators to run the tournament as a 1v1 affair.

--Scott
Scott M. Blish
Cheval, FL
Cornell 1990-92, 1997
Tournament Director, BrainBusters Fall
HSNCT moderator 2012-, MSNCT 2013-, SSNCT 2014-, PACE NSC 2013-, NHBB Nationals 2014-
Stained Diviner
Auron

My tournament is currently full, though we are still looking for more moderators. Any student getting on the waitlist this week would have a pretty good chance of getting in, but no guarantees.
David Reinstein
Stained Diviner
Auron

I now have enough moderators. It is still the case that the tournament is full, but any student getting on the waitlist soon would have a very good chance of getting in.
David Reinstein
Stained Diviner
Auron

We now have openings for students who want to play.
David Reinstein
Stained Diviner
Auron

We are full.
David Reinstein
Stained Diviner
Auron

We now have an opening or two for a student.
David Reinstein
jonah
Auron

Post by jonah »

Stats will be posted in real time at http://www.scobolsolo.com/stats/standin ... bject=2015
Jonah Greenthal
National Academic Quiz Tournaments
Stained Diviner
Auron

Congratulations to Ali Saeed for winning the tournament. A lot of students played very well today, and I'm glad we were able to attract such a strong field.

Special thanks to Jonah for automating the tournament, which is why the stats got posted so quickly. The code he wrote is incredible and hopefully represents the future of quizbowl. Jonah also edited all the questions into shape, which in many cases was a lot of work.

Thanks also to Andrew Wang for writing the chemistry and to Dan Pechi for writing most of the biology. Thanks to our staff as well--Jeff Brigham, Weston Brzykcy, Gregory Burgener, Colby Burnett, Tim Coughlan, Owen Doak, Tom Egan, Mike Etzkorn, Brad Fischer, Linda Greene, Adena Horwitz, Baasit Jamal, Jen Jaroch, Phyllis Kidd, Mike Kolton, Denise Kreb, Mike Laudermith, Jonathan Legendre, Sharon Lorinskas, Melissa Makovsky, Dylan Minarik, Andrew Nadig, Ali Nagib, Jeremy Nelson, Cynthia Paulsen, Ashok Poozhikunnel, Joe Promisco, Michael Sacks, Brad Savage, Navid Shoaee, Jamie Simon, James Stankevitz, Juliette Strombeck, Ruoqi Wei, and Ben Yang.

If there are any comments on question content, please email or message me. If people want a discussion, I'll request a private thread--remember to keep question content off the internet.
David Reinstein