NAQT HSNCT field discussion

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
solonqb
Rikku

NAQT HSNCT field discussion

Post by solonqb »

NAQT has now posted the current field. Updates can be found at http://naqt.com/hsnct/2005/field.html

This post will be updated to reflect the changing field.

Shanghai American School Shanghai, China
Brindlee Mountain High School (x2) Guntersville, AL
Loveless Academic Magnet Program High School Montgomery, AL
Bentley High School Lafayette, CA
Edison High School Huntington Beach, CA
La Jolla High School (x2) La Jolla, CA
Mission San Jose High School (x2) Fremont, CA
Santa Monica High School Santa Monica, CA
San Mateo High School San Mateo, CA
Charter School of Wilmington Wilmington, DE
Robert F. Munroe Day School Quincy, FL
Brookwood High School Snellville, GA
Chattahoochee High School Alpharetta, GA
Walton High School Marrietta, GA
Adlai E Stevenson High School Lincolnshire, IL
New Trier High School Winnetka, IL
Wheaton North High School Wheaton, IL
Ames High School Ames, IA
Estherville Lincoln Central High School Estherville, IA
North Cedar High School Stanwood, IA
Regina High School Iowa City, IA
Southeast Polk High School Runnells, IA
Shawnee Mission School Shawnee, KS
Danville High School Danville, KY
duPont Manual High School (x2) Louisville, KY
Paul Laurence Dunbar High School (x2) Lexington, KY
Isidore Newman School New Orleans, LA
Montgomery Blair High School Silver Spring, MD
Richard Montgomery (x2) Rockville, MD
Catholic Central High School Redford, MI
Farmington High School Farmington, MI
Grosse Pointe North High School Grosse Pointe Woods, MI
Kent City High School Kent City, MI
Novi High School Novi, MI
Okemos High School Okemos, MI
Royal Oak Kimball High School Royal Oak, MI
Troy High School Troy, MI
White Cloud High School (x2) White Cloud, MI
Winston Churchill High School Livonia MI
Armstrong High School Plymouth, MN
Chaska High School Chaska, MN
Cretin-Derham Hall St. Paul, MN
Minnetonka High School (x2) Minnetonka, MN
Wayzata High School Plymouth, MN
St. Andrew's Episcopal School (x2) Ridgeland, MS
Bergen County Academies Hackensack, NJ
Bloomfield High School (x2) Bloomfield, NJ
Columbia High School Maplewood, NJ
Livingston High School Livingston, NJ
Firestone High School Akron, OH
Solon High School Solon, OH
The Columbus Academy Gahanna, OH
Drummond High School (x2) Drummond, OK
Edmond Home School Cooperative Edmond, OK
Hilldale High School Muskogee, OK
Holland Hall Upper School Tulsa, OK
North Allegheny Senior High School Wexford, PA
Shady Side Academy Pittsburgh, PA
State College Area High School (x2) State College, PA
Irmo High School Columbia, SC
Fort Mill High School Fort Mill, SC
Paul M. Dorman High School Roebuck, SC
Greater Sioux Falls Home School Association Sioux Falls, SD
Bellaire High School (x2) Bellaire, TX
Cistercian Preparatory School Irving, TX
Plano East Senior High School Plano, TX
St. John's School Houston, TX
Ysleta High School El Paso, TX
Charlottesville High School Charlottesville, VA
Maggie Walker Governor's School for
Government and International Studies Richmond, VA
Princess Anne High School Virginia Beach, VA
Thomas Jefferson High School for Science and Technology (x3) Alexandria, VA
Lakeside School Seattle, WA
Medical Lake High School Medical Lake, WA
Conserve School (x2) Land O'Lakes, WI
Oshkosh West High School Oshkosh, WI
Rufus King High School Milwaukee, WI
Wausau West High School Wausau, WI
Wayland Academy Beaver Dam, WI

Total: 95

4/27/05:
At first glance, there seems to be a disproportionate amount of Michigan teams coming. Notable absences so far (at least to me) include Dunbar and a few of the good DC/MD area teams (ER, Blake, Gonzaga, WJ)
Last edited by solonqb on Fri May 27, 2005 11:07 pm, edited 14 times in total.
Noah Rahman
Welcome to Simbabwe, where the property is already owned and the houses built and you compete to burn and dispossess them. Compete with Robert Mugabe, Canaan Banana, Cecil Rhodes and Sir Godfrey Huggins to earn a place on the all-time EU travel ban list!
ebellnaqt
Lulu

Teams

Post by ebellnaqt »

Actually, for right now the field is being capped at 80 teams, although there is a possibility that may go to 96.

Eric Bell
who is speaking officially for NAQT
quizbowllee
Auron

Post by quizbowllee »

WOW! That's a whole lotta teams...

Out of curiosity (I looked on the NAQT website but couldn't find specifics), what is the process for awarding the "small schools" championship? Is it analogous to the Community College Championship at the ICT?
Lee Henry
AP Lit and APUSH Teacher
Quiz Bowl Coach
West Point High School
President-Elect/Past President- Alabama Scholastic Competition Association (ASCA)
Stained Diviner
Auron

Post by Stained Diviner »

Look some more: "The top four teams in the field will each receive a team trophy and their members (up to five) and coach will each receive an individual medal. In addition, the top non-selective, public school with fewer than 500 students in grades 10-12 will receive a team trophy and individual medals for its members and coach."
Trevkeeper
Tidus

Post by Trevkeeper »

Dang, 80 is large. Heck, 60 is pretty large too. If the field exceeds 64 teams, the amount of prelim rounds goes from 10 down to 8, correct?

Edit: I just noticed something--there's a school called "Perpetually Confused" from Shawneem Kansas. Is that an actual name, or just a joke I don't get?
Nick, IU and Aegis Questions
quizbowllee
Auron

Post by quizbowllee »

ReinsteinD wrote:Look some more: "The top four teams in the field will each receive a team trophy and their members (up to five) and coach will each receive an individual medal. In addition, the top non-selective, public school with fewer than 500 students in grades 10-12 will receive a team trophy and individual medals for its members and coach."
Yes, I saw that... But I also found a link (http://www.naqt.com/hsnct/2004/2004-hsn ... sults.html) that shows a small schools playoff. This would indicate that they don't simply award the top finishing small school, but that they have some manner of playoff.

What I am curious about is whether this playoff will take place regardless of standings. For example, if the top small school finishes say 20th in the field, and the next highest small school finishes 45th, would they still have a playoff , or simply award the championship to the top finisher.
Lee Henry
AP Lit and APUSH Teacher
Quiz Bowl Coach
West Point High School
President-Elect/Past President- Alabama Scholastic Competition Association (ASCA)
tj b boy
Lulu

Post by tj b boy »

Trevkeeper wrote:I just noticed something--there's a school called "Perpetually Confused" from Shawneem Kansas. Is that an actual name, or just a joke I don't get?
Last year, there were one or two jokingly named teams from some Midwestern state or another, perhaps Kansas; I was hanging out outside a room or something, got to talking to them, and asked about it. They said that technically they're not allowed to come and compete as official representatives of their school; I forget the reason, I think it had something to do with the school year being over? In any case, there is apparently a loophole in this rule allowing them to compete so long as they don't go by their school's real name.
bigtrain
Rikku

Post by bigtrain »

solonqb wrote:Notable absences so far (at least to me) include .... a few of the good DC/MD area teams (ER, Blake, Gonzaga)
From what I've heard, Eleanor Roosevelt is trying to attend ASCN (I have no idea how they came to that decision). Gonzaga is signed up for PACE. Blake seems to be having some team issues right now, but I'm pretty sure they were planning on attending NAQT. I'm not 100% sure, but I think my team will be attending PACE.

This looks like a really strong and diverse field this year. Do any of you have any favorites as to who will 'win' second place?
Manyo2
Lulu

Post by Manyo2 »

The big notable absence for me is us (DuPont) because I thought we were registered. As far as I know we are going and bringing two teams. Dunbar and a couple of other KY schools not listed are going as far as I know.
No Sollositing On Premise
Tidus

Post by No Sollositing On Premise »

It's really a shame if DuPont doesn't go, because for my money they're the team with the best chance of upsetting TJ. Overall the field looks pretty strong, nice and geographically diverse. Last year was only 64, so 80 or 96 would be a pretty huge jump. They'll probably manage, I've heard tell of Brookwood tournaments (I think...) with 100+ teams, so maybe 80 isn't that impressive, but still.

Oh, and Mike, there was a Kansas team last year that had a team called Gigglyonoramicon of the Internet last year, maybe "Perpetually Confused" is the same group.
Mike Sollosi, University of Virginia
Trevkeeper
Tidus

Post by Trevkeeper »

I have no idea who will finish at the top/near the top.

However, I bet Brindlee Mountain may pull a few upsets. I dunno, just a hunch.
jrbarry
Tidus

Post by jrbarry »

That is an impressive list of teams registered so far. I would think the final total might approach 80-85.

I am glad NAQTNCT is getting larger and is having teams from all over the country.
msuter
Lulu

Post by msuter »

Regarding the Kansas teams, I believe there is some type of stipulation that they cannot go out of state to play in tournaments. I know that ASCN often had teams from Kansas City, Mo. but never any from the Kansas side, and that is the reason that was given.
djayboots
Lulu

Post by djayboots »

Dark horse candidate: Lakeside from Washington. You heard it here first!
quizbowllee
Auron

Post by quizbowllee »

Trevkeeper wrote:I have no idea who will finish at the top/near the top.

I appreciate the vote of confidence. However, I think that this is likely to be a very humbling experience for my young team. I'm taking them for the experience only. I think we might be able to make a pretty good run for the money in a couple of years, but this year is basically just reconnaissance.

At the very best, I think we MIGHT have a shot at the small schools title, though I really don't know how strong the other italicized schools are on this list.

However, if we follow our strange traditions, we are likely to defeat a major powerhouse only to lose to the last place team... That would be par for Brindlee Mountain...

At any rate, I find it interesting that we're speculating not about who will win, but who will earn the honor to come in second to TJ A. Is there no team that can beat them?

-Lee
Lee Henry
AP Lit and APUSH Teacher
Quiz Bowl Coach
West Point High School
Tidus

For my money, the teams with the best shot of upsetting TJ A are DuPont, Dorman, State College, and Raleigh Charter. It really depends if certain players catch fire or not, but those are the best teams I've seen this year (which admittedly don't include any of the Georgia, Ohio, Michigan, Alabama, or west coast teams). To beat TJ, you have to get them negging a whole lot AND be able to play both halves. I have seen numerous occasions which the opponent will get the first four or five questions and then TJ gets the next sixteen or seventeen questions. Good luck.
solonqb
Rikku

Post by solonqb »

My money's on State College or Raleigh Charter. As for Brindlee Mountain, your competition for the small school award will undoubtedly be Danville.

Sollosi, will you be reading for HSNCT?
Noah Rahman
Welcome to Simbabwe, where the property is already owned and the houses built and you compete to burn and dispossess them. Compete with Robert Mugabe, Canaan Banana, Cecil Rhodes and Sir Godfrey Huggins to earn a place on the all-time EU travel ban list!
Tidus

No. My pending summer job would get in the way, plus I just don't have the connections to help out.
Trevkeeper
Tidus

Post by Trevkeeper »

quizbowllee wrote:

I appreciate the vote of confidence. However, I think that this is likely to be a very humbling experience for my young team. I'm taking them for the experience only. I think we might be able to make a pretty good run for the money in a couple of years, but this year is basically just reconnaissance.
Two things. 1) By "a few upsets", I meant Brindlee Mountain could wind up with 3-5 wins, with a couple of those coming against teams that were "supposed" to beat you guys and gals. 2) What can I say? Like I said in some other thread, I've taken a liking to your team...the fact that 75% of the starting lineup is freshman intrigues me.
quizbowllee
Auron

Post by quizbowllee »

Trevkeeper wrote:
quizbowllee wrote:

Two things. 1) By "a few upsets", I meant Brindlee Mountain could wind up with 3-5 wins, with a couple of those coming against teams that were "supposed" to beat you guys and gals. 2) What can I say? Like I said in some other thread, I've taken a liking to your team...the fact that 75% of the starting lineup is freshman intrigues me.
Understood. I really have no idea what to expect - I could see us going 0-7 or 7-0 depending on the pool, the questions, and the kind of day we're having.

BTW - are the pools made by random draw, or is there some kind of seeding process?
Lee Henry
AP Lit and APUSH Teacher
Quiz Bowl Coach
West Point High School
Tidus

If it's anything like last year, you'll only be in a pool for the first four or five games. Within the pools, which are randomly drawn, you use a W1 v. W2, L1 v. L2 kind of power matching, after which the pools are combined into modified bracket power matching. So basically, you'll only play within your original pool for five matches or so, after which you'll play teams of your approximate record. I think that they don't always follow a formula for the lategame though, because they somehow decided to not have a TJ A vs. TJ B match in Game 10 of the prelims, despite those two being the only 9-0 and 8-1 teams at that point... whatever. One of the other mods or perhaps an NAQT representative could explain it better than I can.
The Goffman Prophecies
Quizbowl Detective Extraordinaire

Post by The Goffman Prophecies »

I've not been to an event of this caliber either, but I'll be in Chicago helping out that weekend. I'm curious to see how this is all going to work myself.
Dan Goff
HSQB sysadmin

Virginia Tech '13
South Carolina '15
and a couple other places
Not Thomas Dale HS

STAAATS
Strongside
Rikku

Post by Strongside »

I have some questions about the HSNCT.

When is the deadline to seek a wild card berth?

Is there a minimum number of players a team has to have? If there is what is that number?
solonqb
Rikku

Post by solonqb »

From NAQT's website:

Beginning April 21 of each year, NAQT accepts "wildcard" applications from schools that did not qualify under the above criteria but whose teams have demonstrated a high quality of play in academic competition throughout the year. Particular consideration will be given to schools that, for geographical regions, had difficulty attending NAQT tournaments. NAQT will begin contacting wildcard teams whose applications have been accepted after May 1.

Generally a team has 4 players, although they might let you slide with three.
Noah Rahman
quizbowllee
Auron

Post by quizbowllee »

In college you can play with only one player, so I imagine you can do that in high school, too... But I certainly don't know.
Lee Henry
AP Lit and APUSH Teacher
Quiz Bowl Coach
West Point High School
solonqb
Rikku

Post by solonqb »

The field has now reached 80 teams, and I'll bet NAQT will extend it to 96 if they can get them.

Notable additions: St. Andrew's, duPont and Dunbar, some more MN and IA schools, Edmond and Holland Hall from OK.
Noah Rahman
PaydayC4
Lulu

Post by PaydayC4 »

Does NAQT have enough help for that many teams, especially if the number gets up to 96?
Trevkeeper
Tidus

Post by Trevkeeper »

solonqb wrote:The field has now reached 80 teams, and I'll bet NAQT will extend it to 96 if they can get them.
That means that now there will only be 8 prelim rounds instead of 10, correct? Or is it still 10 prelim rounds?
solonqb
Rikku

Post by solonqb »

Trevkeeper wrote:That means that now there will only be 8 prelim rounds instead of 10, correct? Or is it still 10 prelim rounds?
Yeah, just 8.
Noah Rahman
quiz4life
Lulu

Post by quiz4life »

Seeing the tournament have more teams is great but at the loss of two games in the prelims-that is a shame.

We are very pleased to be at the top of the list of schools attending the tournament.

We are sticking around Chicao to attend the Questions Unlimited tournament. What other team are doing that?

Do note that on Wednesday the 8th the CSO is doing Brahm's 4th-and after the concert you get to talk with the orchestra!
NoahMinkCHS
Rikku

Post by NoahMinkCHS »

If you don't mind me asking, what prompted a school from China to make an appearance? (I think it's a great thing for the game and wish I'd had the opportunity to play international teams.)

Do you guys have any form of circuit or is it pretty much within the school?

I'm just curious, and I'd imagine many others are too.
tj b boy
Lulu

Post by tj b boy »

On a related note, has anybody ever tried to extend the high school quiz bowl circuit into Canada in the way that college quiz bowl has done? Does anybody know about the state of academic competition to our north? Chicago is a pretty Canada-friendly location for a tournament.
Matt Weiner
Sin

Post by Matt Weiner »

Chip Beall once had an all-girls school from Toronto at his tournament, which he played up on his webpage in traditionally creepy fashion.

Otherwise, Canada has its national Reach for the Top thing, but I don't think they have much of the independent invitational circuit. It would indeed be nice to see them down here; Canadian college teams have come to plenty of events in the US and done well, so it could probably work at the high school level too.
First Chairman
Auron

Post by First Chairman »

tj b boy wrote:On a related note, has anybody ever tried to extend the high school quiz bowl circuit into Canada in the way that college quiz bowl has done? Does anybody know about the state of academic competition to our north? Chicago is a pretty Canada-friendly location for a tournament.
If memory serves me correctly, I think Michigan had a HS comp where they had one Canadian team show up. But I could definitely be mistaken. I know Western Ontario ran a HS comp once upon a time.
Emil Thomas Chuck, Ph.D.
Founder, PACE
Facebook junkie and unofficial advisor to aspiring health professionals in quiz bowl
---
Pimping Green Tea Ginger Ale (Canada Dry)
First Chairman
Auron

Post by First Chairman »

Matt Weiner wrote:Chip Beall once had an all-girls school from Toronto at his tournament, which he played up on his webpage in traditionally creepy fashion.
Don't you be knockin' the QuizNet team from St. Clement's School, Matt. :smile: :cool:

Also... it's now officially "SchoolReach". :razz:
Last edited by First Chairman on Thu May 12, 2005 4:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Emil Thomas Chuck, Ph.D.
Founder, PACE
Facebook junkie and unofficial advisor to aspiring health professionals in quiz bowl
---
bsmith
Tidus

Post by bsmith »

tj b boy wrote:On a related note, has anybody ever tried to extend the high school quiz bowl circuit into Canada in the way that college quiz bowl has done? Does anybody know about the state of academic competition to our north? Chicago is a pretty Canada-friendly location for a tournament.
I'm running a high school invitational in November, and I believe 2 more Canadian locations will be attempted next year. They will be NAQT with replaced Canadian content.

"Reach for the Top" is dominant throughout Canada: it's the only nation-wide option right now ("Genies en herbe" is only in Quebec, New Brunswick, and 2 Ottawa schools). I'd estimate that around 400 schools participate in Reach, and about 50 in Genies.

"Quiz Whiz", a PBS program in the NY area, invites schools from the Kingston and St. Lawrence area, and offers a "Canadian Week" once a year to determine a team for a Canada vs. US faceoff.

Chicago is pretty close to the strong schools (although upstate New York would get the Toronto and Ottawa powerhouses). However, most public schools don't have money for travel, so the cost would mostly come out of fundraising, donations, or their pocket. For U of O going to New Orleans, the international flight costs would have killed us.

It's also difficult to sell your tournaments to Canadian high schools when there's a large amount of American history, literature, current events, etc. While the Shanghai American School sounds exotic, they still have an American-based curriculum. I've attended ASIJ (Tokyo) and AISJ (Johannesburg), and I learned more American history than Japanese... I'm not trying to downplay the Shanghai team's appearance, just trying to avoid people making the "if they can come, why can't Canadians?" argument.

Anyway, you might see a Canadian team show up at a national event next year (possibly taking up the 15% of field offer), but wait and see. Unfortunately, you may miss out on the best teams, because Reach nationals would usually conflict with early June weekends.
bsmith
Tidus

Post by bsmith »

E.T. Chuck wrote:I know Western Ontario ran a HS comp once upon a time.
UWO did the London-area regional tournaments for Reach for a couple of years... I don't know of any independent or quizbowl-format events they did.
quiz4life
Lulu

Post by quiz4life »

Hi all a few questions have come my way. I will answer them in the order they were asked. We are coming because it is a great experience for our students. I have been around quiz long enough to know that the team will be competitive. Well I hope so! Though given that the program is only two years old and we have no seniors on the team we will not be one of the better teams.

As for our quiz experience-we have played a few times against a couple of other international schools here in Shanghai and we won handily. The team also plays against the faculty. We also are involved in the KMO and have done well enough.

It is great that we have another person with an international school background on the list. That person is correct we follow American style education-i.e. My students have all taken AP USH, well not my grade 9 but he did take AP Calculus! Having written that, one of my students is Korean and has never been to the US, the other is from Canada. The other two are from the US but have been in China for a long time. Other than the Korean student the other four are of Chinese background. There not living in the US will put as at a disadvantage well in certain questions.
I loved JNB-great city. I taught for five years in Harare.

I was involved, briefly, in cocahing quiz in the US for two years, 1994-95. I had the wonderul opportunity to bring my teams (Pensacola HS) to the tournaments run by Mr. Barry. Very professional, a perfect example of a large (133 schools!) tournament. I am hoping we do well enough to warrant another invitation to NAQT for next year. Next year we will not lose any players but I am off to work in Abu Dhabi. I will look to bring teams from that area.

I look forward to meeting many of you-please come up and say hi to me and my team.
Sincerely,
Michael Harvey
Shanghai American School
Shanghai, China

PS Thank goodness for the direct flight but still 14 1/2 hours is a long flight!
solonqb
Rikku

Post by solonqb »

One of our alternates used to attend Shanghai American School in the mid 90s. He's looking forward to seeing a team from an alma mater.
Noah Rahman
quiz4life
Lulu

Post by quiz4life »

Hey that is great! Would you mind sending his name? We have many students, though none on the team, who have been at the school a long time.
solonqb
Rikku

Post by solonqb »

Ahmil Jilani.
Noah Rahman
First Chairman
Auron

Post by First Chairman »

quiz4life wrote:PS Thank goodness for the direct flight but still 14 1/2 hours is a long flight!
Hi Michael, and glad to have you here. Best of luck to you and your kids.

I'm just impressed there is a direct flight from Shanghai to Chicago. When did this happen?!
Emil Thomas Chuck, Ph.D.
Founder, PACE
---
blazer06
Lulu

Post by blazer06 »

United does it; it was done rather recently. They did plan to offer it awhile back, but then they decided to route that flight to Beijing instead.
United also flies direct flights from San Francisco to Shanghai as well; its "only" 12 hours then.
solonqb
Rikku

Post by solonqb »

Field has now hit 90, only six spots left, I suppose. It seems as if NAQT will be flying in half the college teams in the country for staffing!

Out of curiosity, I heard that NAQT prefers to to hold the HSNCT at college and universities becuase of logistical problems at Georgia Tech in 2000. Perhaps Mr. Barker, Mr. Bell or Mr. Kidder could enlighten us as to the nature of such problems, becuase I always though it would be cool if HSNCT were at Pitt's Cathedral of Learning, for example. I'm sure a prospective host college would love to use it as an opportunity to promote itself.
Noah Rahman
jrbarry
Tidus

Post by jrbarry »

I think NAQT abandoned using college campuses for the HSNCT after 2002 (Univ of Texas) because the logistical problems of using multiple buildings for a large tournament are many. Finding 40+ playing venues in one building on a college campus is nearly impossible.
Awehrman
Wakka

Post by Awehrman »

I don't think NAQT has totally abandoned using colleges and universities as hosting sites. They still solicit university hosts. We (Northwestern) were asked to submit a bid, but we could not get the necessary staff/rooms since the tournament will be held during our finals week. I will be on hand to read, and I'm very much looking forward to it. Oh, how times have changed since I played in the first HSNCT in Norman, OK in 1999 with only 25 other teams.

Andy Wehrman
Northwestern QB
First Chairman
Auron

Post by First Chairman »

Do you think they would ever return to a college campus? I will admit it's nice to have the convenience of convention-style hotels that can accommodate so many teams and rooms under one roof. Sorta like the NCAA Final Four round; they'll never return to small venues because of the demand for tickets.
Emil Thomas Chuck, Ph.D.
Founder, PACE
---
NoahMinkCHS
Rikku

Post by NoahMinkCHS »

E.T. Chuck wrote:Do you think they would ever return to a college campus? I will admit it's nice to have the convenience of convention-style hotels that can accommodate so many teams and rooms under one roof.
Any possibilty NAQT would use dorms for housing teams? NAC does (or at least did) that at some sites, and I thought it worked pretty well when we went. That's probably more a logistical hurdle than they'd want, though; I think NAC had someone whose entire job was working that stuff out.

Plus, I guess a lot of colleges are still in session during NAQT, so they'd be ruled out immediately.
irmogopher
Lulu

Post by irmogopher »

It's my understanding that most schools are cleared out by the first of June...right?
First Chairman
Auron

Post by First Chairman »

If you mean colleges/universities, those on semester system (like that in the Southeast) will be done by the end of the month. Those on a trimester system (like the Northeast and some Northern schools, those that usually start in September) are done by mid to late June.

High schools also vary widely. New York schools for example end by mid to end of June, I have heard.
Emil Thomas Chuck, Ph.D.
Founder, PACE
---