FaCT XI at Yale (New Haven, CT; 9/26/15; IS-149A)

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
vinteuil
Auron

FaCT XI at Yale (New Haven, CT; 9/26/15; IS-149A)

Post by vinteuil »

Yale Student Academic Competitions is happy to announce our eleventh annual Fall Academic Tournament (FAcT), to take place on Saturday, 26 September, 2015. The tournament will use untimed rounds of 20 tossups and bonuses from NAQT's Introductory Invitational Series set IS-149A.

Contact Information
The day of the tournament, teams should contact Grace Liu ([email protected], (240) 593-4933).

Location and Parking

In-person registration will begin at 8 A.M. with the aim of starting the opening meeting at 8:45 A.M. and the first round by 9 A.M. The tournament will take place at William L. Harkness Hall (WLH) on Yale's main campus (map), located at 100 Wall Street, New Haven, Connecticut. Teams are strongly encouraged to arrive at 7:45 A.M. to leave time to find parking.

Many Yale parking lots within two to three blocks of WLH are open to the public on weekends for free, including Lots 51, 77, 78, and 78W, shown here. Street parking is also available, as is garage parking in the Grove Street and Audubon Court garages.

Affiliations

Teams that finish in the top 15% of the field will automatically qualify for NAQT's 2016 HSNCT (High School National Championship Tournament), held on the weekend of May 27th in Dallas, Texas.

Registration

If you would like to register your high school for FAcT, please fill out this Google form. Please direct any questions to [email protected].
We are capping the FAcT field at 28 teams, but will maintain a waiting list for teams beyond that. Spots will likely go quickly, so please register as soon as possible! Posts in this thread are fine for "expressing interest" but will not count as registrations. If registered teams indicate that they can bring enough staffers, we may be able to increase the field cap.

Payment

Base fee: $80
Base fee for additional teams (B-team, C-team, etc.): $75
Buzzer discount: -$5 per operative buzzer system with at least eight working buzzers
Moderator discount: -$10 per experienced scorekeeper or moderator
Minimum fee per school: $60

If you plan to pay by check, the check must be made out to “Y. Student Academic Competitions.” Do NOT make checks payable to “Yale Student Academic Competitions.” Checks should be given to us on the day of the tournament, or, if that's not possible, can be sent to:
Yale Student Academic Competitions
c/o Nicholas Wawrykow
P.O. box #200794
Yale University
New Haven, CT 06520

Please ignore any other addresses you may have on file.

Field (Teams/Buzzers/Team-Provided Staffers):
Acton-Boxborough (1/1/0)
AMSA (1/2/0)
Bishop Guertin (1/0/0)
Brookline (1/1/0)
Conard (1/0/0)
Darien (3/0/0)
Farmington (3/0/0)
Greens Farms (2/1/1)
Middlesex Middle (2/3/0)
Port Jefferson (1/0/0)
Suffield (2/0/1)
Woodland (1/1/0)

Total: 19/9/3 [as of 9/24]

Waitlist

Yale also plans to host its annual BHSAT on 13 February, 2016. More details to follow in the coming months.
Last edited by vinteuil on Fri Sep 25, 2015 11:35 pm, edited 20 times in total.
Jacob R., ex-Chicago
The Stately Rhododendron
Rikku

Re: FaCT XI at Yale (New Haven, CT; 9/26/15; IS-149A)

Post by The Stately Rhododendron »

FaCT has been awarded Gold Certification from PACE, so the top 20% of the field will qualify for the 2016 PACE NSC, held on June 4-5 in the Chicago metro area.
IKD
Yale 18
Oakland Mills 14
"I am the NAQT beast I worship."
vinteuil
Auron

Post by vinteuil »

The field is now almost 80% full, so teams that want to play should sign up as soon as possible!
Jacob R., ex-Chicago
vinteuil
Auron

Post by vinteuil »

We have just one spot left in our field! Teams that register past #28 will be placed on a waitlist.

EDIT [9/9]: The field is now closed.
Jacob R., ex-Chicago
Edward Powers
Auron

Post by Edward Powers »

Jacob,

I sent you a PM yesterday informing you that Saint Joseph must withdraw its 2 teams. Hopefully teams on your waiting list can now take our place. Good luck with your tournament; perhaps we can see you in February when you host your BHSAT.
Ed Powers
Coach
SJHS Academic Team
Metuchen, NJ
vinteuil
Auron

Post by vinteuil »

Edward Powers wrote:Jacob,

I sent you a PM yesterday informing you that Saint Joseph must withdraw its 2 teams. Hopefully teams on your waiting list can now take our place. Good luck with your tournament; perhaps we can see you in February when you host your BHSAT.
I've updated the original accordingly.
Jacob R., ex-Chicago
Important Bird Area
Forums Staff: Administrator

Post by Important Bird Area »

Jacob, could you please email me with a suitable mailing address for this tournament's questions? (The listed PO box for the checks isn't acceptable for FedEx packages.) Thanks!
Jeff Hoppes
President, Northern California Quiz Bowl Alliance
former HSQB Chief Admin (2012-13)
VP for Communication and history subject editor, NAQT
Editor emeritus, ACF

"I wish to make some kind of joke about Jeff's love of birds, but I always fear he'll turn them on me Hitchcock-style." -Fred
Grace
Wakka

Post by Grace »

Congratulations for Darien B for winning the tournament in both rounds of an advantaged final over Bishop Guertin!

EDIT: All statistics can be found on the right hand side of this page.
Grace Liu
MIT (no graduation because hahaha what a joke)
Yale University '16
High Technology High School '12
acgfried
Lulu

Post by acgfried »

I'd like to give a big "Thank You!" to everyone at Yale for your work putting together FaCT this past weekend. The day ran smoothly, especially given the fact that there were a number of teams who dropped out at the very last minute. The folks from Brookline had a blast, and we definitely appreciated being able to get on the road by 3:00pm.

We're looking forward to coming back in February.
Adam Fried
Co-Coach
Brookline High School