gonzaga tournament?

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
Zip Zap Rap Pants
Yuna

gonzaga tournament?

Post by Zip Zap Rap Pants »

pardon me if you think this is a bit extraneous, as it is so far off from now, but does anyone know much about gonzaga's tournament? i heard it was oct. 16th this past yr, and i assume it is house-written as i cant find anything about it on naqt's website, but it seems like a good tournament to go to next year since it's not far away for us. i can't find anything about anywhere, so does anybody know what the format was like or how the questions were? thanks
Matt Morrison, William & Mary '10, Tour Guide &c., MA in History '12?

"All the cool people eat mangoes while they smoke blunts and do cannonballs off a trampoline into my hot tub..."
-Matt Weiner

“In beer there is strength,
In wine is wisdom,
In water is germs.”
-Unknown

new email: mpmorr at email dot wm dot edu
blazer06
Lulu

Post by blazer06 »

Yes, Gonzaga was 10/16 last year and was not NAQT

The questions, if I recall correctly, were a combination of TU/bonus and straight TU, or maybe all straight TU. Not sure.

As to the questions themselves, I found the questions sub-par, my nice way of saying they pretty much sucked; they were rather convoluted and not very pyramidal, if you're used to playing NAQT/similar style.
jewtemplar
Wakka

Post by jewtemplar »

I would not call the questions sub par.
Not all of them were meant to be pyramidal, I think, and the answer selection was refreshingly non formulaic, with generally difficult questions. This answer selection, while novel, did produce a number of upsets. TJ B beat TJ A (both with non-standard rosters) for the win. TJ will go back next year, I think.
crackerwithak
Lulu

Post by crackerwithak »

I'm Michael Kettler from Gonzaga, and I ran our tournament the past two years. However, I'm a senior, so maybe the questions won't be so crappy next year. That being said, our underclassmen have expressed interest in hosting a tournament once again, although I don't know when it will occur. I will warn you that, since other guys will be running it, the tournament may not have exactly the same format, but you will see pyramidal toss ups

To Blazer06: I will most likely write some questions to help out, so my sub-par work may haunt you from beyond the grave.
Howard
Tidus

Post by Howard »

I thought the questions were a little too difficult, i.e. that there weren't enough easy clues at the end for the lower teams to answer some questions and learn some additional info. But I wouldn't call them crappy, bad, etc. I thought they were reasonably pyramidal, but, like I mentioned above, could have used a few easier clues at the end.
John Gilbert
Coach, Howard High School Academic Team
Ellicott City, MD

"John Gilbert is a quiz bowl god" -- leftsaidfred
crackerwithak
Lulu

Post by crackerwithak »

The questions were difficult, which was cool for TJ, but not so cool for almost everyone else. Someone whose game I read for answered "Ulick Sack" to a question about a Russian author (I think it was Turgenev) because he was so frustrated. There were also some absurdly low scores, like 60-50. That being said, next year's tournament should be a little more reasonable.
blazer06
Lulu

Post by blazer06 »

sorry, what i said came off slightly harsher than I perceived. I still enjoyed the tournament, so I'd definitely recomment you go, but the questions stick out in my mind. And maybe I'm confusing this with GDS.
Zip Zap Rap Pants
Yuna

Post by Zip Zap Rap Pants »

crackerwithak wrote:The questions were difficult, which was cool for TJ, but not so cool for almost everyone else. Someone whose game I read for answered "Ulick Sack" to a question about a Russian author (I think it was Turgenev) because he was so frustrated. There were also some absurdly low scores, like 60-50. That being said, next year's tournament should be a little more reasonable.
yea i mean it sounds like the prelims were too tough but you do want the playoff questions to be a bit harder (though not quite as hard as TJIAT's were). oh, and not that this matters all that much, but was the field size pretty good, and did it qualify for pace?
Matt Morrison, William & Mary '10, Tour Guide &c., MA in History '12?

"All the cool people eat mangoes while they smoke blunts and do cannonballs off a trampoline into my hot tub..."
-Matt Weiner

“In beer there is strength,
In wine is wisdom,
In water is germs.”
-Unknown

new email: mpmorr at email dot wm dot edu