New Trier Scobol Solo 11/1/14

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
Stained Diviner
Auron

New Trier Scobol Solo 11/1/14

Post by Stained Diviner »

This is an invitation to participate in the Fourteenth Annual New Trier Scobol Solo, to be held on Saturday, November 1. New Trier is located in Winnetka, just north of Chicago. This tournament is not being mirrored elsewhere in Illinois this year.

Unlike most other tournaments, this one will feature one-on-one matches (i.e. no teams). Each match will consist of twenty tossup questions without bonuses. Each individual who enters is guaranteed seven matches, which will take place from 9:00-3:00. We will then have a Championship Match at 3:30 featuring the top nine students all playing at once.

The cost to participate is $30 per player for the first eight players on your team. If you can supply an experienced moderator, then the cost is only $20 per player for the first eight players, and it is only $10 per player if you have two moderators. I am willing to negotiate if you have more than two moderators. Lunch will be provided for everybody. Keep in mind that moderators will be unable to watch their own players' matches. Even if you don't moderate, there will be several times that some of your students play at the same time. If you wish to enter more than eight players, they will be entered on a standby basis. If there is room for them to play, they will play for free. I will let you know by November 1 how much room we have--we are hoping to have exactly 128 students total.

Old questions are at: http://www.hsquizbowl.org/db/questionse ... archived=y

The tournament is set up so that matches always feature two students with identical records.

Please return the attached form with a check. If you want to hold some spaces for your school while your business office is cutting the check, email me at [email protected] or post here. Reserve spaces by October 15. Based on recent years, I expect this tournament to fill before the deadline, so you need to let me know soon if you want me to reserve spaces. Please let me know if you have any questions or concerns.

Field Update:
Auburn (11)
Barrington (1)
Bloomington (9)
Buffalo Grove (2)
Carbondale (6)
Champaign Centennial (4)
Chicago Lab (2)
Dunlap (1)
Fenton (3)
Glenbard South (2)
Hinsdale Central (8)
Homewood-Flossmoor (2)
IMSA (5)
Keith CD (3)
Lake Zurich (1)
Latin (6)
Libertyville (1)
Loyola (9)
Maine East (3)
Maine South (4)
Metea Valley (12)
New Trier (3)
St. Charles East (3)
St. Ignatius (6)
St. Joseph (1)
St. Viator (7)
Stevenson (4)
Wheaton North (4)
Wheaton Warrenville South (5)

Waitlist:
none

Standby:
Bloomington (2)

Staff:
Burgener
Coughlan
Douglas
Dutmers
Egan
Fedewa
Fischer
Fitzgerald
Gerhardt
Greene
Greenthal
Jamal
Kelley
Kidd
Kreb
Laudermith
Legendre
Lindvall
Long
Minarik
Nagib (x2?)
O'Laughlin
Paulsen
Peterson
Prince
Promisco
Riley
Sacks
Savage
Sorice
Stankevitz
Wang
Yang
Attachments
soloentryform14.pdf
(20.68 KiB) Downloaded 254 times
Last edited by Stained Diviner on Thu Oct 30, 2014 7:40 pm, edited 54 times in total.
David Reinstein
Head Writer and Editor for Scobol Solo, Masonics, and IESA; TD for Scobol Solo and Reinstein Varsity; IHSSBCA Board Member; IHSSBCA Chair (2004-2014); PACE President (2016-2018)
Stained Diviner
Auron

Re: New Trier Scobol Solo 11/1/14

This tournament is now more than half full. The field cap of 128 will not change.

Also, I need a lot more moderators.
David Reinstein
Head Writer and Editor for Scobol Solo, Masonics, and IESA; TD for Scobol Solo and Reinstein Varsity; IHSSBCA Board Member; IHSSBCA Chair (2004-2014); PACE President (2016-2018)
Dominator
Tidus

Post by Dominator »

The coach should be officially contacting you soon, but IMSA would like to reserve 8 spots for players and 1 spot for a moderator.
Dr. Noah Prince

Normal Community High School (2002)
University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign (2004, 2007, 2008)

Illinois Mathematics and Science Academy - Scholastic Bowl coach (2009-2014), assistant coach (2014-2015), well wisher (2015-2016)
guy in San Diego (2016-present)
President of Qblitz (2018-present)

David Riley
Auron

Post by David Riley »

I can moderate.
David Riley
Coach Emeritus, Loyola Academy, Wilmette, Illinois, 1993-2010
Steering Committee, IHSSBCA, 1996 -
Member, PACE, 2012 -

"This is 1183, of course we're barbarians" -- Eleanor of Aquitaine in "The Lion in Winter"
Stained Diviner
Auron

This tournament will be full in the extremely near future. Look at the original post to see how many spots have been reserved by each school.

We are still looking for moderators.
David Reinstein
Stained Diviner
Auron

We are now full and with a waitlist.
David Reinstein
Stained Diviner
Auron

We now have an opening, and there may be more openings to follow.
David Reinstein
jonah
Auron

Post by jonah »

The list of players entered is available here, and a list of players' first matches is here. All of this is tentative.
Jonah Greenthal
National Academic Quiz Tournaments
jonah
Auron

Post by jonah »

Jonah Greenthal
National Academic Quiz Tournaments
Stained Diviner
Auron

I want to thank Sameen Belal, Mike Laudermith, Rohan Nag, Bhanodai Pippala, and Andrew Wang for contributing to the set.

I want to thank Gregory Burgener, Tim Coughlan, Michael Douglas, Jason Dutmers, Tom Egan, Ryan Fedewa, Brad Fischer, Bruce Fitzgerald, Carolyn Gerhardt, Linda Greene, Baasit Jamal, Martin Kelley, Phyllis Kidd, Denise Kreb, Matt Laird, Mike Laudermith, Jonathan Legendre, Michael Lindvall, Danielle Long, Sharon Lorinskas, Dylan Minarik, Ali Nagib, Dina Nagib, Zoelle Nagib, Neva O'Laughlin, Cyd Paulsen, Greg Peterson, Noah Prince, Joe Promisco, David Riley, Michael Sacks, Brad Savage, Mike Sorice, James Stankevitz, Alaina Vasta, Elizabeth Waldorf, Andrew Wang, and Ben Yang for staffing the tournament.

I especially want to thank Jonah Greenthal for helping edit the questions, writing the software that allows us to keep and project stats, and staffing the tournament. His work on this tournament was absolutely extraordinary.
David Reinstein
Good Goblin Housekeeping
Auron

Post by Good Goblin Housekeeping »

CONGRATULATIONS TO COLE TIMMERWILKE FOR BREAKING THE MORNING CHAMPION'S CURSE
Andrew Wang
Illinois 2016