Best teams in your state?

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
NRLYAGODD
Lulu

Post by NRLYAGODD »

Yeah... I'm glad you mentioned it and not us. Well, we were hoping to get beyond the first round, but we didn't play that well. I think your team was tired too cause your captain pulled out a few last second answers. Oh well, maybe we'll get another shot at ya'll. Are you going to PACE or Myrtle by any chance?
einstein must die
Lulu

Post by einstein must die »

cookeville was 146-8
in 1984 i was hospitalized for approaching perfection
-silver jews
CaddoJeff
Kimahri

NAQT this year.

Post by CaddoJeff »

We've played at many NAQT tournaments this year. Among them the LA and TX Championship. We won LA easily. TX we lost to St. John's and came away with second.
ManiacalClown
Lulu

Post by ManiacalClown »

Let's see...I know Cutter lost to us at Northside in the final and lost to Catholic on a challenge at over-all state in the semi. I don't know where that third loss came from. Tell us, Jason, tell us!
ericblair
Wakka

Pikeville

Post by ericblair »

:?: :roll: as a member of the Pikeville team in Kentucky, i can tell u that we are weakest in non Gov. CUp format....the Dunbar tourney had two worksheets to choose from, one hard and one not as difficult, and we chose the hard one while the other team got the easier one leading to our demise at that tournament....
Eric Blair
Pikeville '04
Georgetown College '08
Currently vagabonding in other countries
ger8045
Kimahri

Re: Pikeville

Post by ger8045 »

ericblair wrote::?: :roll: as a member of the Pikeville team in Kentucky, i can tell u that we are weakest in non Gov. CUp format....the Dunbar tourney had two worksheets to choose from, one hard and one not as difficult, and we chose the hard one while the other team got the easier one leading to our demise at that tournament....

I wouldn't be so hard on yourself. The questions each round were very inconsistant. For example my team Johnson B lost to Detroit Catholic A by 40. While Pikeville A beat us by 100 or so points. I think Pikeville A was one of the better teams in the tournement they just happened to make a bad choice.
ericblair
Wakka

panasonic

Post by ericblair »

my team is going to panasonic as the state champs not as an allstar team,,,,,we'll probably get killed
Eric Blair
Pikeville '04
Georgetown College '08
Currently vagabonding in other countries
Kevin
Wakka

Post by Kevin »

Jeff from Caddo--I actually miscounted in my original post. 4 of the five times Jesuit has played Caddo with full-strength (or just about full-strength) teams on both sides y'all have beaten us. We won one of three games at LAAC and lost two games at NAQT. The only tournaments I'm using for those five games are LAAC and Louisiana NAQT, and you certainly brought your full-strength sides for those tournaments (we had pretty much our best side at LAAC but were a little bit weaker at NAQT). As far as I know, the only other time Jesuit played Caddo this year was at ESA. I don't know the strength of Caddo's team there, since I wasn't there, but we were only able to send juniors and sophomores. Our varsity lost to Caddo in the finals and our JV team beat Caddo in the finals.

A warning to non-Louisiana teams: don't count Caddo out. They're having a great year and are really strong in NAQT format. If they have their best players at NAQT nationals, look out. I don't know if they will win but they can certainly scare just about anybody in the country.
cvdwightw
Auron

California Teams

Post by cvdwightw »

You bring up a good point. Not every good team is in Michigan or near the East Coast. For anyone who's counting, California has the fifth place (or T-5th) team in the last two NAQT championships.

Since we (Capistrano Valley) are the only CA team going to NAQT this year, I guess we have the pressure to uphold the tradition, but there are several good teams in California.

1) Capistrano Valley--If we had played competitively at any time in the 5 months between our last tournament and NAQT State, we would have done much better than 9-4, third place.
2) Bentley--This year's state champs, and their best players are juniors. If only they were going to NAQT...I want another crack at these guys.
3) San Dieguito--Easily the hottest team in California (18-4 over the last two tournaments, which is pretty hot for the parity we seem to have).
4) Torrey Pines--The best one-man team in California...I wonder if they're going to ASCN. Has knocked off every good team in the state except us.
5) Edison--Another strong team as usual.
6) Dana Hills--As strong as Edison or better.
7) Santa Monica--One of the fastest teams I've seen, but they don't know enough to go on game-closing runs.

So, in conclusion, don't underestimate any team going to nationals, regardless of the area it plays in.
eltennis9
Lulu

Post by eltennis9 »

Kentucky Governor's Cup is quite different and is also relatively easier than the out of state tournaments. The tournaments outside Kentucky are usually dominated with humanities, social studies, and literature questions. Governor's Cup is equal in social studies, language arts, math, and science questions. This year, Dunbar lost quick recall because Kentucky teams like Johnson and Pikeville are pretty good and fast. But, Dunbar is still the better team with John Zhang, one of the best in the Southeast and the Teen Jeopardy winner. This year, Dunbar graduates 3 seniors from the starting rotation. That leaves John and three other juniors as starters next year. Dunbar should be good again next year. When next year's starters started JV, they beat DCC A at Spotswood, scared the crap out of Johnathan Hess's Irmo at Ezell Harding, and usually beat the varsity teams they faced.

Top teams in Kentucky
1. Dunbar - JOHN ZHANG and crew are quite balanced.
2. Johnson Central - they are very good and are perennial runner-ups to Dunbar at state in quick; if they played out of state more, they would be more recognizable.
2. Dupont Manual - Manual and Johnson Central are neck and neck. Manual may have more knowledge.
4. Russell - This is a good team with all their starters being juniors this year. They and Dunbar are usually the only Kentucky teams to travel out of state often.
5. Apollo - They were inconsistent this year with one senior answering almost all their questions. But when their on, they can be quite good. They beat Dunbar at the Hart County Tournament.
6. Pikeville - No offense to the state champs in quick recall, but Pikeville is just an extremely quick team.
All the way...
2001NAQTNationalChamps
Lulu

Re: California Teams

Post by 2001NAQTNationalChamps »

cvdwightw wrote:You bring up a good point. Not every good team is in Michigan or near the East Coast. For anyone who's counting, California has the fifth place (or T-5th) team in the last two NAQT championships.

Since we (Capistrano Valley) are the only CA team going to NAQT this year, I guess we have the pressure to uphold the tradition, but there are several good teams in California.

1) Capistrano Valley--If we had played competitively at any time in the 5 months between our last tournament and NAQT State, we would have done much better than 9-4, third place.
2) Bentley--This year's state champs, and their best players are juniors. If only they were going to NAQT...I want another crack at these guys.
3) San Dieguito--Easily the hottest team in California (18-4 over the last two tournaments, which is pretty hot for the parity we seem to have).
4) Torrey Pines--The best one-man team in California...I wonder if they're going to ASCN. Has knocked off every good team in the state except us.
5) Edison--Another strong team as usual.
6) Dana Hills--As strong as Edison or better.
7) Santa Monica--One of the fastest teams I've seen, but they don't know enough to go on game-closing runs.

So, in conclusion, don't underestimate any team going to nationals, regardless of the area it plays in.
Given the size of the state of California, I don't think consistently holding down 5th place is all that impressive.
Wedge
Lulu

Wisconsin & Illinois

Post by Wedge »

Wisconsin's Quiz Bowl league is very young (we had our Second Annual State Championship tournament just this year) so there aren't too many teams. Here's my view of the few I know:
1. Rufus King
2. Conserve
3. Wayland Academy
4. Oshkosh West
5. Regis

Since there really is no league in Wisconsin, my team (Rufus King) plays most of our matches in Illinois tournaments. Here's my view of Illinois for the year 2002-2003:

1. Wheaton North
2. New Trier
3. Stillmann Valley
4. Rockford Guilford
5. Rockford Auburn
rhentzel
Rikku

California Teams at the 2003 NAQT HS NCT

Post by rhentzel »

cvdwightw --

I think you may have gotten your wish; Bentley just registered for the HS NCT.

-- R. Robert Hentzel
President and Chief Technical Officer,
National Academic Quiz Tournaments, LLC
CaddoJeff
Kimahri

Post by CaddoJeff »

Thanks for the encouragement Kevin. We will try to win NAQT, although one of our players is flyng into SC at 11AM on Saturday...
CaddoJeff
Kimahri

Post by CaddoJeff »

Oh yeah, he's our captain too. Oh well, the rest of our team plays better without him anyway.
bimmerman
Kimahri

top teams

Post by bimmerman »

well, i notice that you all don't mention any other teams in tennessee besides cookeville. there are many other quality teams in the state. we would have beaten St. Andrews without one of our starters except for the fact that their coach is a prick and cried about a question that they got wrong to a young reader who gave them the points. i hope we get the chance to face them again. well, if they are in cleveland maybe we will.....
you wanna talk some jive coltrane?
gosaints
Lulu

dear bimmerman

Post by gosaints »

Bimmerman,

What school do you play for? What tournament are you referring to where you had an issue with the SA coach?
bimmerman
Kimahri

Post by bimmerman »

i play for the feet. it was at UT-C and it was a question that st andrews missed about the language on the isle of man. the coach whined about it and got a young reader to give them the points, probably because the reader felt sorry for st andrews because two of its male players were wearing makeup.
alch2
Lulu

Post by alch2 »

LOL! THIS IS GONNA BE INTERESTING. FIGHT, FIGHT, FIGHT...lol
Wedge
Lulu

Peace

Post by Wedge »

Can't we all just get along?
gosaints
Lulu

mmmmmmmmmmmm

Post by gosaints »

This is very interesting. I am the coach of which you speak. Let me address your concerns.

1. The reader in question has been a moderator at UTC for years. He has a tremendous amount of experience. The inexperienced person in this matter is you.

2. My player answered the question correctly. I did not lodge any form of protest. The moderator asked your captain what he thought, and your captain graciously offered my player the points. He is a very classy young man.

3. Your coach (who was not there that day) is one of the nicest guys I've encounted while coaching quiz bowl. We have kept in touch over the past two years. I imagine that he would be truly disgusted to know that you were calling people (especially adults) vulgarities on this board. Remember, you (and your words) represent him also.

4. Why are you so caught up over one quiz bowl match? It's supposed to be fun. My male players were wearing makeup that day because they thought it was funny. It was funny. Rethink your priorities in life.

5. I rarely lodge formal protests in matches (I've only done so twice in my entire career). I did not do so in the match in question because your captain made it unnecessary. I probably would have if it had come down to it because it is my job to do what is in the best interest of my team.

I hope you will now have the decency to apologize, as you have embarassed yourself and offended me. If you are sincerely sorry, then I will accept your apology. I also recommend that you apologize to your team members, as you represent them with your presence here.

Regards,

Morris Mitchell
St. Andrew's Episcopal School
2001NAQTNationalChamps
Lulu

Having played many a southern tournament last year, I can vouch for two things:

A) Morris Mitchell and his St. Andrew's team are class acts

B) If I'm thinking of the correct McMinnville, you guys suck.
alch2
Lulu

Post by alch2 »

i thought he was from webb. i hear they're pretty good.
Sancro
Kimahri

Post by Sancro »

Actually, I play with that team (not on it, necessarily) and they are easily one of the better teams in the universe. Don't mess with the FEET!!! :twisted:
"You bolted out of that limo like R. Kelly after a school bus." -The Badgett
bimmerman
Kimahri

reply to gosaints

Post by bimmerman »

alright here we go,
i knew all along that you were the coach of which i spoke, i am not stupid. before i begin, i will apologize for my choice of words, i have not been around you enough to warrant calling you a prick. however, on that occasion i do feel that you tried to take advantage of our coach not being present by trying to make it appear as though your captain answered correctly. but as to your "bullet points," here goes:

1. i honestly do not remember who the reader was and do not care. your team was incorrect and everyone knew it. inexperience is all from what point of view you take. sure i havent been around quiz bowl for 20 years, i am only 18 years old. however i have been around quiz bowl of many types for longer than probably 80% of the players out there, and that includes the top players. don't get me wrong again, i am not saying i am better than them by any stretch of the imagination, only that i have been around the game as long, if not longer than the majority of players.

2. in response to the following, "My player answered the question correctly. I did not lodge any form of protest." this is completely wrong. one of your players said the correct answer to your captain, your captain then said the answer incorrectly to the reader. the reader told him that the answer was incorrect. to this you responded (pardon me if this isnt word for word but i am positive that it is at least 90% correct) "oh come on, that was right." our classy captain (one thing you were right about) then was asked if he thought it was right and, it being the prelims, said he didnt care. the point was then dropped and we continued play.

3. our coach- again, correct, a class act. he might be disgusted, but you were wrong, my actions on this message board do not reflect him. he was not present at the tournament, and i in no way am trying to make it seem like he agrees with these opinions. i represent him when i am at a tournament, and i try to do it with dignity and honor.

4. priorities in life.....your team was having fun by putting on makeup.....anyway, i would have to say that our team has as much fun as any other team i have ever faced. we get along great and have a blast whether we win or lose. i am not caught up in that match, notice my, "i hope we can face you again." not a threat, i just want to show you and other schools across the nation that tn has many great programs and we as a whole deserve to be respected. our captain is one of the greatest players in the nation and i see his name nowhere on this site. he has an exceptional knowledge of topics ranging from nordic mythology to operas to the toronto blue jays and the beatles. i want people to recognize up and coming programs such as ours and many others around the nation.

5. never in any of my postings did i say you lodged a formal protest. i said quite the opposite. my captain made it unnecessary because he showed more maturity than you, sir.

as for an apology here it is, i am sorry for calling you a prick, it was too harsh. however, i still believe that you tried to bully our team and the reader into giving you the points. as for embarrasing myself, i do not feel embarrased at all for standing up for my beliefs and opinions. i feel that i should have chosen my words more carefully, but my opinions were right on target. and as for apologizing to my team, they know that i would never go to the extreme of making it appear as though i am speaking for my team or my school. this posting is under my name and no one elses. i do not wish that anyone that reads these postings will think anything less of my school afterwards. you can think anything of me, because that is who i represent, i am no one else's voice. i realize that i jumped the gun and i apologize to everyone for my brashness. gosaints, i await your reply.
snhou
Lulu

Post by snhou »

Yes, Cookeville, Walton, and Dorman are probably overshadowing everyone in their respective states this year. I think that you, Ezell-Harding, Central, us (Fort Mill), and Dorman B are better than we're getting credit for (especially Dorman B. They're not only overshadowed by being the other SC team, they're overshadowed as a B team. But then, anybody would be a B team compared to the best team in the country...)
gosaints
Lulu

final words

Post by gosaints »

you said:

"we would have beaten St. Andrews without one of our starters except for the fact that their coach is a prick and cried about a question that they got wrong to a young reader who gave them the points."

The reader you are referring to is very experienced and was not bullied in any way. Our captain mispronounced the answer, which does not make it wrong. Your captain agreed that we deserved the points.

you also said:

"the coach whined about it and got a young reader to give them the points, probably because the reader felt sorry for st andrews because two of its male players were wearing makeup."

The reader didn't give us the points, your captain did. It sounds like you should take issue with him. As for the makeup comment, I couldn't agree with you more. I honestly believe that we won most of our matches that day based on the sympathy the moderators felt for our team because our male players were wearing makeup. You are a bright one!

then you said:

"i knew all along that you were the coach of which i spoke, i am not stupid. before i begin, i will apologize for my choice of words, i have not been around you enough to warrant calling you a prick. "

You probably shouldn't be calling anybody pricks on message boards. It's just a bad idea, plus some people view it as disrespectful.

and some more:

"our coach- again, correct, a class act. he might be disgusted, but you were wrong, my actions on this message board do not reflect him. he was not present at the tournament, and i in no way am trying to make it seem like he agrees with these opinions. i represent him when i am at a tournament, and i try to do it with dignity and honor."

You have a lot to learn about how your actions reflect upon others that are associated with you. As for your dignity and honor, your posts speak for themselves.

more from you:

"i just want to show you and other schools across the nation that tn has many great programs and we as a whole deserve to be respected. "

You team has been respected; look at the last poll on this site. I'm sure your posts will only increase the respect that people around the nation have for you. Good work!

and:

"our captain is one of the greatest players in the nation and i see his name nowhere on this site. he has an exceptional knowledge of topics ranging from nordic mythology to operas to the toronto blue jays and the beatles."

Byron is a great player, no doubt. I'm not sure that he has really been tested on a national level this year, but he is stellar.

I still feel that you have really missed most of the points related to your behavior. I have passed your comments on to your coach, as I am now through with you.

Good luck to the rest of your team at PACE. We are not going to PACE this year, so you will unfortunately have to carry the UTC injustices with you forever. :(
Last edited by gosaints on Thu Jan 08, 2004 2:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bimmerman
Kimahri

Post by bimmerman »

i agree completely, many b teams are not respected for the sole reason that they are a b team. i have all the respect in the world for the cookeville program and their b team could have made it very far in the state tourney. one of their players in particlar, josh bo is great. but again, not only are these players very smart, but josh bo is a cool guy outside of the match as well. anyway, since you threw out dorman b i felt compelled to mention one the the best b teams in tennessee.
Pistachio
Lulu

B teams

Post by Pistachio »

TJ has had a very strong B team this year, mostly made up of sophmores and sometimes one or two juniors...At the Spotswood tournament, our B team beat teams like Blake and Lee to get to the finals, and we then beat Gonzaga (who had beat our A team in the semifinals). We're sending a B team to NAQT and PACE. We haven't had much of a chance to play with teams outside VA and Maryland, and I know I look forward to playing some of the teams talked about here.
yoyoman
Kimahri

Post by yoyoman »

gosaints,
You are a coach? I am not choosing sides in this discussion because I do not know either of the parties involved, but from what I have read, you are stooping to this kids level. I understand that bimmerman said something offensive to you, but he later apologized for his choice of words. You as an adult and a coach should not have let this agitate you. Kids will be kids. They will not all show respect for their elders, however in the second posting he seemed to try to logically explain himself. I am sorry that you are in the middle of this mess, but I think that you are just as much to blame for egging him on. As a 30 year veteran of college bowl, I have seen many situations similar to this. Most of them turned out fine and I hope that you will try to be the adult and solve this problem with maturity. As of your last posting, this high schooler seemed to be getting the best of you by bringing you to his level and I hope that you will try to bring him to yours instead. As for involving the opposing coach, I believe that you were correct in informing him, but I think that you should try to follow up by trying to get the student to apologize as opposed to getting him in trouble. After all, we all know that if a student realizes their mistake, they are much less likely to make it again. Whereas if they only get into trouble, they develop a hatred of the system and of the game. I would like to see what you think of my ideas as soon as you can respond.
Thank you for letting me voice my opinion.
gosaints
Lulu

yoyoman

Post by gosaints »

Your comments are welcomed and correct. I have indeed been angered to the point of stooping to his level. The original intent of my posts was to try to make him understand how his comments were so incredibly offensive. After reading his most recent post, I truly believe that he has not gotten the messageand that his apology was insincere. I might be wrong about that, but I don't think so.

I now realize that it is not my job to teach him anything. I passed his comments on to his coach because I have a relationship with his coach and I think he would want to know about this.

I probably have a somewhat skewed point of view on this whole matter as I teach/coach at a school where I never encounter such disrepectful behavior from students. I would want to know if my players were engaging in behavior like this, as it would reflect poorly on my team and my school. They would be kicked off the team and suspended from school.

Again, I agree that my anger has gotten the best of me in this matter. I will comment no further.
qbwizard
Kimahri

yuh

Post by qbwizard »

To Gosaints...I'd have to say that bimmerman certainly shouldn't have called you a name in public like this (though it is just a messageboard...let's not take ourselves too seriously), but you did kind of prove his point, man. He accused you of bullying some reader into agreeing with you...so you retort by trying to bully him. You even coerce him so far as to threaten (and then indeed go through with) telling on him to his coach??? hahah. come on man, be a grown up. Also, replying with things like "you are a bright one!" doesn't exactly say much for you.

You correctly said: "You have a lot to learn about how your actions reflect upon others that are associated with you. As for your dignity and honor, your posts speak for themselves. " A little ironic, man. How are you representing your school and your role as a coach? If, as you tattled on bimmerman to his coach, someone had tattled on you and your actions to your principal, how might (s)he view you and how you represented their school?

He definitely had no right to speak against you in such unequivocal terms in such a personal way, no doubt. I don't think anyone can condone that. However, again you don't help your cause because you did the same thing. Looking back to previous posts, I see you publicly/personally denounced the coach of the duke team (or maybe he ws just the head of their tournament or whatever...i assume he isn't a player as he's a doctor, haha) as "irresponsible." This isn't what adults do...airing out their beefs against individuals in a public forum (even if it is for high schoolers), especially when you you try to apply the same criteria to others.

Double standards don't work. Hopefully everyone can in the future be A) more prudent in their choice of words (bimmerman) and B) take things less harshly and act like adults (gosaints). There is a lot to be said for thick skin.

Also, for future reference, perhaps such tifts should be undertaken through private email between the two participants...not that it wasn't interesting to read, haha.
webbfeet
Lulu

Post by webbfeet »

Having read the above postings for the first time, I feel it is best to publish the following announcement:
"Bimmerman" has been dismissed from Webb's team and will not represent the school at PACE. His language on this site was unacceptable, unauthorized, and in no way representative of Webb School.

Ron Smith
Academic Coach
Webb School
gosaints
Lulu

let it die

Post by gosaints »

qbwizard,

I agree with many of your points, although I don't believe that I bullied him at any point. I simply answered his accusations, although the sarcastic comments in my last response to bimmerman were out of line. Also, just to be clear, I never threatened to "tell on him". I simply notified him that I had passed his comments on to his coach.

Looking back over the whole thing, I'm still amazed by the original post. I really have no idea what initially prompted such an attack on me by bimmerman. The match in question took place back in March.

I have been a suppoter of Webb's program for the past two years. What bimmerman doesn't know is that during the last academic year I initiated a number of posts on this message board in support of Webb's team being included in the final poll. We played them at UTC and PACE last year and had a wonderful time.

In the end, I regret the sarcastic comments that I made in my final response to bimmerman, but I stand behind everything else. I will never tolerate my name being slandered, whether it is in person or over the internet.
Last edited by gosaints on Thu Jan 08, 2004 2:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
alch2
Lulu

Post by alch2 »

a bit of philosophy there, eh? : ). well this certainly was entertaining, to say the least, but I'm glad it's over, so we can discuss some more important issues now.
GT_Webb
Lulu

Post by GT_Webb »

I just want to say a few things. I'm not really taking sides on this, just making some impartial observations.

(1) Whoever pointed out that this is a message board is correct. It is. It is a forum where debates will rage over tiny things. I know that I remember matches from five years ago in which I felt like I had been screwed over by an inexperienced moderator or whatnot. This was also an interesting experiment in the arguement that people feel detached over the internet, and will say things they wouldn't say otherwise. I'm sure bimmerman would not have referred to gosaints as a "prick" had this been in person, but as a message board people tend to detach themselves from normal behavior. That said, I can't say that I disapprove of the response of the coach. Regardless of what bimmerman says, in high school bowl players are EXPECTED to behave as representatives and ambassadors of their school to others. Regardless of what he thinks of the matter, he is still seen as such. While I sometimes notice an attitude that a coach is in some way superior to his players, I've found that the best coaches (and teachers) are ones that you tend to think of as friends, and treat players like adults and, since most of these players are near there, should be. However, they also therefore need to learn responsibility for actions. Bimmerman should have KNOWN that he was representing his team (coach and players), and his actions reflect poorly upon him. He could have made his point without much of the language, and should have exercised discretion in that. I myself keep the rule that when I post I stipulate that it's my own opinion and not that of the Georgia Tech Academic Team and I should be thought of as a separate entity in such affairs, etc. etc., and in college bowl that usually works better than in high school. It's just environment, and bimmerman should have known his environment. So yes, I agree with the decision.

(2) Flame wars on message boards should be expected. Such is life on the internet. I've been part of many, usually with the same anonymous person. Don't take them too personally.

(3) Charlie is an excellent tournament director and editor (he runs incredible numbers of tournaments each year, I know he has 3 college then 3 trash the next day, and one masters/trash tournament over the summer at least, plus one he's havine in June, and however many he has for high school) so the question was probably not worded poorly. Also, his moderators are always very experienced, I've yet to encounter one that is totally lost. While his tournaments may run more slowly than others, the moderators he pulls out are of a quality far and away better than most high school run tournaments (largely because he pulls from college players who have been doing this forever). Pinning it on Charlie or one of his moderators is unprofessional.

(4) I am now curious to see the question, answer, and what the captain is.

(5) All this said, I just want to comment that this is an example of taking the game too personally. It's a game, and supposed to be fun. My coach is one of the most cut-throat players/coaches ever, and he still has the mentality that if it's not fun then don't do it. He demands a lot, and expects a lot, but he does it in such a way that you enjoy the trip to meeting his expectations. Name-calling is just outright unprofessional, and while there may be clusters of people who start flame wars, it just reflects poorly upon them. To gosaints, if you just let it go, we'll see how immature he was behaving and disregard. To bimmerman, in the future realize that stating facts and your opinion is enough; don't involve the personal character of the other people.

Okay, that's it.

-Stephen Webb
GaTech Academic Team
Golden Tiger 86
Tidus

Post by Golden Tiger 86 »

I agree with Stephen's post. Having played at UTC numerous times (including the Moc and Muck Masters tournaments in August), I will certainly vouch for Charlie Steinhice to be one of the best directors I've ever seen. If it is true that the captain said it wasn't a big deal, how is this Mr. Mitchell's fault. I have played against both teams, and I must say that Mr. Mitchell, Mr. Smith, and Byron were extremely classy and friendly. Maybe in the future, Bimmerman will choose his words more carefully, especially since he got kicked off the team. I hope he can move forward from this.
ugadawg
Kimahri

Post by ugadawg »

2) Flame wars on message boards should be expected. Such is life on the internet. I've been part of many, usually with the same anonymous person. Don't take them too personally.
How about this flame war - TECH SUCKS!!!! :wink:

J/k, Stephen. Drop me an email sometime as I have a question/story for you.
NoahMinkCHS
Rikku

Post by NoahMinkCHS »

GT_Webb wrote:Regardless of what bimmerman says, in high school bowl players are EXPECTED to behave as representatives and ambassadors of their school to others. Regardless of what he thinks of the matter, he is still seen as such.
Most definitely. That's why I, for one, always check and recheck my posts to make sure I'm not saying anything that would reflect badly on me or my school. Even when you personally know the person posting, most times it's "so and so from Central" and not the person as an individual. When I can, I show my posts to one of my teammates who makes sure that what I'm saying is correct and doesn't make me/us look whiny, arrogant, or any of those other things that annoy us when other people do them.

Certain schools may get a bad rap as far as conduct goes because of the acts of just one or two of their players (and I don't mean online, I mean in actual tournaments). Everyone should assume that when they claim to be from a specific team/school, they're representing that team, even when they say they aren't.
aflowerd
Lulu

Post by aflowerd »

GT_Webb wrote:
While I sometimes notice an attitude that a coach is in some way superior to his players, I've found that the best coaches (and teachers) are ones that you tend to think of as friends, and treat players like adults and, since most of these players are near there, should be.
-Stephen Webb
GaTech Academic Team
I think this may in fact be my first post, strangely enough. I agree with most of what you said Mr. Webb with the exception of the quoted statement above. I played for Howard Weinberg for 4 years and let me tell you the man was not even close to being a friend. In fact, as I'm sure Joe can attest to, when you play for the man you usually despise him.

I heard a quote about Scotty Bowman (Perhaps the best hockey coach ever, for our southern friends who may or may not know who he is :D ) " You hate the man 364 days out of the year, but when you lift that cup at the end of the year he is your favorite person in the world. " I have often felt that that quote could be attributed to Mr. Weinberg as well. I could get into many examples of why his players could not stand him some times, ( "You will not go on spring break, you will be here having double practice sessions" ), but it would be pointless.

After graduating, I coached for two years. My first year I was a coach to freshman. The second year when I moved to coaching juniors and seniors who were closer to my age, I treated the players more as friends.

As Joe can tell you again, the first year where I "coached", the results were unheard of. My second year, where I was a friend, the results were less than stellar.

Joe will likely tell you I had little to do with the results the first year and rather it was a remarkable collection of freshman including him. :D But I would like to think I had a small part in their success.

Thats neither here nor there however, my point is that while I take a small amount of credit for coaching those freshman to an outstanding season, I take a large amount of credit for the poor performance of teams I coached the second year because I was more of a friend/acquaintence then a coach.

Just my two cents worth.
2001NAQTNationalChamps
Lulu

Flowerdog, give yourself some credit. The amazing success of the 72-0 freshman team was not entirely the doing of myself and Mark Kehres (I refuse to give Adam any credit for anything at all ever). You had to manage some pretty big egos, and a perceived feud between Mark and myself. (I for one never habored any ill will towards him, he claims he never disliked me either, and at any rate it's moot now since we are best friends) I have no problem with a coach that puts his foot down, as long as he isn't arbitrary or capricious (an affliction which Weinberg suffers from).
aflowerd
Lulu

Post by aflowerd »

Thanks Joe. Anyway, would you agree with my assessment that eventhough Weinberg seems awful most of the year when you won NAQT he seemed less awful?
jrbarry
Tidus

Post by jrbarry »

My team, Brookwood, ended up 110-16 this year. We will play at NAC-New Orleans next week. This also marks the end of my 25th year in coaching quiz bowl in Louisiana and Georgia. Lotta changes in those 25 years.
NoahMinkCHS
Rikku

Post by NoahMinkCHS »

The End? Mr. Barry, say it ain't so!

Are you retiring from teaching or just coaching? And who will take over the Brookwood Dynasty? And... who will run the Largest and Best High School Tournament in America?
Just wondering...
gosaints
Lulu

Post by gosaints »

Rick,

You're not leaving coaching are you? You've been a great help to me over the past year. I really appreciate all the advice. I think it has really made a big difference for our teams this year.

Thanks for everything!

Morris Mitchell
St. Andrew's Episcopal School
NoahMinkCHS
Rikku

Post by NoahMinkCHS »

Ah, I'm sorry, I think I forgot how to read.

I read that "end of my 25th year" as "end of my 25 years". So I think Mr. Barry will be back after all.

Thank goodness! lol
Byko
Yuna

Post by Byko »

Oh yeah, Rick'll be back. Heck, you've still got another 5-10 years left on your coaching contract, right? :wink:

Actually, you'll likely be seeing more of me next year--I'll be moving back down to South Carolina this summer and should probably be there for a good long while, so there's at least one more person you can count on to help with your tournament this year.

Dave
harshrealm
Lulu

Post by harshrealm »

He gets paid the big bucks as academic team coach, since that's where the money is :D
"Our greatest glory lies not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."
2001NAQTNationalChamps
Lulu

aflowerd wrote:Thanks Joe. Anyway, would you agree with my assessment that eventhough Weinberg seems awful most of the year when you won NAQT he seemed less awful?
This is certainly the truth.
jrbarry
Tidus

Post by jrbarry »

I am not retiring though several of my current players probably think I should!