Best teams in your state?

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
MCDoug
Lulu

Post by MCDoug »

people still say "word" in that way?

you're such a dork ;-)
just for that i'm going to make you practice even more this week.
kelli
Lulu

Post by kelli »

well...you can say your going to make me practice more...but we all know who really runs the team :wink:
Paragon1
Lulu

Post by Paragon1 »

hey, i used to live in Palm city until 8th grade and I went to hidden oaks. I'm a senior now, but Id be curious to know who's on the MCHS quiz bowl team. I probably knew some of you back in the day.
MCDoug
Lulu

Post by MCDoug »

just about all the team went to stuart middle. (that's where the good gifted program was at the time) what's your name? i'll ask the kids at practice if you want.
kelli
Lulu

Post by kelli »

i went to hidden oaks for a while my 6th grade year....and i went to PC elementary...
Paragon1
Lulu

Post by Paragon1 »

im Ben O'Donnell. i went to PCE and knew most of the gifted SMS kids from PCE or academic games, so some of them may remember me from back in the day. whos on your team?
kelli
Lulu

Post by kelli »

ben!! i remember you!! im kelli wood, blonde hair, blue eyes, freckles.. we had mrs dale or mrs pratt or some one together in elementary school...and we were in gifted togetehr for the beginnign of 6th grade? i was on academic games with you and i got in big trouble for doing stupid stuff... you moved because your dad worked wiht pratt and whittney..? i think? jeremy regan is on our team... hed be the only one youd know from quizbowl... well good to hear from you and that your doing QB...
Paragon1
Lulu

Post by Paragon1 »

yup, sure do. i figured it might be you because i couldnt think of any other kellis from sms that i knew in elementary school. me, you, and a few other kids always did the best at academic games and we were always intensely competitive...but then, academic games was pretty intense stuff. the name jeremy regan sounds familiar...thats all i can say. basically, our qb team started like a month ago with me and a few friends screwing around, but we went to a CT tournament at yale on saturday and won, so i guess we'll be more serious now. we're gonna try to get some cash to go to the NAQT championships or more likely the PACE NSC in june, i dont know if you guys go to either of those...
MCDoug
Lulu

Post by MCDoug »

we'll probably be at NAQT nats. What team do you play for?
kelli
Lulu

Post by kelli »

thats awesome ben:) im glad to hear you guys are doing well in QB. ya, we'll probably do naqt nationals this year (dont! go to chip beall nats- terrible tournament). well Im me sometime @ daria2501... very interesting to hear from you again- are you guys going to brookwood?
Paragon1
Lulu

Post by Paragon1 »

if brookwood is the one in GA, then no, thats way too far for us. i go to avon hs in ct. maybe youve heard of simsbury? i dont know, but theyre supposed to have a decent team and we're right near them. whether we go to the NAQT will depend on where it is probably, since most likely it will be far away. anyway, ill definitely drop you a line...what a coincidence...
kelli
Lulu

Post by kelli »

hmmm, no, cant say ive ever heard of simsbury... and i totally understand the distance limiting traveling to tournaments...imagine living in south florida when the majority of the tournies are up your way..
buzzermaster
Lulu

Post by buzzermaster »

Here's my updated top five (or so) for Arkansas this year:

1. Benton. Although they have lost to us twice, both losses were either due to weird format twists or difficult questions slowing the pace of the game. DJ and Adam are both very knowledgable and insanely fast.

2. Cutter Morning Star. We haven't lost yet, but I fear that day is coming.

3. Watson Chapel. They've gotten a little smarter and a LOT faster. They regularly make it to the semis.

4. Little Rock Central. If Lawrence, Laura, and Sunny ever came on the same day, they would be close to unstoppable. They have incredible depth by Arkansas standards. Case in point: 3rd, 4th, and 5th place finishes at Watson Chapel.

5t. Centerpoint, Fort Smith Northside, Conway, etc. I couldn't really make up my mind on this one.
ManiacalClown
Lulu

Post by ManiacalClown »

Disregarding my own team because I'm obviously biased...

Cutter
Watson Chapel
Centerpoint
LR Central

After that, it's a blur.

And Jason, you need to check the accuracy of the Pulitzers in drama that are listed in your fact finder. ;)
einstein must die
Lulu

Post by einstein must die »

what happened to northside?
in 1984 i was hospitalized for approaching perfection
-silver jews
buzzermaster
Lulu

Post by buzzermaster »

Omigosh, the Cambridge Factfinder is wrong! So much for the notion of a universal credible source of information. We still beat you by 60. :)
Matt Weiner
Sin

Post by Matt Weiner »

buzzermaster wrote:Omigosh, the Cambridge Factfinder is wrong! So much for the notion of a universal credible source of information. We still beat you by 60. :)
What, the "blue book"? That thing's waaaay overrated.
ManiacalClown
Lulu

Post by ManiacalClown »

buzzermaster wrote:Omigosh, the Cambridge Factfinder is wrong! So much for the notion of a universal credible source of information. We still beat you by 60. :)
Just warning you that I'm going to lobby for it to be disqualfied as a credible source come state tournament time. It kinda pissed me off.

And yeah, you still beat us by 60 because we had to choose between two categories--one we didn't know and one we might know. Unfortunately, we didn't know it. :cry:
ihatenicksaban
Lulu

Post by ihatenicksaban »

Could someone answer Einstein's question? I thought Northside used to be a really good team.
ManiacalClown
Lulu

Post by ManiacalClown »

They were pretty average last year. I haven't seen anything out of them so far this year that would indicate they've returned to form.

I'm sure they'll be back, though.
moncal
Kimahri

Fact Finder

Post by moncal »

I know that the pulitzers for drama was wrong but does that make the whole book wrong? It mad me mad too but the factfinder is still a good source.
Anyway Jason don't get cocky. You're going down. There is no play called shakes, shanks, whatever it was. Oh Jason get some new shoes.
ManiacalClown
Lulu

Post by ManiacalClown »

The only one being overly cocky here is you. I suggest you tone down the arrogance a level or two, or you better hope we have enough for a B team.
ihatenicksaban
Lulu

Post by ihatenicksaban »

Moncal we have a term for what DJ just did to you. It is called being "tossed," and it was awfully entertaining.
steven-lamp
Rikku

Post by steven-lamp »

Image[/img]
moncal
Kimahri

Post by moncal »

The comments i have made were not ment to be offensive. I was trying to be funny and it is obvious that i failed miserably. Please disregard any comment that i have made. :(
ManiacalClown
Lulu

Post by ManiacalClown »

Thank you, sir. :)
ericblair
Wakka

Post by ericblair »

tops in KY: Governor's Cup format

1) Dunbar
2) Russell
3) Pikeville
4) Johnson Central
5) Dupont Manual
6) Apollo

Out-of-State format

1) Dunbar
2) Dupont Manual
3) Russell
4) Pikeville
5) Apollo
6) Johnson Central
Eric Blair
Pikeville '04
Georgetown College '08
Currently vagabonding in other countries
MCDoug
Lulu

Florida's top ten

Post by MCDoug »

Florida as of December 9th:

1. Martin County
2. Ransom
3. Leon
4. Vero Beach
5. Rickards
6. Pensacola
7. Vanguard
8. Walchulla
9. Lincoln
10-t. Eastside
10-t. Hardee
A_Lisan_al_Gaib

Post by A_Lisan_al_Gaib »

I have to comment, if i may. Whatever our opinion of the round with Ransom, they did beat us. I would place Ransom 1st, or at least them tied with us for first, since we have won a greater volume of tournies and had a higher point differentials in the rounds we played. Congrats to them for rallying after a first day loss to beat us. Also, though less important, i would put Wachula higher, and Vanguard lower. Though we beat Wachula by a healthy margin, the top scorer did get kind of flustered, and i think he swould have played better under normal circumstances.
KentB
Kimahri

Post by KentB »

Missouri

1. Savannah - always good, lost 2 key starters, can't tell the difference
2. Westminster Christian- lost 1 starter, have chance to take top spot
3. Parkway Central- have the infamous Jimmy Li (not really infamous but top scorer in the state in any class)
4. Liberty- retained senior Michael Richards who is very good and has good supporting cast
5. Richland- should be good again this year
6. Notre Dame (cape girardeau)- biased here for some reason
7. SLU High- don't know much about, they don't play many tournies but are usually good
8. Thomas Jefferson Independent- continual powerhouse of division 1
9. Mound City- ? no comment
10. Bell City- Retain a guy that is a machine but has no supporting cast
Hank
Kimahri

Best Teams: Missouri

Post by Hank »

1. Savannah
2. Westminster Christian
3. Parkway Central
4. Richland
6. Liberty
7. Cameron
8. Truman
9. North Kansas City

After these it doesn't really matter. Savannah has a bright future. I marked no 5th place, because someone must be better than Liberty that I forgot to mention. (I hate Liberty!)
raisinsnacks
Kimahri

Post by raisinsnacks »

ARKANSAS

1. Fort Smith Southside
2. Conway
3. Benton
4. Fayetteville
5. Little Rock Central
6. Watson Chapel
7. Rogers
8. Fort Smith Northside
9. Dardenelle
10. Alma

yeah ... i don't have a clue
Abolish NAQT.
buzzermaster
Lulu

Post by buzzermaster »

I would probably put Benton and FS Southside as #1 and 2, not necessarily in that order. Conway will be competitive, but there might be an adjustment period since they lost their entire A team. Central has great depth but lacks consistency. I would expect Watson Chapel to have something of an off year. Walnut Ridge might pull a few upsets at the state tournament.
raisinsnacks
Kimahri

Post by raisinsnacks »

Hey Jason, is there going to be another Cutter/Morning Star tournament this year? Last year's was probably the best fun I've ever had at quiz bowl.

Thanks.
wampus04
Kimahri

Post by wampus04 »

Conway won't be nearly as competitive this year as we have in the last three years. We have one senior who's decent, and very little in the way of supporting juniors (my little brother is taking a year off, and he's probably the best of the juniors). Our sophomore class will be impressive given a year or two of development, hopefully then we'll get back to where we were this year. I know very little about the rest of the teams apart from Benton and Southside probably being 1-2 (and primarily one-man teams, Adam and Nick respectively, with assorted random supporting crew)...Central has a lot of potential, and if Lawrence could keep a level head, they'd have a great chance at challenging both of those teams simply because there's more than just Lawrence on that team. Northside I also forsee being primarily Caleb as they graduated their other three A-teamers I believe, and I'm not sure how much of a threat they'll be, though Caleb is pretty good. This year I think is a statewide rebuilding year with most A-teams just having one big gun and less competition than we had last year (with Conway, Southside, Northside, Cutter, Benton...even Dardanelle, PA, and Vilonia all being crazily competitive).
I'm wampus04 and I approve this message.
buzzermaster
Lulu

Post by buzzermaster »

I plan on writing a tournament this year with the location yet to be determined. It'll either be at Cutter or at Harding U, depending on which location is better for most teams.
WCWildcat04
Kimahri

Post by WCWildcat04 »

Chapel is going to definately have an off year. The team will basically consist of DJ and Sam, and while DJ definately improved over the past year, he isn't going to be enough to keep the team up to par with previous years. Watch out next year though, as he will more than likely be as good as I was, and maybe as good as Bob. Chapel will, of course, host it's usual tournaments, though I have no clue as to when. I'll be involved in reading, and possibly in some of the writing. Still, it should be an interesting year for Arkansas QB. I'm looking forward to seeing who will step up with some of the noticable vacancies in the roster. As for a list of top teams, I don't have a clue, but I'll try...
1. Benton, they still have Adam, and he will probably have gotten better
2. FS Southside, don't know who they kept, but they killed us last year
3. LR Central, I agree with Matt(?), if Lawrence can keep focused, he will be dang good, and he isn't the only one
4. umm...I don't really know. Northside might have some problems with their coach gone, Chapel DEFINATELY has some rebuilding to do, as does Conway. So really, it's anybody's game from 4th on down, and maybe on up as well.
As you can see, I'm clueless. Oh well, just shows how interesting it will be. Oh, and Jason, try and contact me sometime soon. I'll find someway to give you my email.
buzzermaster
Lulu

Post by buzzermaster »

Bryan, drop me a line at [email protected].
Wedge
Lulu

Post by Wedge »

For Wisconsin this year, the word is "rebuilding." Rufus King's team has all graduated, leaving behind one very talented junior and some other scattered talents. If King can organize, they might be heard again this year.
From what I've heard, Conserve's coaches and about 80% of its team are gone. I don't expect much out of them this year (unless what I've heard is wrong.)
Wausau West is quite strong and should win Wisconsin easily this year. They return 3 players from a strong 2003-2004 team. All 3 have experience at nationals against TJA, so they know who they have to beat to be at the top.