Kentucky Teams

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
Captain Aardvark
Kimahri

Kentucky Teams

Post by Captain Aardvark »

Which teams are going to be good in Kentucky??
Cogito cogito ergo cogito sum.

No Sollositing On Premise
Yuna

Post by No Sollositing On Premise »

I really hope this doesn't turn in to a scenario like this time last year with the board being flooded by pikeville trolls. Still, I'll try and answer intelligently.

I was very impressed by Dupont Manual at the Cav Open this year. In the playoffs match that I read for them, they demonstrated both depth, speed, and that they enjoyed playing as much as they did winning. Not to mention that they topped a field including some very strong teams (Dorman, Gov, RichMo, Blake, the list goes on). If there are more teams of their caliber in Kentucky then everyone else should be careful.
Mike Sollosi, University of Virginia

mps4a_mps4a
Wakka

Post by mps4a_mps4a »

they didn't just top the field; they fairly easily won over all the other teams. For the teams I've seen this year, they're the only team who might be able to give TJ a run for their money. I know nothing else about Kentucky except that Dunbar is always really good too, but being a national championship contender has to translate into being good statewise.

Manyo2
Lulu

Post by Manyo2 »

I think that Manual, Dunbar, and Russell have the best chances. The quick recall format makes depth of knowlege a bit less important, with the emphaisis being breadth and speed.

Sharky
Kimahri

Teams

Post by Sharky »

i agree with capt. i have no idea who will be good in kentucky if anybody has any theories let me know cause i am cursious

Byko
Auron

Post by Byko »

I think, after today, it's almost a "Who WON'T be good in Kentucky this year" situation. So far this year, I've seen Dunbar, Danville, Daviess County, Johnson Central, and Pikeville and been impressed by all of them. Russell was strong last year (especially in their performance in a TOUGH semifinal room at Panasonic) and routinely seems to be a solid competitor. I haven't seen duPont Manual, but from the results so far, they could be scary--their JV team last year that won at Dorman looked like it was better than a LOT of varsity teams I've seen and could hold its own reasonably well at a national competition.

I'm just hoping that we in South Carolina don't get matched up with Kentucky at Panasonic this year!

where it's at
Kimahri

gov cup

Post by where it's at »

ya danville was a surprise for me this year; i even heard that they beat manual in one match - even though i think manual started its B team;l but still this year's governor's cup is a tossup;

it's almost funny how three of the brackets are stacked with solid teams while one is really open - that's one problem that i have with their bracket system; it's too random

Manyo2
Lulu

Post by Manyo2 »

Where it's at, you are right about Danville, they did beat us at Hart Co. minus a couple of starters and are the only KY team to do so as of yet. As far as bracketing, I agree with you completely, the one quad that you are talking is very wide open, while the other three all have at least two very strong teams. Hopefully we'll make it to the quarterfinals at state and maybe meet up with you guys there. Good luck.

eltennis9
Lulu

Post by eltennis9 »

Danville always had the talent (from middle school stalwart Bate), but never the right coach to work them in high school. Matt Knupp (former JV coach at Dunbar), who does post on the forum, became their coach this year and has molded their relatively new team into what it is now.
All the way...

where it's at
Kimahri

gov cup

Post by where it's at »

That is true - I really don't know Mr Knupp that personally - only by name but it is obvious that he has a lot of knowledge to pass on - it'll be interesting to see if he and his team can pull off an apparent upset - as most people would see it as - if danville beats dunbar in the second round; if they do, they would have to be considered the favorite in their quarter of the draw

jrbarry
Yuna

Post by jrbarry »

Matt Knupp is one of the best HS quiz bowl coaches in the US. He will be very successful at Danville.

mhanna
Wakka

Post by mhanna »

Ditto on JR's comments about Matt Knupp. He is an outstanding coach and his influence is demonstrated by his team's play.

Mac Hanna
Aiken

solonqb
Tidus

Post by solonqb »

I was VERY impressed by Danville when we played them at Dunbar. They beat us in the prelims, and we managed to inch by them in the playoffs. If Mr. Knupp brings his team to Chicago, look for some serious upsetting to happen.
Noah Rahman
Welcome to Simbabwe, where the property is already owned and the houses built and you compete to burn and dispossess them. Compete with Robert Mugabe, Canaan Banana, Cecil Rhodes and Sir Godfrey Huggins to earn a place on the all-time EU travel ban list!

ericblair
Wakka

Post by ericblair »

Matt Knupp is definitely one of the most respected coaches in the state. I've noticed that he just seems to always be in a good vibe with his players all the time. It seems like he can always be there for his players like a friend but when the time comes for him to be the authority figure and get his players on track, then he also accomplishes that task very well.

I've noticed that this year in KY quizbowl has been somewhat different. Johnson Central is not a powerhouse at all in KY this year and Danville and Madisonville-North Hopkins has emerged into the quizbowl scene as respected competitors. Personally, I think that this has been a good year for KY quizbowl. Of course, this had to happen the year I left KY quizbowl.
Eric Blair
Pikeville '04
Georgetown College '08
Currently vagabonding in other countries

donut
Kimahri

Post by donut »

so does anyone miss potato and tomato because i do and what about mongoose and i hate sam keathley

solonqb
Tidus

Post by solonqb »

donut wrote:so does anyone miss potato and tomato because i do and what about mongoose and i hate sam keathley
No. And no one will miss you either.
Noah Rahman
Welcome to Simbabwe, where the property is already owned and the houses built and you compete to burn and dispossess them. Compete with Robert Mugabe, Canaan Banana, Cecil Rhodes and Sir Godfrey Huggins to earn a place on the all-time EU travel ban list!