Going Into the New Season as a Relatively New Team

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
JTakang21
Lulu

Going Into the New Season as a Relatively New Team

Post by JTakang21 »

This was our (Douglas County High School)'s first year competing in the"mainstream" quiz bowl circuit in Georgia. We were fairly successful this season; we qualified for HSNCT twice and finished 4th in the state, pulling off some upsets along the way. However, I just wanted to know what we should do in the off season do gear up for next year in terms of studying, public relations/ team promotion, and recruitment/team building. If it helps, as captain, I have set our team's Fall Semester goals as getting ranked in Fred Morlan or HSQB's Top 200 by December, securing Nationals funding by March, and getting invited to and being competitive at Marist's Winter Invitational Tournament.
Josiah Takang
Douglas County High School (GA) '15
Kennesaw State University (GA) 'xx
Jeopardy Contestant '14
Mod, ILQBM
1992 in spaceflight
Auron

Re: Going Into the New Season as a Relatively New Team

Post by 1992 in spaceflight »

Figure out what your best categories are and get really good at them. There's a variety of ways you can study (reading packets, reading books on various topics, reading poetry, watching films, etc.). Also, though, I would try and improve at your weakest subjects as well.

For team recruitment, just talk to people about what quizbowl is and see if they're interested. I invited a couple of my teammates to practice after finding out they were interested in quizbowl because I knew them from other things on campus.
Jacob O'Rourke
Washington (MO) HS Assistant Coach (2014-Present); MOQBA Secretary (2015-Present)
Formerly: AQBL Administrator (2020-2023); HSAPQ Host Contact; NASAT Outreach Coordinator (2016 and 2017); Kirksville HS Assistant Coach (2012-2014); Truman State '14; and Pacific High (MO) '10

Like MOQBA on Facebook and follow us on Twitter!
The Stately Rhododendron
Rikku

Post by The Stately Rhododendron »

Don't pay attention to rankings, just read a lot over the summer.
IKD
Yale 18
Oakland Mills 14
"I am the NAQT beast I worship."
Great Bustard
Auron

Post by Great Bustard »

Go to ACE Camp. It's a great team-building exercise, and far and away the place you're likely to get the most practice playing questions over the summer.
David Madden
Ridgewood (NJ) '99, Princeton '03
Founder and Director: International History Bee and Bowl, National History Bee and Bowl (High School Division), International History Olympiad, United States Geography Olympiad, US History Bee, US Academic Bee and Bowl, National Humanities Bee, National Science Bee, International Academic Bowl.
Adviser and former head coach for Team USA at the International Geography Olympiad