2014 IHSA

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
jonah
Auron
Posts: 2337
Joined: Thu Jul 20, 2006 5:51 pm
Location: Chicago

Re: 2014 IHSA

Post by jonah »

Grams's Go-Go Boots wrote:
Ydiwa wrote:Dextromethorphan I heard a few times but I wouldn't have gotten it off the acronym.
Since this is pertinent to my interests: how did this work exactly?
Based on piecing together various eyewitness reports to reconstruct the scene of the crime, IHSA regionals round 1 tossup 8 wrote:This common over the counter drug, abused by one out of every ten teenagers, is the active ingredient found in Robitussin and Nyquil as well as other OTC cold medications. Its use is often described as "robo-tripping" and its four different dosage levels are referred to as plateaus. In large doses it can cause major hallucinations, and when combined with alcohol, it can lead to death. Name this OTC drug with street names such as Poor Man's PCP, Skittles, and DXM.
Answer: [Accept an early answer of Robitussin or Nyquil; prompt an early answer of Robo or Poor Man's PCP or Skittles or DXM; prompt "CCC" and "triple C" and "red devils" and "orange crush".]
dextromethorphan
Dubious uncited surveys, non-unique clues, the giveaway as the first potentially buzzable clue, no substantive science content — you name the problem, IHSA regionals provides it!
Jonah Greenthal
National Academic Quiz Tournaments

User avatar
The Bold Ideas of Bernie Sanders (I-VT)
Tidus
Posts: 716
Joined: Tue Aug 02, 2011 11:43 pm

Re: 2014 IHSA

Post by The Bold Ideas of Bernie Sanders (I-VT) »

Ok, if these sets are so bad, why do teams versed in pyramidal QB even play the state series? Is there some mandate in the IHSA rules, or do they all simply enjoy matching shirts?
Adam Sperber
Hickman '10, Northwestern B '14

" 'Yay, more Adam Sperber' --Nobody " --Cody Voight

jonah
Auron
Posts: 2337
Joined: Thu Jul 20, 2006 5:51 pm
Location: Chicago

Re: 2014 IHSA

Post by jonah »

merv1618 wrote:Ok, if these sets are so bad, why do teams versed in pyramidal QB even play the state series? Is there some mandate in the IHSA rules, or do they all simply enjoy matching shirts?
Their administrations force them to; basically, if they don't, they're not allowed to play normal events either.
Jonah Greenthal
National Academic Quiz Tournaments

User avatar
Stained Diviner
Auron
Posts: 4815
Joined: Sun Jun 13, 2004 6:08 am
Location: Chicagoland
Contact:

Re: 2014 IHSA

Post by Stained Diviner »

jonah wrote:
merv1618 wrote:Ok, if these sets are so bad, why do teams versed in pyramidal QB even play the state series? Is there some mandate in the IHSA rules, or do they all simply enjoy matching shirts?
Their administrations force them to; basically, if they don't, they're not allowed to play normal events either.
It is not that cut and dry.

A lot of coaches and students want to play the tournament because they like the large scale and the history of it. Some of them are even convinced that doing well in the IHSA tournament will increase the profile of the team in the eyes of administrators, students, and the community. Furthermore, people didn't believe me when I told them that the tournament would be noticeably worse this year.

A lot of administrators support the tournament because they have no idea that there is anything wrong with it. Nobody has told them otherwise, or they assume that the coach who told them something just wants to have the day off or has reasons that are personal rather than professional. Coaches are sometimes hesitant to bring things up because they are worried that the administration will have difficulty distinguishing between the IHSA Tournament and the activity overall. If students and coaches went to the administration and told them about the problems, then administrators would at least be able to make an informed choice. Many administrators would still make the wrong choice because administrators tend to make bad decisions, but some of them might be reasonable.
David Reinstein
PACE VP of Outreach, Head Writer and Editor for Scobol Solo and Masonics (Illinois), TD for New Trier Scobol Solo and New Trier Varsity, Writer for NAQT (2011-2017), IHSSBCA Board Member, IHSSBCA Chair (2004-2014), PACE Member, PACE President (2016-2018), New Trier Coach (1994-2011)

User avatar
heterodyne
Rikku
Posts: 417
Joined: Tue Jun 26, 2012 9:47 am

Re: 2014 IHSA

Post by heterodyne »

In addition to what Mr. Reinstein said, it should be noted that many schools give extra funding to activities sponsored by the IHSA. Without that money, Bloomington certainly would not be able to attend the number of tournaments that we do.
Alston [Montgomery] Boyd
Bloomington High School '15
UChicago '19
UChicago Divinity '21
they

User avatar
Irreligion in Bangladesh
Auron
Posts: 2096
Joined: Thu Jul 08, 2004 1:18 am
Location: Winnebago, IL

Re: 2014 IHSA

Post by Irreligion in Bangladesh »

ether a go-go wrote:Some of them are even convinced that doing well in the IHSA tournament will increase the profile of the team in the eyes of administrators, students, and the community.
The students don't care -- the team understands the issue and the other students will believe whatever we tell them in the announcements. But the community only hears about IHSA because that's all we can get the paper to report; they don't care about quizbowl in general, but will report any results that say IHSA. Quizbowl gets on the front page of the paper once a year; Saturday, March whateverth, with Auburn holding up their trophy. So, because the community is only ever aware of us for this, it's actually correct that the "profile of the team" is increased there. It's a trivially small factor, I'm sure, but when you're a private school in a city with half a dozen other private high school options, you can't throw away publicity opportunities like that, or so my admins tell me.

I've talked with my AD, my principal, and my head of school about the issues with last year's events and the probable issues with this year's questions. They've agreed with me that this is a problematic, questionable event; they agree with me that our 5th place finish at Masonic State this year was our keystone event for this year; they agree with me that the IHSA questions this year were pathetic compared to years past, and they believed me on this before we heard tossup 1 on Monday night. Whether they're just humoring me and nodding when I complain about it or they actually agree and would prefer to not compete, I don't know, and it doesn't matter.

Essentially, it boils down to "bad quizbowl being better than no quizbowl." That's a statement that I disagree with personally, but I understand why dozens of reasonable, informed coaches, myself included, ended up under its yoke this past week.
Brad Fischer
Head Editor, IHSA State Series
IHSSBCA Ombudsman

Winnebago HS ('06)
Northern Illinois University ('10)
Assistant Coach, IMSA (2010-12)
Coach, Keith Country Day School (2012-16)

User avatar
Marble-faced Bristle Tyrant
Yuna
Posts: 851
Joined: Fri Feb 08, 2008 11:05 pm
Location: Evanston, IL

Re: 2014 IHSA

Post by Marble-faced Bristle Tyrant »

Based on piecing together various eyewitness reports to reconstruct the scene of the crime, IHSA regionals round 1 tossup 8 wrote:This common over the counter drug, abused by one out of every ten teenagers, is the active ingredient found in Robitussin and Nyquil as well as other OTC cold medications. Its use is often described as "robo-tripping" and its four different dosage levels are referred to as plateaus. In large doses it can cause major hallucinations, and when combined with alcohol, it can lead to death. Name this OTC drug with street names such as Poor Man's PCP, Skittles, and DXM.
Answer: [Accept an early answer of Robitussin or Nyquil; prompt an early answer of Robo or Poor Man's PCP or Skittles or DXM; prompt "CCC" and "triple C" and "red devils" and "orange crush".]
dextromethorphan
Wow, you're right. This question is a crime.
Farrah Bilimoria
Formerly of Georgia Tech and Central High School (Macon)

User avatar
AKKOLADE
Sin
Posts: 15542
Joined: Thu Apr 24, 2003 8:08 am

Re: 2014 IHSA

Post by AKKOLADE »

jonah wrote:
Grams's Go-Go Boots wrote:
Ydiwa wrote:Dextromethorphan I heard a few times but I wouldn't have gotten it off the acronym.
Since this is pertinent to my interests: how did this work exactly?
Based on piecing together various eyewitness reports to reconstruct the scene of the crime, IHSA regionals round 1 tossup 8 wrote:This common over the counter drug, abused by one out of every ten teenagers, is the active ingredient found in Robitussin and Nyquil as well as other OTC cold medications. Its use is often described as "robo-tripping" and its four different dosage levels are referred to as plateaus. In large doses it can cause major hallucinations, and when combined with alcohol, it can lead to death. Name this OTC drug with street names such as Poor Man's PCP, Skittles, and DXM.
Answer: [Accept an early answer of Robitussin or Nyquil; prompt an early answer of Robo or Poor Man's PCP or Skittles or DXM; prompt "CCC" and "triple C" and "red devils" and "orange crush".]
dextromethorphan
Dubious uncited surveys, non-unique clues, the giveaway as the first potentially buzzable clue, no substantive science content — you name the problem, IHSA regionals provides it!
I have a new all-time favorite bad question! Thanks, IHSA!
Fred Morlan
PACE President, 2018-19
International Quiz Bowl Tournaments, co-owner
University of Kentucky CoP, 2017
hsqbrank manager, NAQT writer (former subject editor), former hsqb Administrator/Chief Administrator, 2012 NASAT TD

User avatar
heterodyne
Rikku
Posts: 417
Joined: Tue Jun 26, 2012 9:47 am

Re: 2014 IHSA

Post by heterodyne »

Could someone with a mysteriously good memory share the text of the treaty of Lodi tossup?
Alston [Montgomery] Boyd
Bloomington High School '15
UChicago '19
UChicago Divinity '21
they

User avatar
Rococo A Go Go
Auron
Posts: 2246
Joined: Sat Jan 10, 2009 1:08 am
Location: Louisville, KY

Re: 2014 IHSA

Post by Rococo A Go Go »

Grams's Go-Go Boots wrote:
jonah wrote:
Grams's Go-Go Boots wrote:
Ydiwa wrote:Dextromethorphan I heard a few times but I wouldn't have gotten it off the acronym.
Since this is pertinent to my interests: how did this work exactly?
Based on piecing together various eyewitness reports to reconstruct the scene of the crime, IHSA regionals round 1 tossup 8 wrote:This common over the counter drug, abused by one out of every ten teenagers, is the active ingredient found in Robitussin and Nyquil as well as other OTC cold medications. Its use is often described as "robo-tripping" and its four different dosage levels are referred to as plateaus. In large doses it can cause major hallucinations, and when combined with alcohol, it can lead to death. Name this OTC drug with street names such as Poor Man's PCP, Skittles, and DXM.
Answer: [Accept an early answer of Robitussin or Nyquil; prompt an early answer of Robo or Poor Man's PCP or Skittles or DXM; prompt "CCC" and "triple C" and "red devils" and "orange crush".]
dextromethorphan
Dubious uncited surveys, non-unique clues, the giveaway as the first potentially buzzable clue, no substantive science content — you name the problem, IHSA regionals provides it!
I have a new all-time favorite bad question! Thanks, IHSA!
This question was brought to you by the Just Say No club at IHSA headquarters. Don't do drugs, kids.
Nick Conder
Kentucky Quizbowl Alliance

jonah
Auron
Posts: 2337
Joined: Thu Jul 20, 2006 5:51 pm
Location: Chicago

Re: 2014 IHSA

Post by jonah »

This Urn Is So Grecian wrote:Could someone with a mysteriously good memory share the text of the treaty of Lodi tossup?
Searching through the NSA files reveals that IHSA regionals round 1, tossup 17 wrote:The probable impetus for this treaty was the success of the Ottoman Turks at Constantinople, which encouraged diplomatic cooperation among the principal states of the Italian peninsula. In 1454, Venice and Milan signed this treaty, which ended years of border hostilities. This treaty led quickly to a mutual non-aggression pact by its signing parties as well as Florence, Naples and the Papal States. That alliance was known as the Most Holy League or the Italian League. Name this treaty signed by Milan and Venice in Lombardy at a city on the banks of the Adda River.
I don't know much about this personally, but comparing this to the small number of questions with this answer from real tournaments (all of which are from very hard college or open tournaments, mind you!) indicates that the second sentence is the giveaway. (Which makes sense; the giveaway repeats that information.)
Jonah Greenthal
National Academic Quiz Tournaments

User avatar
PBird#48
Kimahri
Posts: 3
Joined: Sun Mar 02, 2014 5:56 pm
Location: Brighton, IL

Re: 2014 IHSA

Post by PBird#48 »

There seems to be an excessive amount of miscellaneous social studies blended in with the history in the decks. There should not be a philosophy, economics, religion, AND government question all together in each round.

Also, myth classified as lit is just wrong.
Kaeden Kessinger
Southwestern HS '16
Piasa, IL

User avatar
zachary_yan
Lulu
Posts: 76
Joined: Wed Mar 13, 2013 11:56 pm

Re: 2014 IHSA

Post by zachary_yan »

PBird#48 wrote:Also, myth classified as lit is just wrong.
Largely hypothetical question here, but why? All of what we know of as mythology, especially that of the quizbowl canon, is from a written source. The earliest examples of literature are mythologies. Also, where do guys like Snori Sturleson, Elias Lönnrot, and Homer fit in? Granted, secondary and tertiary sources are preferred studying methods for quizbowl and academics alike, but still it's not that much of a stretch for mythology to be considered literature. There's got to be some credence to myth being in the NAQT lit distro.
Wayzata '13
St. Olaf College
Wayzata middle schools assistant

Birds2013
Lulu
Posts: 14
Joined: Mon Dec 23, 2013 3:46 pm

Re: 2014 IHSA

Post by Birds2013 »

Myth has a belonging in the question distribution, but it is very debatable on where it should be placed. While I guess having it in lit is acceptable and reasonable, it seems like it should just have it's own category, much like religion. Grant it, there is no press to do so, but it makes sense. Myth may be a bit over-represented in the current distribution, but it is a great outreach tool as nearly every team has one solid myth player. While that knowledge may be rather incidental, it still helps teams lower on the ladder pick up points and score a few more than they would have otherwise produced. Quick question: What is the actual distribution for religion questions?
Daniel Woodman

Southwestern (Piasa) HS 2013

Birds2013
Lulu
Posts: 14
Joined: Mon Dec 23, 2013 3:46 pm

Re: 2014 IHSA

Post by Birds2013 »

I do agree that the history was somewhat faint. Even though I am by no means a history expert, it may have contained the most obscure/difficult answerlines.
Daniel Woodman

Southwestern (Piasa) HS 2013

Birds2013
Lulu
Posts: 14
Joined: Mon Dec 23, 2013 3:46 pm

Re: 2014 IHSA

Post by Birds2013 »

One more question: Why was hunger games and King considered lit while Christie was assigned as misc?
Daniel Woodman

Southwestern (Piasa) HS 2013

User avatar
dtaylor4
Auron
Posts: 3733
Joined: Tue Nov 16, 2004 11:43 am

Re: 2014 IHSA

Post by dtaylor4 »

Birds2013 wrote:Myth has a belonging in the question distribution, but it is very debatable on where it should be placed. While I guess having it in lit is acceptable and reasonable, it seems like it should just have it's own category, much like religion. Grant it, there is no press to do so, but it makes sense. Myth may be a bit over-represented in the current distribution, but it is a great outreach tool as nearly every team has one solid myth player. While that knowledge may be rather incidental, it still helps teams lower on the ladder pick up points and score a few more than they would have otherwise produced. Quick question: What is the actual distribution for religion questions?
For the IHSA tournament? It's in the rules document:

Geography, CE, Gov't, Psychology, Sociology, Religion, Philosophy, Econ, Poli Sci: combined 2/2.

Myth gets 1/1 as part of the Lit distro. From my experience, this is fairly standard. One can touch on mythical things in other parts of the distribution, but in those cases it is driven by the text of the question, not the category or answer line.

You fail to grasp how opaque the writing/editing process is with regards to the IHSA. I wrote for the set this year, and only know a handful of other people involved in writing the set. I do not know their roles, and only know of them through mass emails.

User avatar
Stained Diviner
Auron
Posts: 4815
Joined: Sun Jun 13, 2004 6:08 am
Location: Chicagoland
Contact:

Re: 2014 IHSA

Post by Stained Diviner »

Birds2013 wrote:One more question: Why was hunger games and King considered lit while Christie was assigned as misc?
Because one of the writers assigned to write Literature wrote questions on Hunger Games and King, while one of the writers assigned to write Miscellaneous wrote a question on Christie. The question writers have discretion to interpret what the categories should or should not include.
David Reinstein
PACE VP of Outreach, Head Writer and Editor for Scobol Solo and Masonics (Illinois), TD for New Trier Scobol Solo and New Trier Varsity, Writer for NAQT (2011-2017), IHSSBCA Board Member, IHSSBCA Chair (2004-2014), PACE Member, PACE President (2016-2018), New Trier Coach (1994-2011)

Birds2013
Lulu
Posts: 14
Joined: Mon Dec 23, 2013 3:46 pm

Re: 2014 IHSA

Post by Birds2013 »

Ah, I see. Thanks.
Daniel Woodman

Southwestern (Piasa) HS 2013

User avatar
heterodyne
Rikku
Posts: 417
Joined: Tue Jun 26, 2012 9:47 am

Re: 2014 IHSA

Post by heterodyne »

Alston [Montgomery] Boyd
Bloomington High School '15
UChicago '19
UChicago Divinity '21
they

User avatar
mahir256
Lulu
Posts: 10
Joined: Tue Jan 24, 2012 12:57 am
Location: somewhere in Illinois
Contact:

Re: 2014 IHSA

Post by mahir256 »

We plan to make a killing on Friday, if the scheißeness of the questions allows it.
I'm glad that people south of I-70 are recognized in Class A.

EDIT: Remove the inflammatory comment.
Last edited by mahir256 on Thu Mar 20, 2014 9:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mahir Morshed
Illinois '19
Carbondale '15

User avatar
Emil Nolde
Wakka
Posts: 212
Joined: Sun Dec 18, 2011 3:54 am
Location: Illinois

Re: 2014 IHSA

Post by Emil Nolde »

mahir256 wrote:Oh, it's wonderful how even the spotty make the All-State list. (*cough*James*cough*)
We plan to make a killing on Friday, if the scheißeness of the questions allows it.
I'm glad that people south of I-70 are recognized in Class A.
Oh, the irony. My head is spinning from so much irony.

Anyway, good luck for tomorrow, everyone.
James Zetterman
Carbondale Community High School '15
SIU Carbondale '19 or thereabouts

Keep your expectations low.

SamD
Kimahri
Posts: 1
Joined: Thu Mar 20, 2014 10:57 pm
Location: Bloomington, IL

Re: 2014 IHSA

Post by SamD »

This Urn Is So Grecian wrote:For anyone who hasn't seen, the All-State results were posted.
http://www.ihssbca.org/awards/2014aa_allstate.php
http://www.ihssbca.org/awards/2014a_allstate.php
Congratulations to all on these teams!

Congrats to you, Alston! As I am sure most of you on this board know, Alston has put in a lot of work in the past year in order to better himself. Work that I never considered doing, which is why I am a mediocre player on the team. His work ethic is reflective of his character as I, by having pleasure to play with Alston for the past three years and witnessing his tremendous growth, can think of nothing but positive things to say about Alston.


The Earl on the other hand...
Samuel Doud
Bloomington High School '14
American University

User avatar
Maxwell Sniffingwell
Auron
Posts: 2163
Joined: Sun Feb 12, 2006 3:22 pm
Location: Des Moines, IA

Re: 2014 IHSA

Post by Maxwell Sniffingwell »

With one game to play:

IMSA is 2-0. A win against Bloomington puts them through to the final. A win for Bloomington and a win for winless Springfield against Carbondale puts Bloomington through. Wins for Bloomington and Carbondale would make a circle of death, with (losing) IMSA needing 250 and (winning) Bloomington needing 380 - whoever clears their mark by more would make the final. In the event that neither does, Carbondale would be in.

OPRF is 2-0. A win against Auburn puts them through to the final. A win for Auburn and a win for winless UC-Lab against Stevenson puts Auburn through. Wins for Auburn and Stevenson would make a circle of death, with OPRF effectively eliminated and Auburn needing to hang 450 on OPRF to advance - otherwise, it'd be Stevenson through.

Update: IMSA vs Stevenson for first, Auburn vs Carbondale for third.
Greg Peterson

Northwestern University '18
Lawrence University '11
Maine South HS '07

"a decent player" - Mike Cheyne

User avatar
Maxwell Sniffingwell
Auron
Posts: 2163
Joined: Sun Feb 12, 2006 3:22 pm
Location: Des Moines, IA

Re: 2014 IHSA

Post by Maxwell Sniffingwell »

Congratulations to IMSA, your 2014 Illinois State Champions for Class AA!
Greg Peterson

Northwestern University '18
Lawrence University '11
Maine South HS '07

"a decent player" - Mike Cheyne

User avatar
TheDoctor
Rikku
Posts: 380
Joined: Fri Aug 29, 2008 12:34 pm

Re: 2014 IHSA

Post by TheDoctor »

And to Litchfield, Class A champs!
Kristin Strey
SCOP
Head Coach, Winnebago High School (2014-)
Assistant Coach, IMSA (2010-2012)
Northern Illinois University Quiz Bowl Association founder

jonah
Auron
Posts: 2337
Joined: Thu Jul 20, 2006 5:51 pm
Location: Chicago

Re: 2014 IHSA

Post by jonah »

Fixed that for you.
Jonah Greenthal
National Academic Quiz Tournaments

remake20
Lulu
Posts: 38
Joined: Mon Feb 04, 2013 5:05 pm

Re: 2014 IHSA

Post by remake20 »

How on earth does the 3-way tiebreaker work? I can come up with no possible way in which Carterville gets put third in pool 1 of Class A.
Andrew T.
Litchfield '15

User avatar
dtaylor4
Auron
Posts: 3733
Joined: Tue Nov 16, 2004 11:43 am

Re: 2014 IHSA

Post by dtaylor4 »

remake20 wrote:How on earth does the 3-way tiebreaker work? I can come up with no possible way in which Carterville gets put third in pool 1 of Class A.
Per IHSA rules, you throw out the game against the common opponent, and only look at scores between teams in the circle of death.

Carterville had 350
Urbana U-High had 360
Lisle had 470

remake20
Lulu
Posts: 38
Joined: Mon Feb 04, 2013 5:05 pm

Re: 2014 IHSA

Post by remake20 »

dtaylor4 wrote:
remake20 wrote:How on earth does the 3-way tiebreaker work? I can come up with no possible way in which Carterville gets put third in pool 1 of Class A.
Per IHSA rules, you throw out the game against the common opponent, and only look at scores between teams in the circle of death.

Carterville had 350
Urbana U-High had 360
Lisle had 470
Well, then I seem to have made gigantic addition errors. How embarrassing.

EDIT: Err, rather I included the game against Athens.
Andrew T.
Litchfield '15

User avatar
mhasquin
Lulu
Posts: 96
Joined: Sat Feb 16, 2013 8:09 pm
Location: Piasa, Illinois
Contact:

Re: 2014 IHSA

Post by mhasquin »

Andrew...

Congratulations to Litchfield and Coach Lamore. We were cheering for you back here in Piasa. You have made the South Central Conference very proud of your efforts this season. Good luck at NAQT Small School in Minneapolis.
Matt Hasquin
Scholastic Bowl Coach - Southwestern High School - Piasa, Illinois
IHSSBCA Chair

Locked