Livingston HS March Madness NAQT - Saturday, March 15, 2014

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
Guybo
Wakka

Livingston HS March Madness NAQT - Saturday, March 15, 2014

Post by Guybo »

Hello everyone! Happy New Year!

I am pleased to announce that Livingston HS, in Livingston, NJ, will be hosting its annual March Madness Quiz Bowl tournament on Saturday, March 15, 2014.

http://www.hsquizbowl.org/db/tournaments/1953/

SET: We are going to be using NAQT set IS-132 (this was used at Phoenixville (PA) in November)

TEAMS: We can host up to 48 teams. Initially, I will take a cap of 3 teams per school and, by February 15, one month before the tournament, will put all additional teams per school into the field. For the moment, all teams beyond 3 will be put on the wait list.

ROUNDS: We are planning on a round robin of preliminary rounds (depending on number of teams) followed by lunch and then playoffs to follow. We aim to let each team have at least 10 rounds.

START TIME: Check in/registration between 8 - 8:30 with a moderator meeting at 8:30 and a welcome at 8:45 with round 1 to start at 9:00. We aim to be done with the tournament by 5:00.

FOOD: A great, high quality bagel (with butter and cream cheese) and orange juice breakfast will be provided free of charge. We will be selling pizzas in the morning (order that morning upon arriving to check in) as well as selling slices, waters, sodas and other food/snacks throughout the day, most all of which will cost $1 each. This is our team fundraiser so we would appreciate your support!

FEES:
$80 for the first team
$70 for each additional team from the same school
Discounts of $15 for each moderator (as needed) and $10 for each buzzer set (as needed)
Max discount of $45 per school

HOW TO REGISTER: Registration will constitute an email from the TEAM COACH/ADVISOR confirming attendance and registration as well as how many (if any) buzzer systems and/or moderators you will be able to bring. Our email is [email protected] which you can use to register and for further inquires. Information/field updates will also be posted and updated on this hsquizbowl.org forum here so please check/monitor this. Please understand that posting on the forum does not constitute officially registering nor any official communication with the team. Email is best way to communicate.

PAYMENT: Please make all checks out to "Livingston High School" and either bring with you to the tournament or mail to the below address at my (Guy Rabner) attention. Please try to make sure that payment is in by tournament time. If you require a pre-tournament invoice in order to have a check cut, please let us know ASAP or by March 1 so that we can send you the invoice in sufficient time.

Livingston High School is located at 30 Robert H. Harp Drive, Livingston, NJ 07039-2634. We're close to major interstates and only a 1/2 hour drive to Manhattan.

Looking forward to seeing you in March!

Guy

Current Field (to be updated as registrations are received):

School, # of teams, # of buzzer sets, # of moderators

Mountain Lakes 4, 3, 1
Millburn 2, 2, 0
North Babylon 2, 3, 0
Ridgewood 1, 2, 0
MAST 3, 0, 1
St. Joseph 2, 2, 1
West Windsor-Plainsboro (South) 1, 0, 0
Hunter 3, 1, 0
St. Peter's Prep 1, 0, 2
Scarsdale 1, 1, 0
Columbia 1, 0, 0
Phillipsburg 2, 1, 1
East Brunswick 3, 1, 0
Bergen Academies 1, 1, 0
High Tech 3, 1, 0
Colonia 1, 0, 1
Seton Hall Prep 2, 5, 1
Bergenfield 1, 0, 1
Bloomfield 1, 0, 0
Han Al HS 1, 0, 0
West Essex HS 4, 0, 0
Jonathan Dayton HS 1, 0, 0
Chatham HS 2, 0, 0
Ranney 1, 0, 0

Total 44 teams, 24 buzzers, 9 moderators

Wait list

Jonathan Dayton B
Last edited by Guybo on Fri Mar 14, 2014 7:13 pm, edited 25 times in total.
Guy Rabner
Spanish and Italian teacher
Academic Team coach
Livingston HS (NJ)
Guybo
Wakka

Re: Livingston HS March Madness NAQT - Saturday, March 15, 2

Post by Guybo »

To let everyone know, our tournament has been give "Platinum" affiliation" by PACE, which means that the top 25% of teams will qualify for their national high school quizbowl championship, the PACE NSC, on the weekend of May 24-25th, 2014 at the Hyatt Regency Reston outside of Washington, D.C. The top 15% will qualify for NAQT's national tournament (HSNCT) which will be held outside of Chicago on May 29th-June 1st.
Guy Rabner
Academic Team coach
Livingston HS (NJ)
Guybo
Wakka

Post by Guybo »

We are 1 month (or, since it's February, 4 weeks) from the tournament. Hopefully all of this snow will have melted by then but I'm skeptical!

All schools who have registered please check that the above list of number of teams, buzzers and moderators is correct. There is plenty of leeway time to confirm and make sure that all of your players have committed to attend. Last minute cancellations can wreak havoc on the successful planning and running of a tournament and, unless there is a true emergency, there should be no reason to cancel any tournament at the last minute. Thanks.

A few updates:

1) Mountain Lakes' D team has been taken off the wait list and placed into the tournament bringing the current total to 41 teams. With a cap at 48 that leaves 7 spots left. If we have a week left before the tournament and the total continues to hover at this number, I may change the cap to 42 teams to assure we have numbers that will ensure a successful tournament. We do hope to reach the 48 cap, however.
2) We have no more need for buzzer systems however could use a few more moderators.
3) At this point, the plan is to go with 5 preliminary rounds before lunch, re-bracketing during lunch and 5 rounds after lunch for everyone. After this, we'll play games for final placement, including 1st, 3rd, 5th, etc. place games as well as Division II and Division III final games for the lower brackets, as we did last year. Trophies will be awarded to the 1st through 4th place teams as well as the winners of Division II and Division III.
4) If you would like to order pizzas and want to include them in your checks, I believe they will cost $12 a pie as they did last year but I need to confirm this. If you need to get your checks in the next week or 2, just go with this number and I'll let you know if there's a $1 or 2$ difference.

Please feel free and email me at the above email address with any questions you may have. Thanks!
Guy Rabner
Academic Team coach
Livingston HS (NJ)
Guybo
Wakka

Post by Guybo »

As of today, Jonathan Dayton HS has taken the final spot in the tournament and the tournament has reached its cap/max of 48 teams. Any additional teams that would like to compete may be placed on the wait list in case there are any drops. Hopefully, with a little more than 2 weeks before the tournament, most teams/coaches should be able to be reasonable sure of the attendance of their players so I will hope that no team will drop. I will email all teams either tonight or this weekend for some updates.
Guy Rabner
Academic Team coach
Livingston HS (NJ)
Guybo
Wakka

Post by Guybo »

Palisades Park HS has dropped out and Jonathan Dayton HS's second team is tenuous so there remains ONE spot available for our tournament in 2 weeks. Please email me to let me know if you can/would like to take it.
Guy Rabner
Academic Team coach
Livingston HS (NJ)
Guybo
Wakka

Post by Guybo »

With 3 1/2 days left until the tournament we are stuck at 47 teams, as a team dropped last night. We hopefully can find a 48th team so the tournament can run more smoothly without any byes. If any team can field another team that would be great or, perhaps, we will be able to pool together some teams to do a free "Team USA" of younger players who wouldn't play the whole game and all games and would like to practice with other players fro different teams in the same boat. I will send an email out to all teams either this afternoon or tomorrow to ask this (as well as provide other last minute info), so email me and let me know if you have an extra team or if you have some extra players who would like to be part of this pooled team. Thank you! Looking forward to seeing everyone on Saturday!
Guy Rabner
Academic Team coach
Livingston HS (NJ)
Guybo
Wakka

Post by Guybo »

Tournament is tomorrow and we had the usual few drops. We're contemplating changing our bracketing and will know by tomorrow morning in case we get any more drops or added teams.
Guy Rabner
Academic Team coach
Livingston HS (NJ)
AKKOLADE
Sin

Post by AKKOLADE »

I know y'all are still running the tournament and doing stats, but it's worth noting that High Tech A has greater than 30 ppb in their Seton Hall Prep match.
Fred Morlan
University of Kentucky CoP, 2017
International Quiz Bowl Tournaments, CEO, co-owner
former PACE member, president, etc.
former hsqbrank manager, former NAQT writer & subject editor, former hsqb Administrator/Chief Administrator
Guybo
Wakka

Post by Guybo »

We found our mistake and we'll upload an updated score soon.
Guy Rabner
Academic Team coach
Livingston HS (NJ)
Guybo
Wakka

Post by Guybo »

Congratulations to Ridgewood HS on defeating a full High Tech A team to capture this year's Livingston March Madness tournament title. There were some enjoyable, competitive, well played games on all levels today, I think. Prelim stats are up here http://www.hsquizbowl.org/db/tournaments/1953/ and playoff stats and final game scores we hope will be up either tonight or tomorrow. Please check the link periodically. Feel free and comment on stat errors as needed.

We apologize to teams for the unwanted delay at lunch time and the extended day we had today and hope that the waiting and length of time there did not inhibit your enjoyment of the games too much.

Thanks to all of the moderators and coaches for their time and effort in reading, helping with stats, etc. and the players, too, for your sportsmanship and patience with everything.
Guy Rabner
Academic Team coach
Livingston HS (NJ)
Guybo
Wakka

Post by Guybo »

To let everyone know final playoff placements:

1st: Ridgewood d. High Tech A 410-305
3rd: Hunter A d. MAST A 425-195
5th: High Tech B d. St. Joseph's A 345-255
7th: Hunter B d. North Babylon A 290-245
9th: East Brunswick A d. Millburn A 380-270
11th: Hunter C d. Millburn B 325-255
13th: Bergen tied with Scarsdale (mutual forfeit)

In the Division II championship: "Pirates" d. Seton Hall Prep A 380-215
In the Division III championship: East Brunswick C d. MAST B 265-155

Ridgewood, High Tech A and B, Hunter A and B, MAST A and St. Joseph's qualify for the HSNCT (NAQT) National championship tournament
These teams and North Babylon, East Brunswick, Millburn A and Hunter C qualify for PACE's national championship.

Congratulations to all teams!
Guy Rabner
Academic Team coach
Livingston HS (NJ)
Edward Powers
Auron

Post by Edward Powers »

Congratulations to Ridgewood for its extremely impressive run to Livingston's March Madness Championship. What a great showing, powering almost everyone out of their matches!

And I would also be remiss if I did not thank Coach Rabner for allowing the Coaches of NJ to use time during his tournament to elect the New Jersey All State Teams for the 2013-2014 season. And congratulations to the following players for earning the well deserved honors below:

3rd Team All State: From High Tech, Rohan Kodialam; from Mountain Lakes, Michael Wang; from Livingston, Chris Tseng, and from Ridgewood, Ben Bechtold.

2nd Team All State: From High Tech, Sean McBride; from High Tech, Patrick LeBlanc; from MAST, Reuben Keller, and from High Tech, Stephen Badger.

1st Team All State: From Ridgewood, Esther Sun; from Livingston, David Song; from East Brunswick, Shravan Bialaji, and from St. Joe's, Jack Mehr.

And, in a unanimous selection---according to Coach Ibendahl, who counted the votes---the New Jersey Player of the Year for the 2nd consecutive year was Jack Mehr.

So congratulations to all of these deserving players, and a special shout-out to High Tech for placing an unprecedented 4 players on these teams!!!

Also, since Jack Mehr and Shravan Bialaji finished 1st and 2nd in the All State balloting, they are automatically on the NJ NASAT team and may NOT compete for the remaining 4 seats on that team during try-outs on April 12th at the Garden State Academic Competition after St. Joe's GSAC Tournament is completed.
Ed Powers
Coach
SJHS Academic Team
Metuchen, NJ