VHSL Scholastic Bowl: Regional Contenders

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
Journeyman
Lulu

VHSL Scholastic Bowl: Regional Contenders

Post by Journeyman »

Since Regional/State for VHSL is only a couple of months away, I think it is time to take a look into who is performing strong in the regional realignment.

I can only speak for the 1A west regions, but I expect the 1A West to look like:

CONF 45: Radford/Eastern Mont. - Radford should be a lock. EM has Epperly, who averaged 52 PPG at CSI.
CONF 46: Chilhowie/Patrick Henry (GS) - Haven't heard much from this conference, but Chilhowie did make it to state last year.
CONF 47: Honaker/Hurley - Honaker is the likely club to win 1A State this year. They are a motivated club with an incredible assist in Mitchell. At Hurley, we're building from a massive turnover from two years ago.
CONF 48: J.I. Burton/Eastside/Clintwood: Burton is the only lock I have for the conference. Two good scorers on their program. Clintwood and Eastside are pretty evenly matched, so I can't wait to see how it shakes out.

In 2A, Conference 39 should be Grundy and Richlands. Both teams have a good spread of knowledge and depth. Whoever makes it out of 2A West, they should be ready for the Maggie Walker/George Mason show at Williamsburg.

Any thoughts elsewhere in the Commonwealth?
Travis Blankenship
Berea Community High School
Head Coach
Jurassic Park 30th Anniversary Steering Committee
Beevor Feevor
Rikku

Re: VHSL Scholastic Bowl: Regional Contenders

Post by Beevor Feevor »

Well, though I don't really feel like analyzing each specific conference/division, especially because there are so many of them, I'll only talk about the ones that I know something about.

6A: Some of these school attend non-VHSL stuff, but honestly, I have no idea who the favorite is here.

5A: This class should be well-fought this year. Jonathan Leidenheimer and co. are very solid with deep knowledge in history especially for Marshall. TJ has a very well-rounded team this year; their complete A-team (which hasn't shown up to many things this year) probably consisting of Ryan, Nadege, Sid, and somebody else should be a threat at the state level, though they lose some of that with only Ryan returning out of those three players next year. Freeman has also put up fairly good stats over the season, and although they neg a lot, they have shown themselves to be capable of almost beating TJ. Finally, though they are relatively unknown in the greater quizbowl world, Albemarle should be taken into consideration. They've done very well in district play and have a junior player who's very determined to get better. Look out for them to come out of nowhere and surprise everyone. This year's 5A should definitely be closer than previous AAA state championships, with Maggie Walker and TJ cleaning up shop.

4A: Another balanced class! Charlottesville brings back 3 of their 4 starters that were on their 5th place team at AA states last year, but E. C. Glass also has shown that they've reloaded well from last year, tying for 4th at VCU Winter. Both teams have very well-rounded scoring, though Charlottesville's lack of non-VHSL play could possibly hurt them going into the postseason. Loudoun County is also in this class, and they frequently are a middle to top bracket in invitationals, putting them right up there with the aforementioned teams.

3A: Oh look, my class. Although I may be biased, I'm going to say that this is going to be the most competitive conference come VHSL states. My team, which returns two players from the AA tournament last year, does well at invitational tournaments throughout the year but is susceptible to upsets, especially by some of the other teams in this class. Cave Spring brings back James Cole, a frequent top 3 scorer at tournaments who has a wide swath of coverage on many topics and captained his team to 3rd place and tied for 33rd at nationals last year. In the very same conference lie two other powers, and it's a shame that only two teams will be able to make it out, as all 3 have the talent to make it to states. Blacksburg has been on the rise for some time, and their balanced scoring is a nice contrast with James Cole and Christiansburg's Jordan Kuhn. Christiansburg, perennially a powerhouse in SW Virginia, will try to win under the rapidly improving Jordan Kuhn and company. In the other 3A region, New Kent should do fairly well, though probably not as well as their run last year to grab the AA championship.

2A: Maggie Walker's here. Maggie Walker's good. Nandua's decent, George Mason was good with Liam, not sure how they'll be this year, but honestly, this is in all likelihood the most clear-cut class.

1A: Honaker is probably the favorite here? Don't know too much about them.

Any other comments/predictions about VHSL?
Eric Xu
Western Albemarle '15
Virginia '19
Harvard '23
mithokie
Rikku

Post by mithokie »

I am trying to figure out who has qualified for regionals from the various conferences. Anyone who has information to share feel free to chip in. As of 1/27, these are the results that have been posted by VHSL Scholastic Bowl on their facebook page or by volunteers here. Some of the conference tournaments were rescheduled for this week due to the weather that happened last week. The numbers in parentheses indicate the Morlan ranking in his top 200.

1A:
Region 1A - West at Radford HS 2/5
Honaker, Northwood, Patrick Henry (Glade Spring), Chilhowie, J.I. Burton, Clintwood , Eastern Montgomery, Radford
Honaker and Radford advance

Region 1A - East at Colonial Beach 2/1
William Campbell, Parry McCluer, Mathews, West Point, Rappahannock Co., Rappajannock, Chincoteague, Franklin
Rappahannock County and Mathews advance

2A:
Region 2A - West at Gretna 2/1
Central, Virginia, Grundy, Richlands, Glenvar, James River, Gretna, Randolph-Henry
Grundy, Richlands advance

Region 2A - East at Maggie Walker 2/8
Riverheads, Robert E. Lee, George Mason, Clarke County, (22)Maggie Walker, Nandua, Goochland, Prince Edward
(22) Maggie Walker, George Mason advance

3A:
Region 3A - West at Blacksburg 2/1
(66)Cave Spring, (187)Blacksburg, Heritage, Brookville, (4)Western Albemarle, Turner Ashby, Rockbridge County, William Byrd
(4) Western Albemarle and (187) Blacksburg advance

Region 3A - East at Poquoson 2/4
John Champe, Skyline, (182)New Kent, Lafayette, York, Manassas Park, Kettle Run, Spotsylvania
Manassas Park and (182)New Kent advance

4A:
Region 4A - North at Charlottesville 2/1
Fauquier, Eastern View, (146)Loudoun County, Woodgrove, (179)E.C. Glass, Bassett, Charlottesville, Fluvana
(146)Loudoun County and Woodgrove advance

Region 4A - South at Churchland 2/8
Grafton, Smithfield, Deep Creek, Lake Taylor, Nansemond River, Denbigh, Glen Allen, Monacan
Grafton and Glen Allen advance

5A:
Region 5A - North at Massaponax 2/1
Brooke Point, North Stafford, Potomac Falls, Tuscarora, (63)Thomas Jefferson, (101)George Marshall, Albemarle, Orange
(101) Thomas Jefferson and Albemarle advance

Region 5A - South at Deep Run 2/8
Mills Godwin, Douglas Freeman, Warwick, Menchville, Princess Anne, Kempsville, Clover Hill, Matoaca
Princess Anne and Menchville advance

6A:
Region 6A - North at James Robinson 2/1
Lake Braddock, W.T. Woodson, Robinson, Oakton, (152) Langley, Osbourn, Stonewall Jackson, Yorktown
(152) Langley and Stonewall Jackson advance

Region 6A - South at Riverbend 2/8
Riverbend, C.D. Hylton, Ocean Lakes, Bayside, Patrick Henry (Roanoke), James River (Midlothian), Western Branch, and ???
Ocean Lakes and Western Branch advance
Last edited by mithokie on Mon Feb 10, 2014 11:08 pm, edited 35 times in total.
Matt Beeken
Eastern Montgomery High School
Math Instructional Coach
Scholastic Bowl Coach (2022 - ??)
mbeeken AT mcps DOT org
Beevor Feevor
Rikku

Post by Beevor Feevor »

Western Albemarle and Turner Ashby made it out for Conference 29.
Eric Xu
Western Albemarle '15
Virginia '19
Harvard '23
J Mitchell, Honaker High '14
Kimahri

Post by J Mitchell, Honaker High '14 »

I believe J.I. Burton and Clintwood advanced from Conference 48 in 1A West.
Jacob Mitchell
Honaker High '14
kamikaze
Rikku

Post by kamikaze »

mithokie wrote:Missing Conference 31
I'm pretty sure the William Byrd coach said that they had to postpone the tournament to Monday (1/27) because of the bad weather over the weekend. However, judging by the bad weather forecast for Monday and Alleghany, the site of the Conference 31 tournament, is already closed, not sure when they are going to get it done this week. If they go by the conference records though, I think William Byrd finished first.
Bob Powers
Blacksburg High School
(2022 - ?) Tournament Director, Blacksburg HS
(2021 - 2022) Scholastic Bowl coach, Eastern Montgomery HS
(2005 - 2020) Scholastic Bowl coach, Cave Spring HS
MDUCK
Lulu

Post by MDUCK »

Region 3A east looks like this: Conference 25: New Kent, Lafayette, York. Conference 26: none. Conference 27: Manassas Park, Kettle Run, Spotsylvania. Conference 28: John Champ, Skyline.
Matt Duckworth
Coach-New Kent High School
kamikaze
Rikku

Post by kamikaze »

MDUCK wrote:Region 3A east looks like this: Conference 25: New Kent, Lafayette, York. Conference 26: none. Conference 27: Manassas Park, Kettle Run, Spotsylvania. Conference 28: John Champ, Skyline.
There are no scholastic bowl teams in Conference 26 or do you not have the results for that tournament? From what it looks like, you have the 8 teams for regionals coming from the other three conferences.
Bob Powers
Blacksburg High School
(2022 - ?) Tournament Director, Blacksburg HS
(2021 - 2022) Scholastic Bowl coach, Eastern Montgomery HS
(2005 - 2020) Scholastic Bowl coach, Cave Spring HS
MDUCK
Lulu

Post by MDUCK »

There are none in conference 26 which I think is sad since there are so many tournaments in the Richmond Metro area... I believe the Region voted to allow two conferences to field 3 teams in the region tournament and rotate each year.
Matt Duckworth
Coach-New Kent High School
pretzeldude92
Wakka

Post by pretzeldude92 »

My Facebook news feed had told me that Rappahannock Co. won Conference 43 (Rapp River Conference), and the Rapp News tells me it was over the other Rappahannock -- the one in Warsaw, VA. How confusing.

The 1A East Regionals are at Colonial Beach on 2/1.
A.J. Collins
President of the Alabama Academic Quizbowl Team, 2010-2011

Rappahannock County High School '09
Alabama '13

This is ALABAMA QUIZBOWL!
mithokie
Rikku

Post by mithokie »

Results from the Region 3A-West tournament at Blacksburg are being updated at:

http://www.hsquizbowl.org/db/tournament ... n_3a-west/

As of 1:30 PM, we are moving to round 5.
Matt Beeken
Eastern Montgomery High School
Math Instructional Coach
Scholastic Bowl Coach (2022 - ??)
mbeeken AT mcps DOT org
Kafkaesque
Lulu

Post by Kafkaesque »

Loudoun County won the 4A North regional championship and remains undefeated in VHSL competition. Woodgrove battled through the losers' bracket, beating Charlottesville and EC Glass (whom they had lost to earlier by ~100 points) to take second place. Interestingly enough, this means the 4A North region will be represented by two teams from Loudoun County.
Mason Hale
Loudoun County '14
Harvard '18
Beevor Feevor
Rikku

Post by Beevor Feevor »

3A West will be represented by Western Albemarle and Blacksburg.
Eric Xu
Western Albemarle '15
Virginia '19
Harvard '23
pretzeldude92
Wakka

Post by pretzeldude92 »

I can confirm that 1A East advanced champion Rappahannock County and runner up Mathews. Rapp's first trip since 2009 (when I was captain :shock: )
A.J. Collins

Alabama '13

harborseal
Lulu

Post by harborseal »

Albemarle and TJ advanced from the 5A North Regionals.
Last edited by harborseal on Sun Feb 02, 2014 1:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nadège Aoki
TJHSST 2014
Cornell 2018
MIT TBD
Journeyman
Lulu

Post by Journeyman »

Grundy and Richlands advanced to state from 2A West.
Travis Blankenship
Berea Community High School
Head Coach
Jurassic Park 30th Anniversary Steering Committee
jonpin
Auron

Post by jonpin »

pretzeldude92 wrote:I can confirm that 1A East advanced champion Rappahannock County and runner up Mathews. Rapp's first trip since 2009 (when I was captain :shock: )
I hear Franklin was there. How'd they do?
Jon Pinyan
Coach, Bergen County Academies (NJ); former player for BCA (2000-03) and WUSTL (2003-07)
HSQB forum mod, PACE member
Stat director for: NSC '13-'15, '17; ACF '14, '17, '19; NHBB '13-'15; NASAT '11

"A [...] wizard who controls the weather" - Jerry Vinokurov
pretzeldude92
Wakka

Post by pretzeldude92 »

After Rappahannock Co. and Mathews, West Point was in third, Rappahannock-Warsaw was fourth, William Campbell and Franklin were tied for fifth, and Chincoteague and Parry McCluer failed to appear.
A.J. Collins

Alabama '13

Madoc
Lulu

Post by Madoc »

Honaker and runner-up Radford advance from 1A West. I don't have all the scores, but I do have the ones from Honaker's games:

1. Honaker: 410 vs Clintwood: 45
2. Honaker: 320 vs Eastern Montgomery: 100
3. Honaker: 250 vs J.I. Burton: 185
4. Honaker: 275 vs Radford: 160
Charlie Perkins
Coach - Honaker High School 2015-2021
W&M 2014