LAMP Invitational, Jan 8, 2005

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.

Will somebody bring the NAQT National Championship home to Alabama this year?

Yes
7%
No
83%
It's anybody's guess.
10%

Total votes: 30

Mr. Brindlee Mountain
Lulu

LAMP Invitational, Jan 8, 2005

Post by Mr. Brindlee Mountain »

Just a comment on the LAMP Invitational from January 8; There were a lot of out of state teams at this one, and it was the first time we got the chance to play some of them. We played Ezell-Harding (I think from Nashville) and got beat in a heartbreaker, err... I mean tiebreaker. After that we pretty much got it handed to us by Walton twice (I won't mention the score, I'm trying really hard to forget about it). We got put out of this tournament earlier than any tournament we've been to so far... these out of state teams are really gonna give us Alabamians a run for our money come nationals. Does anybody have a list of which teams will be attending NAQT nationals in Orlando this June and where they're coming from?
~ Mr. Brindlee Mountain High School 2004-2005 (Myles Teston)
steven-lamp
Tidus

Post by steven-lamp »

NAQT nats are in Chicago. PACE is in Orlando. Yes, Walton and Ezell are two of the top tier teams in the southeast. Yes, nationals will be hard. No, an Alabama team will not win NAQT unless no one from Georgia, South Carolina, Virginia, Maryland, Michigan, or Ohio shows up.

And, just as a sidenote, did everything at the tournmanet run well, in your opinion? I couldn't be there, I had to go play at Science Bowl. Were the questions ok and readers pretty good?
jrbarry
Yuna

Post by jrbarry »

An Alabama team probably will NOT win NAQT or PACE this year. Seems like Auburn won a national title back in the mid-1990s and I KNOW Tuscaloosa Central won ASCN in the early 1990s. Other than that, I do not recall Alabama schools winning any national titles in actual national quiz bowls.
DVader
Wakka

Post by DVader »

I seriously doubt any Alabama team will win a national tournament this year. The top Alabama teams definitely can be competitive on a national level, but I don't think any of us are good enough to challenge the likes of Dorman or TJ. We almost beat Walton A in the finals, but they got the last question that we needed to win. I don't think it would have been as close had we not had the momentum we had going into the finals though. Concerning the LAMP tournament, I thought it was run pretty well except for the length of downtime between rounds which was a bit excessive, especially since the actual games were so short. The questions were good overall except for one round full of trick questions and the worksheet that gave the year and asked for Nobel Prize winner in Literature. We got one of them and our opponents got none of them.
David John Gagne,
University of Oklahoma
First Chairman
Auron

Post by First Chairman »

They won't win if they don't attend. :)

Of course I don't know how many Southeastern teams would attend PACE in Orlando, so if any Alabama teams want to attend... :)
Emil Thomas Chuck, Ph.D.
Founder, PACE
Facebook junkie and unofficial advisor to aspiring health professionals in quiz bowl
---
Pimping Green Tea Ginger Ale (Canada Dry)
steven-lamp
Tidus

Post by steven-lamp »

Dr. Chuck: In the past, LAMP has only attended ASCN, as our former coach would only allow us to attend that one. However, this year we'll either attend PACE or NAQT. I believe we already have a PACE bid and NAQT states are just around the corner, so look for us in the near future.

David: Yes, I agree that some Alabama teams can be nationally competitive. Namely, Russelville (in the past), LAMP, ASFA, Indian Springs, and Brindlee Mountain (will be seen this year, if they travel). Also, yes the Nobel Lit worksheet was pretty nasty. There's a guy who's involved with the program, although he's not on the team, who memorized every Nobel award for each year. I thought we did a slightly better job with the worksheets this year, as instead of having all topic specific worksheets in the finals we diversified with having a worksheet on the 1700s and Spain, rather than the standard lettered worksheets of the prelims.
bigtrain
Rikku

Post by bigtrain »

but I don't think any of us are good enough to challenge the likes of Dorman or TJ
First of all, these are two different levels of teams. TJ>Dorman.

Second, I am always amazed by the South's idolization of Dorman (based upon comments made on this board and things I heard said at ACE). Do you put them onto a pedastal of quiz bowl godliness so you can rationalize continually losing to them and not even striving to practice harder to beat them? I know of at least three Southern teams who have refused to accept being second to Dorman and defeated them this year (Walton, Milton and Brookwood). Come on people, have a little bit of self respect.
Alex Price
Walter Johnson 2006
Emory University 2010
quizbowllee
Auron

Post by quizbowllee »

Can an Alabama team win at PACE and/or NAQT?

This year? Probably not. But, I think it will happen in the future.

As biased as I am, I think that we at Brindlee Mountain have a good shot in the coming 2-3 years. I was excited about our performance at LAMP, despite coming home empty handed. We drew the hardest pool there - us, Walton, Ezell-Harding, and Austin all in the same pool. Ezell-Harding beat us on a tie-breaker. Walton thrashed us... 300-90.

In the playoffs, we soundly beat Oak Mountain and then had to face Walton again. They beat us pretty soundly once again, but not nearly as bad as before (I think it was 310-160).

At any rate, knowing that ASFA came that close to beating them gives me some hope, since we are 2-1 against ASFA this year...

I also have to point out that at LAMP, we did not lose to ANY Alabama teams, and beat those that we played pretty badly.

Also, when one considers that 3 of my four starters are freshmen, I think you can see why I am optimistic for the next 3-4 years. Myles (Mr. Brindlee Mountain on this board) is my only Senior among 9 freshmen.

As for us travelling, we are going to PACE in Orlando and will go to Chicago for NAQT if we qualify. Also, next year, we are going to go to fewer local tournaments and do more out-of-state tournaments.

So, no, I don't think anyone in Alabama is going to bring home a title this year (altough I think we might be a contender for NAQT's Small School Championship).

My highly biased two cents,

-Lee
Lee Henry
AP English Teacher
Quiz Bowl Coach
West Point High School
Cullman, AL
steven-lamp
Tidus

Post by steven-lamp »

bigtrain wrote:
but I don't think any of us are good enough to challenge the likes of Dorman or TJ
First of all, these are two different levels of teams. TJ>Dorman.

Second, I am always amazed by the South's idolization of Dorman (based upon comments made on this board and things I heard said at ACE). Do you put them onto a pedastal of quiz bowl godliness so you can rationalize continually losing to them and not even striving to practice harder to beat them? I know of at least three Southern teams who have refused to accept being second to Dorman and defeated them this year (Walton, Milton and Brookwood). Come on people, have a little bit of self respect.
Dorman's good. Last year I think we played them about 3 times and everytime we led at the half, IIRC. They're just a good team. And, with all due respect, LAMP beat Walter Johnson last year at nationals.
bigtrain
Rikku

Post by bigtrain »

Dorman's good. Last year I think we played them about 3 times and everytime we led at the half, IIRC. They're just a good team. And, with all due respect, LAMP beat Walter Johnson last year at nationals.
I think you missed the point of my post. I'm saying that I have heard comments too many times saying something to the effect of: "we're good, but we aren't in the same league as Dorman...those people are just crazy good". I don't understand how anyone could have such a subservient mindset, especially since we are talking about a game where improvement is possible.

In regards to the second part of your post: had our team round categories been reversed, the outcome of the game would have been different. ASCN's wacky format and uneven questions provide for upsets quite frequently. My team scrimmaged a team, at ASCN on ASCN questions, that placed in the top 4 (I wont mention who), and we won by a good margin. We also scrimmaged Robert E. Lee and lost by a good margin. Based upon these results one would expect the first team to have lost to Robert E Lee. Instead, Robert E Lee lost to that other team in the playoffs. With all that being said, if the team round categories in our game had been switched resulting in my team winning, I would have to say that the worse team had won because last year your team was, in my opinion, stronger than mine and you deserved to win the game. However, we are much stronger this year than last year because we lost no players.
Alex Price
Walter Johnson 2006
Emory University 2010
Golden Tiger 86
Auron

Post by Golden Tiger 86 »

No, I don't see an Alabama team winning NAQT this year, if only because TJ, Walton, Dorman, and Solon are better than just about anybody Alabama can put out right now. I do think if Brindlee Mountain gets better, they will be tough in the next 2 or 3 years.
Slade Gilmer, 2004 Graduate of THE Russellville High School, 2009 Graduate of THE University of North Alabama
gosaints
Wakka

Post by gosaints »

Dorman gets that respect because they have earned it. They are one of an elite group of teams that has dominated both in the southeast and nationally over the past few years (along with Brookwood, Dunbar, and Walton).

What makes the top programs so good year after year? Most of them are large schools with lots of kids to draw from. Most of them are in states that have very active circuits with a number of highly competitive teams (GA, SC, VA, MD, KY). Most of them have great coaching.

There have been some great teams from Alabama over the past couple of years. Russellville (with Slade Gilmer) and Indian Springs (with David Hill) come to mind. Are there any teams in Alabama right now that are as good as either of these teams were?

The highest any Alabama team has ever finished at NAQT Nationals is tied for 19th.
jrbarry
Yuna

Post by jrbarry »

1. Teams in the Southeast do not idolize Dorman that I can see. Dorman has had the Southeast's best teams for the past 3 years however. And they have had good teams dating back to the late 1980s when Jim Garrick went there. Brookwood was happy when we beat Dorman on Saturday precisely because Dorman has a great quiz bowl program.

2. NAQT has only had a nationals for high school, since 1999. High school national championship tournaments date back to the mid-1980s. While Alabama teams have not done particularly well at NAQT, Bama teams have done well at other nationals.

3. 75% or more of US high schools COULD have good quiz bowl teams IF they had a comprehensive program over time. You must have committed leaders in most cases unless you simply have a brilliant student body.
No Sollositing On Premise
Yuna

Post by No Sollositing On Premise »

Virginia's two true powerhouses have had excellent recent classes, and seniors at TJ that I've talked to say that this freshman class is the best that they've ever seen, so don't count them out.
Mike Sollosi, University of Virginia
STPickrell
Auron

Post by STPickrell »

laszlow wrote:Virginia's two true powerhouses have had excellent recent classes, and seniors at TJ that I've talked to say that this freshman class is the best that they've ever seen, so don't count them out.
Better this this year's seniors???

It is amazing how quizbowl has gotten better over the years and I say this as someone who first picked up a buzzer in the fall of 1989.
Shawn Pickrell, HSAPQ CFO