Harvard Fall Tournament VIII @ Cambridge, MA (11/09/13)

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
gyre and gimble
Yuna

Re: Harvard Fall Tournament VIII @ Cambridge, MA (11/09/13)

Post by gyre and gimble »

Sorry about the weird stats formatting, but I think that's a bug in the Mac version if SQBS, which none of us know how to fix. Re: consolation games, I suppose we could run them unofficially but building them into the schedule prevents lots of teams from being able to leave at an appropriate time (superplayoffs started at 5:30 yesterday). It's great if you want to stay and play more rounds but we don't want to keep everyone behind for another hour and half.
Stephen Liu
Torrey Pines '10
Harvard '14
Stanford '17
jonah
Auron

Post by jonah »

gyre and gimble wrote:Sorry about the weird stats formatting, but I think that's a bug in the Mac version if SQBS, which none of us know how to fix.
viewtopic.php?p=269888#p269888
Jonah Greenthal
National Academic Quiz Tournaments
ionocraft
Kimahri

Post by ionocraft »

Great Tournament! My team and I enjoyed it and it was worth the trip from NY.
Mark Campmier
Kellenberg MHS '14
Lawrence Simon
Lulu

Post by Lawrence Simon »

Why, may I ask, was the set power-marked? Also any idea where this set will be mirrored in the DC area yet?
Lawrence Simon
Quince Orchard Class of '15
University of Virginia Class of '19
Lo, Marathon Ham!
Wakka

Post by Lo, Marathon Ham! »

Lawrence Simon wrote:Why, may I ask, was the set power-marked? Also any idea where this set will be mirrored in the DC area yet?
Personally, I was very happy with the power-marking. It was quite a nice surprise midway through the first round when the moderator said I had powered a question. I find quizbowl more fun to play with powers in it so I commend the writers on making the set power-marked! I agree with Abhinav on the fact that I would have prefered to have played a consolation superplayoff bracket after we missed making those by one game. This was a great tournament and I hope to enjoy playing it in the years to come!
Mohan Malhotra
The Independence School '12
Charter School of Wilmington '16
New York University '20
Wilmington, DE/New York City, NY
marianna
Rikku

Post by marianna »

Thanks to Harvard for running a packed tournament! Thanks also to the super cool Stephen Eltinge and other readers. This was a really fun experience for our teams. Apologies to DCC and Ridgewood for skipping out on our superplayoff games - we had to catch the last bus out of Boston.

I'll second the call for a private forum to discuss the set.

The opening meeting was a bit chaotic - clarifying the rules in play and providing a campus map would have been helpful. Although Robinson was nearby, I know some teams had trouble finding the building. For round 1, I heard that Robinson teams had trouble getting into their rooms, which were locked.

Two other suggestions: team phone numbers and a buzzer sheet. Phone numbers are really helpful when you need to contact a team at a moment's notice. For an example, the mixup where our bye turned into a game could have been rectified by calling the affected teams. I'm not sure if a buzzer sheet was actually in use or not, but keeping track of the locations of all buzzer sets is extremely useful, especially to speed up clean-up and scenarios where a team needs to leave early.
Marianna Zhang (she/her)
Hunter '14 | Chicago '18 | Stanford '24
PACE
gyre and gimble
Yuna

Post by gyre and gimble »

jonah wrote:
gyre and gimble wrote:Sorry about the weird stats formatting, but I think that's a bug in the Mac version if SQBS, which none of us know how to fix.
viewtopic.php?p=269888#p269888
Thanks Jonah. We ran them through the updated version so that glitch is gone now. We also corrected an error in one of TJ's playoff games that sent their 16 something ppb to 7 ppb.
Stephen Liu
Torrey Pines '10
Harvard '14
Stanford '17
AKKOLADE
Sin

Post by AKKOLADE »

Can someone from Harvard either generate a complete set of stats and upload it or email me their SQBS file?
Fred Morlan
University of Kentucky CoP, 2017
International Quiz Bowl Tournaments, CEO, co-owner
former PACE member, president, etc.
former hsqbrank manager, former NAQT writer & subject editor, former hsqb Administrator/Chief Administrator