Dennis Haskins Open HS at UT-Chattanooga 3/23/13 [HSAPQ 33]

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
Your Genial Quizmaster
Rikku

Dennis Haskins Open HS at UT-Chattanooga 3/23/13 [HSAPQ 33]

Post by Your Genial Quizmaster »

The UTC Academic Trivia Association will host its 17th annual Dennis Haskins Open High School Quizbowl in Chattanooga, TN, on Saturday, March 23, 2013. The questions will be HSAPQ Tournament Set 33.

We apologize to our Georgia neighbors for the unavoidable conflict with Georgia’s High School Varsity State Championship, to be held the same day in McDonough. Of course, we welcome Georgia JV teams that wish to attend our tournament.

The field is open to high school and middle school teams, with up to 4 members per team (not counting alternates – see below.) We are tentatively capping the field at 32 teams. Division I (varsity) is open to teams with players from all grades. Division II (JV) is open to teams where all players are in grades 6-10. To ensure that you have space reserved, we recommend that you e-mail [email protected], or call or text me at (423) 504-8255, at your earliest convenience with the number of teams your school expects to bring. Once the field is officially full, we will start a waiting list.

Also, if you plan to bring more than two teams from the same school, you are strongly encouraged to provide at least one experienced full-time official. This will allow us to expand the field to accommodate the extra teams while still allowing room for more schools.

FORMAT: This will be an untimed tournament with 20 tossups and bonuses per round, with no bounceback on bonuses. he field will be split into brackets for a round robin, followed by playoffs for each division. During playoffs, non-playoff teams will have the option of playing consolation rounds.

ELIGIBILITY: Students in grades 6-12 are eligible. Those in grades 11-12 are eligible to play in Division I (varsity) only. Students in grades 6-10 are eligible to play in either Division I or Division II, although we strongly recommend that players in grades 6-8 play for Division II teams only. Separate trophies will be awarded for teams in Division II (teams composed entirely of players in grades 6 -10.)

SCHEDULE: Registration begins at 9 AM EDT on Sat. 3/23/13, with announcements at 9:45 and play starting at 10. While we won’t have a precise schedule until we verify the field size, we expect to finish the round robin by 6 PM, followed by an exhibition “trash” round (see below), an awards ceremony for individual honors, and playoffs. We hope playoffs will be over by 8 PM.

LOCATION: Tournament HQ will be the newly-renovated 129 Grote Hall on the UTC campus (see directions and link to map below), with matches in Grote, Holt, and possibly Brock Halls. Because we may be splitting the tournament between two non-adjacent buildings, each with a slow elevator, please let me know if any of your team members have disabilities and we will do our best to keep their matches in one building.

JUST FOR FUN: It’s become an annual tradition! While we finish the stats and standings at the end of the round robin, we’ll have an unofficial round of “trash” (pure pop culture), tossups only. This has become one of the most popular parts of UTC’s high school quizbowls. Anyone who can reach a buzzer can play in the trash round – alternates, coaches, parents, even the bus driver. Also, during the awards ceremony, we’ll give recognition for the cleverest T-shirts seen at the tournament (as long as someone reminds me.)

FEES AND PAPERWORK: Tournament fees are as follows --
• Base fee: $80 per team (4 players can play at a time with up to 4 alternates; substitutions are allowed, but between rounds only.)
• $5 discount for each working lockout buzzer system, up to two systems per team (whether we use them or not.)

Pre-registration and prepayment are not required -- as long as we know how many teams you’ll bring, and for which division(s). Rosters may be changed at any time before the tournament starts -- but once it does, a player may not switch from team to team.

ACCOMMODATIONS: With changes on the downtown hotel scene, we don’t currently have any standing room discounts. If you are planning an overnight stay and would like some help, please contact us at [email protected] and we’ll see what we can arrange.

If you need more information, I can be reached on my cell phone (423-504-8255) or by e-mail at [email protected] . We hope to see you on March 23!
--- Charlie Steinhice, UTC A.T.A. Coach

Directions to Grote Hall: Come towards downtown Chattanooga on I-24. Take the freeway splitoff labeled US 27 North – Downtown Chattanooga. Follow US 27 North to Exit 1A, 4th St. (Don’t worry about which way to turn on 4th St. – it only goes one way.) Follow 4th St. about ½ mile till you see the Mackenzie Arena (the “Roundhouse”) on your right. Shortly after you see the Arena on your right, 4th St. will merge with 3rd St. After they merge, watch for the second right (Palmetto St.) Turn right on Palmetto. Go 2 blocks on Palmetto, then turn right on Vine St. You will see barriers ahead where Vine St. is closed to auto traffic. The last parking lot on the right, just before those barriers, is the parking lot for Grote Hall. Tournament HQ is Grote 129. Enter at the door by the glamorous dumpster.

Here’s a link to GoogleMaps. Use with caution – note that Vine St. is closed to vehicles between Douglas St. and the Lupton Library.

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=en&g ... 21307&z=16
-- Charlie Steinhice
Coach, UTC Academic Trivia Association
University of Tennessee at Chattanooga
utcquizbowl [at] gmail [dot] com

"Come, come! Why, they couldn't hit an elephant at this dist..."
-- Gen. John Sedgwick, 1864 (technically not his very last words, but close enough)
Delacroix
Kimahri

Re: Dennis Haskins Open HS at UT-Chattanooga 3/23/13 [HSAPQ 33]

Post by Delacroix »

We here at Farragut High School are interested in bringing two, hopefully three teams!
Lawrence Wang, King of Mormons

Farragut High School
Starman
Kimahri

Post by Starman »

Daniel Boone HS will bring two teams.
Mike Taylor
Daniel Boone High School
Chimalpahin Quauhtlehuanitzin
Wakka

Post by Chimalpahin Quauhtlehuanitzin »

Can we please have a field update?
Rohan Nag
Vanderbilt '17 | MLK '13
Your Genial Quizmaster
Rikku

Right now we have seventeen teams from ten schools, all varsity unless otherwise noted:

Central Magnet (Murfreesboro) 1
Daniel Boone 2
Farragut 3 (1 JV)
Hume-Fogg 1 (1 JV)
Lincoln Co. 2
McCallie 2 ( JV)
MLK Magnet 1
Murray Co. (GA) 2
Oak Ridge 2
Oneida 1

Please e-mail any additions or corrections to [email protected]. Thanks.
-- Charlie Steinhice

-- Gen. John Sedgwick, 1864 (technically not his very last words, but close enough)
AKKOLADE
Sin

Post by AKKOLADE »

How'd this go?
Fred Morlan
University of Kentucky CoP, 2017
International Quiz Bowl Tournaments, CEO, co-owner
former PACE member, president, etc.
former hsqbrank manager, former NAQT writer & subject editor, former hsqb Administrator/Chief Administrator
Chimalpahin Quauhtlehuanitzin
Wakka

Post by Chimalpahin Quauhtlehuanitzin »

Oak Ridge took 1st in a two-game final where Farragut originally had the advantage (won against them in prelims) with a 9-1 record.
Farragut took second with an 8-2 record, and MLK (us) took 3rd, with 6-3.
Lawrence Wang took MVP and I got 2nd individual.
Hume-Fogg swept JV and some order of Farragut teams and McCallie got 2nd-4th JV.

<waits for Charlie to put up stats 3 months later>

(Edited for my bad math)
Rohan Nag
Vanderbilt '17 | MLK '13
Your Genial Quizmaster
Rikku

Chimalpahin Quauhtlehuanitzin wrote:Oak Ridge took 1st in a two-game final where Farragut originally had the advantage (won against them in prelims) with a 9-1 record.
Farragut took second with an 8-2 record, and MLK (us) took 3rd, with 6-3.
Lawrence Wang took MVP and I got 2nd individual.
Hume-Fogg swept JV and some order of Farragut teams and McCallie got 2nd-4th JV.

<waits for Charlie to put up stats 3 months later>

(Edited for my bad math)
All correct for Division I (varsity), with Oak Ridge edging out Farragut A for first. ML King Magnet was third, and Farragut B beat McCallie A twice to take fourth.

In JV, Hume-Fogg won outright with a two-game lead over the rest of the division. Farragut D beat Farragut C for 2nd place, and Central Magnet of Murfreesboro took 4th.

Top scorers for varsity division were:
Lawrence Wang, Farragut A
Rohan Nag, MLK Magnet
Will Mason, Oak Ridge
Jonathan Lau, McCallie
Katherine Senter, Oak Ridge
Gaibo Zhang, Oak Ridge

Top JV-eligible scorers were:
Kai Smith, Farragut B (played in varsity division)
YoungYu Chen, Farragut D
Baker Neenan, Hume-Fogg
Alec Michael, Hume-Fogg
James Young, Central Magnet
Ani Perumalia, Farragut B (played in varsity division)

Full stats will follow once I get the stats file. Thanks to our outstanding crew of veteran officials: Robert Trent, Dren Rollins, John Kilby, Jacob Vannucci, Ruth Jackson, Joseph Dion, Eileen Steinhice, Carmen Shepherd, Patrick Nelson, and Kay Campbell. Special thanks, of course, to HSAPQ for supplying the questions.
-- Charlie Steinhice

Your Genial Quizmaster
Rikku

Stats are now posted on the Quizbowl Resource Database. Sorry for the delay.
-- Charlie Steinhice