Buzzer Fright

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
jeffburns1
Lulu

Buzzer Fright

Post by jeffburns1 »

I have some new JV kids who have some potential. One of my biggest problems so far is getting them to buzz in. Would anybody be willing to share some startegies to use in practice to conquer buzzer fright?
steven-lamp
Rikku

Post by steven-lamp »

Yea, we had a problem with that earlier in the year. Just tell them it's ok to get some wrong. Really the best way is to get them at some easier tournaments, let them buzz in, get some stuff right, beat some teams, and develop confidence. That's how it's worked with us all year. The team's becomed WAY more balanced throughout the year as our other 2 players have become more active in games, and it's definitely paid off.
Skepticism and Animal Feed
Auron

Post by Skepticism and Animal Feed »

From a theoretical standpoint, increasing rewards for early correct answers while decreasing punishments for incorrect answers should do the trick.

Of course, if you whatever format you play in tournaments has negative pointage for incorrect answers, that approach could backfire as, faced with the hitherto unfamiliar possibility of a neg, your team freaks out and refuses to buzz at all. That's still happening to me as I transition from a neg-free high school situation to the -5 world of college.
Bruce
Harvard '10 / UChicago '07 / Roycemore School '04
ACF Member emeritus
My guide to using Wikipedia as a question source
Tegan
Coach of AHAN Jr.

Post by Tegan »

I'm with Bruce. Whenever one of my kids gives a pretty thoughtful answer that is wrong, I make sure to not only say "That's OK", but I praise them for ringing in and trying something. Whenever I hear a kid say "Oh, I knew that" and I ask why they didn't ring in and they reply "I wasn't sure", I tend to get that "disappointed look" and get a little gruff (never yelling, never demeaning". When I first started coaching, this was our biggest problem (along with lack of experience and lacking a bit of talent). These days it is less an issue.
First Chairman
Auron

Post by First Chairman »

Practice without negs. I guess you can try to practice with powers to make it more fun.

To me, buzzer fright (of which I know I have much of, which is why I'm not going to be a good player) is a confidence issue. You don't want the student to become a "neg beast", but you don't want to lose any "aggressiveness" either. The first level of confidence is confidence in knowing an answer on early clues. That's different from confidence in being able to buzz in and answer correctly. Both must be worked on.

To that end, sometimes having people buzz in on bonus parts or one-liners helps overcome the fear of buzzing in. Writing questions and doing research will help conquer the fear of knowing whether the answer is right or not.
Emil Thomas Chuck, Ph.D.
Founder, PACE
Facebook junkie and unofficial advisor to aspiring health professionals in quiz bowl
---
Pimping Green Tea Ginger Ale (Canada Dry)
Tegan
Coach of AHAN Jr.

Post by Tegan »

E.T's post reminded me of something else. The problem (as has been mentioned) with pushing too hard is that pretty soon the kids are buzzing too soon and frustrating the team.

I try to tell the kids to start buzzing early in practice.....only in trying to answer questions will you learn when you have an appropriate amount of confidence in your answer to buzz, without negging. I think this is an experience thing. I think I would try toss-up only questions.....over and over and over (as E.T. suggested....even using bonus parts as toss-ups).

If they were really young, I might even think about using rounds in successive weeks....see if they remember and will buzz in quicker. since they "know" the answers. Once they get the confidence to commit, it might translate to competition.
Stained Diviner
Auron

Post by Stained Diviner »

I generally agree with what's been said. Keep track of who answers how many tossups, and play the kids who answer the most. You may decide not to count rebounds. Don't keep track of negs. It is rare when a kid consistently negs so much that it becomes a problem, and the rare kid that does usually has bigger fish to fry. (I don't cut kids from the team, but about every three years or so I tell a kid that the team would be better off without him. I'm happy to have kids on the team who aren't very good as long as they can appreciate the fact that they don't know everything.)
ezubaric
Rikku

Post by ezubaric »

I'll describe one thing that we did at Caltech (credit where credit is due ... this was Oz's idea). We would read intramurals, NAQT IS, and SCT D2 (in that order over a series of weeks) to our new frosh and give each of our practice teams a neg-free buzz (and only one) if they buzzed in the "power" zone. If nobody got it right before the end of power (remember, these are pretty easy questions), the reader says "RESET!" and finishes the rest of the question as usual (now negs count, but if you rang in before incorrectly, you can ring in again). So you might have four buzzes from two teams on one question, but we found that it A) ecourages people to form early guesses B) teaches people where power marks usually are C) encourages some funny wrong answers and D) encourages people to ring in.

-Jordan
Jordan Boyd-Graber
UMD (College Park, MD), Faculty Advisor 2018-present
UC Boulder, Founder / Faculty Advisor 2014-2017
UMD (College Park, MD), Faculty Advisor 2010-2014
Princeton, Player 2004-2009
Caltech (Pasadena, CA), Player / President 2000-2004
Ark Math & Science (Hot Springs, AR), Player 1998-2000
Monticello High School, Player 1997-1998

Human-Computer Question Answering:
http://qanta.org/
zwtipp
Rikku

Post by zwtipp »

We started running our practices differently this year.
We simply read all questions as striaght toss-up. You get two points for buzzing in before the question is finished and answering correctly. -1 if you interrupt, but no penalty after the question is over and it's only worth 1 point then.
I do not care much for large yellow Avians.
solonqb
Rikku

Post by solonqb »

We generally count powers, not negs, in practice, and buzz in on bonus parts as well, something that I find increases knowledge depth and speed at the same time. The only trick is remembering to wait until the bonus is done in actual competition.
Noah Rahman
Welcome to Simbabwe, where the property is already owned and the houses built and you compete to burn and dispossess them. Compete with Robert Mugabe, Canaan Banana, Cecil Rhodes and Sir Godfrey Huggins to earn a place on the all-time EU travel ban list!
harshrealm
Lulu

Post by harshrealm »

Give them a few minutes to do nothing but buzz in as fast as they can- no questions, just a pure buzzfest to compete for speed. If nothing else, it should get them to relax a bit. Then, practice with questions but tell them to buzz in as soon as they have any idea about what the answer might possibly be.
dtaylor4
Auron

Post by dtaylor4 »

as a player, i find that when i miss something in my category, i frequently look back and remember the questions i miss and try to get them if they ever come up again at a later tournament
Skepticism and Animal Feed
Auron

Post by Skepticism and Animal Feed »

DaGeneral wrote:as a player, i find that when i miss something in my category, i frequently look back and remember the questions i miss and try to get them if they ever come up again at a later tournament
I half-jokingly renamed my Hard Drive "Von Moltke" after I came up blank on tossups about him twice in practice. I changed its icon to a picture of him and all.
Bruce
Harvard '10 / UChicago '07 / Roycemore School '04
ACF Member emeritus
My guide to using Wikipedia as a question source