Arcadia Carnal Embrace VII
LOCATION: Arcadia High School, 180 Campus Dr., Arcadia CA 91007.
The rounds shall take place in the science building and lecture hall (NOTE: this is different from previous years, where we have used the portables). If you see a giant area blocked off for construction in the most inconvenient location in the middle of our campus, we'll be right next to that.
DATE: The tournament will be held on Saturday, March 23. Check-in begins at 8:00 am, and first round should begin around 9 am. Schedules will be distributed at check-in.
FORMAT: The tournament will be a mirror of GSAC XX. The tournament will adhere to Official NAQT Rules- with the exception that each round will be run as two untimed, 10-question halves- with a preliminary round robin followed by reseeding based on results from the round robin phase. Seedings in the individual sub-brackets will be determined by the overall win-loss record. Ties for reseedings will be resolved based on points per bonus, followed by points per game.
ELIGIBILITY: All high school students are welcome to attend.
Base fee = $80 for one team, $70 per team after the first
Discounts will be given as follows:
- -$5 for each fully-functional buzzer system (must have at least four working buzzers on both sides)
- -$10 for traveling distances over 100 miles, according to Google Maps
- -$10 moderator discount (this is going to be tentative, depending on the field)
- -$40 per team for schools that have not competed in a decent, mACF-style or NAQT tournament in the past 2 years (schools that claim this discount have no minimum fee).
- Any school that fields 3 teams for this tournament will be able to register a 4th team for free (this 4th team is not included in the minimum fee calculations).
Minimum fee = $60/team
PRIZES: The winning team will receive the 2013 Carnal Embrace Trophy, and the runners-up shall receive 2nd and 3rd place trophies respectively. Book prizes will be offered to the top team from each playoff bracket, as well as to the top individual scorers.
REGISTRATION: The tournament director is Jason Cheng. The advisor of this tournament will be Mr. Christopher Schultz. If you are interested in attending or have any questions, send an email to [email protected] OR reply to this thread with the following information:
1) Your school's name
2) The number of teams you are bringing
3) The number of buzzer systems you will bring
4) Any moderators you have to offer
5) Price you are expecting to pay, after subtracting relevant discounts.
6) Emergency contact information
Our current field cap is more or less 35 teams; however, this number is subject to change as we receive more information on our available resources.
Updates about the tournament will primarily be through the hsquizbowl.org forums; in addition, they will be posted on the Southern California High School Quiz Bowl Google Group and Facebook Group.
PLACES TO EAT:
A light breakfast will be provided in the main room for teams.
There are several fast food restaurants located to the east of the high school, on Duarte Road. It's a 5 minute walk to Duarte-Santa Anita intersection, and a 10 minute walk to the Duarte-2nd Ave intersection.
In addition, for teams with cars (or with members who don't mind a longer walk- just try not to take too long), the Santa Anita Mall is located about 30 minutes (walking distance) away to the northeast, along Campus Drive. There is an In-N-Out about 30 minutes (walking distance) to the north, along Santa Anita Ave.
Arcadia Quiz Bowl 2012-2013