CANCELED: JAMES at TJHSST-3/9/13

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
tribble
Lulu

CANCELED: JAMES at TJHSST-3/9/13

Post by tribble »

We’re pleased to announce that TJ will be hosting JAMES (Just Another Magnificent Extravaganza for Students) on March 9, 2013. Nadège Aoki and I will be directing the tournament, and the set will be a co-housewrite between TJ and LASA. The head editor for the set is Raynor Kuang; more information about it may be found here. Our final field cap is unlikely to exceed 24 teams due to space constraints as a result of ongoing building renovations.

Logistics:
Our address is 6560 Braddock Road Alexandria, VA 22312. Registration will start at 8:00, with the opening meeting starting at 9:00. Breakfast will be provided. We’re unable to sell pizza to teams at lunchtime but will provide a list of local fast-food-style restaurants at registration.

Fees:
Registration fees are $70 per team coming from a school that regularly participates in pyramidal quizbowl and $40 per team coming from a school new to pyramidal quizbowl. If you have any question about whether your team counts as being new to pyramidal quizbowl, please don’t hesitate to email us. $10 discounts are available for bringing a moderator with experience reading for pyramidal quizbowl tournaments and/or traveling over 200 miles. A $5 discount is available for bringing a fully functional buzzer set (with 8 or more working buzzers).

We can accept registration fees in the form of cash or check. Checks should be made payable to “TJHSST-Quizbowl” with your school’s name and “Registration Fee” in the memo line. We would prefer that payment be brought on the day of the tournament, but mailing in advance is fine too. Anything sent via snail mail should be addressed to TJHSST Quizbowl c/o Jennifer Seavey.

Signup:
Sign up on our website. This is the link to the field update; I’ll also keep a field update running in this post. If you need to change your registration information at any time (e.g. register one additional or one fewer team), you can do so here.

There is no minimum team size, but in order to ensure that all players get a good amount of playing time, rosters are limited to six players. If your school plans on bringing more than six players, you must register a second team.

Any questions can be directed to the tournament directors at [email protected]. We hope to see you in February!
Last edited by tribble on Sat Mar 02, 2013 1:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sarah
TJHSST '13
tribble
Lulu

Re: JAMES at TJHSST-3/9/13

Post by tribble »

Field (7):
Blair
GDS
Howard
Loudon County HS
St. Anselm's
Walt Whitman
Woodson
Last edited by tribble on Thu Feb 28, 2013 9:51 pm, edited 5 times in total.
Sarah
TJHSST '13
tribble
Lulu

Post by tribble »

Currently, it's looking like there's not enough interest to justify holding this tournament. If we don't get at least a dozen registrations by next Saturday, March 2, it looks like we'll have to cancel. Re-scheduling would be somewhat difficult. After March 9, we aren't allowed to hold any events at our school because of upcoming renovations, so we'd have to look into holding the event at another local school. If we can't re-schedule this year, we'll save the questions for use next year.

If you're still considering coming, go ahead and sign up on our website! We'll let you know whether or not we end up holding the tournament.
Sarah
TJHSST '13
tgaddy
Lulu

Post by tgaddy »

Montgomery Blair will definitely be coming to this tournament if it is still happening. We are trying to figure out if we will be able to bring two teams or just one. As soon as we know, we will go ahead and register. Sorry about the delay in signing up.
Thomas Gaddy
Montgomery Blair High School '13
jonathanmarx
Wakka

Post by jonathanmarx »

Similarly to Blair, we'll definitely have 1-2 teams here - things have been a bit hectic around here but we'll get a registration in during the early part of this coming week.
Jonathan Marx
Richard Montgomery '13
Yale '17
Pushkin's Beard
Lulu

Post by Pushkin's Beard »

GDS is the same as Blair and RM, we don't know whether we are going to bring 1 or 2 teams. I will have a better idea by Wednesday.
Noah Cowan
Georgetown Day School '15
tgaddy
Lulu

Post by tgaddy »

Is there still a possibility that this tournament will run with something like 8 or 10 teams or are you setting 12 teams as the absolute minimum?
Thomas Gaddy
Montgomery Blair High School '13
tribble
Lulu

Post by tribble »

We'd really like to have at least 12 teams; if this were run on a vendor set, the story might be different, but running it with such a small field doesn't really do justice to the amount of work Raynor and everybody else have put into the set. Since we only have seven teams registered now, it looks like this is canceled. We're looking into rescheduling, but the calendar from now until nationals looks pretty full, so I think it's unlikely. Should we find a date that works, I'll post here and e-mail all the teams that were registered for next Saturday to make sure they know. If we don't re-schedule this year, we'll run a tournament in the fall using the question set. I'm sorry that this shuts out many seniors' opportunity to play, but there just wasn't enough interest to run the tournament next Saturday.
Sarah
TJHSST '13
Panayot Hitov
Wakka

Re: CANCELED: JAMES at TJHSST-3/9/13

Post by Panayot Hitov »

yeah, we would have gone, but I think 80%+ of the team are taking SATs that day.
Paul Kirk-Davidoff
Oakland Mills High School '14
Carleton College '18
jonathanmarx
Wakka

Post by jonathanmarx »

Aw shucks.

The selfish side of me really hopes that you can find a time to reschedule it (either a Saturday or Sunday) - I was really looking forward to playing on this set!

Do you guys have any possible dates in mind?
Jonathan Marx
Richard Montgomery '13
Yale '17
tribble
Lulu

Post by tribble »

Looking at the date claim, the only open Saturdays are April 6, May 4/11, and June 1. We (and I think a number of other schools) have an It's Ac taping on April 6, I'm reluctant to do the May dates because they're in the middle of AP testing, and June 1 is our prom. We might look at Sundays, but whatever date we pick also has to work for whatever other area high school/middle school we try to host at (which is a whole other complication entirely). In short: yeah, it's pretty unlikely.
Sarah
TJHSST '13