Blue Hen XV - 3/23, Newark DE [IS-124]

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
mastaloo
Wakka

Blue Hen XV - 3/23, Newark DE [IS-124]

Post by mastaloo »

The University of Delaware Academic Competition Club is pleased to announce Blue Hen Invitational XV, which will take place on Saturday, March 23 at the UD campus in Newark, Delaware. We will be using NAQT IS set 124.

Fees:
First Team: $70
Subsequent Teams: $60
Buzzer System: -$5/ each
Experienced Moderator: -$10/ each

Checks should be written out to Academic Competition Club (U of DE). Payment may be made the morning of the event, or mailed to Academic Competition Club, c/o Student Activities Office, 218 Trabant University Center, Newark, DE 19716.

Location and Timing: Registration will begin at 8:00 AM and end at 8:45. We will then hold an opening meeting and start rounds by 9. Lunch will take place at some point around noon and we hope to finish at some reasonable point in the afternoon.

The opening meeting will take place in Smith Hall 120 and all games will take place in Purnell Hall, which is right next door. Below is a map of campus:

http://maps.rdms.udel.edu/map/index.php

In terms of parking, the best option would be the Visitor's Center lot on S. College Avenue, which can be found on the map. Parking is supposedly $12 for the day, but in past experience it has only cost $0.50 for the day. Another option is the Trabant Garage, which assuredly costs $12 for the day.

For lunch, the best option is Main St., which is a few blocks away from the tournament site. For those feeling particularly lazy, the Trabant Student Center is a block away from the site, but the food is mediocre and expensive.

To register, send an email to [email protected] listing the school name and the number of teams, buzzers, and staffers you will be bringing. Hope to see you there!

Field (max 24 teams): (# of teams/buzzers/staffers)
Manheim Township - 3/0/0
Camp Hill - 2/1/0
ELCO - 2/0/0
Caravel - 1/0/1
Caesar Rodney - 1/1/0
C. Milton Wright - 2/1/1
GDS - 1/0/0
A.I. Dupont - 1/0/0
Charter - 3/3/0
Concord - 2/1/0
Howard - 1/2/1
Salesianum (Interested)
Last edited by mastaloo on Wed Mar 20, 2013 7:46 pm, edited 8 times in total.
Alex Gross
Delaware '14

"I have something to say about the difference between American and European cities. But I've forgotten what it is. I have it written down at home somewhere." - David Byrne
mastaloo
Wakka

Re: Blue Hen XV - 3/23, Newark DE

Post by mastaloo »

I updated the original post with more location and timing details. Also, this is happening in one month, so remember to register!
Alex Gross
Delaware '14

"I have something to say about the difference between American and European cities. But I've forgotten what it is. I have it written down at home somewhere." - David Byrne
mastaloo
Wakka

Re: Blue Hen XV - 3/23, Newark DE [IS-124]

Post by mastaloo »

We have plenty of space in the field with two weeks to go and we'd love to see more teams. Get those registrations in!
Alex Gross
Delaware '14

mastaloo
Wakka

Post by mastaloo »

This tournament is now PACE-certified, meaning the top 15% of teams qualify for the NSC. We still have room in the field so feel free to register!
Alex Gross
Delaware '14

mastaloo
Wakka

Post by mastaloo »

We now have Platinum certification from PACE, meaning that the top 25% of teams will earn a bid to NSC this year. We still have some space in the field, so sign up before we close it!
Alex Gross
Delaware '14

btressler
Tidus

Post by btressler »

Going into Round 10, Manheim Township A and Charter A were both 9-0, having cleared the rest of the field by 3 games. The teams split the next 2 packets, and Manheim won the third game to take the title.

Prelims

Playoffs

Combined

Post any stat corrections here and I'll look into them.
Bill Tressler,
Dickinson ('97) Carnegie Mellon ('99) Delaware ('06)
Seen moderating at various SE Pennsylvania events.
mastaloo
Wakka

Post by mastaloo »

Thank you to all of the teams that attended yesterday! Although we started later than expected, I think we got back on track by the end of the day. I especially would like to thank Mike Brown, Bill Tressler, and all of the other alums who came to help. Congratulations to Manheim Township as well!
Alex Gross
Delaware '14

Magritte's Pipe
Lulu

Post by Magritte's Pipe »

Thank you for hosting such a well-run tournament. My players particularly enjoyed the tough competition we faced from the other teams - including eventual champion Manheim Township.
Andrew Gianelli
Lancaster Catholic '00
Coach, Camp Hill High School Quiz Bowl Team