VCU Spring Tournament [New Kent, VA] 3/16/2013

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
Frater Taciturnus
Auron

VCU Spring Tournament [New Kent, VA] 3/16/2013

Post by Frater Taciturnus »

This is the general announcement for the 2012 Virginia Commonwealth University Spring Tournament. This is a high school academic quizbowl tournament, to be held at New Kent High School on Saturday, March 16th from 8:30 AM until shortly after 4:30 PM.

LOCATION, DIRECTIONS, PARKING: The tournament will take place at New Kent High School, in scenic New Kent County, Virginia located at 7365 Egypt Rd New Kent, Virginia 23124. From my previous experience in traveling to New Kent, this is just a few miles off Interstate 64 exit 214. There should be plenty of parking outside the building available.

QUESTIONS: The tournament will be run on the Ladue Invitational Spring Tournament, written by the Ladue Horton Watkins High School team.

AFFILIATION: This tournament will seek affiliation with the Partnership for Academic Competition Excellence, and as such we expect it will be an opportunity to qualify for the National Scholastics Championship (pace-nsc.org), which will occur in June 2013.

FORMAT: This tournament will use the tossup/bonus format. A round will consist of 20 tossups with correct tossup answers earning a team a bonus in which it can earn up to 30 additional points, usually broken into three questions each worth 10 points. Teams will be seeded to preliminary groupings before being reseeded based on record. All teams will be offered a minimum of 9 games. Trophies will be awarded to the top teams, and book prizes will be awarded to the top individual scorers. The VCU team reserves the right to cap the field based on availability of space and staff.

REGISTRATION AND FEES:
-The fee structure is as follows:
Base fee: $70 per team. There is no limit to the number of teams who can attend from one school.
Buzzer discount: $5 off school's total fee for each fully functional system (control box and eight activators all work)-no limit to # of systems you can bring
Staff discount: $10 off school's total fee. This could be a coach, parent, student who is not playing, etc. Team-provided staffers will keep score for various games not involving the team with which they are affiliated. Volunteer staffers must stay through all the games (except finals) in order to receive credit for their school. There is no limit to the number of staffers you can bring.
Travel: $10 off the school's fee for every 150 one-way miles traveled to New Kent High school between your school's address and New Kent High School according to Google Maps.
Minimum fee: The minimum fee is $0 (you can bring enough buzzers and staffers to eliminate your entire fee via discounts, but you cannot have a "negative fee.")

-To register, e- mail me at [email protected] with the number of teams, buzzers, and staffers you want to bring, and an email address where you can be contacted with details. We are also requiring a cell phone contact number belonging to someone who will be attending the tournament, so that we can track you down if you are running late. Feel free to share this announcement with any schools that you think would be interested in attending. There is no further registration form or other action needed on your part in order to be officially registered; you only need to e-mail me at that address with the information requested. Posts made in this thread will not be considered official registrations; you must e-mail me.

METHOD OF PAYMENT: All teams must pay by the day of the tournament. We prefer to accept payment in person right before the tournament starts, but we will accept checks by mail ahead of time if your procedures require it. Teams who do not pay by the day of the tournament will be charged a $25 penalty and will have two weeks to pay their total amount before we start mailing letters to your school administration about it.
We can accept cash, personal checks, or checks from school, school district, or quizbowl club funds. We have no ability to process purchase orders, credit cards, Paypal, or any other forms of payment. Bringing forms of payment outside of the three listed will be considered nonpayment and subject you to the $25 late payment penalty.
We will contact registered teams with instructions on who to make the checks out to. If you require a pre-tournament invoice in order to have a check cut, let us know by February 22nd so that we can send you the paperwork in time. If you do not let us know about this requirement by February 22nd, and it causes you to come to the tournament without your payment, then you will be subject to the $25 late payment penalty.

TEAM & ROSTER SIZE: There may be a maximum of six players on one team's roster, up to four of whom may play at one time. There will be no exceptions to this rule. If you bring more than six players, you must register a second team to have all of them play. There is a halftime substitution opportunity in each game. Each player may appear on only one team's roster throughout the day-no switching from the B team to the A team, etc. Teams may also play shorthanded with only three players. Teams consisting of fewer than three players may not play without my express prior permission.

FOOD: Neither breakfast nor lunch will be provided by the tournament. We will provide a list of suggested eateries for the lunch break.

Please e-mail me if you have any further questions. I'm looking forward to seeing a wide variety of teams from Virginia and surrounding states on the 16th.

George Berry
Quizbowl at VCU
Tournament Director, VCU Spring Tournament
[email protected]

LIST OF REGISTERED TEAMS (18):
Blacksburg
Culpeper County
Douglas Freeman
Georgetown Day (DC)
Gonzaga (DC)
Hanover
Howard (MD)
Maggie Walker A
Maggie Walker B
Maggie Walker C
Montgomery Blair (MD)
New Kent A
New Kent B
Richard Montgomery (MD)
Thomas Jefferson A
Thomas Jefferson B
Walter Johnson (MD)
Western Albemarle
Last edited by Frater Taciturnus on Fri Mar 15, 2013 12:22 am, edited 12 times in total.
Janet Berry
[email protected]
she/they
--------------
J. Sargeant Reynolds CC 2008, 2009, 2014
Virginia Commonwealth 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013,
Douglas Freeman 2005, 2006, 2007
Frater Taciturnus
Auron

Re: VCU Spring Tournament [New Kent, VA] 3/16/2013

I have been informed that this tournament has received Platinum Certification from PACE, meaning that the top 25% of the teams in this tournament will qualify for the National Scholastic Championship in College Park, Maryland, to be held June 8th and 9th.
Janet Berry
[email protected]
she/they
--------------
mithokie
Rikku

Post by mithokie »

I think PACE needs to declare this "Diamond Certified", 45% of the field is in the Morlan top 100 and 20% in the top 17. This is one to watch this weekend to help sort out the strongest teams in the Mid-Atlantic. We're looking forward to the challenge.
Matt Beeken
Eastern Montgomery High School
Math Instructional Coach
Scholastic Bowl Coach (2022 - ??)
mbeeken AT mcps DOT org
Frater Taciturnus
Auron

Stats for the prelim rounds are available at http://www.hsquizbowl.org/db/tournament ... s/prelims/
Janet Berry
[email protected]
she/they
--------------
Frater Taciturnus
Auron

Congratulations to Maggie Walker "A," the champions of the 2013 VCU Spring TOurnament, by nature of their clearing the field. Montgomery Blair finished second at 8-2, and Thomas Jefferson A was the last team left standing after a three team tiebreaker for third place, edging out New Kent A (4th), and Walter Johnson (5th). Richard Montgomery rounded out the top bracket.

Thanks to all teams that came out to compete today, and to all the staff that came and helped us run the tournament today, including Evan Adams, Will Alston, Sarah Angelo, Matt Beeken, Matt Bollinger, John Gilbert, Matt Jackson, Brian Mongilio, and Dave Porter.

Complete stats will be made available as soon as I get them from Sean.
Janet Berry
[email protected]
she/they
--------------
Mewto55555
Tidus

Post by Mewto55555 »

Hopefully everyone enjoyed the set today! Please remember not to publicly discuss any specifics, as there are still other mirrors yet-to-happen. A private discussion forum has been set up; to join it, go to user control panel (at top left of this page) --> usergroups (one of the tabs) --> toggle "LIST III discussion" and press join selected.
Max
formerly of Ladue, Chicago
Matt Weiner
Sin

Post by Matt Weiner »

Playoff stats and division-free combined stats are now up at http://www.hsquizbowl.org/db/tournaments/1334/ .

Third place was played off on half-games: New Kent defeated Walter Johnson 220-105, then TJ A defeated New Kent 255-90.
Matt Weiner
Advisor to Quizbowl at Virginia Commonwealth University / Founder of hsquizbowl.org
naan/steak-holding toll
Auron

Post by naan/steak-holding toll »

This is the first time I got to see a lot of the best teams in the DMV square off against each other and I was blown away. Maggie Walker, Blair, and TJ are frightening, WJ has gotten really good (kudos, especially to Sameen), and New Kent and RM are as impressive as ever. Noah and teammates from GDS haven't been slacking, either. Nobody impressed me more than Eric from Western Albermarle, though, for reasons that should be plain enough - I can only imagine how good he'll be as a senior if he keeps up his game.
Last edited by naan/steak-holding toll on Sun Mar 17, 2013 10:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Will Alston
Dartmouth College '16
Columbia Business School '21
jonathanmarx
Wakka

Post by jonathanmarx »

gamegeek2 wrote:This is the first time I got to see a lot of the best teams in the DMV square off against each other and I was blown away. Maggie Walker, Blair, and TJ are frightening, WJ has gotten really good (kudos especially to Sameen), and New Kent and RM are as impressive as ever. Noah and teammates from GDS haven't been slacking, either. Nobody impressed me more than Eric from Western Albermarle, though, for reasons that should be plain enough - I can only imagine how good he'll be as a senior if he keeps up his game.
Yeah, I wish I could've been there to see how we'd fare against all of these teams at full strength - this might be the most stacked non-nationals field we'll play all year.
Jonathan Marx
Richard Montgomery '13
Yale '17
Beevor Feevor
Rikku

Post by Beevor Feevor »

I think there's an error in the stats; don't think that Gonzaga got 23 tossups in a 20/20 format against GDS in the first game of the afternoon matches, which brought down their ppb for the day. Great tournament by the way, I thought it was well run, and it finished early, which is incredible to me. Thanks to New Kent and VCU, and congrats to Maggie Walker for winning!
Eric Xu
Western Albemarle '15
Virginia '19
Harvard '23
mithokie
Rikku

Post by mithokie »

Alexander probably had a 4 - 3 - 1 stat line instead of a 4 - 13 - 1 in that game.
Matt Beeken
Eastern Montgomery High School
Math Instructional Coach
Scholastic Bowl Coach (2022 - ??)
mbeeken AT mcps DOT org