Ohio Quizbowl

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
MahoningQuizBowler
Rikku

Post by MahoningQuizBowler »

Copley will come to Youngstown.

Regional qualifiers today include Aurora, Lancaster, Orange, Western Reserve Academy, and Hawken.

Once I update my post way above this one with the tournaments, I will try to compile a list of regional qualifiers so far.
BobGHHS
Rikku

Post by BobGHHS »

--Joe--
Zach and I had a talk about that very thing earlier tonight.

The last two years I've played my varsity in our tournament and I plan to do it again this year.

However, at practice once the question-writing process begins... the only thing I do with my guys is ask them "what do you want to practice today" or "what do you want to hit up on today" with no indication of any questions that may appear.

I trust Sue and her judgment, although it sometimes seems to me like "when will Copley just not make the playoffs at their own tournament..."

I don't know about it, i think it just depends on who you are dealing with. Personally I know I'm an honest person and I believe Sue is too... I dunno... its a good topic to post in the general section of this board and ask to people all around and see what they think...

We'll see what happens in two weeks at our tournament, things are finally starting to shape up... although I have a biochem test for college on the 11th, which oughta make getting everything ready, very interesting...

Bob
Bob Kilner
Kent State '06 - Boise State '10
Former Coach, Garfield Hts (OH) (2001-08)
Former Coach, Eastlake North HS (OH) (2015-22)

"I'd sooner fail than not be among the greatest." - John Keats
MahoningQuizBowler
Rikku

Regional qualifiers that I know of...

Let's try to get a complete list going.

Aurora (NE)
Hawken (NE)
Orange (NE)
Western Reserve Academy (NE)
Lancaster (SE)
Poland (EC)
Cloverleaf (NE?)
James A. Garfield (NE/EC?)
Garfield Heights (NE)
Tippecanoe (WC, host)
Solon (NE)
Copley (NE, host)
Fisher Catholic (SE)
West Holmes (EC?)
LaBrae (EC)
Massillon Jackson (EC?)
North Canton Hoover (EC/NE?)
Salem (EC)
Walsh Jesuit (NE)
Vienna Mathews (EC)
Firestone (NE)
Turpin (SW)
Saint Charles Prep (SE)
Akron Springfield (NE)
Lexington (NW)
Columbus Academy (WC?)
Yellow Springs (WC)
Findlay (NW)
Seven Hills (SW)
St. Marys (either WC or NW)
Defiance (won their league, host NW)
Celina (probably NW, maybe WC)
Sycamore (SW)
Walnut Hills (SW)
Anna (WC)
Oxford Talawanda (they were leading their league, not done yet - WC)
Batavia (SW?)
Bethel-Tate (SW?)
Georgetown (SW?)
Milton-Union (Darke/Preble/Miami League, WC)
Bellbrook (WC?)
Milan Edison (NW)
Canal Fulton Northwest (EC/NE)
Toledo Start (NW)
Last edited by MahoningQuizBowler on Mon Mar 21, 2005 5:23 pm, edited 9 times in total.
zwtipp
Rikku

Post by zwtipp »

add:
Columbus Academy (WC?)
Yellow Springs (WC)
Findlay (NW)
Seven Hills (SW)
I do not care much for large yellow Avians.
jrbellas
Lulu

Post by jrbellas »

Add:
St. Marys (either WC or NW)
Defiance (won their league, host NW)
Celina (probably NW, maybe WC)
Sycamore (SW)
Walnut Hills (SW)
Anna (WC)
Oxford Talawanda (they were leading their league, not done yet - WC)

Regrettably, I will be on vacation when OAC meets to assign teams. I won't even find out who I'm hosting until I get back from Spring Break. It can't be avoided, however, due to the meeting taking place on Good Friday.
MahoningQuizBowler
Rikku

There are no new qualifiers to report as far as I know. Does anyone else know any results that might be added to the list?
BobGHHS
Rikku

Hmmm...

Post by BobGHHS »

I was going to post by 'new' top 5, but it seems to me like most hasn't changed... here's my thoughts after my tournament...

1. Solon - Noah is a beast... they can't seem to beat us for some reason, but we can't seem to beat Copley...

2. Copley - They own OAC, but outside of that, they are weak...

3. Tippecanoe - They'd do fine if they didn't run into Solon at every tournament... although they too have a victory over them this year, by a pretty good margin...

4. Garfield Heights - my guys proved something to me, now I have to fill in the holes in their knowledge...

5. Fisher Catholic - after going 6-0 in prelims and taking the 2nd seed with a pretty high scoring average, they lost to my guys, squandering an 11-point lead going into the lightning round, and then Tipp smacked them around, which I'm sure felt great to Zach, getting the fisher monkey off his back.

What stinks is that beyond these five, its anyone's guess as to who the next best are....

Non OAC I think its Solon, Tipp, Garfield, Fisher, Copley....

"OAC is the great equalizer...." - Joe Bellas....

Aint that the truth?...

Any comments, Zach, Joe, Noah?
Bob Kilner

zwtipp
Rikku

Post by zwtipp »

I think I pretty much agree with your top five, except I think anyone can beat anyone among these groups. The dropoff from fifth to sixth isn't that much since I think all these teams have lost to someone not among the top five. Expect some teams out of the NW (Findlay) and SW (St. X) to upset at least one team at States.
Against the top five we are 5-6.
2-2 v. Fisher Catholic (beat them in a close game at WVWC, also at Garfield Heights. Lost at copley and prelims of Garfield Heights in games that were close in the lightning round.)
0-1 v. Garfield Heights (lost by five at Copley after squandering an early lead and being tied going into the lightning round)
1-1 v. Copley (beat them by an OK margin at B2k5, lost by alot at copley)
2-2 v. Solon (beat them pretty good at BGSU, then barely at Copley)

I think Solon will own everyone at NAQT states, but upsets are possible. OAC is anyone's game, especially if the team questions are unbalanced.
BobGHHS
Rikku

Post by BobGHHS »

Our record against the Top 5
1-0 against Tipp
3-0 against Solon
1-1 against Fisher
1-5 against Copley.... its the friggin curse, I swear....

so 6-6 overall.... 5-1 to teams not named Copley....

I will be happy to make it to the NAQT state final and lose to Solon... as long as its them. Since I don't really particularly talk to any other teams that will be in the big school division....

You guys should be in the middle division with Copley, if it breaks down like Greg was talking, but who knows.

Bob
Bob Kilner

MahoningQuizBowler
Rikku

A lot of that depends on who comes in at the last moment. I have been contacted by Ursuline Academy, Medina, Firestone, and of course pushing the tournament to all the Mahoning County schools, particularly Boardman and Struthers, in the last week. Of those, Medina is the firmest in terms of committment.
MahoningQuizBowler
Rikku

Bob, are you putting together your pre-Regionals report yet? Let me know when you need the info on this area.
BobGHHS
Rikku

Post by BobGHHS »

Greg--
I was going to do it right after my tournament, but it seems logical to wait until after March 25 (OAC meeting where regions are determined) to start speculating on regional champs... especially if we get sent somewhere else like solon did last year.... or any team for that matter gets sent somewhere out...

Target around April 1 as the date it will be released.

Bob
Bob Kilner

FCqb
Lulu

who wants to slam jam

Post by FCqb »

Hey guys, first post from FC, and I gotta say that all five teams look pretty sweet this year. I have yet to see the mighty Solon this year, but based on the legends and rumors, it sounds like they take the cake. Copley is always a strong team (I don't wanna talk about that 51-41 in finals of copley... they got us pretty good). GH baffles me, we've stomped them with a three man team at the "no frills" copley only to get brutalized out of a nine point lead at their tournament. I'd like to play them again, but they definitely have a good team. Tipp is strong too, they got us on a tie breaker in NAQT in WV, and murdered us for third at GH. We beat them at copley and GH prelims in our bracket, but really it came down to the lightening round. I think we can run with Tipp on good day but it really is anyones game. Zach is definitely a strong player, I guess we hurt with no seniors. I'd like to see more of the other teams mentioned though, Tipp is the only one we've played much. The ranking looks good, but I am obligated to defend FC. I gotta atleast say that we could pull an upset. Anyways i look forward to seeing each team play again, and good luck to all.

-kyle
Let the Looking-Glass creatures, whatever they be
Come dine with the Red Queen, the White Queen and Me
MahoningQuizBowler
Rikku

FC, please consider coming to the Ohio championship on the 16th. See the regular season forum for details.
BobGHHS
Rikku

Post by BobGHHS »

Kyle--
Which one of the FC guys are you...... I don't know you guys by name because we don't see you very often, like we do Tipp and Solon and Copley...

You're right, you pummeled us at No Frills.... we are a streaky team... ask Zach all about that... only we could beat Solon and Tipp, then lose to Cloverleaf.... like we did at Copley... I don't know what came over my guys at our tournament, but the lightning round was their friend all day... I think if they just have 'questions' to answer, they do better than if they're trying to anticipate toss-ups... I didn't really think many of my tossups were anticipatable anyways... although there were a few....

You guys are in the same boat we were in last year... strong team with no seniors... you guys will be killer next year... trust me...

Thanks for coming up to our tournament too by the way..... luckily the storm hit AFTER you were already here in town.... Our tournament just proved that anybody can beat anybody.... as the records show, us, Solon and Tipp are all like 6-6 against each other, you and Copley... and most games are close...

It should make for an interesting state tournament.

Bob
Bob Kilner

FCqb
Lulu

Post by FCqb »

Mr. Kilner, first let me say the tournament was great fun, the questions were written weell, thanks for hosting. You guys run a smooth show. As to which kid from Fisher, I am skinny kid with shaggy blonde hair, you may or may not recognize me.
I think everyone is a bit streaky this year, with the records of each team. But I can say that you're kids were on fire that lightening round and conquering Solon is a most impressive feat. Most of the teams have earned some bragging rights and had some harsh losses, i guess. States will be quite a fire fight. Thanks for the optimism about next year, by the way, I hope we leave a mark in this brave new world when our time comes. Until next time, Mr. Kilner.

~kyle

P.S. the string of math questions... I didn't know whether to laugh or cry... parrots and ferrets...

p.p.s Mahoningqb, if you're talkin NAQT, I'm pretty sure we're going, thanks for the heads up.
MahoningQuizBowler
Rikku

If you are coming, have your coach fire an e-mail to me at [email protected] so I can get her more detailed information and a registration form.
BobGHHS
Rikku

Post by BobGHHS »

Kyle-
Call me Bob... I'm neither a teacher (yet), nor do I like the Mister thing, so just drop that part off... Thanks for the good words about the tournament... a former team member of ours wrote the math questions, and yeah, I thought they were rather amusing too... although some were nuts. In regards to who you are, I don't forget many faces, and I remember thinking you looked like a 'skater' as us northern folk call it.... and then thinking you don't see too many of those coming out of Catholic schools..... States is going to be nuts, feel good you aren't in the Northeast Hell, er... region with all of us... Your path isn't nearly as crazy as ours... just pound on St. Charles for me... :wink: Hopefully we'll see you guys at NAQT states on the 16th.

Bob
Bob Kilner

MahoningQuizBowler
Rikku

Hey Joe, can I attend the meeting as your designated representative? :) I'm sure the people in Portsmouth would love that...
zwtipp
Rikku

Regional Assignments

Post by zwtipp »

Here are this year's regional assignments for anyone who doesn't have access to the yahoo group.

East Central
1. Dover
2. Edison (Richmond)
3. Granville
4. Massillon Jackson
5. James A. Garfield
6. LaBrae
7. Loudonville
8. New Philadelphia
9. Newark
10. Poland
11. St. Peter
12. Salem
13. Tri-Valley

Southeast
1. Fisher Catholic
2. Batavia
3. Bethel-Tate
4. Bexley
5. Centerburg
6. Chillicothe
7. Fairland
8. Grove City
9. Lancaster
10. Lynchburg-Clay
11. Notre Dame
12. Saint Charles
13. Columbus Academy
14. Unioto
15. Valley
16. Wheelersburg

Northwest
1. Avon Lake
2. Clay
3. Columbian
4. Danbury
5. Defiance
6. Edison (Milan)
7. Findlay
8. Lexington
9. Liberty-Benton
10. Pandora-Gilboa
11. Rocky River
12. Tinora
13. Van Buren
14. Whitmer

West Central
1. Anna
2. Bellbrook
3. Bluffton
4. Carroll
5. Eastwood
6. Elida
7. Lebanon
8. Lima Shawnee
9. Oakwood
10. Olentangy
11. St. Joseph Central Catholic
12. Tippecanoe
13. West Liberty-Salem
14. Yellow Springs

Southwest
1. Amelia
2. Elder
3. Georgetown
4. Lakota East
5. Lakota West
6. LaSalle
7. Madeira
8. Milford
9. Purcell Marian
10. Seven Hills
11. St. Xavier
12. Summit Country Day
13. Sycamore
14. Turpin
15. Walnut Hills
16. Finneytown

Northeast
1. Copley
2. Solon
3. Garfield Heights
4. Twinsburg
5. Dalton
6. WRA
7. Cloverleaf
8. Aurora
9. Firestone
10. Gilmour
11. Hawken
12. Hoover
13. Northwest
14. Orange
15. Springfield
16. Walsh

I bolded my picks for each regional. It looks like NE is the hardest region (as usual) and SW is probably the second hardest.
BobGHHS
Rikku

Post by BobGHHS »

Noah...
Who is coming to SCC2 on Saturday... I'm bringing two and I think N.Olmsted was as well... but who else is coming... I'm just curious...

Bob
Bob Kilner

jrbellas
Lulu

Post by jrbellas »

Tippecanoe won't be there. Sorry! :cry:

A quick change to the regions - Columbus Academy is now coming to the West Central region, which is closer for them (and they had sent their form in quite early). This could change things - since CA is a very good team and has played several teams pretty tough that post on the board this year.

In my opinion, Columbus Academy could easily come out of WC, making it more likely now that Lancaster would be the next team out of SE, along with Fisher Catholic. St. Charles is always a strong possibility as well, depending on the questions.

Here are my picks for the regions:
EC - Poland, Salem
SE - Fisher, Lancaster
NW - Findlay, Rocky River
WC - Tippecanoe, Columbus Academy
SW - St. Xavier, Sycamore
NE - Solon, Garfield Hts.

I know, I'm leaving out Copley, but GHHS and Solon won't be denied. Their speed will be the difference.
BobGHHS
Rikku

Post by BobGHHS »

Joe--
Thanks for the vote of confidence... If Abbaad is still on the DL, I think Solon and us will come out of the NE without a hitch.

If he's there, it makes it more difficult. I think its time we beat them regardless if he's there or not though. We can beat Solon (no offense Noah) and they beat Copley each time... so there's no reason we can't beat them... its all in their heads.
Bob Kilner

BobGHHS
Rikku

Post by BobGHHS »

Going into regionals, this is how I feel about the teams in Ohio... not going through the fact that OAC format is an equalizer again.

1. Solon... Noah, you're a monster, plain and simple-- you guys won NAQT states and you deserved it.

2. Tippecanoe-- walked through an easy division II bracket at NAQT states, but they've proved time and time again they can hang with the big boys... winning down at Spotswood, and placing in just about (if not every) tournament they've entered this year with their normal varsity. They are a very well-rounded team.

3. Copley -- Abbaad is supposed to be back for saturday, so they should make the trip to Columbus again along with Solon.

4. Garfield -- my guys show a lot of heart sometimes, especially bouncing back after that tough loss to Firestone and going 8-1 in the bracket, beating both Copley and Solon. They were within 20 points of Solon with 5 questions left before Solon pulled away in the championship.

5. Fisher -- its a scary thought having a completely underclass team, although we did it last year without many people realizing it. What a difference a year makes. Fisher could be the team to beat once again next year... (and they're still tough this year)

6. Findlay -- 2nd at Tipp, t3rd at Garfield... if this team played a little bit more, they would be incredible.

Others to maybe consider... St. Charles, St. Xavier, Turpin, Madeira....

We'll see what happens,
Good luck Saturday.

Joe and the Tipp Boys--Noah and the Solon Boys-- Congratulations again.
Bob Kilner

FCqb
Lulu

Lancaster

Post by FCqb »

I have to give a nod to the team across the street. Lancaster probably will not take states, but the have a pretty tough team from our area this year. It's a pretty safe bet that they will clear regionals (giving us a run for our money) and they could take out some upper tier teams. They beat us in our very first match of the season, or was that our nerves... but they have a pretty strong team. Anyways, just a little background on the SE.
BobGHHS
Rikku

Post by BobGHHS »

My guys must be on a roll... or they're peaking at the right time.
Here is the results of the Northeast Regional Tournament

Round 1:
Bye to Firestone
Springfield 54 - Hoover 53
Solon 71 - WRA 30
Orange 79 - Twinsburg 45
Copley 68 - Hawken 51
Garfield Hts 66 - Walsh Jesuit 49
Gilmour Academy 52 - Aurora 50
Cloverleaf 56 - Northwest 49

Round 2:
Winners Bracket
Garfield Hts 70 - Solon 64
Copley 66 - Springfield 52
Orange 70 - Gilmour Academy 58
Cloverleaf 63 - Firestone 62

Consolation Bracket
Hoover 64 - Aurora 54 - Aurora is Eliminated
Hawken 72 - WRA 43 - WRA is Eliminated
Northwest 61 - Walsh Jesuit 59 - Walsh is Eliminated
Bye to Twinsburg

Round 3:
Winners Bracket
Garfield Hts 66 - Cloverleaf 59
Orange 66 - Copley 62

Consolation Bracket
Solon 76 - Hoover 64 - Hoover is eliminated
Firestone 68 - Northwest 61 - Northwest is eliminated
Hawken 67 - Twinsburg 53 - Twinsburg is eliminated
Springfield 66 - Gilmour Academy 59 - Gilmour is eliminated

Round 4:
Winners Bracket Final
Garfield Hts. 66 - Orange 61 - Garfield Hts. advances to State

Consolation Bracket
Hawken 68 - Solon 66 - Solon is eliminated
Copley 68 - Springfield 44 - Springfield is eliminated
Firestone 58 - Cloverleaf 56 - Cloverleaf is eliminated

Round 5
Consolation Bracket
Hawken 63 - Orange 61 - Orange is eliminated
Copley 71 - Firestone 53 - Firestone is eliminated

Round 6
Consolation Bracket Final
Copley 58 - Hawken 55 - Hawken eliminated, Copley advances to state

Round 7
NE Regional Championship Match 1
Garfield Hts. 63 - Copley 53
Garfield Hts. is regional champion
Copley is regional runner-up
Bob Kilner

zwtipp
Rikku

West Central Results

Post by zwtipp »

Results for the West Central Region

Round 1:
Lima Shawnee - BYE
Tippecanoe d. Oakwood 66-45
Columbus Academy d. Lebanon 63-46
Yellow Springs d. West Liberty Salem 45-39
Olentangy-Liberty d. Anna 49-53
Carroll d. Eastwood 51-49
Bluffton d. Bellbrook 56-47
St. Joseph Central Catholic - BYE

Round 2:
Winner's Bracket-
Tippecanoe d. Lima Shawnee 64-55
Columbus Academy d. Yellow Springs 60-56
Olentangy-Liberty d. Carroll 66-45
Bluffton d. St. Joseph Central Catholic 67-55

Loser's Bracket-
Oakwood - BYE
Lebanon d. West Liberty Salem 68-43
Anna d. Eastwood 55-49
Bellbrook - BYE

ELIMINATED: West Liberty Salem; Eastwood

Round 3:
Winner's Bracket-
Tippecanoe d. Columbus Academy 64-53
Olentangy-Liberty d. Bluffton 55-52

Loser's Bracket-
Oakwood d. St. Joseph Central Catholic 62-47
Carroll d. Lebanon 61-52
Anna d. Yellow Springs 63-42
Lima Shawnee d. Bellbrook 70-42

ELIMINATED: St. Joseph Central Catholic; Lebanon; Yellow Springs;
Bellbrook

Round 4:
Winner's Bracket Finals-
Tippecanoe d. Olentangy-Liberty 76-42

Loser's Bracket-
Carroll d. Oakwood 53-47
Lima Shawnee d. Anna 63-43

ELIMINATED: Oakwood; Anna

Round 5:
Loser's Bracket-
Columbus Academy d. Carroll 56-41
Lima Shawnee d. Bluffton 65-37

ELIMINATED: Carroll; Bluffton

Round 6:
Loser's Bracket-
Columbus Academy d. Lima Shawnee 61-54

ELIMINATED: Lima Shawnee

Round 7:
Loser's Bracket Finals-
Olentangy-Liberty d. Columbus Academy 69-28

ELIMINATED: Columbus Academy

Round 8:
Finals-
Tippecanoe d. Olentangy-Liberty 64-49

West Central Winner: Tippecanoe
West Central Runner Up: Olentangy-Liberty

Both these teams advance to OAC States.

Nice job to everyone who participated.
MahoningQuizBowler
Rikku

Warning: Long post ahead...

You would hope that after running a tournament for three years, most of the major kinks could be worked out. I am well aware that the tournament I ran at YSU last Saturday was not the smoothest running event ever produced. I hope that I am given a chance to learn from my mistakes. However, if I continue to make similar mistakes, I should not be allowed to host anymore. The same logic applies to the East Central tournament, which many of you would argue contains the weakest field of the six regions, and I will add to that idea: it has the weakest leadership at the TD position of the six.

First and foremost, his interpretation of the forfeiture rule is flawed. OAC Rule D11 states that if an appeal is lost, the appealing team MAY forfeit its next match. This has been covered before, but the operating word there is MAY. According to Bob, Sue Korosa said that this rule would be enforced only if teams were making frivolous protests on a consistent basis. I do not know the particulars of the protest in question, but in a one point, winner’s bracket contest between Edison and New Philadelphia, a team should not have to worry for its tournament life if it has a legitimate question about a question. In the case of Edison, they fell victim to the tournament director’s incorrect assessment of Rule D11, and went from winner’s bracket semifinalist to being eliminated from the tournament by losing the protest and having to forfeit their next match within a few minutes. This is an extremely harsh judgment and one that I hope I would have the clarity of mind never to make--or at the very least, have a VERY good reason if I had to execute that policy.

Secondly, despite my name being listed on the registration sheet as the volunteer reader for Poland, the readers for this tournament seemed to be hand selected by the tournament director himself. IF this is the case, then why does that section exist on the form? To add insult to injury, a colleague of mine from Mahoning County was called in to read because of a “reader shortageâ€
FCqb
Lulu

News from the SE

Post by FCqb »

Well guys, it is a sad day for FC... I couldn't tell you complete results, but in short, we took third. Bexley swept the region going undefeated (who knew?) beating us in the final by a whopping 3 points. Both scores were in the sixties. We had already taken out St. Charles only for them to beat lancaster and come back at us. Once again we were kept from escaping our fate by a narrow three points. All i can say is that the close ones are the hardest ones, the ones where each mistake keeps you up at night as the difference between first and third. Bexley is a tough team, keep an eye on them, St. Charles is beatable. Congrats to all the other qualifiers in other regions, especially Garfield and Copley for surviving the region of death. Solon, my condolences, what a year though. Good luck to all in states, especially seniors. As for us, there's always next year, you'll see us around. until then, may you all fight the good fight.
-kyle signing out
zwtipp
Rikku

Post by zwtipp »

Since no one has posted the final regional winners here, I'll do it.

WC
Tippecanoe
Olentangy-Liberty

SW
Lakota East
Lakota West

NW
Findlay
Rocky River

EC
Salem
New Philadelphia

SE
Bexley
St. Charles

NE
Garfield Heights
Copley

Should be a good tourney on Saturday.
zwtipp
Rikku

State Results

Post by zwtipp »

1st - Copley
2nd - Tippecanoe
3rd - Lakota West
t-4th - Lakota East and Rocky River (?)
solonqb
Rikku

Post by solonqb »

What happened to Garfield?
Noah Rahman
Welcome to Simbabwe, where the property is already owned and the houses built and you compete to burn and dispossess them. Compete with Robert Mugabe, Canaan Banana, Cecil Rhodes and Sir Godfrey Huggins to earn a place on the all-time EU travel ban list!
BobGHHS
Rikku

Post by BobGHHS »

Noah
We got spanked in round 2 by Lakota East (they were fast as hell) and then had the luxury of playing Tipp in Round 3. Tipp was up 10 going into the category round and ended up winning by 3... so after a bye and 2 losses, we were done....

My guys didn't come to play, didn't care that they did bad, and frankly, I'm up in the air to whether I'm coaching or not next year. Read the qtcentral message I posted. Thanks for the confidence in them though, I wish they had any confidence in themselves ever.
Bob Kilner

jrbellas
Lulu

Post by jrbellas »

Lakota East was very fast indeed. But not very knowledgeable, and their early buzzes doomed them when they played Copley and Tipp.

Bob, I think you did tremendously well for being a 22-year old coach with nothing to hold over the kids heads. At least, I see my young charges every day and can check on them, their teachers, and their grades. I can also remind them to get to work on specific things. And I am old enough that I am not in danger of being perceived as their friend, but their coach. While I hope for a friendly relationship, we all know that I am not their buddy. I imagine it would be much harder to keep your relationship from being blurred when you are only 4 years older than your team captain.

Hang in there. From what I saw at your own tournament, your JV (next year's Bulldog varsity) will be VERY salty and could hold their own against anyone! :smile: Don't be too hasty in your decision, negating any chance for those kids to shine, especially when you have some pretty neat kids coming through your pipeline.
BobGHHS
Rikku

Post by BobGHHS »

Ok, so who in Ohio will be the teams to beat next year...

My picks:

Copley - as always, will be well-balanced with a broad range of knowledge. They return Robert and one other kid, plus they have the two chinese girls who also had some varsity time... they will still be awesome...

Fisher Catholic - returning their entire team... just like we did this year... could be a force.

Garfield - we will still be good... not nearly as good without Jon, Lucy and Anisha, but Dan, now a sophomore in the fall is working hard to catch up in some areas we need help in... and Zeke is also busting his tail...

Solon - Can Ajay keep the team strong next year?

St. Charles - Everyone put them down, but they shocked everyone and escaped the SE region... what will they bring to the table next year...

Others to Consider:

St. X - I haven't heard anything about how their coach is doign after his heart attack and surgery in February... they seem to be very strong every couple years, so lets see what happens...

Moeller - two-time defending state runners-up and they don't even go to regionals....

Lakota East/West - Who knows??

Defiance - another team to watch...

Tipp - ??? I didn't know what grades Demetrius and the others were in besides Zach and Richard... so will Tipp still be a force?

Joe-- interested in hearing your thoughts, seeing as you are in a completely different end of the state and see many more teams in Ohio than I do...
Bob Kilner

zwtipp
Rikku

Post by zwtipp »

Tipp's team will pretty much be all juniors next year.
Ryan (Demetrius) was a sophomore this year and will probably be the main force on the team next year.
DeLtA_IjK
Kimahri

Post by DeLtA_IjK »

Hah... roomed with Demetrius and Richard at ASCN err.. in Chicago... Ohio's teams are pretty good. Fun stuff. ^_^
-Max Chen
DH TTHS
Lulu
Location: about 15 miles north of that joke of a city Dayton, Ohio

Post by DH TTHS »

Max Power!! What a guy! Good luck at Rochester next year. As for Ohio I would go Fisher, GH, Copley, and Solon in that order. However I don't know the status of the players at some schools like Salem, Cloverleaf, and Findlay. If all there best players weren't all seniors last year then they could be pretty good. As for us we should be ok. We had a huge amount of sophmores on our team this year and we got a lot of experience, and some of them including me are going to ACE this summer. Things sure won't come as easy though without Zack blowing everyone away and slaughtering the competition.
Demetrius Haas
THE TIPPECANOE HIGH SCHOOL

This season dedicated in memory of Barbaro and Anna Nichole Smith.

RIP
jrbellas
Lulu

Post by jrbellas »

I have no idea who will play varsity next year - We will have a mix of people moving in and out depending on the format and their practice stats.

I see Ryan, Mike Dever, Dan Peters (Sr.), Matt DeNuzzo, Nick Makley and Doug Slocum all figuring prominently, in addition are a pack of six to eight other juniors who all will be fighting for playing time. I've also heard that we are getting two kids who are new to the team (moving in from other districts or were around but intimidated by Zach). :roll: It seems like every year we get someone who comes out of nowhere and plays great. This year it was Dever, next year, who knows? But we have talent roaming the halls of The Tippecanoe High School -- I just have to find it and herd it off to a tournament!

As for other schools to look out for, I have very little idea. Miami Valley seemed good, and they were all Juniors. Also, Columbus Academy had a good year, and they were definitely young. St. Charles should be a power again. The usual suspects from the NE are likely to be strong as well. However, my money is on Fisher to win state, only because Mike and Lynn have got a great TEAM that isn't concentrated in one person. One-man teams are not destined for top success IMHO, because if you have an illness or loss of form (re: Abbad/Copley) you'll have a real dropoff. There were a lot of one-man shows out in Ohio this year (Noah, Zach, the girl from Lancaster) but only a few deep and consistent teams. Fisher is my early favorite because of that.

Just because we're headed to camp doesn't mean much. Its a step in the right direction, to be sure, but we have a lot of work to do to make up for what we lost in our Seniors (not just Zach) this year. Plus, we'll really be hurting in Science, and maybe a little in fine arts as well.
solonqb
Rikku

Post by solonqb »

BobGHHS wrote:Ok, so who in Ohio will be the teams to beat next year...Garfield - we will still be good... not nearly as good without Jon, Lucy and Anisha, but Dan, now a sophomore in the fall is working hard to catch up in some areas we need help in... and Zeke is also busting his tail...
Did Jim decide to quit or something?

Also, on a completely unrelated note, how does February 18, 2006 sound for the next Comet Classic. It shouldn't conflict with any SAT or ACT sessions, nor any other tournaments that I know of out there. Let me know, and we'll finalize it.
Noah Rahman
Welcome to Simbabwe, where the property is already owned and the houses built and you compete to burn and dispossess them. Compete with Robert Mugabe, Canaan Banana, Cecil Rhodes and Sir Godfrey Huggins to earn a place on the all-time EU travel ban list!
BobGHHS
Rikku

Post by BobGHHS »

Jim didn't quit, he just doesn't want to put any extra work in to get better, so I save my breath even mentioning him... I keep him on the team because he hasn't really done anything to warrant being thrown off, and frankly, it would hurt the rest of the team to lose him... even if he does make me mad sometimes...

February 18th sounds good to me... is that a date where you can be back in town or something Noah?... is that why so early next year... (just curious)
Bob Kilner

solonqb
Rikku

Post by solonqb »

BobGHHS wrote:February 18th sounds good to me... is that a date where you can be back in town or something Noah?... is that why so early next year... (just curious)
No, unfortunately I won't be there. Airline tickets to LA being what they are, I can only fly back three times (for Thanksgiving, Winter and Spring break). We had originally wanted to hold it in February this year, as that seems to be a slow month for tournaments, but we had waited too long for yours to be set.
Noah Rahman
MahoningQuizBowler
Rikku

And so the season ends.

Congratulations to all the Ohio teams that flew the flag of the poisonous nut state at the various national tournaments. Next year should be very interesting.

Unfortunately, I know of at least one school that stands to lose its team unless outside funding/donations come in to support it. (Crestwood, Portage County runners-up) Are any other schools in the same situation?
BobGHHS
Rikku

Post by BobGHHS »

If our august or november levy don't pass, we will be getting canned, and I have this strange feeling they won't give me or Eric the money in the account if that happens, so it looks like we won't be doing tournaments unattached either.

Bob
Bob Kilner

zwtipp
Rikku

Post by zwtipp »

Hey everyone. I've heard about a singles tournament at University of Maryland and been asked if I wanted to go. It'd prolly cost me around 100 bucks for meals and gas and everything, but if anyone else from Ohio wanted to come and play too, I'd gladly drive them as long as they split the cost of gas. Is anyone remotely interested? The tourney is on August 6th, but we could wait to decide until a week or so before it. Email me or im me if you're interested.
solonqb
Rikku

Post by solonqb »

If I hadn't been the one who supplied the questions, I'd have loved to go. Trust me though, it is well worth it, especially for those looking to make the transition to college.

EDIT: Apparently they have changed sets, which is a good thing. I'll get in touch with you.
Noah Rahman
BobGHHS
Rikku

Post by BobGHHS »

Of course, its august 6th... I have a baseball game I can't miss that night or I would go... I looked into flights out in the afternoon, but to no avail.
Bob Kilner

zwtipp
Rikku

Post by zwtipp »

If anyone is interested in going to the singles tournament at U. of Maryland on the 6th, please let me know ASAP. I'd be driving and I'd like to split the cost of gas. I need one or two people. The tournament is open to people who were in high school the 2004-05 school year. Again let me know right away if you're interested through email or IM.

Thanks,
Zach
DH TTHS
Lulu
Location: about 15 miles north of that joke of a city Dayton, Ohio

Post by DH TTHS »

Why don't you take the great Chris? :lol: :lol: :lol:

If you do end up going though good luck.
Demetrius Haas
THE TIPPECANOE HIGH SCHOOL

This season dedicated in memory of Barbaro and Anna Nichole Smith.

RIP