Announcement--California Cup

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
i never see pigeons in wheeling
Rikku

Announcement--California Cup

Post by i never see pigeons in wheeling »

The UC Berkeley Quiz Bowl team, in association with the Bay Area Academic League (BAAL), is pleased to announce that we will be holding the inaugural California Cup, a series of four tournaments, the first of which will be held on the UC Berkeley campus on Saturday, December 8, 2012. We hope to attract many teams from across the state and possibly elsewhere. We will guarantee teams a high number of games (8 or more) per tournament and will make provisions so that teams are able to play others of the same skill level for most games.

We will be running these tournaments on high-quality question sets that have been vetted by the Partnership for Academic Competition Excellence (PACE). The sets that will likely be used are NAQT IS-120, an HSAPQ set, Ladue Invitational Spring Tournament, and the NAQT state championship set. The top teams in each separate tournament will qualify for the 2013 PACE National Scholastics Championship (NSC), which will be held on June 8th and 9th at the University of Maryland. Additionally, teams that perform well on NAQT sets during the California Cup will qualify for the 2013 High School National Championship Tournament (HSNCT), held Memorial Day weekend in Atlanta, Georgia.

There will be individual results for each tournament as well as a cumulative result. After the cup results are tallied, we will crown a California Cup state champion! There will be book prizes and gift cards for the highest-performing teams and individual scorers at each tournament, and other prizes are in store for the top California Cup teams. When calculating final Cup standings, we will account for the top three performances by each team, allowing us to account for extenuating circumstances at one tournament. Teams that register for the entire series of tournaments will be eligible for prizes at the end. With four guaranteed tournaments and plenty of gameplay, this series will offer the best prizes, value, and national qualification opportunities available anywhere in the state!

Entry Fees:
Base fee per team for package of all four tournaments: $250
New team (first year of quiz bowl competition): -$50
Buzzer discount: -$10 per tournament
Staff discount: -$10 per tournament (if needed)
Travel discount: -$25 per 75 miles one-way (determined by Google Maps)
Registering for a single tournament: $90

*Buzzers and staff discounts apply on an as-needed, first-come, first-serve basis. When registering, please detail how many staff and/or buzzers you may be able to bring. As the tournament approaches, we will let you know whether they are needed or not. Payment will be taken at registration on December 8th; please make checks payable to UC Berkeley Quiz Bowl Club.
We are setting a tentative field cap of 24 teams. There is no maximum to the number of teams each school may bring. We will likely be able to expand if there is enough interest, but until that point, we will accept teams on a first-come, first-serve basis. Fields can fill fast, so sign up soon to reserve your slot! To register, please send an email to [email protected]. Our website is http://californiacupquizbowl.wordpress.com/. The registration deadline for the first tournament is December 3. Please bring the cash or check for full payment of the series of tournaments to the first tournament and make it out to UC Berkeley Quiz Bowl. You can still pay the base fee $250 for three tournaments if you register by the second tournament in January.
Tentative dates for the next two tournaments in the series are 1/19 and 2/10. If you believe that these dates significantly conflict with your students’ other commitments, please let us know.

Thank you for your interest, and please spread the word to other high schools that are interested in quiz bowl or are heavily involved in other academic events like debate or Science Bowl. Middle schools are eligible to register as well. We look forward to an exciting year of academic competition!
-Tanay Kothari and Ankit Aggarwal, UC Berkeley Quiz Bowl Club

Varsity (10):
Archbishop Riordan
Bellarmine A
Bellarmine B
Crystal Springs
Escobar A
Escobar B
Escobar C
Harker
Mills
Mira Loma

JV (12):
Amador Valley
Castro Valley
Escobar D
Escobar E
Hillsdale
Lancers A
Lancers B
Lancers C
Rio Americano A
Rio Americano B
San Jose
South San Francisco

The field is now closed.

Field updated 12/7 --JTH
Last edited by i never see pigeons in wheeling on Wed Dec 05, 2012 1:57 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Ankit
Cal '16
Bellarmine College Preparatory '12
Important Bird Area
Forums Staff: Administrator

Re: Announcement--California Cup

Post by Important Bird Area »

The first California Cup tournament (this coming Saturday, December 8th) will also have a JV division using NAQT IS #121A.
Jeff Hoppes
President, Northern California Quiz Bowl Alliance
former HSQB Chief Admin (2012-13)
VP for Communication and history subject editor, NAQT
Editor emeritus, ACF

"I wish to make some kind of joke about Jeff's love of birds, but I always fear he'll turn them on me Hitchcock-style." -Fred
Important Bird Area

Registration is at 9:30 am in 118 Barrows. Email with directions, etc., will go out to all registered teams tonight.
Jeff Hoppes
Editor emeritus, ACF

"I wish to make some kind of joke about Jeff's love of birds, but I always fear he'll turn them on me Hitchcock-style." -Fred
Nick
Wakka

Post by Nick »

Just wanted to say that this sounded cool. Great job to Ankit/Tanay/Berkeley!
Nick
Important Bird Area

Congratulations to Escobar C (varsity) and Amador Valley (JV), the champions of the 2012 Cal Classic. Full stats will be posted soon. Thanks to all the teams and everyone from Berkeley who helped staff today!
Jeff Hoppes
Editor emeritus, ACF

Important Bird Area

Jeff Hoppes
Editor emeritus, ACF