MSU/UD Collaborative Tournament - 10/20, Newark DE

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
mastaloo
Wakka

MSU/UD Collaborative Tournament - 10/20, Newark DE

Post by mastaloo »

The University of Delaware Academic Competition Club is pleased to announce the first MSU/UD Collaborative Tournament, which will take place on Saturday, October 20th at the UD campus in Newark, Delaware. We will be using a house-written set created by both our team and members of the Michigan State team. This tournament is platinum certified by PACE, meaning that the top 25% of teams will qualify for the PACE NSC.

Fees:

First Team: $70
Subsequent Teams: $60
Buzzer System: -$5/ each
Experienced Moderator: -$10/ each

Checks should be written out to Academic Competition Club (U of DE). Payment may be made the morning of the event, or mailed to Academic Competition Club, c/o Student Activities Office, 218 Trabant University Center, Newark, DE 19716.

Set:
We will use a house-written set created by both our team and Michigan State. Our goal for this set is to provide universally gettable answers while still offering harder early clues for more seasoned teams. In that sense, this set should appeal to teams at many different ability levels. The set is fully written and will have been played in two locations before this site, allowing for proper adjustments.

4/4 Literature
4/4 History
4/4 Science
2.5/2.5 Fine Arts
2.5/2.5 Religion/Mythology/Philosophy
1/1 Geography
.67/.67 Current Events
.67/.67 Social Science
.67/.67 Trash
1/0 Tiebreaker

Location and Timing: The tournament will take place in Smith and Purnell Halls, which can be found on this map: http://maps.rdms.udel.edu/map/index.php

Registration will begin at 8:15 in Smith 120. The opening meeting will then begin at 9, and round 1 should begin shortly thereafter. We hope to finish the tournament by 5:30 at the latest.

For those who are driving, your best parking option is probably the Trabant University Center garage, which can also be found on the map. From there, it's only a short walk to Smith. Parking for the day should cost $12.

For lunch, teams may go to the food court at the nearby Trabant Student Center or other Newark establishments along Main Street (highly recommended).

To register, send an email to [email protected] listing the school name, emergency contact number, and the number of teams, buzzers, and moderators you will bring. Hope to see you there!

Field (max 24 teams): (# of teams/moderators/buzzers)
GDS - 1/0/3
Centennial - 4/0/2
RM - 1/0/2
C. Milton Wright - 1/1/1
Wilmington Charter - 4/1/2
Oakland Mills - 1/0/0
Howard - 1/1/2
Archmere - 1/1/1
Last edited by mastaloo on Tue Oct 16, 2012 8:28 pm, edited 14 times in total.
Alex Gross
Delaware '14

"I have something to say about the difference between American and European cities. But I've forgotten what it is. I have it written down at home somewhere." - David Byrne
Pushkin's Beard
Lulu

Re: MSU/UD Collaborative Tournament - 10/20, Newark DE

Post by Pushkin's Beard »

GDS is interested in attending this tournament.
Noah Cowan
Georgetown Day School '15
jonathanmarx
Wakka

Post by jonathanmarx »

RM is very interested... we'll probably register sometime in the next week or so once school gets back up and running.
Jonathan Marx
Richard Montgomery '13
Yale '17
mastaloo
Wakka

Post by mastaloo »

So this is taking place in a little over a month, and we have plenty of field space left! Don't forget to register.
Alex Gross
Delaware '14

"I have something to say about the difference between American and European cities. But I've forgotten what it is. I have it written down at home somewhere." - David Byrne
Pushkin's Beard
Lulu

Post by Pushkin's Beard »

GDS will be going to this tournament with 1-2 teams and 3 buzzers
Noah Cowan
Georgetown Day School '15
mastaloo
Wakka

Post by mastaloo »

Just a heads up, this tournament is now a platinum certified PACE NSC tournament. That means that the top 25% of teams will earn a spot to go to PACE nationals! Even more incentive to sign up.
Alex Gross
Delaware '14

mastaloo
Wakka

Post by mastaloo »

Original post updated with time/location details.
Alex Gross
Delaware '14

Black-throated Antshrike
Rikku

Post by Black-throated Antshrike »

Just a reminder that this is in two weeks so please keep the registrations coming in!!
Joe
Delaware
Panayot Hitov
Wakka

Post by Panayot Hitov »

We'll probably do this, too.
Paul Kirk-Davidoff
Oakland Mills High School '14
Carleton College '18
Ravi
Lulu

Post by Ravi »

Charter will bring 3-4 teams, 3 buzzers and a moderator
Ravi Suba
Wilmington Charter '13
Berkeley '17
mastaloo
Wakka

Post by mastaloo »

Remember, we still need an official registration with the above information as well as an emergency contact number sent to [email protected].
Alex Gross
Delaware '14

mastaloo
Wakka

Post by mastaloo »

So this is happening next week and we still have plenty of field space left, remember to send in those registrations!
Alex Gross
Delaware '14

mastaloo
Wakka

Post by mastaloo »

Last call for teams! This is happening Saturday.
Alex Gross
Delaware '14

jonathanmarx
Wakka

Post by jonathanmarx »

Do you know what the format is gonna look like yet?
Jonathan Marx
Richard Montgomery '13
Yale '17
mastaloo
Wakka

Post by mastaloo »

Not yet, since we're still waiting on a few registrations which are supposedly coming in soon.
Alex Gross
Delaware '14

mastaloo
Wakka

Post by mastaloo »

The field is now locked in at 14 teams. So, in terms of format, we decided on using 2 7-team round robin prelim brackets and then rebracketing after lunch into the top 8 teams and bottom 6 teams. The top 8 teams will play the 4 teams from the opposite prelim bracket, and all prelim games against playoff teams will carry over. An advantaged final will be played if necessary. So, top bracket teams will play a guaranteed 10 rounds, and bottom bracket teams will play 9. Although this solution isn't the greatest, we thought that it provided the fairest outcome considering the number of packets that we have to use.
Alex Gross
Delaware '14

btressler
Tidus

Post by btressler »

mastaloo wrote:For those who are driving, your best parking option is probably the Trabant University Center garage, which can also be found on the map. From there, it's only a short walk to Smith. Parking for the day should cost $12.
The website suggests that parking options are going to be more open this weekend due to homecoming. I'm not sure if that means parking tickets won't be issued, it only states that visitor passes won't be required on Saturday.

I recall Mark Pellegrini telling me that lot 41 is a good choice to avoid paying $12. It is one block south of the buildings being used.

EDIT: This turned out to be good advice, the parking fee is 50 cents on weekends.
Last edited by btressler on Sat Oct 20, 2012 5:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bill Tressler,
Dickinson ('97) Carnegie Mellon ('99) Delaware ('06)
Seen moderating at various SE Pennsylvania events.
btressler
Tidus

Post by btressler »

Richard Montgomery currently holds a one-game advantage in a final with Centennial A.

Stats Through the first 7 rounds

EDIT: Richard Montgomery won. Your PACE qualifiers are:

1. Richard Montgomery
2. Centennial A
3. Charter A
4. Oakland Mills

Overall standings
Bill Tressler,
The Stately Rhododendron
Rikku

Post by The Stately Rhododendron »

Other than going on a little late, I thought the tournament went pretty well. There were some questionable power marks in the set, but otherwise i thought the difficulty was fine. I'm pretty sure that this may have been the first tournament ever that OM had a PPB above 20, so that's cool. Also, Centennial isn't too shabby this year.
IKD
Yale 18
Oakland Mills 14
"I am the NAQT beast I worship."
jonathanmarx
Wakka

Post by jonathanmarx »

This was fun, and ran pretty well (after getting off to a slooooow start). I really liked the set overall.

One thing: can you change my name in the stats from "Jonahtan" to "Jonathan" - that'd be great.

Thanks so much for running it!
Jonathan Marx
Richard Montgomery '13
Yale '17
mastaloo
Wakka

Post by mastaloo »

Thanks to all the teams for coming yesterday! I hope that everyone enjoyed the set, I think that it achieved our goal of being accessible enough while still being (on the whole) enjoyable for more experienced teams. I apologize for the length though, I don't think that one event in particular slowed us down but an accumulation of smaller holdups pushed us back. We'll try to fix these for our future events.

Special thanks also go out to John Gilbert, Rob Poirier, and Bill Tressler for volunteering their time to help. Special recognition goes to Bill, who both moderated and entered stats throughout the day. Thanks again!
Alex Gross
Delaware '14

Steeve Ho You Fat
Auron

Post by Steeve Ho You Fat »

I'm glad to hear that people generally enjoyed the set. Please remember that it is not yet clear for public discussion. If you have any comments on it, I encourage you them E-mail them to me or join the private discussion forum that's been set up on here.
Joe Nutter
PACE Emeritus
Michigan State University '14
Walnut Hills High School '11
eseifte1
Wakka

Post by eseifte1 »

I want to agree with others on how well written we found this set. We were impressed that the content was not too esoteric for our novice teams, but did provide a fair competition for our varsity teams. Thank you for hosting this tournament.

Eric Seifter
Coach Centennial High School
Eric Seifter Coach, Centennial High School It's Academic
btressler
Tidus

Post by btressler »

Plan Rubber wrote:I'm glad to hear that people generally enjoyed the set. Please remember that it is not yet clear for public discussion. If you have any comments on it, I encourage you them E-mail them to me or join the private discussion forum that's been set up on here.
I want to add to the public praise for this set. There were stated doubts that these teams could pull off writing such a tournament, but in the end they really did a quality job. I, unfortunately, didn't end up contributing as many questions as I would have liked. If there's another iteration I will get to the question-claiming document earlier.

I think one reason this ended up being a good set was the teams had a draft of this finished in August. This is an exception of tournament writing instead of the rule it should be, and I want to commend the teams for giving themselves plenty of editing time.
Bill Tressler,