MIT Fall Tournament (9/22/2012)

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
t-bar
Tidus

MIT Fall Tournament (9/22/2012)

Post by t-bar »

MIT is pleased to announce that it will be hosting the MIT Fall Tournament on Saturday, September 22, 2012.

Teams will be accepted on a first-come, first-serve basis, so please register as soon as possible. The current maximum number of teams is 24, though this may increase; we will announce such an expansion in this thread if one occurs. The registration deadline is September 15—after that, we can’t guarantee you a spot in the field. For our convenience and your benefit, we request that you register as soon as you can. We recognize, however, that this is early in the school year, and you may wish to wait until the school year starts to register; this is fine. The registration form and instructions are available at http://quizbowl.mit.edu/mitfall.

This tournament is open to teams from all geographic areas and levels of experience. The questions are from National Academic Quiz Tournaments (set IS-119A), and the top 15% of the field qualifies for NAQT’s 2013 High School National Championship Tournament. This question set is written to accommodate less experienced players, so this tournament will be ideal for teams new to quiz bowl or new members of established teams. You can download a sample packet here. The tournament will be held on the MIT campus, so this is a great opportunity to bring your students to visit the campuses of MIT, Harvard, and other universities as well as to experience the wonderful city of Boston.

We will be using an untimed NAQT high school format (see www.naqt.com/rules.html for details). Each team may have up to six players on its roster, though only four players may play at any given time. If you intend to bring seven or more players, please register another team. Every round will have twenty tossups with unrelated bonuses. We will not be using computational math questions. There will be a playoff format to be determined by the number of teams, but it will likely be some form of round-robin. All teams will be guaranteed to play at least 8 games, and all teams will be able to play in playoff rounds against teams of similar skill levels.

The fees for this tournament are as follows:

+$75 first team from a school
+$65 each subsequent team
−$10 per working buzzer system
−$10 per scorekeeper provided
+$10 to purchase a paper copy of the questions

If you have any questions regarding the tournament, you can visit http://quizbowl.mit.edu/mitfall, or e-mail me at [email protected]. Please keep in mind that Boston has an excellent and safe subway and commuter rail system that may help you minimize travel and accommodation cost. Shortly before the tournament, we will contact registered teams with more detailed information. We look forward to a large and competitive tournament and hope to see you on September 22, 2012.
Stephen Eltinge
Then: TJ, MIT, Yale, PACE, NAQT
Now: ACF
t-bar
Tidus

Re: MIT Fall Tournament (9/22/2012)

Post by t-bar »

Abby Kelley Foster (1 team; 1 buzzer)
Acton-Boxborough (1 team; 1 buzzer)
AMSA (2 teams; 2 buzzers)
Arlington (1 team)
Berkshire (1 team; 1 buzzer)
Brookline (2 teams; 2 buzzers)
Dexter (1 team)
E.O. Smith (1 team; 2 buzzers)
Framingham (2 teams)
Greens Farms (1 team; 1 buzzer)
Hingham (3 teams; 2 buzzers)
Lexington (1 team)
Milton HS (1 team)
Nathan Hale-Ray (1 team)
Norwell (1 team; 1 buzzer)
Portsmouth Christian (1 team; 1 buzzer)
Rockport (1 team)
Seton Hall Prep (1 team; 4 buzzers)
Sharon (1 team)
Shrewsbury (1 team)
Springfield Central (1 team)
Weston (1 team; 1 buzzer)

TOTAL: 27 teams; 19 buzzers
Last edited by t-bar on Thu Sep 20, 2012 3:27 pm, edited 31 times in total.
Stephen Eltinge
SHP Pirate
Rikku

Post by SHP Pirate »

Seton Hall Prep will be there with one team, one experienced moderator (if you should need), and up to four buzzers. Please let me know what you need. Formal registration to follow when I return to my office next week.

- MTZ
Michael T. Zinsmeister
Director of Admission
Seton Hall Preparatory School
West Orange, NJ
t-bar
Tidus

Post by t-bar »

Mr. Zinsmeister, we'd be glad to have all the buzzers we can get. Remind me about the moderator part when you register and I'll get back to you.
Stephen Eltinge
rpirrie
Wakka

Post by rpirrie »

E. O. Smith can commit to bringing at least 1 team, possibly 2, with 2 buzzer sets.
Bob Pirrie
Academic Quiz Bowl Coach
E. O. Smith High School
t-bar
Tidus

Post by t-bar »

Mr. Pirrie, can you send me an email with that information so I have a record of it in my inbox? Thanks.
Stephen Eltinge
t-bar
Tidus

Post by t-bar »

With 18 teams registered, we have just 6 spots left in our field! If you're planning to come, you should register sooner rather than later to guarantee that your team gets a spot.
Stephen Eltinge
SHP Pirate
Rikku

Post by SHP Pirate »

SHP registration just e-mailed. Count us in!
Michael T. Zinsmeister
Director of Admission
Seton Hall Preparatory School
West Orange, NJ
t-bar
Tidus

Post by t-bar »

Springfield Central just registered, bringing us to 24 teams. We will consider the possibility of expanding the field, but we will only do so if we're sure we have enough tournament staff to handle it. If you still wish to attend, e-mail me and I can place your team on a waiting list, to be added in the event that another team drops or we expand the field.
Stephen Eltinge
t-bar
Tidus

Post by t-bar »

I am pleased to announce that we have expanded the field to 28 teams. With three teams on the waitlist, we have 27 teams registered and one open spot. I am offering the last spot to the first team that wants to claim it for a discounted price of $30. You may not compound this discount with any other discounts (buzzer, scorekeeper, etc.). First-come, first-serve--let me know if you want the spot.
Stephen Eltinge
t-bar
Tidus

Post by t-bar »

Congratulations to Lexington High School for winning the MIT Fall Tournament. The rest of the top 6 were as follows:
2. Seton Hall Prep
3. Rockport
4. E.O. Smith
5. Sharon
6. Hingham A

This means that Lexington, SHP, Rockport, E.O. Smith, and Sharon qualify for HSNCT, while all of those teams and Hingham A qualify for NSC. Congratulations to them, and thanks to all teams for attending!

Stats will be posted later this evening.

EDIT: Stats: prelims, playoffs, and everything, including tiebreakers and final placement games. Please e-mail me with any stat corrections.

Second EDIT to correct list of nationals qualifiers.
Last edited by t-bar on Sun Sep 23, 2012 2:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Stephen Eltinge
rpirrie
Wakka

Post by rpirrie »

Thanks for a great tournament! It's great to have MIT back as a viable option in New England!
Bob Pirrie
Academic Quiz Bowl Coach
E. O. Smith High School
kcommo
Wakka

Post by kcommo »

Great to see so many Massachusetts schools involved in this, and doing quite well, too. Looks like a step forward for New England quiz bowl.
Kevin Commo
Coach, Burlington (Vt.) HS
Tournament Director, Vermont-NEA Scholars' Bowl
Director of Staffing and Statistics, International Academic Competitions
Golran
Auron

Post by Golran »

What state are each of the teams from?
Drayer the Slayer
currently unaffiliated
t-bar