Buzzer systems

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
NLiu
Lulu

Re: Buzzer systems

Post by NLiu »

Frankly, I believe that the plain old daisy-chain system, without large fancy lights, meshes of wires and countless adapters, each of which has a high likelihood of malfunctioning, is the best option. After all, we aren't a game show here--anything that adequately signals the first player to buzz in, and does so most simply and efficiently, should be in my opinion the best option for a quiz bowl team.
N. L.
St. Joseph High School
Tenure 2011-2012
dtaylor4
Auron

Post by dtaylor4 »

NLiu wrote:Frankly, I believe that the plain old daisy-chain system, without large fancy lights, meshes of wires and countless adapters, each of which has a high likelihood of malfunctioning, is the best option. After all, we aren't a game show here--anything that adequately signals the first player to buzz in, and does so most simply and efficiently, should be in my opinion the best option for a quiz bowl team.
Which system are you talking about?

Your criterion does not take into account the cost of a system itself, nor the cost of replacement parts. As long as teams and individuals are shelling out their own dollars for systems, cost must be taken into account.
Sen. Estes Kefauver (D-TN)
Chairman of Anti-Music Mafia Committee

Post by Sen. Estes Kefauver (D-TN) »

It sounds like he's talking about Anderson buzzers, which are cheap anyway.
Charlie Dees, North Kansas City HS '08
"I won't say more because I know some of you parse everything I say." - Jeremy Gibbs

"At one TJ tournament the neg prize was the Hampshire College ultimate frisbee team (nude) calender featuring one Evan Silberman. In retrospect that could have been a disaster." - Harry White