ATLAS @ Arcadia HS (9/29/12) [IS-118]

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
Jason Cheng
Rikku

ATLAS @ Arcadia HS (9/29/12) [IS-118]

Post by Jason Cheng »

Arcadia Quiz Bowl is pleased to announce:

Arcadia's Tournament for Lethally Academic Students(ATLAS)

LOCATION: Arcadia High School, 180 Campus Dr., Arcadia CA 91007.

The tournament itself will be in the portable buildings on the west end of the campus.

DATE: The tournament will be held on Saturday, September 29th. Check-in begins at 8:00 am, and first round should begin around 9 am. Schedules will be distributed at check-in.

FORMAT: The tournament will use NAQT IS-118. The tournament will adhere to Official NAQT Rules- with the exception that each round will be run as two untimed, 10-question halves- with a preliminary round robin followed by reseeding based on results from the round robin phase. Seedings in the individual sub-brackets will be determined by the overall win-loss record. Ties for reseedings will be resolved based on points per bonus, followed by points per game.

As stated in the NAQT HSNCT (High School National Championship Tournament) qualification rules, the top 15% of the field will qualify for the 2013 HSNCT held in Atlanta, Georgia.

ATLAS I is also a Platinum NSC-affiliated tournament, meaning the top 25% of the field will qualify for the 2013 NSC and will be allowed to register early.

ELIGIBILITY: All high school students are welcome to attend.

PRICING STRUCTURE:
Base fee = $80 for one team, $70 per team after the first

Discounts will be given as follows:
  • -$5 for each fully-functional buzzer system (must have at least four working buzzers on both sides)
  • -$10 for traveling distances over 100 miles, according to Google Maps
  • -$10 moderator discount (this is going to be tentative, depending on the field)
  • -$20 per team for schools that have not competed in a decent, mACF-style or NAQT tournament in the past 2 years.
Minimum fee = $60/team

Please make checks payable to: Arcadia High School Quiz Bowl. Please do not make a check out to any other person or entity. Checks, or cash will be due at the start of the tournament during registration. Should your team not be able to provide the payment at this time, and would like to send their registration fee in advance or later, please contact the Tournament Director at [email protected] to make the proper arrangements.

PRIZES: Prizes will be offered to the top teams, as well as to the top individual scorers.

REGISTRATION: The tournament director is Jason Cheng. The advisor of this tournament will be Mr. Christopher Schultz. If you are interested in attending or have any questions, send an email to [email protected] OR reply to this thread with the following information:

1) Your school's name
2) The number of teams you are bringing
3) The number of buzzer systems you will bring
4) Any moderators you have to offer
5) Price you are expecting to pay, after subtracting relevant discounts.

Our current field cap is more or less 28 teams; however, this number is subject to change as we receive more information on our available resources.

Updates about the tournament will primarily be through the hsquizbowl.org forums; in addition, they will be posted on the Southern California High School Quiz Bowl Google Group and Facebook Group.

PLACES TO EAT:
A light breakfast will be provided in the main room for teams.

There are several fast food restaurants located to the east of the high school, on Duarte Road. It's a 5 minute walk to Duarte-Santa Anita intersection, and a 10 minute walk to the Duarte-2nd Ave intersection.

In addition, for teams with cars (or with members who don't mind a longer walk- just try not to take too long), the Santa Anita Mall is located about 30 minutes (walking distance) away to the northeast, along Campus Drive. There is an In-N-Out about 30 minutes (walking distance) to the north, along Santa Anita Ave.

Thank you!
Jason Cheng
Arcadia Quiz Bowl 2012-2013
Last edited by Jason Cheng on Tue Sep 18, 2012 11:54 pm, edited 12 times in total.
Jason Cheng
Arcadia High School 2013
UCSD 2017
Jason Cheng
Rikku

Re: ATLAS @ Arcadia HS (9/29/12)

Post by Jason Cheng »

This post is reserved for field updates and the recap.

FIELD:
Teams:
Irvine (3 teams)
Canyon Crest (1 team)
Scripps (expressed interest)
Westview (2 teams)
Torrey Pines (2 teams)
Edison (2 teams)
North Hollywood: (3 teams)
Chadwick HS: (2 teams)
San Dieguito: (1 team)

Total: 16 teams

Buzzers:
Arcadia: 2
Irvine: 2
Edison: 1
CCA: 1
Chadwick: 1
Torrey Pines: 2
San Dieguito: 2
Westview: 2

Total: 13 buzzers
Last edited by Jason Cheng on Fri Sep 28, 2012 11:09 pm, edited 29 times in total.
Jason Cheng
Arcadia High School 2013
UCSD 2017
Jason Cheng
Rikku

Re: ATLAS @ Arcadia HS (9/29/12)

Post by Jason Cheng »

For anyone who felt that stats took way too long at our February tournament, we are making a number of administrative changes to our system of running future tournaments, and part of this helps to ensure that our statkeeper will be able to post the stats by the next day at the latest.
Jason Cheng
Arcadia High School 2013
UCSD 2017
Eddie
Rikku

Re: ATLAS @ Arcadia HS (9/29/12) [IS-118]

Post by Eddie »

Westview High will be sending three (3) teams.
Eddie
he/him/his/hine
UCSD, UCLA
cchiego
Yuna

Post by cchiego »

Any luck getting LA-area teams to show up? Made any phone calls? Called in some Science Bowl contacts? This may be the only quizbowl tournament I've ever seen with 0 teams from within 45 miles signed up.
Chris C.
Past: UGA/UCSD/Penn
Present: Solano County, CA
Jason Cheng
Rikku

Post by Jason Cheng »

Possibly a team from South Pasadena HS, and maybe some luck in getting Polytech HS to return to the circuit. At the moment the biggest obstacle in getting programs from within 45 miles of Arcadia to participate is that none exist :party:
Jason Cheng
Arcadia High School 2013
UCSD 2017
Eddie
Rikku

Post by Eddie »

What about NoHo and SaMo?
Eddie
he/him/his/hine
UCSD, UCLA
paulk224
Kimahri

Post by paulk224 »

SaMo who?
Paul Kim
Irvine High '13
bchiang
Lulu

Post by bchiang »

cchiego wrote:Any luck getting LA-area teams to show up? Made any phone calls? Called in some Science Bowl contacts? This may be the only quizbowl tournament I've ever seen with 0 teams from within 45 miles signed up.
Objection! Irvine High is 43 miles away from Arcadia.
Benjamin Chiang
Irvine 2013
cchiego
Yuna

Post by cchiego »

bchiang wrote:Objection! Irvine High is 43 miles away from Arcadia.
According to Google Maps, Irvine High is 46 miles away from Arcadia High.

But the larger point still stands--I know it's hard to contact these schools, but y'all have to if we want to get anything happening in the LA area. Has anyone tried Crescenta Valley? They almost sent a team to Triton Spring last year. Keep on calling schools, AcDec teams, principals, friends, etc. We need to break the stranglehold that the absurdly expensive and bureaucratized AcDec has on LA schools.
paulk224 wrote:SaMo who?
SaMo = Santa Monica, I'm pretty sure.
Chris C.
bchiang
Lulu

Post by bchiang »

If you take the 5 and 605, it says it's only a distance of 43.3 miles. Anyway, on a more important note, Irvine will try to focus on getting OC teams to participate.
Benjamin Chiang
Irvine 2013
Eddie
Rikku

Post by Eddie »

Unfortunately, Westview doesn't have any contacts with schools in Irvine or the L.A. area. Also, I'm a little worried that the prospect of a two-hour commute for a quizbowl tournament may turn away new San Diego schools, especially if they don't do well.
Eddie
he/him/his/hine
UCSD, UCLA
orenji
Lulu

Post by orenji »

If we are trying to get a new school into quizbowl. (at least from San Diego)
I feel like it would be a good idea to ask them to wait and go to Triton Novice first.
especially if they are new.

so basically. i agree with eddie.
Oliver Ren
Canyon Crest Academy 2010 - 2014
Torrey Pines 2013 - 2014
MIT 2014 - 2018
Jason Cheng
Rikku

Post by Jason Cheng »

If your school wishes to receive discounts for bringing buzzers, please inform me (through email or PM) of the number of fully-functional sets you will be bringing.
cchiego wrote:
But the larger point still stands--I know it's hard to contact these schools, but y'all have to if we want to get anything happening in the LA area. Has anyone tried Crescenta Valley? They almost sent a team to Triton Spring last year. Keep on calling schools, AcDec teams, principals, friends, etc. We need to break the stranglehold that the absurdly expensive and bureaucratized AcDec has on LA schools.
paulk224 wrote:SaMo who?
SaMo = Santa Monica, I'm pretty sure.
Pretty sure that was a joke about SaMo disappearing off the face of the earth for the past several months.

Also, the small (non-existent) amount of LA-area schools signing up for this tournament isn't due to lack of effort, I've had several schools in the region that I've contacted and communicated with express interest in attending, but not much else- that interest stops just short of wanting to put together a team and pay $60 to play some competition in a weird format they've never heard of before (I've had several people call the sample packets I've sent them "AcaDeca").
Jason Cheng
Arcadia High School 2013
UCSD 2017
cchiego
Yuna

Post by cchiego »

DJCocoPuffs wrote:I've had several schools in the region that I've contacted and communicated with express interest in attending, but not much else- that interest stops just short of wanting to put together a team and pay $60 to play some competition in a weird format they've never heard of before
Treat it as a loss leader and let 'em play once for free. That's basically what we did at UCSD for new teams and it got a good number of 'em hooked. I think Missouri is trying the same thing. It just helps lower that barrier and reduce the number of excuses.

Think of it this way- are you happy with 18-20 team fields or do you want 32-36 team fields? The only way to get there is to grow quizbowl and the only way to do that is to get teams to tournaments.
Chris C.
Corry
Rikku

Post by Corry »

cchiego wrote:
DJCocoPuffs wrote:I've had several schools in the region that I've contacted and communicated with express interest in attending, but not much else- that interest stops just short of wanting to put together a team and pay $60 to play some competition in a weird format they've never heard of before
Treat it as a loss leader and let 'em play once for free. That's basically what we did at UCSD for new teams and it got a good number of 'em hooked. I think Missouri is trying the same thing. It just helps lower that barrier and reduce the number of excuses.

Think of it this way- are you happy with 18-20 team fields or do you want 32-36 team fields? The only way to get there is to grow quizbowl and the only way to do that is to get teams to tournaments.
That's not a bad idea. We'll definitely consider it. The main problem is that we barely have enough mods for 20 teams, as of yet. Until we can find more people willing to mod at ATLAS, a 36-team field is pretty much out of the question.
Corry Wang
Arcadia High School 2013
Amherst College 2017
NAQT Writer and Subject Editor
shandotassadar
Kimahri

Post by shandotassadar »

I wouldn't mind helping out in moderating matches. I have been helping moderate these past two years in some tournaments that were hosted at UCLA and UCSD. I wish I could bring other people to assist.....but I am one of the last remnants of the UCLA quizbowl who is living in Los Angeles at the moment. There is no quizbowl at CSULA where I am residing at the moment.

At least I don't have to drive all the way to San Diego this time. I would drive home to Imperial Beach then drive up to UCSD.

I live in Alhambra, so the drive to Arcadia should be a breeze for me XD
Jeffrey Buenaflor
Southwest High School '06
UCLA '10 - Biochemistry
CSULA '13 - Organic Chemistry
Jason Cheng
Rikku

Post by Jason Cheng »

ATLAS I is now also a Platinum PACE-affiliated tournament, meaning the top 25% of the teams at this tournament will qualify for PACE National Scholastic Competition in June 2013, along with the top 15% qualifying for NAQT High School National Championship Tournament.
Jason Cheng
Arcadia High School 2013
UCSD 2017
Eddie
Rikku

Post by Eddie »

Congratulations on getting Chadwick to attend! It's nice to see more LA schools interested.

On another note, Westview would like to reduce our team count to two (2) teams. Although we were able to recruit a large team, the vast majority (16 out of 22) are novices and we don't want to disillusion these members with the experienced field and long commute. We will hopefully send our full team to Carnal Embrace, however.
Eddie
he/him/his/hine
UCSD, UCLA
orenji
Lulu

Post by orenji »

fixed now.
Oliver Ren
Torrey Pines 2013 - 2014
MIT 2014 - 2018
Eddie
Rikku

Post by Eddie »

orenji wrote:fixed now.
Huh?
Eddie
he/him/his/hine
UCSD, UCLA
orenji
Lulu

Post by orenji »

pk14ster wrote:
orenji wrote:fixed now.
Huh?
woops. i replied on the wrong thread.
i meant to put this on the IHOP II one.
Oliver Ren
Torrey Pines 2013 - 2014
MIT 2014 - 2018
Jason Cheng
Rikku

Post by Jason Cheng »

Just a reminder, the deadline for registration for teams is Friday at 9:00 PM. Please email us and finalize numbers ASAP!
Jason Cheng
Arcadia High School 2013
UCSD 2017
Eddie
Rikku

Post by Eddie »

Westview is also bringing two (2) buzzers.
Eddie
he/him/his/hine
UCSD, UCLA
Jason Cheng
Rikku

Post by Jason Cheng »

North Hollywood A (5-1 playoffs) defeated Torrey Pines A (6-0) in the last round of playoffs, forcing a final which Torrey Pines A clinched to win the tournament.

Top 4 standings:

1. Torrey Pines A (7-1)
2. North Hollywood A (6-2)
3. Canyon Crest A (5-2)
4. Irvine A (4-3)

As per NAQT qualification guidelines, the top 3 teams have qualified for HSNCT 2013. In addition, the top 4 qualify for PACE NSC with platinum qualification status.

Stats are here: http://www.hsquizbowl.org/db/tournaments/1059/

A copy of the stats have been sent to NAQT.

A special shout-out to Marcos Cabrera, Jeffrey Buenaflor, and several Arcadia Alumni (Alex Wang, Carl Tjo, Travis Tu, Kahao Lim, Chung Chan) for helping us fill out a great staffing team that ran ATLAS smoothly and for the most part finished on time.

Thank you to all of today's participants for a great tournament that will hopefully be first of many in SoCal this season!
Last edited by Jason Cheng on Sun Sep 30, 2012 2:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jason Cheng
Arcadia High School 2013
UCSD 2017
orenji
Lulu

Post by orenji »

Thank you for running such a smooth and well run tournament.
I really enjoyed it.
Oliver Ren
Torrey Pines 2013 - 2014
MIT 2014 - 2018
bchiang
Lulu

Post by bchiang »

Well run tournament. The same could not be said for the set though.
Benjamin Chiang
Irvine 2013