Non-DC Metro Virginia 2012-2013

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
Whiter Hydra
Auron

Non-DC Metro Virginia 2012-2013

Post by Whiter Hydra »

Figured we ought to get one of these going for Virginia.

Unfortunately Southwest Virginia will probably be weaker this year with the losses of Cave Spring's and Christiansburg's top players, though hopefully they'll be able to rebound. I know Cave Spring especially has been fairly consistent over the past few years. Maggie Walker's returning everyone that went to NSC, so they'll certainly be a powerhouse. I have no idea if anything's going on in the Hampton Roads area.
Harry White
TJHSST '09, Virginia Tech '13

Owner of Tournament Database Search and Quizbowl Schedule Generator
Will run stats for food
kamikaze
Rikku

Re: Non-DC Metro Virginia 2012-2013

Post by kamikaze »

My two cents: The River Ridge District is going to be a tough battle this year but I think they'll still produce some quality teams. Blacksburg had huge depth in their squad that they should be able to reload very well although losing Sam was tough. Christiansburg had a similar but not as deep roster. However with Matt and some of their key seniors gone, it's going to be tough. Anita, Christiansburg's coach, stated that she had a very promising rising senior and sophomore that could rise to the occasion. We lost Michael but James, our second best scorer who struggled to shine in Michael's shadow, is a rising junior. He will hopefully help lead our team very well throughout the season. Even Hidden Valley is a team that I think everyone in the district should keep an eye on because of Satchith. He didn't play on the team during the regular season except at VHSL Districts, where he shocked everyone (including Salem). IF he plays consistently throughout the season and commits himself fully to scholastic bowl, you're probably going to see another Michael/Matt in the district, which is bad news for everyone else.

Outside the RRD, I think along with Maggie Walker, New Kent is also going to be another team to look out for. They return Nathaniel and I think he got stronger throughout the season last year. Expect them back at VHSL States.
Bob Powers
Blacksburg High School
(2022 - ?) Tournament Director, Blacksburg HS
(2021 - 2022) Scholastic Bowl coach, Eastern Montgomery HS
(2005 - 2020) Scholastic Bowl coach, Cave Spring HS
NKBoughner
Lulu

Post by NKBoughner »

Christiansburg will undoubtedly be weaker, possibly not really a force at all, as I don't see anyone taking the spot of Matt. Blacksburg can never be counted out as they reload every year due to their deep team, but it will be a big step for them as they have to make up for the production of Sam that they're losing. James from Cave Spring definitely has the ability to turn into a top scorer and replace Michael, as I can see him quickly turning into a top scorer. In the Richmond area all that I see are New Kent and Maggie Walker, who each have 4 returning starters. Those four are the only real forces I see coming out of the non-DC metro Virginia area, but maybe someone will surprise me. Whether or not any of these teams can develop into the top-tier teams we saw last year from Cave Spring and Christiansburg remains to be seen.
Nathaniel Boughner
New Kent HS 2013
MahoningQuizBowler
Rikku

Post by MahoningQuizBowler »

NHBB will hold a tournament at Blacksburg HS on October 20; David will be directing that one himself.

Monticello will host the VA state tournament, but we are still working on a date.

An eastern Virginia tournament is being pursued as well; details will come later.
Greg Bossick
Director, Mahoning Quizbowl League (2004-2011, 2013-present)
Director, NAQT Ohio Small School State Championship (2018-present)
Executive Director, Ohio Academic Competition (2013-2016)
MahoningQuizBowler
Rikku

Post by MahoningQuizBowler »

As an update to the above, Eastern Virginia will take place at New Kent HS on February 2 while Virginia State will be at Monticello HS again on March 9.
Greg Bossick
Director, Mahoning Quizbowl League (2004-2011, 2013-present)
Director, NAQT Ohio Small School State Championship (2018-present)
Executive Director, Ohio Academic Competition (2013-2016)
Beevor Feevor
Rikku

Post by Beevor Feevor »

My team just played Cave Spring and New Kent at the Cavalier Classic and defeated them both handily, although that may have been due to good game placement, as Cave Spring had just gotten off a crushing loss to Dorman, who'd crushed everyone at that tournament. Cave Spring's not the same powerhouse that they were last year most definitely, as we got smashed by them at states easily. Christiansburg didn't show, so I can't speak for them, but New Kent seemed solid enough, even with going 0-5 in the top bracket (then again, we went 2-3, so...)
Eric Xu
Western Albemarle '15
Virginia '19
Harvard '23
Frater Taciturnus
Auron

Post by Frater Taciturnus »

Einhard wrote:My team just played Cave Spring and New Kent at the Cavalier Classic and defeated them both handily, although that may have been due to good game placement, as Cave Spring had just gotten off a crushing loss to Dorman, who'd crushed everyone at that tournament. Cave Spring's not the same powerhouse that they were last year most definitely, as we got smashed by them at states easily. Christiansburg didn't show, so I can't speak for them, but New Kent seemed solid enough, even with going 0-5 in the top bracket (then again, we went 2-3, so...)
New Kent took their A team and put one player on A, one player on B, and two on New Kent C. I wouldn't rush to conclusions about relative skill level based on yesterday.
Janet Berry
[email protected]
she/they
--------------
J. Sargeant Reynolds CC 2008, 2009, 2014
Virginia Commonwealth 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013,
Douglas Freeman 2005, 2006, 2007
Beevor Feevor
Rikku

Post by Beevor Feevor »

Frater Taciturnus wrote:
Einhard wrote:My team just played Cave Spring and New Kent at the Cavalier Classic and defeated them both handily, although that may have been due to good game placement, as Cave Spring had just gotten off a crushing loss to Dorman, who'd crushed everyone at that tournament. Cave Spring's not the same powerhouse that they were last year most definitely, as we got smashed by them at states easily. Christiansburg didn't show, so I can't speak for them, but New Kent seemed solid enough, even with going 0-5 in the top bracket (then again, we went 2-3, so...)
New Kent took their A team and put one player on A, one player on B, and two on New Kent C. I wouldn't rush to conclusions about relative skill level based on yesterday.
That's true, I did remember hearing something about that. It would explain the PP/TH on some of their lower teams. I guess for sandbagging or a more even distribution of playing time, although that did lead to them not qualifying for the HSNCT (which might not have been their goal anyway). Is there any place to find results from all of the districts and regions once VHSL play starts up?
Eric Xu
Western Albemarle '15
Virginia '19
Harvard '23
AKKOLADE
Sin

Post by AKKOLADE »

Hey southwestern (and southern and western and other) Virginia teams - can't make it out to Thomas Jefferson for their tournament on March 2nd? Haven't played HSAPQ Tournament 32 this year? Open to going somewhere about 3.5-5 hours from your place? Boy, do I have the tournament for you!
Fred Morlan
University of Kentucky CoP, 2017
International Quiz Bowl Tournaments, CEO, co-owner
former PACE member, president, etc.
former hsqbrank manager, former NAQT writer & subject editor, former hsqb Administrator/Chief Administrator
alextabor95
Lulu

Post by alextabor95 »

I didn't realize Roanoke was considered Southwest Virginia lol. As for Single-A, Honaker and George Mason will of course be favored. Anyone else with insight on the smaller schools, particularly in Deep SWVA's Region D?
Alex Tabor
Virginia High School (Bristol, VA) '13
East Tennessee State University (BS) '19
Western Governors University (MBA) '26
Former HSAPQ Freelance Writer
Southwest Virginia Academic Team Alliance Co-Founder, Chairman Emeritus
Appalachian American living in Houston
Beevor Feevor
Rikku

Post by Beevor Feevor »

I guess now it's about time to make predictions for VHSL states this year? Region II's tournament was today, with Western Albemarle and Charlottesville moving on to states. Anybody have news from the other regions?
Eric Xu
Western Albemarle '15
Virginia '19
Harvard '23
JordanKuhn
Lulu

Post by JordanKuhn »

Discussion of this year's states should probably form another thread in the DC Metro Comparisons and Discussions. Cave Spring and Christiansburg are moving on from the Southwest Virginia region, whose tournament today saw Cave Spring beat Christiansburg twice to take first place while Christiansburg (narrowly) defeated Hidden Valley to place second and clinch a spot at states.
Jordan Kuhn, Christiansburg High School (Christiansburg, VA), class of 2014.
Matt Weiner
Sin

Post by Matt Weiner »

Region C results haven't been posted yet, but everything else is up at the tournament page on Facebook. These are the qualifiers/pairings for the last-ever state tournament under the current system:
GROUP A PAIRINGS
George Mason vs. Lebanon
Nandua vs. C2
Honaker vs. Mathews
C1 vs. Manassas Park

GROUP AA PAIRINGS
Western Albemarle vs. Christiansburg
New Kent vs. Rockbridge County
Cave Spring vs. Grafton
E.C Glass vs. Charlottesville

GROUP AAA PAIRINGS
Princess Anne vs. Albemarle
Maggie Walker vs. Robinson
Stonewall Jackson-Manassas vs. Clover Hill
TJS&T vs. Warwick
Matt Weiner
Advisor to Quizbowl at Virginia Commonwealth University / Founder of hsquizbowl.org