Tennessee 12-13

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
cchiego
Yuna

Tennessee 12-13

Post by cchiego »

I am going to spend several weeks this summer visiting as many schools as possible in the Mid-South area and trying to get them plugged into the nationwide quizbowl circuit. Curiously, the Memphis area doesn't lack for tournaments or teams; indeed, I count as many as 20 schools fairly active in the area and as many as 40 total having attended a tournament in the past year. The problem is these tournaments do not appear to use pyramidal questions and it's not clear how many of the teams are even aware of pyramidal questions or the existence of quizbowl on a national scale. I have been fortunate enough to get in contact with a few enthusiastic coaches and have started to set up meetings with them, but there's still a lot of work to be done.

What about the rest of the state? Why has the ostensible state championship tournament gotten so few teams every year? It's good to see that the Nashville area still has a decent circuit going with regulars like University, Ezell-Harding, Hume-Fogg, and MLK plus the Knoxville area has Farragut and Oak Ridge. I noticed a few of the big Chattanooga schools were coming to more tournaments this year. Charlie, how're things going down there? What about the Tri-Cities area with Dobyns-Bennett?

More generally, where are all the TN people on this board? Come out of the woodwork and let me know what tournaments are planned for next year and what's the status of qb in the Volunteer state overall.
Chris C.
Past: UGA/UCSD/Penn
Present: Solano County, CA
Rococo A Go Go
Auron

Re: Tennessee 12-13

Post by Rococo A Go Go »

As far as middle Tennessee goes, the circuit is fairly active and it feels like it's expanding to some extent. Ezell Harding is hosting in September. but other than that I'm not sure what other dates are set yet. Gallatin has become fairly active at the middle school and high school levels, and they're hosting some form of tournament on December 8th. Vanderbilt, Webb School, and others all hosted last year, and in the past I'm pretty sure there's been tournaments at places like Portland and Columbia Central. The Nashville private schools (Ezell-Harding, University School, Montgomery Bell, Brentwood, Franklin Road, and various Christian schools) seem to be participating more and more recently, although public, non-magnet schools aren't quite as active yet.

We usually draw teams to WKU tournaments too, and we'll be inviting Tennessee teams to our events on October 27th (JV/Middle) and November 17th (High School). In the past two years we've had teams from Brentwood, Ezell-Harding, Station Camp, Gallatin, University School, Franklin Road, White House Heritage, and Columbia Central at our events. I've also heard from/invited a bunch of other schools, and I could probably get together contacts for 20-30 schools in the Middle Tennessee area if someone else is interested in doing outreach. I'm sure the Tennessee Academic Coaches Association would be happy to help as well.
Nicholas C
KQBA member
tnormfrank
Lulu

Post by tnormfrank »

We used to have several teams in the Memphis-area come over to middle Tennessee and compete, but none lately. With tournaments at Riverdale and Cookeville ending, even middle Tennessee has seen a decrease in activity. There are almost no tournaments in east TN aside from Charlie's tournaments in Chattanooga. I'd love to hear from some of the coaches in west TN.
Tracy Franklin
Coach
Columbia Central HS
Tennessee Academic Coaches Association
Chimalpahin Quauhtlehuanitzin
Wakka

Post by Chimalpahin Quauhtlehuanitzin »

In terms of existing teams, we are losing Mark Arildsen of University School glory, with a ppg of 91.28 at the 2011 HSNCT (USN did not even attend HSNCT 2012).
James Senter of Oak Ridge is also graduating, with a ppg of 57.1 at the 2012 HSNCT. Farragut and Webb School are losing multiple seniors, but Farragut gains their JV player Lam Tran (117.1 ppg on an MS set) and retains Lawrence Wang (43.94 ppg at HSNCT). MLK loses Joseph Laposata (27.5 ppg at Dennis Haskins).
Ezell-Harding retains Griffin Ray (55.9 ppg at HSNCT) and their other key players.
Therefore, I believe that Middle- and East TN are in decent shape and that at least Middle TN will continue to hold a regular circuit.
Rohan Nag
Vanderbilt '17 | MLK '13
cchiego
Yuna

Post by cchiego »

Considering far-east TN is closer to Canada than to Memphis, there are a number of logistical difficulties with getting a state circuit set up in TN. But there seem to still be a decent number of tournaments scheduled on good questions next year. From what I see on the NAQT website, it looks like:

Sept. 15th: Ezell-Harding
Oct. 6th: UTC (??)
Nov. 3rd: ABC @ Vandy
Nov. 10th: Webb School
Jan. 12th: Portland
Feb. 2nd: Lincoln County

Plus there are probably tournaments in Southern Kentucky and Northern Alabama that would likely be of interest to TN teams. This should be plenty to start a tentative schedule for next year and try to reach out to as many coaches across the state as possible. Anyone from Oak Ridge, Farragut, (or heck even Dobyns-Bennett) etc. around to help get more started in the East TN area?

I do know that there are also at least four tournaments annually in the Memphis area. I'm meeting with several of the Memphis coaches who normally host tournaments and will see if they will switch to good QB questions this year and post announcements online/get in touch with other coaches to advertise.
Chris C.
Important Bird Area
Forums Staff: Administrator

Post by Important Bird Area »

ngr17 wrote:In terms of existing teams, we are losing Mark Arildsen of University School glory, with a ppg of 91.28 at the 2011 HSNCT (USN did not even attend HSNCT 2012).
They have graduation HSNCT weekend (which poses no problems during the junior year of a 91.28 ppg player).
Jeff Hoppes
President, Northern California Quiz Bowl Alliance
former HSQB Chief Admin (2012-13)
VP for Communication and history subject editor, NAQT
Editor emeritus, ACF

"I wish to make some kind of joke about Jeff's love of birds, but I always fear he'll turn them on me Hitchcock-style." -Fred
MahoningQuizBowler
Rikku

Post by MahoningQuizBowler »

I'm working towards finalizing our NHBB Tennessee tournament site and date; Donelson Christian Academy will not be the host this year.
Greg Bossick
Director, Mahoning Quizbowl League (2004-2011, 2013-present)
Director, NAQT Ohio Small School State Championship (2018-present)
Executive Director, Ohio Academic Competition (2013-2016)
MahoningQuizBowler
Rikku

Post by MahoningQuizBowler »

Update -- I received an email from a teacher at Pope John Paul II High School a little over a week ago expressing interest in the Tennessee tournament. As we had not secured a host yet, I asked if he might be interested in hosting. That was 8 days ago; I've sent a follow-up email and will call next week if that doesn't produce a response.
Greg Bossick
Director, Mahoning Quizbowl League (2004-2011, 2013-present)
Director, NAQT Ohio Small School State Championship (2018-present)
Executive Director, Ohio Academic Competition (2013-2016)
cchiego
Yuna

Post by cchiego »

In case people from TN are still around this board, a few updates:

Vandy has cancelled their Nov. 3rd HS tournament and replaced it with ACF Fall.
Harding U in Arkansas is hosting a HS tournament on Nov. 10th. (Sawney Webb makes more sense for teams East of the TN River)
White Station High in Memphis is hosting a HS tournament (IS-117A) on Dec. 1st (attend and support my alma mater and good QB in Memphis!)
Bolton (just north of Memphis) is hosting a HS tournament on NAQT questions sometime in January (also attend and support good QB in Memphis!)

Unfortunately, there are still a number of tournaments in West TN using AAAAUUUUK including Memphis University School and St. George's. At least Nashville's TV tournament switched to NAQT questions; let's hope that can expand to the other areas too.
Chris C.
tnormfrank
Lulu

Post by tnormfrank »

We filmed our match for the Nashville tv tournament yesterday. The NAQT questions are definitely an upgrade over what they have been using the past four years- only two of the forty toss-ups went unanswered.
Tracy Franklin
Coach
Columbia Central HS
AKKOLADE
Sin

Post by AKKOLADE »

Hey, there's a tournament on March 2nd at the University of Kentucky (click here for details). We're using the same questions as UTC in November, but if you can't make it there, please consider coming to our tournament!
Fred Morlan
University of Kentucky CoP, 2017
International Quiz Bowl Tournaments, CEO, co-owner
former PACE member, president, etc.
former hsqbrank manager, former NAQT writer & subject editor, former hsqb Administrator/Chief Administrator
Wakka

Anyone know if Christian Academy of Knoxville is still planning to host their "Warriors' Scholars Bowl" tournament and, if so, if they're using NAQT?
Rohan Nag
Vanderbilt '17 | MLK '13
Important Bird Area
Forums Staff: Administrator

Post by Important Bird Area »

ngr17 wrote:Anyone know if Christian Academy of Knoxville is still planning to host their "Warriors' Scholars Bowl" tournament and, if so, if they're using NAQT?
We have not heard from Knoxville Christian about their hosting plans for 2012-13 (if any).
Jeff Hoppes
President, Northern California Quiz Bowl Alliance
former HSQB Chief Admin (2012-13)
VP for Communication and history subject editor, NAQT
Editor emeritus, ACF

"I wish to make some kind of joke about Jeff's love of birds, but I always fear he'll turn them on me Hitchcock-style." -Fred
gedge
Kimahri

Post by gedge »

I am looking for a middle school competition in the Memphis area? I would appreciate any suggestions?

User was reminded to enable a signature. - Management
Wakka

I don't think there are any that I know of. If you would like to host one or go out of state, feel free.
Rohan Nag
Vanderbilt '17 | MLK '13
fett0001
Tidus

Post by fett0001 »

I figure I should mention that if anyone in east TN wants to come out, Virginia Tech is mirroring SCOP Novice on January 19 and Prison Bowl on April 13.
Mike Hundley
PACE Member
Virginia Tech
Wakka

Just a thanks to Kevin Barnett and Greg for the well-run History Bowl tournament and Charlie for the UTC tournament.

Are there any UTK/ UMemphis players in existence? Should I prod them to form a team/s so that they can eventually host?

UTC and Vandy have been holding their regulars as usual, but the scarcity of good/more difficult tournaments is getting to me.
Also, Charlie has started using HSAPQ sets in his tournaments, which is not a problem, but their distributions are different from NAQT's.

Finally, what happened to TACA? I know that the Oak Ridge and Farragut coaches were never actually members of the organization, so they cannot go to state this year! :sad:
If we actually had every tournament in Tennessee register under TACA or pass some check, we could avoid using :chip: or AUK questions which really don't help quizbowl at all.

Final complaint: since TACA happens to choose an "All-Star" group every year, why don't we actually send them to NASAT where they can compete? I understand funding is difficult, but fundraising isn't that hard.
Rohan Nag
Vanderbilt '17 | MLK '13
cchiego
Yuna

Post by cchiego »

There used to be tournaments at UMemphis sponsored by the Engineering Dept. (they had awesome massive wooden trophies, which were pretty cool, plus an annual spontaneous piano play-off competition during the lunch break), but I believe the person who organized those went off to MUS or Lausanne where they were sucked into the permanent AUKdom of Knowledge Bowl (Why MUS, with FIVE COACHES on its roster, an ample budget, and good teams year-in-year-out, doesn't travel more is beyond me).

If Ole Miss could revive their collegiate team (and stop hosting UMAIT and Brain Brawl on horrible questions using only double-elimination!), that would really help establish a nice Harding/Memphis/Ole Miss axis for a collegiate circuit in the Mid South and perhaps bring AL/MS/West TN teams together. Rhodes College would also be a natural host and used to have a decent college team. I'm curious what happened to the Miss State team; they used to be quite active and then just kind of disappeared. Paul? Harry? Any of y'all still around? UTK seems to have some semblance of a team every few years, but it's usually just to run college tournaments and occasionally play in them.

I know the head of TACA posts here so I'll wait for him to post with an update on the current situation, but in general it seems that TACA needs to become much looser than what they have now. It doesn't make sense to exclude teams from a state tournament whose coaches aren't members of an organization that's not very active anymore (though I used to constantly refresh the Geocities page waiting for updates back in the early 2000s). It would be much better to switch to an all-comers kind of NAQT tournament like most other NAQT State Champs (that way TACA could also use the state champs as fundraiser to hopefully pay for a NASAT team or more outreach?).

The West TN circuit has historically had much more common in Arkansas and Mississippi than the rest of TN too. From the records I've gathered, the only West TN teams who historically traveled to the rest of the state were Munford (now back deep in the AUK-idental), Cordova, Bartlett, and my only QB experience in HS, which only scratches the surface of what the Memphis area could produce even back then. This year Collierville, MUS, White Station, Houston, and Lausanne all appeared to have good teams, but only White Station traveled much (though Collierville won an Ole Miss tournament, I think).

There are a few encouraging notes. Bolton traveled to WUHSAC with 3 teams and appeared to have a blast, plus they hosted a big tournament on NAQT questions this year. St. Benedict has become the first Memphis-area team since 2006 to sign up for a national championship tournament (I hope they're prepared for the rigors of HSNCT though). FACS ventured out to the History Bowl competition. Ezell traveled to White Station's tournament and put on a clinic for the West TN teams (you think someone would've asked them "hey how did you beat us 500-10?" and then started studying/preparing/attending more tournaments).

Can some of the high schools do more to host? Between MLK, Hume-Fogg, Farragut, and Oak Ridge, there's plenty of good-QB talent and hopefully know-how to host tournaments. There might need to be a student-led initiative to start up the outreach machine too in a kind of loose quizbowl alliance that takes into account TN's unique divisions, perhaps organized along the three grand divisions of TN.
Chris C.
Rococo A Go Go
Auron

Post by Rococo A Go Go »

There also happens to be a school about an hour north of Nashville that hosts good tournaments every year. Can't think of their name, but rest assured that you don't need a passport to cross the state line and play there.
Nicholas C
KQBA member
Wakka

I think that's Portland, yeah they host annually on NAQT (although they don't allow teams with less than 3/4 players wut?). If any players from Chris's post would like to revive those tournaments/anyone would like to ask (or would like me to ask/email), feel free to do so or come out of hiding.
Rohan Nag
Vanderbilt '17 | MLK '13
Rococo A Go Go
Auron

Post by Rococo A Go Go »

ngr17 wrote:I think that's Portland, yeah they host annually on NAQT (although they don't allow teams with less than 3/4 players wut?). If any players from Chris's post would like to revive those tournaments/anyone would like to ask (or would like me to ask/email), feel free to do so or come out of hiding.
I was being vague for the purposes of humor, but I was talking about WKU. Portland does host, and Glasgow (which is also in southern Kentucky) has started hosting too.
Nicholas C
KQBA member
Matt Weiner
Sin

Post by Matt Weiner »

Yeah, I think that players on the ground can be the change they want to see in Tennessee--talk to your peers at other schools, talk to coaches, try to get some tournaments going either this year or next. People from outside will do whatever they can but this seems like the most effective route, and in my experience there isn't any entrenched culture of unreasonable people in your area that would try to prevent you from getting some good tournaments moving.
Matt Weiner
Advisor to Quizbowl at Virginia Commonwealth University / Founder of hsquizbowl.org
tnormfrank
Lulu

Post by tnormfrank »

We have had a lot of turnover in the coaching ranks the past couple of years so it has been really hard to keep up with the changes in our Tennessee schools. The state tournament sponsored by TACA was begun in the mid-1990s and has been affiliated with NAQT for many years now. The rules for joining the organization and participating in the state tournament were decided by the membership at that time (an annual $10 fee renewed by November of each school year to join and participation in four tournaments and a finish in the top 25% to compete at state). The dues and state registration fees are used to pay for trophies and plaques for our top finishers at state and the all-state team as well as providing some funds to the winning team to compete at a national tournament. Many of the in-state tournaments use NAQT questions which I feel is a good thing. We are always open to new members and publicize that fact at the Ezell and Webb tournaments at the beginning of the season. If any schools would like more information, they can contact me at [email protected]

Tracy Franklin
Columbia Central HS
Tracy Franklin
Coach
Columbia Central HS
Matt Weiner
Sin

Post by Matt Weiner »

That does seem quite reasonable. Is there anything we at the forums can do to help you get the word out to more schools/teams in Tennessee about your tournaments? We can at least have a thread for you to point people to each year for Tennessee-specific discussion as we do for some other states.
Matt Weiner
Advisor to Quizbowl at Virginia Commonwealth University / Founder of hsquizbowl.org
tnormfrank
Lulu

Post by tnormfrank »

Thanks, Matt. Many of our coaches post threads for their individual tournaments already, but a Tennessee specific thread is a very good idea. I'll definitely make a point of posting more on this board in the future myself about tournaments and TACA activities.

Tracy Franklin
Columbia Central HS
Tracy Franklin
Coach
Columbia Central HS
Citizen Snips
Lulu

Post by Citizen Snips »

Is there a definite field for State yet?
Jesse Bennett
University School of Nashville (TN) '14
Vanderbilt University '19
Wakka

So far as I know, USN, MLK, HFA, Ezell-Harding, and likely Lincoln County and McCallie will be there. I know nothing of other teams. (someone correct this please)
Rohan Nag
Vanderbilt '17 | MLK '13
AKKOLADE
Sin

Post by AKKOLADE »

We at UK got a few Tennessee teams to show up, some of whom I haven't seen mentioned with TACA before: I know Oak Ridge is involved, but I don't think Bearden or Goodpasture Christian is. They might be worth contacting, Tracy; if you need their info, let me know.
Fred Morlan
University of Kentucky CoP, 2017
International Quiz Bowl Tournaments, CEO, co-owner
former PACE member, president, etc.
former hsqbrank manager, former NAQT writer & subject editor, former hsqb Administrator/Chief Administrator
tnormfrank
Lulu

Post by tnormfrank »

State field: Ezell, HFA, MLK, BGA, USN, McCallie, Cookeville, Gallatin, Columbia, Lincoln County, Webb
Tracy Franklin
Coach
Columbia Central HS
cchiego
Yuna

Post by cchiego »

Today, Houston High School (next to Memphis) ran a tournament on some kind of bad question set. This, of course, is exact same day that the TACA State Championship was taking place at TN Tech. This is a massive coordination failure, especially since several good, competitive teams weren't at the state tournament because they were at this tournament.

Part of the problem is the Memphis coaches aren't responding to emails and part of the problem seems to be that TACA isn't reaching out to these coaches. If people want to have a legitimate TN state championship, you're going to have to get the attention of these people from the Memphis area somehow.
Chris C.
atperryman
Kimahri

Post by atperryman »

A little late to the thread; I agree that TACA should expand their state championship tournament to include more competition in order to find a "true" champion. Congrats to Ezell-Harding for their 1st place finish and all other teams for their efforts.
-Austin Perryman, Lincoln County '13
Active quizbowler from '09-'13
tnormfrank
Lulu

Post by tnormfrank »

TACA State Tournament

Rank School Wins Losses Total Pts.
1 Ezell-Harding 10 0 4818
2 USN 9 1 3630
3 Hume-Fogg 8 2 4103
4 MLK 7 3 3454
5 McCallie 5 5 3245
6 BGA 5 5 2860
7 Gallatin 4 6 2640
8 Webb 2 8 2607
9 Cookeville 2 8 2354
10 Columbia 2 8 2167
11 Lincoln County 1 9 2178
Tracy Franklin
Coach
Columbia Central HS
mithokie
Rikku

Post by mithokie »

Just out of curiosity, how do you get total points to not be multiples of 5. Is there a difference in format from traditional 20/20 quizbowl used at the TACA championship?
Matt Beeken
Eastern Montgomery High School
Math Instructional Coach
Scholastic Bowl Coach (2022 - ??)
mbeeken AT mcps DOT org
tnormfrank
Lulu

Post by tnormfrank »

At the state tournament, we use average points scored for the bye round.
Tracy Franklin
Coach
Columbia Central HS
tabstop
Wakka

Post by tabstop »

Perhaps I'm missing something, but if everybody has a bye round, why add points? (Naturally you're going to get the same results either way, so it's not as though it's wrong; it just seems like extra work.)
Andrew Feist
cchiego
Yuna

Post by cchiego »

There was another quizbowl(ish?) tournament yesterday at UT-Martin that attracted 25 teams from elementary (!) through high school. I had never heard of any other NW Tennessee quiz bowl competition before, but they mentioned that they were using NAQT rules though apparently not NAQT questions. That's pretty substantial numbers-wise and yet another possible pool of teams to recruit.

It would be cool if there was a clear lineup of all the tournaments in TN in the future so that new schools could be directed to such a schedule and make their plans accordingly. Perhaps someone can contact the usual suspects of tournament hosts and try to get such a schedule up over the summer?
Chris C.
tnormfrank
Lulu

Post by tnormfrank »

I will be sending out an e-mail to the 50 or so schools that are on my Tennessee e-mail list in the next few weeks to determine dates of tournaments for next school year. Any schools who are not currently receiving TACA e-mails can let me know and I'll be glad to add them to the list. As I receive word of tournaments, I'll also post them here.
Tracy Franklin
Coach
Columbia Central HS
msriz1183
Kimahri

Post by msriz1183 »

I am interested in getting a tournament schedule for the 13-14 school year. I teach at Chester Co. HS in southwest TN, and I am trying to find out which schools in our area have quiz bowl/academic teams. We may be interested in starting one here. Thanks! My email address is [email protected].
Molly Risley
Chester County High School
Citizen Snips
Lulu

Post by Citizen Snips »

Can anyone shed light on why Ezell didn't show up at NHBB? Also, how does everyone think that the various Tennessee teams wIll do at nationals?
Jesse Bennett
Wakka

According to Griffin himself, they were so disillusioned by the logistics ( I must admit it was bad last year) that they along with their coach decided not to come.

My predictions:

Ezell- somewhere top 30, likely 9-5 or something, I don't know how the 36t or whatever tied rankings will work in a field of 256.
Farragut- somewhere top 50 since they protobowl really hard and have nothing else to do.
HFA- somewhere top 50, likely 8-5 or 7-5.
USN- Depends on how much your teammates study, Jesse!
MLK- I'll put us at 72t or 6-5.
Rohan Nag
Vanderbilt '17 | MLK '13
tnormfrank
Lulu

Post by tnormfrank »

We have a new Tennessee Academic Coaches Association web site. The address is

http://tnacademic.webs.com
Tracy Franklin
Coach
Columbia Central HS
asdfryan123
Kimahri

Post by asdfryan123 »

Hi, I'm Ryan and I'll be at the HSNCT as a volunteer blogger/liveblogger. I've been following the results of quizbowl tournaments in Tennessee via this website and through friends at Oak Ridge, so I feel like I have enough knowledge to make predictions about the teams attending the HSNCT.

I think this is going to be one of the most successful years for Tennessee teams in recent history, with 6 teams having a good chance to advance to the playoffs. I'll go over each of these teams one by one:

1. Ezell-Harding: I think most people would agree that they are best team in Tennessee, with dominating performances at the TACA State tournament, White Station, and the Hoover tournament. What's even more scary is that (I think) their team is composed of juniors and sophomores, so next year I believe they'll have a chance to be a national contender. This year's predictions: 7-3 in round robin, 2-2 in playoffs.
2. Farragut: After Ezell-Harding, Farragut is the team with the most consistent results, and they actually beat Ezell-Harding at Vanderbilt ABC 42 in the playoffs to claim the championship. Predictions: 6-4 in round robin, 1-1 in playoffs.
3. Oak Ridge: The only tournament Oak Ridge where they were able to play with their full-strength team was the UTC spring tournament, where they won by beating Farragut twice in an advantaged-final. Will Mason managed to score 90 ppg in his first tournament ever, which is made even more impressive by the fact that two of his teammates were scoring 30+ ppg alongside him. As far as I know, their entire team is going to attend the HSNCT. Predictions: 6-4 in round robin, 1-1 in playoffs.
4. USN: Winners of the Portland winter tournament and runner-up to Ezell-Harding at the TACA state tournament, USN has had slightly better results than Hume-Fogg and MLK, although in any given day any of these teams can beat each other. Predictions: 6-4 in round robin, 0-1 in playoffs.
5. Hume-Fogg: They had decent performances at Hoover, TACA state, and Portland, finishing in 2nd or 3rd in each tournament. Hume-Fogg is also an experienced team, having made playoffs last year in the HSNCT. Prediction: 6-4/5-5 in round robin.
6. MLK: They got 2nd place at Vanderbilt ABC 42 (ahead of Ezell-Harding and USN) and 3rd place at the UTC spring tournament. Much like Hume-Fogg, I think they will be a fringe playoff team. Prediction: 6-4/5-5 in round robin.

I hope you guys all do well!
Ryan Liu
Oak Ridge High School '10
MIT '14
Citizen Khan
Kimahri

Post by Citizen Khan »

So, how did the predictions turn out?

Ezell: 7-3/1-2 for 8-5 (Worse than Predicted)
Farragut: 6-4/1-1 for 7-5 (Predicted)
Oak Ridge: 7-3/1-2 for 8-5 (Better than Predicted)
USN: 6-4/1-1 for 7-5 (Better than Predicted)
Hume-Fogg: 6-4/0-1 for 6-5 (Better than Predicted)
MLK: Did not attend (...I'd say worse, no?)

User was reminded to enable a signature. --the mgmt
Last edited by Citizen Khan on Thu May 30, 2013 3:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Case Nieboer
USN Class of 2014
UChicago Class of 2019
History Bowl Captain
asdf_ryan
Lulu

Post by asdf_ryan »

So most of the Tennessee teams exceeded my predictions, which is fantastic! I'd like to say that all my predictions were 1 game away from being correct, though (except MLK. It's a pity they couldn't compete - they would've had a good chance for a playoff spot as well).

I know that Griffin Ray from Ezell-Harding, most of the Oak Ridge team, and Jesse/Case from USN are all juniors, so the future looks bright for Tennessee as well.
Last edited by asdf_ryan on Mon May 27, 2013 4:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ryan Liu
Oak Ridge High School 2010
cchiego
Yuna

Post by cchiego »

So this was a pretty good showing by the TN teams, easily one of the best in years since the golden age of TN quizbowl back around the turn of the millennium. Also note that McCallie went a respectable 5-5 (0-4 start, then 5 wins in a row) and that St. Benedict at 4-6 was the first Memphis team at HSNCT since 2006, so give props to them for their performance and I hope that they enjoyed the experience. Perhaps next year some of the traditional Memphis powerhouses will finally attend.

I'm hoping that Vanderbilt gets revived by the arrival of a number of talented new players next year and focuses on rebuilding ABC into a nationals-caliber tournament and conducts outreach to neglected parts of the state.
Chris C.
Citizen Snips
Lulu

Post by Citizen Snips »

I know that Griffiin Ray from Ezell-Harding, most of the Oak Ridge team, and Jesse/Case from USN are all juniors, so the future looks bright for Tennessee as well.
… Only one problem, graduation at USN coincides with HSNCT weekend. So ,unless NAQT moves the tournament from what is likely the most convenient weekend for the most teams, we will have to be content with going to NSC.
Edit: Sorry, I'm still new to this and I don't know how to properly quote someone.

Fixed. (No "/" in the first quote tag.) --Mgmt.
Jesse Bennett
Victor_Gardner
Lulu

Post by Victor_Gardner »

gedge wrote:I am looking for a middle school competition in the Memphis area? I would appreciate any suggestions?
Hey, I was thinking of hosting a middle school tournament this year in memphis, although I am wondering if there are enough middle school teams in the area to make it worthwhile.
Victor Gardner
White Station High School Tournament Director
Memphis, TN
cchiego
Yuna

Post by cchiego »

Victor_Gardner wrote:Hey, I was thinking of hosting a middle school tournament this year in memphis, although I am wondering if there are enough middle school teams in the area to make it worthwhile.
Welcome to the boards! Good to see another Spartan posting here.

There is a team for sure at Schilling Farms Middle and it seems ECS has expressed interest in starting a team. But it's not too hard to rustle up more teams, though you'll have to put a bit of effort into outreach to help get them started.

Contact the high school Kbowl coaches (via email and ideally snail mail) and ask those coaches if they would be interested in helping to start a team at their feeder middle schools or if they know of any contacts at those middle schools who might be willing to organize a team for the tournament. Work any contacts that you might have at middle schools from your former teachers, friends of sponsors, etc.. Teachers know each other and using social networks is a great way to help spread the word. You can also try contacting (ideally via phone calls) the principals of middle schools, but that tends to be more difficult to get results from (though it's a good option to try too).

You'll need a lot of lead time on this to let the new schools get organized, so make sure you schedule the tournament several months after you start the outreach. An added bonus of a middle school tournament is that you can get students from WSMS involved and start a talent pipeline. If you're interested in fundraising though, you should probably also host another HS-level tournament too since that has a pretty sizable audience already as well.

Let me know via email or PM if you've got any more questions. Hope to see another WSHS tournament go down successfully (and, unlike the vast majority of TN tournaments, report full stats!).
Chris C.
Citizen Snips
Lulu

Post by Citizen Snips »

Why don't most tournaments in TN report stats?
Jesse Bennett
Wakka

Victor/Chris, the following MS teams played at UT Martin's "Academic Quiz Bowl", but I have no contacts for them:
Sharon Middle
Three Oaks Middle
Martin Middle
Hillcrest Middle
Rohan Nag
Vanderbilt '17 | MLK '13