2012 HSNCT discussion

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
Mechanical Beasts
Banned Cheater

Re: 2012 HSNCT discussion

Post by Mechanical Beasts »

Horned Screamer wrote:Well, it should have been accepted on the answer line in the first place. I would go so far as to say the Little Albert is THE name of the experiment in all common usage. I've never once seen Baby Albert used to refer to it, and googling baby Albert basically yields the same result (there are a couple non-legit sites that refer to him that way but also call him Little Albert, and I think some of them are just using "baby" as a descriptor). The answer should be Little Albert.
Yeah, that was definitely flubbed and I'm very glad that it didn't accept any game outcomes.
Andrew Watkins
Sniper, No Sniping!
Tidus

Post by Sniper, No Sniping! »

I'm sure its beating a dead horse; but having "5" being considered the extreme for bad and "1" considered the extreme for good for the evaluation cards was probably a bad idea.
Thomas Moore
Lancaster Fisher Catholic HS c/o 2014
Ohio Wesleyan University c/o 2018
btressler
Tidus

Post by btressler »

Paula Pareto Optimality wrote:I'm sure its beating a dead horse; but having "5" being considered the extreme for bad and "1" considered the extreme for good for the evaluation cards was probably a bad idea.
Those of us in HQs figured that out early in the morning -- I told moderators to point this out to teams. I suspect this will be addressed in the next iteration.

I had some concerns due to rounds consisting of much less than 20 tossups, especially in the morning, but other than that I wasn't detecting mass disappointment with moderators with respect to the cards that I saw.
Bill Tressler,
Dickinson ('97) Carnegie Mellon ('99) Delaware ('06)
Seen moderating at various SE Pennsylvania events.
Down and out in Quintana Roo
Auron

Post by Down and out in Quintana Roo »

Looking through the "round reports," there are many many rounds that have just 16, 17, or 18 (i even see just 15! from a moderator who i thought was better than that!) tossups in a round read. It doesn't matter how good or bad the teams are, numbers like that are not okay. Either NAQT should go to 10-minute halves to ensure the mods can read more tossups (anything under 20 is honestly bad, moderators that can't hit 20 tossups are not good enough), or just finally say that 20 tossups will be the round, like just about every single other tournament out there.
Mr. Andrew Chrzanowski
Caesar Rodney High School
Camden, Delaware
CRHS '97-'01
University of Delaware '01-'05
CRHS quizbowl coach '06-'12
http://crquizbowl.edublogs.org
the return of AHAN
Auron

Post by the return of AHAN »

I know my worse round of the weekend was hitting just 18 on the first (and only) consolation round I read, and I attribute that to me being tired. Otherwise, the only times I was not hitting 20 or more was when I had teams consistently making me read the giveaway and prompting for most bonus answers.
Jeff Price
Barrington High School Coach (2021 & 2023 HSNCT Champions, 2023 PACE Champions, 2023 Illinois Masonic Bowl Class 3A State Champions)
Barrington Station Middle School Coach (2013 MSNCT Champions, 2013 & 2017 Illinois Class AA State Champions)
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Cheynem
Sin

Post by Cheynem »

(I didn't read at HSNCT this year)

Yeah, I would say 20 is probably a good bare minimum, but Jeff alludes to something that should be kept in mind: sometimes a low number of questions read is not entirely on the moderator being bad--teams that wait until the very end of every tossup, use the maximum amount of time on every bonus part, and in fact strategically stall late in a game will lead to less questions being heard.
Mike Cheyne
Formerly U of Minnesota

"You killed HSAPQ"--Matt Bollinger
theMoMA
Forums Staff: Administrator

Post by theMoMA »

I don't think anyone here is arguing for an elimination of the clock, but I would like to remind people that NAQT runs a 240-team, 15-round tournament on HSNCT Saturday. Keeping all games reasonably length-controlled is a major reason that they're able to do this successfully. If ever the clock had its place in quizbowl, HSNCT is that place. I'll also add that most moderators are good, which is a testament to NAQT's commitment (both logistical and financial) to bringing in good moderators.
Andrew Hart
Minnesota alum
fryede
Lulu

Post by fryede »

I don't know what NAQT's plan is, but I would be interested in getting a summary report of my evaluations. I'm always willing to hear feedback and improve my performance.
Darrell Frye
Vanderbilt 1992-1998
Mechanical Beasts
Banned Cheater

Cheynem wrote:(I didn't read at HSNCT this year)

Yeah, I would say 20 is probably a good bare minimum, but Jeff alludes to something that should be kept in mind: sometimes a low number of questions read is not entirely on the moderator being bad--teams that wait until the very end of every tossup, use the maximum amount of time on every bonus part, and in fact strategically stall late in a game will lead to less questions being heard.
And while I only glanced over round 1, I will say that low ppb by one or both teams correlated strongly with low TUH from the data I saw. I wouldn't be surprised if there were a weaker correlation between PPB disparity and low TUH. If you know you're TJ 2005 playing Podunk Remedial Prison High, you don't exactly feel the need to play fast.*

*but you might out of teammate hatred
Andrew Watkins
fryede
Lulu

Post by fryede »

Mechanical Beasts wrote:And while I only glanced over round 1, I will say that low ppb by one or both teams correlated strongly with low TUH from the data I saw. I wouldn't be surprised if there were a weaker correlation between PPB disparity and low TUH. If you know you're TJ 2005 playing Podunk Remedial Prison High, you don't exactly feel the need to play fast.
I just did some back-of-the-envelope calculations on all the matches. (I excluded 7 matches where I found a team had a PPB over 30). It's was simple straight-line linear regression using Excel, so YMMV.

First, the minimum tossups heard per round was 14; the max was 26. Median, mean, and mode were all 21.

I compared a few different factors against toss-ups heard per match. Here's how they measure up.
  • Total powers - Trendline: y = 0.2331x + 19.982 R² = 0.1471
    Total points per bonus per match - Trendline: y = 0.1239x + 19.322 R² = 0.0636
    Total interrupts per match - Trendline: y = 0.2378x + 20.222 R² = 0.0518
    Difference in PPB per match - Trendline: y = 0.0293x + 20.953 R² = 0.0028
I was surprised about the interrupts - I thought more negs would cause fewer questions to be read each match, but that line slopes upward more steeply than any of the others.
Darrell Frye
Vanderbilt 1992-1998
Important Bird Area

Post by Important Bird Area »

fryede wrote:I excluded 7 matches where I found a team had a PPB over 30
Please send us a list of these so we can check the scoresheets and make appropriate corrections.
Jeff Hoppes
President, Northern California Quiz Bowl Alliance
former HSQB Chief Admin (2012-13)
VP for Communication and history subject editor, NAQT
Editor emeritus, ACF

"I wish to make some kind of joke about Jeff's love of birds, but I always fear he'll turn them on me Hitchcock-style." -Fred
Important Bird Area

Down and out in Quintana Roo wrote:Either NAQT should go to 10-minute halves to ensure the mods can read more tossups (anything under 20 is honestly bad, moderators that can't hit 20 tossups are not good enough), or just finally say that 20 tossups will be the round, like just about every single other tournament out there.
10-minute halves are potentially on the table for future HSNCTs; untimed rounds are not. (Because of the variability in moderator speed, the tournament would run at the speed of the slowest moderator, and there would be great potential for card-system confusion as rooms ended at variable times.)
Jeff Hoppes
Editor emeritus, ACF

"I wish to make some kind of joke about Jeff's love of birds, but I always fear he'll turn them on me Hitchcock-style." -Fred
fryede
Lulu

Post by fryede »

bt_green_warbler wrote:
Please send us a list of these so we can check the scoresheets and make appropriate corrections.
I didn't keep track of which rounds these were from.

Winner Score Stats Loser Score Stats
P TU I B PPB P TU I B PPB TUH
La Crosse Logan 190 0 3 1 165 55 Athens 25 0 2 3 20 10 21
Dunbar B 335 3 3 2 270 45 Belvidere North B 60 0 3 0 30 10 22
Arcadia A 255 2 8 1 150 15 Wando 215 1 3 0 170 42.5 20
Wando 215 0 5 2 175 35 Harmony Science North Austin 110 0 6 2 60 10 21
Richard Montgomery A 470 4 12 2 300 18.75 Springfield 90 0 2 2 80 40 24
St. Paul Central 300 4 7 2 180 16.36363636 Eastside 210 0 4 0 170 42.5 21
St. Joseph 395 2 12 3 260 18.57142857 Ardsley 230 0 5 0 180 36 22
Darrell Frye
Vanderbilt 1992-1998
Northern Central Railway
Wakka

Post by Northern Central Railway »

fryede wrote:I don't know what NAQT's plan is, but I would be interested in getting a summary report of my evaluations. I'm always willing to hear feedback and improve my performance.
This would be nice, but for the 20 or so rooms (including mine) that had people trading off reading this may not yield accurate data about one specific reader - is NAQT making any effort to account for this when doing analysis?
Andrew Ibendahl
Nashville (IL) '04
DePauw '08
Former Coach, Mountain Lakes (NJ)
Important Bird Area

Northern Central Railway wrote:
fryede wrote:I don't know what NAQT's plan is, but I would be interested in getting a summary report of my evaluations. I'm always willing to hear feedback and improve my performance.
This would be nice, but for the 20 or so rooms (including mine) that had people trading off reading this may not yield accurate data about one specific reader - is NAQT making any effort to account for this when doing analysis?
Yes, we are (the scoresheet should note which of the staff in the room is moderating any particular round).
Jeff Hoppes
Editor emeritus, ACF

Important Bird Area

Thanks, we'll get these fixed.
fryede wrote:
bt_green_warbler wrote:
I didn't keep track of which rounds these were from.

Winner Score Stats Loser Score Stats
P TU I B PPB P TU I B PPB TUH
La Crosse Logan 190 0 3 1 165 55 Athens 25 0 2 3 20 10 21
Dunbar B 335 3 3 2 270 45 Belvidere North B 60 0 3 0 30 10 22
Arcadia A 255 2 8 1 150 15 Wando 215 1 3 0 170 42.5 20
Wando 215 0 5 2 175 35 Harmony Science North Austin 110 0 6 2 60 10 21
Richard Montgomery A 470 4 12 2 300 18.75 Springfield 90 0 2 2 80 40 24
St. Paul Central 300 4 7 2 180 16.36363636 Eastside 210 0 4 0 170 42.5 21
St. Joseph 395 2 12 3 260 18.57142857 Ardsley 230 0 5 0 180 36 22
Jeff Hoppes
Editor emeritus, ACF

cchiego
Yuna

Post by cchiego »

I was surprised about the interrupts - I thought more negs would cause fewer questions to be read each match, but that line slopes upward more steeply than any of the others.
This is because once a team has negged the other team, if they're not trying to power vulch, will wait until the full question is read to buzz in and answer. Sometimes too after one team negs the other team just doesn't know it and so will wait the 3 seconds at the end.
Chris C.
Past: UGA/UCSD/Penn
Present: Solano County, CA
fryede
Lulu

Post by fryede »

cchiego wrote:
This is because once a team has negged the other team, if they're not trying to power vulch, will wait until the full question is read to buzz in and answer. Sometimes too after one team negs the other team just doesn't know it and so will wait the 3 seconds at the end.
Sorry, I stated that badly. I was expecting to see TUH decline as negs increased (for exactly the reason you said). The opposite was true. As interrupts increased, so did TUH. And it increases more rapidly for negs than with any of the other factors I listed.
Darrell Frye
Vanderbilt 1992-1998
Mechanical Beasts
Banned Cheater

fryede wrote:
cchiego wrote:
Sorry, I stated that badly. I was expecting to see TUH decline as negs increased (for exactly the reason you said). The opposite was true. As interrupts increased, so did TUH. And it increases more rapidly for negs than with any of the other factors I listed.
Bonuses are long; negs halve the number of people who can answer correctly eventually. If each neg means 0.2378 tossups more are heard, then that means that each neg decreases room tossup conversion by an amount such that there's time to read 0.2378 tossups. Some amount of time is added because the tossup probably wouldn't have been answered at the end and probably is being so answered in this case, and the average bonus/tossup duration multiplies the chance the bonus is no longer heard. Basically.
Andrew Watkins
Stained Diviner
Auron

Post by Stained Diviner »

Given the r^2 values, these trends are pretty much nonexistent, though powers seem to have a slight impact. The correlations are surprisingly small. Also, better moderators tend to get assigned matches between better teams, which might be a confounding factor that renders the data unreliable.
David Reinstein
Head Writer and Editor for Scobol Solo, Masonics, and IESA; TD for Scobol Solo and Reinstein Varsity; IHSSBCA Board Member; IHSSBCA Chair (2004-2014); PACE President (2016-2018)
etchdulac
Rikku

Post by etchdulac »

Reading in one of the bottom-end rooms (233 v 238 was the highlight), we averaged 20.73 TUH, with three 23s and one 18.

We had several games with between zero and 2 total powers, a winning team with a bonus conversion of 5 (60/360), and a losing team with a bonus conversion of 2 (10/150).

Just in case any wants to know what the other side of the tournament looks like.
Stephen Fontenot
Texas Quiz Bowl Alliance Deputy Director
Communications, UT Dallas
Strake Jesuit '96 -+-+- Southwestern '00
Steeve Ho You Fat
Auron

Post by Steeve Ho You Fat »

bt_green_warbler wrote:
Yes, we are (the scoresheet should note which of the staff in the room is moderating any particular round).
I'd also be interested in seeing mine. I know that we told teams to write which of us read on the cards to avoid confusion, as matching rounds with names on scoresheets is probably hard and time consuming for the control room staff.
Joe Nutter
PACE Emeritus
Michigan State University '14
Walnut Hills High School '11
Black-throated Antshrike
Rikku

Post by Black-throated Antshrike »

Plan Rubber wrote:
bt_green_warbler wrote:
I'd also be interested in seeing mine. I know that we told teams to write which of us read on the cards to avoid confusion, as matching rounds with names on scoresheets is probably hard and time consuming for the control room staff.
What we did in my room was write our names on the cards before we gave them to the teams, that way there wouldn't be any mix ups when they filled them out
Joe
Delaware
blizzard
Lulu

Post by blizzard »

Could someone post the US-Canada border tossup? Thanks.

Some things I noticed were the repeats in some of the literature questions. In two different rounds there were bonuses on Henry James works that did not overlap, and two tossups on different Oscar Wilde plays. Was this done purposefully because they didn't actually overlap any material, or was this just a mistake?
Sam
AKKOLADE
Sin

Post by AKKOLADE »

In my opinion, two unique questions regarding Oscar Wilde or Henry James in a 26(?) round high school national isn't a problem.
Fred Morlan
University of Kentucky CoP, 2017
International Quiz Bowl Tournaments, CEO, co-owner
former PACE member, president, etc.
former hsqbrank manager, former NAQT writer & subject editor, former hsqb Administrator/Chief Administrator
Urech hydantoin synthesis
Tidus

Post by Urech hydantoin synthesis »

I remember an anomalously hard Arjuna / Draupadi / Karna bonus that had no obvious easy part, and a tossup on Paris that dropped Mount Ida in the first line. Other than those, I don't remember anything being egregiously bad, and overall, this set was probably the nicest NAQT set I've heard all year.
Ben Zhang

Zucker School of Medicine at Hofstra/Northwell '23
Columbia University '18
Ladue Horton Watkins HS '14
Important Bird Area

HSNCT round 10 wrote:His banner bears an ape, and his bow is named Gandiva. For 10 points each--

A. Name this Pandava archer who listens to a lecture on duty from his charioteer Krishna in the ~Bhagavad Gita~.

answer: _Arjuna_

B. Arjuna hit a revolving target while looking at its reflection to win the hand of this princess of Panchala, who became the wife of the five Pandavas.

answer: _Draupadi_

C. With Gandiva and the help of Krishna, Arjuna slays this Kauravan warrior. This half-brother of Arjuna is a son of Surya.

answer: _Karna_
HSNCT round 7 wrote:This man died on the slopes of Mount Ida after he was rebuffed while seeking aid from a nymph he had deserted named Oenone. This man was killed by a poisoned arrow fired by Philoctetes; he himself fired the arrow that killed (*) Achilles. This son of Hecuba and Priam offended Hera and Athena by awarding a golden apple to Aphrodite. For 10 points--name this prince who started the Trojan War by abducting Helen.
HSNCT round 15 wrote:An 1830 attempt to arbitrate this geographic feature by the Dutch king was rejected as impractical. The 1859 Pig War was fought over its location, and its anomalies include the Northwest Angle at Lake of the Woods. The Aroostook War was almost fought over this (*) boundary, settled in the east by the Webster-Ashburton Treaty. The 49th parallel forms much of--for 10 points--what border between two North American nations?

answer: _border_ between the _United States_ and _Canada_ (accept all parts in any order; accept _U.S._A. or _America_ for "United States"; accept equivalents such as _boundary_ for "border"; accept _Maine_-_New Brunswick_ boundary or border before "Pig"; do not accept answers involving "Minnesota")
Jeff Hoppes
Editor emeritus, ACF

Important Bird Area

blizzard wrote:Some things I noticed were the repeats in some of the literature questions. In two different rounds there were bonuses on Henry James works that did not overlap, and two tossups on different Oscar Wilde plays. Was this done purposefully because they didn't actually overlap any material, or was this just a mistake?
The former; we would much rather have two non-overlapping questions about a single important author than have to fill out the end of the distribution with less-significant authors/works.
Jeff Hoppes
Editor emeritus, ACF

hydrocephalitic listlessness
Forums Staff: Moderator

Post by hydrocephalitic listlessness »

The only problem was that the Oscar Wilde tossups were egregiously easy.
Will H-M
Harvard '16
Princeton ~'26
ACF
1992 in spaceflight
Auron

Post by 1992 in spaceflight »

echhsquizbowl wrote:The only problem was that the Oscar Wilde tossups were egregiously easy.
What do you mean exactly by egregiously easy? Jeff, would you post the Wilde plays that were tossed-up?
Jacob O'Rourke
Washington (MO) HS Assistant Coach (2014-Present); MOQBA Secretary (2015-Present)
Formerly: AQBL Administrator (2020-2023); HSAPQ Host Contact; NASAT Outreach Coordinator (2016 and 2017); Kirksville HS Assistant Coach (2012-2014); Truman State '14; and Pacific High (MO) '10

Like MOQBA on Facebook and follow us on Twitter!
Urech hydantoin synthesis
Tidus

Post by Urech hydantoin synthesis »

The Two Hearts of Kwasi Boachi wrote:
echhsquizbowl wrote:The only problem was that the Oscar Wilde tossups were egregiously easy.
What do you mean exactly by egregiously easy? Jeff, would you post the Wilde plays that were tossed-up?
I think he means:
echhsquizbowl wrote:The only questions that really bothered me were the two Oscar Wilde tossups - Earnest and Dorian Gray. Both ended up as buzzer races within the first half-line in my rounds. Alan Campbell is a character I've usually seen come up two-thirds of the way through most Dorian Gray tossups, and something more challenging than "eating muffins" could have been conceived for the Earnest tossup. The only other first-clue buzzer race I remember encountering was on the Housman tossup.
Ben Zhang

Zucker School of Medicine at Hofstra/Northwell '23
Columbia University '18
Ladue Horton Watkins HS '14
1992 in spaceflight
Auron

Post by 1992 in spaceflight »

Christ, I Know wrote:
The Two Hearts of Kwasi Boachi wrote:
I think he means:
echhsquizbowl wrote:The only questions that really bothered me were the two Oscar Wilde tossups - Earnest and Dorian Gray. Both ended up as buzzer races within the first half-line in my rounds. Alan Campbell is a character I've usually seen come up two-thirds of the way through most Dorian Gray tossups, and something more challenging than "eating muffins" could have been conceived for the Earnest tossup. The only other first-clue buzzer race I remember encountering was on the Housman tossup.
Maybe among playoff teams they were egregiously easy tossups (and some 5-5 teams). I had both of those go dead in my room, so I highly doubt that those tossups were egregiously easy.
Jacob O'Rourke
Washington (MO) HS Assistant Coach (2014-Present); MOQBA Secretary (2015-Present)
Formerly: AQBL Administrator (2020-2023); HSAPQ Host Contact; NASAT Outreach Coordinator (2016 and 2017); Kirksville HS Assistant Coach (2012-2014); Truman State '14; and Pacific High (MO) '10

Like MOQBA on Facebook and follow us on Twitter!
hydrocephalitic listlessness
Forums Staff: Moderator

Post by hydrocephalitic listlessness »

It's not that the topics were too easy - just that most reasonably good teams would be familiar with those lead-ins.
Will H-M
Harvard '16
Princeton ~'26
ACF
dtaylor4
Auron

Post by dtaylor4 »

echhsquizbowl wrote:It's not that the topics were too easy - just that most reasonably good teams would be familiar with those lead-ins.
I'd like to see how the buzz stats compare to this statement. Jeff, if they're done, could you post the buzz stats for these TUs?
AKKOLADE
Sin

Post by AKKOLADE »

I would be shocked if they're done.
Fred Morlan
University of Kentucky CoP, 2017
International Quiz Bowl Tournaments, CEO, co-owner
former PACE member, president, etc.
former hsqbrank manager, former NAQT writer & subject editor, former hsqb Administrator/Chief Administrator
MahoningQuizBowler
Rikku

Post by MahoningQuizBowler »

I'm sure the sheets are on their way; I didn't have enough room to take them back in my luggage from Atlanta.
Greg Bossick
Director, Mahoning Quizbowl League (2004-2011, 2013-present)
Director, NAQT Ohio Small School State Championship (2018-present)
Executive Director, Ohio Academic Competition (2013-2016)
Important Bird Area

HSNCT round 18 wrote:In this novel the chemist Alan Campbell is blackmailed into destroying a body. James sees the protagonist leaving an opium den, and is shot while hiding in some bushes and trying to avenge his sister, whom the protagonist left after she acted poorly in ~Romeo and Juliet~. In addition to (*) Sibyl Vane, this work features Basil Hallward and a man who seems youthful. For 10 points--name this novel by Oscar Wilde.

answer: The _Picture of Dorian Gray_
HSNCT round 6 wrote:In this play, a man who eats every muffin at his friend's house proposes to a girl who does not come of age until 35, and governess misplaces a novel's manuscript in a baby carriage. Imaginary correspondence with a wicked uncle fills Cecily's diary in this play, in which (*) Algernon goes Bunburying. Gwendolen is willing to marry Jack after hearing he was born with the title name in--for 10 points--what Oscar Wilde play?
I'll post a separate thread when the conversion stats are finished.
Jeff Hoppes
Editor emeritus, ACF

Coldblueberry
Lulu

Post by Coldblueberry »

Maybe our team's bye rounds prove me wrong but: http://imgur.com/5BDFg
Justin
Torrey Pines '12
Princeton '16
Important Bird Area

2/0 videogames (rounds 5 and 21), 3/0 boardgames (rounds 10, 18, and 24)

Edit: fixed typo
Jeff Hoppes
Editor emeritus, ACF

Auron

bt_green_warbler wrote:2/0 videogames (rounds 5 and 21), 3/0 boardgames (rounds 1, 18, and 24)
What is the board game tossup on round 1? I'm literally looking at the packets and i don't see one.
Mr. Andrew Chrzanowski
Camden, Delaware
CRHS '97-'01
Important Bird Area

Sorry, that should read "round 10" instead of "round 1."
Jeff Hoppes
Editor emeritus, ACF

Sniper, No Sniping!
Tidus

Post by Sniper, No Sniping! »

Wasn't Risk one of the board game tossups?
Thomas Moore
Lancaster Fisher Catholic HS c/o 2014
Ohio Wesleyan University c/o 2018
Auron

Paula Pareto Optimality wrote:Wasn't Risk one of the board game tossups?
Yeah, that's the one in Round 10.
Mr. Andrew Chrzanowski
Camden, Delaware
CRHS '97-'01
Harpie's Feather Duster

Post by Harpie's Feather Duster »

Wasn't there also a bonus on Sonic the Hedgehog in Packet 1, or did that go under misc.?
Dylan Minarik

Hamburger University 'XX
Northwestern '17
Belvidere North High School '13

Member Emeritus, PACE

JRPG Champion, BACK TO BACK Robot Slayer
Important Bird Area

Yes, and one other videogame bonus.
Jeff Hoppes
Editor emeritus, ACF

Mechanical Beasts
Banned Cheater

Golden-bellied Starfrontlet wrote:Wasn't there also a bonus on Sonic the Hedgehog in Packet 1, or did that go under misc.?
The notion of "misc" in NAQT does not mean that it can contain anything. The MI: parent code contains questions that bridge multiple subject areas (the tossup on "Brown") and MI:PC: those that contain pop culture content. A videogames bonus can't go there unless one part is a physics part on sonic booms or something odd.
Andrew Watkins
Kyle
Auron

Post by Kyle »

Mechanical Beasts wrote:
Golden-bellied Starfrontlet wrote:Wasn't there also a bonus on Sonic the Hedgehog in Packet 1, or did that go under misc.?
The notion of "misc" in NAQT does not mean that it can contain anything. The MI: parent code contains questions that bridge multiple subject areas (the tossup on "Brown") and MI:PC: those that contain pop culture content. A videogames bonus can't go there unless one part is a physics part on sonic booms or something odd.
MI in fact stands for "mixed," not "miscellaneous."

Another thing that is important to note:

The separate, oft-maligned, and much, much smaller general knowledge distribution (5/5 in the 26-packet HSNCT set) is for questions about things that do not have a home elsewhere in the distribution. My contributions to the GK distribution were writing tossups on Westminster Abbey and the New Yorker and editing a tossup about architecture and business in Dallas. Please don't think of GK as the home for useless unimportant crap like tossups on the history of Pez dispensers.
Kyle Haddad-Fonda
Harvard '09
Oxford '13
Auron

Is there something like SQBS's "round report" for the rounds at HSNCT? There were a couple rounds that the bonuses seemed collectively harder, and i was curious if there was some overall statistic for each one like is tabulated in the usual stats pages for other tournaments.
Mr. Andrew Chrzanowski
Camden, Delaware
CRHS '97-'01
Important Bird Area

I don't think we currently collect that data (but it would be possible to assemble from here).
Jeff Hoppes
Editor emeritus, ACF

Excelsior (smack)
Rikku

Post by Excelsior (smack) »

I took the liberty of assembling said data.

Code: Select all

Round  1: 14.02 | 16.04, 160 teams, 1475 bonuses
Round  2: 15.32 | 17.04, 160 teams, 1360 bonuses
Round  3: 12.96 | 14.32, 160 teams, 1429 bonuses
Round  4: 13.73 | 14.46, 160 teams, 1391 bonuses
Round  5: 12.29 | 12.93, 160 teams, 1459 bonuses
Round  6: 11.82 | 12.45, 160 teams, 1393 bonuses
Round  7: 13.04 | 14.03, 160 teams, 1276 bonuses
Round  8: 13.72 | 14.40, 160 teams, 1454 bonuses
Round  9: 12.46 | 13.36, 160 teams, 1275 bonuses
Round 10: 14.31 | 15.24, 160 teams, 1402 bonuses
Round 11: 13.24 | 13.82, 160 teams, 1335 bonuses
Round 12: 12.84 | 13.86, 160 teams, 1331 bonuses
Round 13: 14.71 | 15.39, 160 teams, 1479 bonuses
Round 14: 13.69 | 14.81, 160 teams, 1360 bonuses
Round 15: 12.59 | 13.27, 160 teams, 1399 bonuses

Round 16: 16.54 | 17.12,  86 teams,  820 bonuses
Round 17: 16.87 | 17.26,  72 teams,  747 bonuses
Round 18: 16.62 | 16.91,  54 teams,  569 bonuses
Round 19: 18.06 | 18.30,  38 teams,  407 bonuses
Round 20: 19.08 | 19.40,  24 teams,  265 bonuses
Round 21: 17.92 | 18.73,  16 teams,  169 bonuses
Round 22: 22.44 | 22.50,   6 teams,   68 bonuses
Round 23: 20.17 | 20.70,   4 teams,   43 bonuses
Round 24: 20.43 | 21.14,   4 teams,   44 bonuses
Round 25: 20.36 | 20.43,   2 teams,   23 bonuses
The first number is the mean of PPBs; the second number is total number of bonuses heard divided by total bonus points earned across all teams playing during that round. I'm not entirely sure which of these is more relevant, though I feel like the second number better reflects the actual bonus conversion across the field by not over-weighting games in which relatively few bonuses were heard.

Playoff conversion data are obviously confounded by the elimination of weaker teams. I don't know if prelim data is also confounded in a similar way - is it the case that there are certain rounds in the prelims in which a disproportionate number of strong or weak cards are on bye? If so, that could explain some of the variation here.
Ashvin Srivatsa
Corporate drone '?? | Yale University '14 | Sycamore High School (OH) '10