2012 NAQT New Jersey State Championship at Princeton 4/14/12

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
SBServer
Kimahri

2012 NAQT New Jersey State Championship at Princeton 4/14/12

Post by SBServer »

Princeton University will host this year's NAQT State Championship for the State of New Jersey. The tournament will be held on Saturday, April 14, 2011 on the Princeton Campus.

Fees:
$80 for the first team from a school.
$70 for each additional team
-$10 Discount per Buzzer System
-$15 per Experienced Reader/Moderator. Must have read tossup-bonus before. Note this in your email if you're interested.

Discounts will be capped at $25/team.

The last day to register without incurring a late fee will be Sunday, April 1st. There is no field cap yet, but we will temporarily waitlist teams beyond the third to leave more room for competition.

Schedule:
Registration will begin at 8:00am, followed by a meeting for all teams promptly at 8:30am. Play will begin immediately after the meeting, and late teams will forfeit matches (unless delayed by inclement weather or other acts of God.) Lunch will take place around noon, specifics to be determined according to how quickly the tournament is progressing.

Location (thus far):
The location of the tournament and available parking will be sent to coaches once they have been determined. Parking is free, and usually available close to campus.

Contact details: You can email me with registration or questions at sserver (at) princeton (dot) edu Or simply click the email button at the bottom of this post.

Field Update (Final):

St. Josephs of Metuchen: 3 teams
High Tech: 2 teams
Bensalem: 1 team
Pennsville Memorial: 2 teams
Millburn: 2 teams
Chatham: 1 team
MAST: 2 teams
JP Stevens: 2 teams
Columbia HS: 1 team
Pingry: 2 teams
Ridgewood: 3 teams
Bergen Academies: 2 teams
Livingston: 2 team
East Brunswick: 2 teams
Seton Hall: 3 teams
Ranney: 1 team
Mountain Lakes: 1 team

32 teams
Last edited by SBServer on Wed Apr 11, 2012 1:10 pm, edited 6 times in total.
Steve Server
Acting Tournament Director
Princeton University
Edward Powers
Auron

Re: 2012 NAQT State Championchip at Princeton, 4/14/12

Post by Edward Powers »

Have you decided on a format yet? I assume the morning will involve round robin preliminaries. But will you re-bracket for the afternoon and have Championship & Consolation Round Robins or will the afternoon be sinlge elimination? Since it is a State Championship you are hosting, my vote would be for a Championship Round Robin if possible, with an advantaged final if necessary, rather than a single elimination format. Just a suggestion, but I hope you give it thorough consideration.

And Saint Joe's will email you soon with a registration of 2-3 teams, 2 buzzers and 1 moderator.
Ed Powers
Coach
SJHS Academic Team
Metuchen, NJ
Northern Central Railway
Wakka

Re: 2012 NAQT New Jersey State Championship at Princeton 4/14/12

Post by Northern Central Railway »

is there a field update for this?
Andrew Ibendahl
Nashville (IL) '04
DePauw '08
Former Coach, Mountain Lakes (NJ)
Edward Powers
Auron

Post by Edward Powers »

A question for the Princeton organizers: If coaches wanted to hold a science competition at Princeton after the State Championshp Final in order to find the best science player in NJ to add to the NJ NASAT team, would this be OK?
Ed Powers
Coach
SJHS Academic Team
Metuchen, NJ
Edward Powers
Auron

Post by Edward Powers »

Students who wish to compete for the science seat on the NJ NASAT team should know that we have received provisional approval to use rooms up to 7 PM at Princeton after the NJ NAQT State Championship is completed. The Princeton organizers cannot yet definitively approve the use of the rooms until 7 PM because they have not yet received such an approval up to this time from the school itself. However, they have requested rooms until 7 PM and we have been informed that if they receive approval up to 7 PM, they will allow us to hold our science competition, so if you wish to compete, come ready on the 14th. And if you wish to sign up personally beforehand, to make sure that I know that you are interested, you can 'PM" me from this site or sign up under the NJ NASAT site for 2012 elsewhere on these forum pages. And if it turns out that the Princeton venue cannot be used, we will endeavor to find another venue in a timely fashion.
Ed Powers
Coach
SJHS Academic Team
Metuchen, NJ
SHP Pirate
Rikku

Post by SHP Pirate »

Seton Hall received a confirmation as to our registration weeks ago yet we are not listed here.

EDIT: Thank you.
Michael T. Zinsmeister
Director of Admission
Seton Hall Preparatory School
West Orange, NJ
roey
Lulu

Post by roey »

SHP Pirate wrote:Seton Hall received a confirmation as to our registration weeks ago yet we are not listed here.

EDIT: Thank you.
I believe this is the same case with Ranney. We've been confirmed but we're not on the list either. Thanks in advance!
Roey Hadar
Ranney School '13, Georgetown University '17
President, Georgetown Quiz Bowl
jonpin
Auron

Post by jonpin »

Do you have any additional information on where we'll be meeting, tournament format, when the tournament is expected to end?
Jon Pinyan
Coach, Bergen County Academies (NJ); former player for BCA (2000-03) and WUSTL (2003-07)
HSQB forum mod, PACE member
Stat director for: NSC '13-'15, '17; ACF '14, '17, '19; NHBB '13-'15; NASAT '11

"A [...] wizard who controls the weather" - Jerry Vinokurov
Great Bustard
Auron

Post by Great Bustard »

Can middle schoolers compete for the public high schools (or any other schools) they feed into? Is it okay if they come but then the team is thereby ineligible for any of the titles?
David Madden
Ridgewood (NJ) '99, Princeton '03
Founder and Director: International History Bee and Bowl, National History Bee and Bowl (High School Division), International History Olympiad, United States Geography Olympiad, US History Bee, US Academic Bee and Bowl, National Humanities Bee, National Science Bee, International Academic Bowl.
Adviser and former head coach for Team USA at the International Geography Olympiad
Grace
Wakka

Post by Grace »

I believe I sent an email (on 4/1) indicating that High Tech would like to bring an additional team, but we are still listed as bringing only one team on the updated roster. (I didn't receive confirmation, though, so perhaps the email was somehow deleted or overlooked?)

Thank you in advance for your help.
Grace Liu
MIT (no graduation because hahaha what a joke)
Yale University '16
High Technology High School '12
Important Bird Area
Forums Staff: Administrator

Post by Important Bird Area »

nationalhistorybeeandbowl wrote:Can middle schoolers compete for the public high schools (or any other schools) they feed into? Is it okay if they come but then the team is thereby ineligible for any of the titles?
Middle schoolers are welcome to compete; if they wish to play on high school teams, they should write to us for an eligibility exception (eligibility [at] naqt.com).
Jeff Hoppes
President, Northern California Quiz Bowl Alliance
former HSQB Chief Admin (2012-13)
VP for Communication and history subject editor, NAQT
Editor emeritus, ACF

"I wish to make some kind of joke about Jeff's love of birds, but I always fear he'll turn them on me Hitchcock-style." -Fred
Edward Powers
Auron

Post by Edward Powers »

We have just received approval to use Princeton classrooms after the State Championship matches are finished, so the Science competition will be held immediately thereafter and should be finished by 7 PM, so all interested students should be prepared to stay until then.

EDIT: The format for the competition is subject to some reasonable changes, depending upon the number of competitors and the actual time we get to start, but assuming we start circa 5:30-5:45 PM, we will probably have 2-3 preliminary rounds, with players randomly grouped each round, to determine the Top 4 players overall by the end of these preliminary rounds, ties included. So, if ,as an example, 3 players are tied for 4th, we will move all 6 players into one final Championship round, winner take all. This is a rough idea of what is planned, but we reserve the right to modify things somewhat, mostly based upon time constraints. Our hope is to have 3 preliminary rounds, but that might not be possible. I hope this helps everyone who plans to compete.
Ed Powers
Coach
SJHS Academic Team
Metuchen, NJ
roey
Lulu

Post by roey »

Just a question: earlier in the year there was a discussion about holding a meeting for next year's schedule for the area. Is this still going to occur?
Roey Hadar
Ranney School '13, Georgetown University '17
President, Georgetown Quiz Bowl
jonpin
Auron

Post by jonpin »

I think we could try to have an informal sit down to plan out the calendar, at least the fall, either before the tournament starts or during a bracketing break. Now that NYC has its own state championship, we won't have Hunter or K'berg there to weigh in on date claims, though.
Jon Pinyan
Coach, Bergen County Academies (NJ); former player for BCA (2000-03) and WUSTL (2003-07)
HSQB forum mod, PACE member
Stat director for: NSC '13-'15, '17; ACF '14, '17, '19; NHBB '13-'15; NASAT '11

"A [...] wizard who controls the weather" - Jerry Vinokurov
Great Bustard
Auron

Post by Great Bustard »

Update with single elim semifinals about to start:
St. Joe's A v. Mountain Lakes
High Tech A v. Millburn A

Grace from High Tech was high scorer in prelims, Alex Frey of St Joe's A was second. Here we go...
David Madden
Ridgewood (NJ) '99, Princeton '03
Founder and Director: International History Bee and Bowl, National History Bee and Bowl (High School Division), International History Olympiad, United States Geography Olympiad, US History Bee, US Academic Bee and Bowl, National Humanities Bee, National Science Bee, International Academic Bowl.
Adviser and former head coach for Team USA at the International Geography Olympiad
Ugly
Lulu

Post by Ugly »

Final Results:

High Tech A defeated St. Joseph's A 305-255 in the final. Congratulations to all involved! I'll post stats as soon as I fix all my spelling mistakes.
Jamie Ding
Grosse Pointe North High School 2009
Princeton 2013

This signature is superior to itself.
Edward Powers
Auron

Post by Edward Powers »

Congratulations to High Tech for their State Championship victory today. It was well earned. Congratulations also to Alex Frey of St. Joe's & Grace Liu of High Tech, who were named Co-Players of the Year in New Jersey. They are joined on the First Team All-State squad by Roey Hadar of Ranney, Jason Hill of St. Joe's and JP Gilmartin of Seton Hall Prep. And, finally, an additional congratulations to Alex Nie of Livingston, who won our State Science competition today. Assuming we field a NASAT team this year in June, this result has earned Alex the Science seat on that NASAT squad, and he earned it in very impressive fashion against some pretty talented competition.

EDIT: After some careful research (see my post below) it has become clear that Kevin Zhou of High Tech overtook Alex's Nie's lead in the Finals, so he is the actual winner of the Science competition. The answers were coming so fast and furiously that I simply was confused about the actual winner, for both played extremely well. And my apologies, of course, to both players for my error here.
Last edited by Edward Powers on Sun Apr 15, 2012 12:05 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Ed Powers
Coach
SJHS Academic Team
Metuchen, NJ
Grace
Wakka

Post by Grace »

A huge thank you to Princeton for a well-run tournament and for letting us hold a science tryout afterwards.
Many thanks, also, to Mr. Powers for all his efforts in honoring NJ quizbowlers. We really appreciate your work on our behalf. Congratulations also to the St. Joes' team--we really enjoyed the exciting final match.

One last thing: the High Tech team was under the impression that the NASAT team science tryout winner was determined by overall score over two rounds, and we believe that Kevin Zhou of High Tech overwhelmingly won by the end of the second round. Alex Nie was indeed leading after round 1, but Kevin's ultimate cumulative score was significantly higher.
Grace Liu
MIT (no graduation because hahaha what a joke)
Yale University '16
High Technology High School '12
Edward Powers
Auron

Post by Edward Powers »

Thanks for your kind words. And I am currently looking into issue you have raised about the actual science winner, and as soon as I learn what I need to learn, I will let everyone know what I have discovered. Of course, considering all of the "snow on my aged chimney", you should not be surprised if sometimes (OK, more than sometimes!) I post in error, and if that is the case here, I will certainly correct it as soon as I learn that it is, in fact, the case.
Ed Powers
Coach
SJHS Academic Team
Metuchen, NJ
Edward Powers
Auron

Post by Edward Powers »

After some thorough research, it is confirmed that Kevin Zhou of High Tech was the winner yesterday of the Science competition at Princeton, so he has earned the NASAT science seat for New Jersey, assuming we will be able to go. So congratulations to Kevin and to all at High Tech. You 'guys' had a remarkably successful day yesterday. And here is the really good news: Alex Nie, the runner up in the science competition, displayed excellent sportsmanship, writing to me confirming Kevin's Championship and wishing the NASAT team the best of luck at Nationals.
Ed Powers
Coach
SJHS Academic Team
Metuchen, NJ
Edward Powers
Auron

Post by Edward Powers »

Our 3 New Jersey All-State Teams saw over 20 students receive votes from the coaches, and there were tie votes that allowed 5 players to make 1st team and 5 to make 3rd team, so, overall 14 players made the 3 squads. I will order extra-medallions with the proper inscriptions for these players. So, here are our 3 All State Teams:

1st Team, with 5 players due to a tie in the voting: Alex Frey of St. Joe's & Grace Liu of High Tech were the only unanimous 1st Team Selectees and, in addition, they tied for Player of the Year Honors, so they are 'Co-Players of Year'. They are joined on the team by the only other All Stars to be named on every ballot: Roey Hadar of Ranney, Jason Hill of St. Joe's, and JP Gilmartin of Seton Hall Prep;

2nd Team: Andrew Brod and Will Krinsman of Millburn, Adam Horowitz of East Brunswick and Josh Blecher-Cohen of Bergen County Academies;

3rd Team: Ted Rappleye of Mountain Lakes, Alex Nie of Livingston, Angela Zhou of High Tech, Mark Chung of Ridgewood and Reuben Keller of MAST.

Edited: For the accurate spelling of names. I hope all are now correct.
Last edited by Edward Powers on Sun Apr 15, 2012 9:07 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Ed Powers
Coach
SJHS Academic Team
Metuchen, NJ
Ugly
Lulu

Post by Ugly »

Prelims: http://hsquizbowl.org/db/tournaments/972/stats/prelims/
Playoffs: http://hsquizbowl.org/db/tournaments/97 ... /playoffs/
All Games: http://hsquizbowl.org/db/tournaments/97 ... all_games/

The tournament was won by High Tech A, who defeated St. Joseph A 305-255 in the final. Millburn A and Mountain Lakes were semi-finalists (the third place game wasn't played).

A total of 32 teams participated. After the prelims of four eight-team brackets, the top eight teams were rebracketed into two playoff round-robin brackets of four, after which the top four teams participated in semifinals and finals.

The top player after the prelims was Grace Liu of High Tech, who finished with a whopping 118.57 ppg, including one absurd round where she snagged 14 questions, 10 of which were powered. Close behind was Alex Frey of St. Joseph (107.50 ppg).

Congratulations to all players, and we hope you had fun.
Jamie Ding
Grosse Pointe North High School 2009
Princeton 2013

This signature is superior to itself.