Illinois Quizbowl Computer Rankings

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
Mike Wong
Lulu

Illinois Quizbowl Computer Rankings

Post by Mike Wong »

Recently, I've become interested in ranking teams. Originally I was going to post these rankings before the member's poll and the seeding meeting, but I decided that I did not want to influence any ballots beyond my own*. Although I like stats such as PPB/PPG/15pg, it is quite difficult to establish benchmarks for comparison on different sets. Through a little bit of research on ranking methods, I have found four methods that utilize only wins and losses in order to rank teams that have public formulas to ensure that rankings were reproducible and transparency. Those rankings are the Ratings Percentage Index (RPI), Vern's ranking system, Elo (as described by NAQT) and a modified version of the Simple Ranking System (SRS). More explanation on each individual ranking format can be found on the actual rankings page in the link below.

So after the copy/pasting/reformatting of over 2,800 matches later we have the rankings: http://www.michaelhwong.com/ilqbrank. I do not claim this system to be perfect or any ranking system to be perfect, but I think quantifying performance based on record and strength of schedule is quite interesting. Let me know what you think.

*Note: My IHSSBCA ballots were not determined solely based on these rankings.
Mike Wong
Tulane University School of Medicine
A.B. Freeman School of Business at Tulane University

Benedictine University '15
IMSA '11
tinioril
Lulu

Re: Illinois Quizbowl Computer Rankings

Post by tinioril »

Who is MCC?
Ned Lauber
Wheaton Warrenville South '12
Vanderbilt '16
Good Goblin Housekeeping
Auron

Post by Good Goblin Housekeeping »

tinioril wrote:Who is MCC?
marian catholic central?
Andrew Wang
Illinois 2016
Irreligion in Bangladesh
Auron

Post by Irreligion in Bangladesh »

tinioril wrote:Who is MCC?
Marian Central Catholic, from Woodstock; they've got two players who played Scobol Solo and did very well.
Brad Fischer
Head Editor, IHSA State Series
IHSSBCA Chair

Winnebago HS ('06)
Northern Illinois University ('10)
Assistant Coach, IMSA (2010-12)
Coach, Keith Country Day School (2012-16)
tinioril
Lulu

Post by tinioril »

Thanks.
Have they played anything else?
Ned Lauber
Vanderbilt '16
Stained Diviner
Auron

Post by Stained Diviner »

They came in 3rd at both the Sterling Kickoff and the Fenton Turnabout, and they were 7th in the Standard Division at New Trier.
David Reinstein
Head Writer and Editor for Scobol Solo, Masonics, and IESA; TD for Scobol Solo and Reinstein Varsity; IHSSBCA Board Member; IHSSBCA Chair (2004-2014); PACE President (2016-2018)
the return of AHAN
Auron

Post by the return of AHAN »

I, too, am surprised at how much higher MCC is relative to, well, Barrington, given we've finished higher than them in 100% of our common tournaments.
Jeff Price
Barrington High School Coach (2021 & 2023 HSNCT Champions, 2023 PACE Champions, 2023 Illinois Masonic Bowl Class 3A State Champions)
Barrington Station Middle School Coach (2013 MSNCT Champions, 2013 & 2017 Illinois Class AA State Champions)
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Mike Wong
Lulu

Post by Mike Wong »

Moving Day wrote:I, too, am surprised at how much higher MCC is relative to, well, Barrington, given we've finished higher than them in 100% of our common tournaments.
True. One thing I like to look at from these calculated rankings is the derived opponent's average Vern index of a given team. Essentially it accounts for a team's strength of schedule even more so than the Vern value out right.

One problem that these rankings have is accounting for the disjoint nature that is inherent to Illinois geography. Teams from different parts of the state don't necessarily have the chance for direct comparison or even secondary comparison with common opponents. This is where stats like PPB are much better to use as a comparison metric. Often, this leads to teams from weaker regions having inflated rankings. Again, I don't claim perfection or even coherency in these rankings. Take them with a huge grain of salt.

In other news, the latest set of rankings are now updated with Greenville Comet and NAQT State. Spoiler alert: IMSA A is no longer the unanimous number one team.

Link: http://www.michaelhwong.com/ilqbrank
Mike Wong
Tulane University School of Medicine
A.B. Freeman School of Business at Tulane University

Benedictine University '15
IMSA '11
Sen. Estes Kefauver (D-TN)
Chairman of Anti-Music Mafia Committee

Post by Sen. Estes Kefauver (D-TN) »

proud coach of the 8th best team in illinois
Charlie Dees, North Kansas City HS '08
"I won't say more because I know some of you parse everything I say." - Jeremy Gibbs

"At one TJ tournament the neg prize was the Hampshire College ultimate frisbee team (nude) calender featuring one Evan Silberman. In retrospect that could have been a disaster." - Harry White
Irreligion in Bangladesh
Auron

College Park Spyders wrote:proud coach of the 8th best team in illinois
You can boost that rating with a trip to ATROPHY; $10 entry fee per team for you (and any other out of state team)!
Brad Fischer
IHSSBCA Chair

Winnebago HS ('06)
Edward Elric
Tidus

Post by Edward Elric »

It's always been my dream to captain the 237th best High School team in Illinois. Dreams do come true!
Mike Perovanovic
University of Ill.-Chicago '13
Wheaton North '09
tinioril
Lulu

Post by tinioril »

Wait...Carbondale B?
Ned Lauber
Vanderbilt '16

Bone seeker wrote:You can boost that rating with a trip to ATROPHY; $10 entry fee per team for you (and any other out of state team)!
You're making this very faulty assumption that we aren't banned from playing your tournament by MSHSAA.
"I won't say more because I know some of you parse everything I say." - Jeremy Gibbs

"At one TJ tournament the neg prize was the Hampshire College ultimate frisbee team (nude) calender featuring one Evan Silberman. In retrospect that could have been a disaster." - Harry White
Irreligion in Bangladesh
Auron

College Park Spyders wrote:
Bone seeker wrote:You can boost that rating with a trip to ATROPHY; $10 entry fee per team for you (and any other out of state team)!
You're making this very faulty assumption that we aren't banned from playing your tournament by MSHSAA.
What do we need to do to get unbanned? (please don't say "move the tournament to before MSHSAA State," please don't say "move the tournament to before MSHSAA State")
Brad Fischer
IHSSBCA Chair

Winnebago HS ('06)

I won't. I'll say move the tournament before MSHSAA districts.

Irreligion in Bangladesh
Auron

College Park Spyders wrote:I won't. I'll say move the tournament before MSHSAA districts.
Arrrrrrgh.
Brad Fischer
IHSSBCA Chair

Winnebago HS ('06)
Adventure Temple Trail
Auron

Post by Adventure Temple Trail »

Charlie, are you pointing out a sad fact that people should consider, or are you seriously doing the "my one team cant go to this tournament therefore the host NEEDS to move the tournament" thing?
Matt Jackson
University of Chicago '24
Yale '14, Georgetown Day School '10
member emeritus, ACF
Cheynem
Sin

Post by Cheynem »

It sounds like this applies to every MSHSAA school?
Mike Cheyne
Formerly U of Minnesota

"You killed HSAPQ"--Matt Bollinger
Auroni
Auron

Post by Auroni »

Given that this tournament would greatly benefit from teams like Ladue and Rock Bridge being able to participate in it, I'd say it falls more into the "this is something the host should consider" category.
Auroni Gupta (she/her)

Teams from Missouri can only play one tournament after districts, and there already is one scheduled in Missouri, hence it would be banned for teams to go to this.

Anyway I in no way am doing what you're saying, Matt, Brad in fact was the one who brought this tournament up trying to plug it to me and I answered his question that we can't possibly go, so he shouldn't try to fix it.