3/24/12 Virginia NAQT States @ UVA

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
Blackboard Monitor Vimes
Auron

3/24/12 Virginia NAQT States @ UVA

Post by Blackboard Monitor Vimes »

The Academic Competition Club at UVA will be hosting the Virginia NAQT State Championship on March 24, 2012. Middle and high schools, public or private, that are located in the state of Virginia are eligible to play this tournament.

Location: This tournament will be held in New Cabell Hall. We'll be meeting in room 330 at 8:30 AM.

Parking: New Cabell Hall is on Jefferson Park Avenue. The parking lot I'd recommend is down Brandon Avenue (which
intersects JPA) a few hundred feet on the right. The best address with which to look up directions for that parking lot is the Elson Student Health Center at 400 Brandon Avenue. The student health lot itself is UVA permit-only (and they do ticket), but there's a free non-permit parking lot across the street from it. Construction is complicating access to New Cabell a little bit, but there will be a door on the side of the building closer to Brandon that will be open, from which you can take the stairs up to the third floor. I believe they've left the elevator on the first floor functioning, but if that would be necessary for your team, please let me know so I can make a trip down there and check that they haven't blocked it off recently.

Format: We will be using untimed 20/20 rounds, with powers and negs. Tournament format will depend on the number of teams registered. We will be skipping computational math.

This tournament will be an opportunity to qualify for the NAQT High School National Championship Tournament, which will be held on May 26-27 in Atlanta, Georgia.
This tournament will also be affiliated with the Partnership for Academic Competition Excellence (http://www.pace-nsc.org ) and will be an opportunity to qualify for the National Scholastics Championship, which is run by PACE and will occur on June 9-10, 2011 in St. Louis, Missouri.

There is a buffet-style dining hall near New Cabell Hall that will be open on this date. I’ll have a list of other food options available on the day of the tournament as well. We will not be providing breakfast or lunch for teams.

Team size: There can be a maximum number of 6 players on each team’s roster, with substitutions possible at half-time and between games. If you wish to bring 7 or 8 players, we ask that you register a second team, and so on for anyone with larger numbers of players.

Fee structure:
Base fee: $70 per team
Buzzer discount: $5 for each system on which the control box and 8 buzzers work.
Staff discount: $10 for a parent, coach, non-playing student, etc. To qualify for the discount, volunteer staffers must stay through all games, not including finals.
Travel discount (200 miles or more, one way): $10
Minimum fee: $45

To register, please email me (Sarah Angelo) at sea2fj at virginia dot edu. Checks should be made out to “Academic Competition Club,” though we can also accept cash. Please pay either in advance or, preferably, on the day of the tournament. If you wish to pay in advance, please indicate this in your registration and I will send you an address. Likewise, please let me know if you will need an invoice or a W-9.

Additionally, Daniel Hothem will be running a free tryout for the Virginia National All-Star Academic Tournament (NASAT) team after the tournament. If you'd like to participate, email him at waddle2357 at gmail dot com.

I hope to see you in March!
Sam L,
Maggie L. Walker Governor's School 2010 / UVA 2014 / VCU School of Education 2016
PACE
Blackboard Monitor Vimes
Auron

Re: 3/24/12 Virginia NAQT States @ UVA

Field update will be running in this post.

Registered (14):

Bassett (2)
Blacksburg
Cave Spring
Christiansburg
Hanover
Maggie Walker
New Kent
Rappahannock County HS (2)
Robinson
Thomas Jefferson (2)
Western Branch

Buzzers (9):

Bassett
Christiansburg
Blacksburg (3)
Rappahannock County HS (2)
Robinson
Thomas Jefferson (2)
Western Branch

Outside Staff:

Bassett (2)
GB (2)
Western Branch (2)
Sam L,
Maggie L. Walker Governor's School 2010 / UVA 2014 / VCU School of Education 2016
PACE
Blackboard Monitor Vimes
Auron

Unfortunately, they were only able to give us 11 rooms for this tournament, so we've got the somewhat awkward field cap of 22 for now.

EDIT: Unless there's definitely enough demand and someone willing to help me with a non-headachy format for 20 or 22, we're going to roll with a cap of 18 teams, with which I can get everyone 10 games. This also cuts back some of the risk of there being construction ongoing in the rooms we were assigned without us being notified of that, as happened at one of our college tournaments this fall.
Sam L,
PACE
Blackboard Monitor Vimes
Auron

Hey. everyone. This tournament's in about a month, and there's still plenty of room in the field. I hope to see you there!
Sam L,
PACE
Blackboard Monitor Vimes
Auron

Hello, everyone. I'm editing this into the first post as well, but we're meeting in New Cabell 330 at 8:30 AM.

Also, if you're still interested but not registered, registrations sooner rather than later would be super helpful as I try to make sure we're covered staff-wise.
Sam L,
PACE
Blackboard Monitor Vimes
Auron

For right now, it seems wisest to revise our cap downwards to 16 and reevaluate later if there's a bunch of last minute interest. Please email me ASAP if you'd like to attend.
Sam L,
PACE
Blackboard Monitor Vimes
Auron

Hello, everyone! Unfortunately, Marshall has had to drop, and Maggie Walker's B isn't going to work out. If anyone is interested in adding a (free) team last-minute to help us fix the schedule, please let me know ASAP! Otherwise, we'll try to cobble together a scab team in the morning.
Sam L,
PACE
Blackboard Monitor Vimes
Auron

We ended up with a field of 14 teams. Assistant/apprentice TD Daniel Hothem is running stats, which are updated through the prelims. The top 4 from each bracket and bottom 3 from each bracket will play their corresponding teams from the other bracket after lunch.

Matt Moschella (Christiansburg) and Raynor Kuang (TJ A) are the top scorers, with both slightly over 150 PPG.
Sam L,
PACE
Smuttynose Island
Forums Staff: Moderator

Post by Smuttynose Island »

Playoff stats should be live(ish) here: http://hsquizbowl.org/db/tournaments/91 ... /playoffs/
Daniel Hothem
TJHSST '11 | UVA '15 | Oregon '??
"You are the stuff of legends" - Chris Manners
https://sites.google.com/site/academicc ... ubuva/home
Smuttynose Island
Forums Staff: Moderator

Post by Smuttynose Island »

Cave Spring defeated Christiansburg 335-250 to win their first NAQT VA State Championship. Western Branch defeated Maggie Walker in order to play TJ A for third place.
Daniel Hothem
TJHSST '11 | UVA '15 | Oregon '??
"You are the stuff of legends" - Chris Manners
https://sites.google.com/site/academicc ... ubuva/home
Blackboard Monitor Vimes
Auron

Smuttynose Island wrote:Cave Spring defeated Christiansburg 335-250 to win their first NAQT VA State Championship. Western Branch defeated Maggie Walker in order to play TJ A for third place.
Also, by virtue of beating Maggie Walker, Western Branch qualified for HSNCT through the state championship reserved spot. Western Branch then effectively qualified again by finishing third. New Kent qualified as the top small school. Cave Spring and Christiansburg also qualified for HSNCT.

Cave Spring, Christiansburg, Western Branch, and TJ A qualified for the NSC.

Thanks to everyone for coming!
Sam L,
PACE
Important Bird Area
Forums Staff: Administrator

Post by Important Bird Area »

The Laughing Cavalier wrote: Also, by virtue of beating Maggie Walker, Western Branch qualified for HSNCT through the state championship reserved spot.
Note that this is a qualifier but *not* a reserved spot. The reserved position in the HSNCT field is held for the champion (but in this case that reserved berth is dissolved because Cave Spring is already registered for HSNCT).

Newly-qualified teams should register for HSNCT as soon as possible; as of this afternoon we have 186 teams registered for the 2012 HSNCT.
Jeff Hoppes
President, Northern California Quiz Bowl Alliance
former HSQB Chief Admin (2012-13)
VP for Communication and history subject editor, NAQT
Editor emeritus, ACF

"I wish to make some kind of joke about Jeff's love of birds, but I always fear he'll turn them on me Hitchcock-style." -Fred