Culver (IN) Jan. 28, 2012 Varsity and Frosh/Soph Tourneys

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
pblessman
Rikku

Culver (IN) Jan. 28, 2012 Varsity and Frosh/Soph Tourneys

Post by pblessman »

Culver Academies are proud to announce our 2012 High School Quizbowl Tournaments! The Eighth Annual Culver Academies Varsity Invitational and Seventh Annual Frosh/Soph Tournament will be held on January 28, 2012, and we hope your school will be able to send one or more teams to compete in our tournaments!

These tournaments, using NAQT IS-107 (Varsity) and IS-112A (Frosh-Soph), will feature two or three separate divisions:

I. Varsity AA: Large Public and Private Schools (using IS-107)
II. Varsity A: Small Public Schools (if there are enough Varsity teams to have a separate division for small schools... if not we will play off a small school champ HSNCT style) (using IS-107)
III. Frosh/Soph (using IS-112A)

If there is a second Varsity division, Large Public and Private Schools will have the option of entering B or C teams in the Varsity A division as exhibition teams (i.e. they will be ineligible for the championship bracket). Tiny private schools might be allowed to play in the Small School Division at the Tournament Director's discretion.

Field size is limited to 32 Varsity and 16 Frosh/Soph teams for a total of 48 teams. Assuming we have 16 teams in a division, we will divide teams into two balanced eight team round robins, and then re-bracket for the afternoon in to a Championship and a Consolation bracket of eight teams each, with everybody playing four more games after lunch against the teams they have NOT faced in the morning, which would result in eleven games for all teams. After the Championship round robin is finished the top two teams would face off in a (potentially) advantaged final.

Each team will be guaranteed a minimum of eight games, with round robins being held in the morning and playoff round robins being held in the afternoon. The Registration Fee is $70 per team, with a discount of $10 available if you bring a buzzer system, a $10 discount/team if your school is more than 150 mi from Culver, and a $20 discount per team if your school is more than 300 miles from Culver.

To guarantee your spots, please post here or e-mail Phil Blessman at blessmp [at] culver [dot] org by January 15 2012, indicating your school's enrollment and the number of varsity and/or Frosh/Soph teams you would like to bring. We look forward to welcoming you to Culver Academies for our Quizbowl tournaments! If you have any questions, please feel free to contact me at any time!

P.S.: We have substantial housing available at the campus motel at a cost of $20 per two-person room. Lunch in our dining hall is pretty good, AYCE, and only $5 per person. Breakfast and dinner are also available to teams staying overnight at a cost of $4 and $6 per person respectively.

Field Update (as of 1/25/12):

Varsity:
Culver
DCC A (MI)
DCC B (MI)
Harrison A
Harrison B
Kalamazoo Christian A (MI)
Kalamazoo Christian B (MI)
North Miami
North White
Pioneer A
Pioneer B
South Bend-St. Joe's

Frosh/Soph:
Culver A
Culver B
DCC A (MI)
DCC B (MI)
Harrison A
Harrison B
North Miami
Northmont (OH)
Pioneer
South Bend-St. Joe's
White Cloud A (MI)
White Cloud B (MI)
Last edited by pblessman on Fri Jan 27, 2012 11:15 am, edited 5 times in total.
Phil Blessman- Culver Academies Head Quizbowl Coach
pblessman
Rikku

Re: Culver (IN) Jan. 28, 2012 Varsity and Frosh/Soph Tourneys

Post by pblessman »

Field update posted above!
Ben Dillon
Rikku

Post by Ben Dillon »

St. Joseph's is in for two teams (at this point, 1 V / 1 FS, but that could change to 2 V if I can't get enough youngers). Thought I'd sent this in earlier.
Ben Dillon, Saint Joseph HS

"Why, sometimes I've believed as many as
six impossible things before breakfast!"
pblessman
Rikku

Post by pblessman »

We have 11 Varsity and 12 Frosh/Soph teams signed up. I will cap the field at 12 per division at this point to be able to plan for next Saturday. That means one spot is left for Varsity. We will play a full round robin in both Varsity and Frosh/Soph, so everybody gets to play everybody, which should be fun. I do need some readers, so if there are volunteers out there willing to come out to Culver for the tournament, I can offer $5 per match cash ($55 total for most), meals while here, as well as a motel room. Let me know ASAP if you are interested! Thanks!
pblessman
Rikku

Post by pblessman »

Top teams at lunch:

Varsity:
DCC A 6-0
Culver 5-0
DCC B 4-1

Frosh Soph:
DCC A 5-0
Culver A 5-0
Northmont 4-1
pblessman
Rikku

Post by pblessman »

Live updates of standings are regularly being posted at: bit.ly/CulverQB

Current Standings:

Varsity:
DCC A 7-0
Culver A 6-0
Harrison A 5-2

Frosh/Soph:
DCC A 6-0
Culver A 6-0
Northmont 5-1
pblessman
Rikku

Post by pblessman »

Thanks to all teams for a great tournament! We finished thirteen rounds by 4:45 pm! Results below:

[*][*]Varsity:
DCC A finished the round robin 10-0, Culver 9-1. Culver won the first game of the advantaged before losing the second game. Congrats to DCC A!

Frosh Soph:
DCC A was 11-0 and finished two games ahead of the rest of the field. Congrats to the DCC Frosh/Soph team as well!

Full results and stats are at:

http://bit.ly/CulverQB