Starting a new team

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
Verbman
Kimahri

Starting a new team

Post by Verbman »

To whom it may concern,
A friend and I, both over achievers and honor students, are attempting to start an academic team at our school in Massachusetts. We were hoping for a few pointers or tips concerning this endeavor. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
ChopinManiac
Lulu

Post by ChopinManiac »

The first and foremost piece of advice that I can give you concerning starting a new team is to find a coach/sponser who is willing, enthusiastic and able to put in the time needed for your team. In tenth grade at my school I had to find a new JV coach to have a team and in doing so, found a great new teacher who has supported our jv (and now varsity) team in any way that he can. I cannot tell you how difficult it would be to try and go to tournaments or even practice without his help. Anyways, find a good coach and you will have a good team.
solonqb
Rikku

Post by solonqb »

Check this highly relevant article out.

http://naqt.com/HowTo/start-a-high-school-team.html

Your closest major university holding a HS tournament would probably be Yale (i don't know whether Harvard and/or MIT do high school stuff, i don't think so)
Noah Rahman
Welcome to Simbabwe, where the property is already owned and the houses built and you compete to burn and dispossess them. Compete with Robert Mugabe, Canaan Banana, Cecil Rhodes and Sir Godfrey Huggins to earn a place on the all-time EU travel ban list!
jewtemplar
Wakka

Post by jewtemplar »

ChopinManiac wrote:Anyways, find a good coach and you will have a good team.
Find kids who enjoy learning and you'll have a better team. Such kids also do much to convince reluctant prospective sponsors.
David Riley
Auron

Post by David Riley »

Verbman: I would also check with coacches from Vermont and New Hampshire, they have a well-organized quiz bowl circuit (not sure that Massachusetts does). Send me an email [email protected] I can give you more information.