Fall Novice at University of Waterloo, 2011-10-15

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
nobthehobbit
Rikku

Fall Novice at University of Waterloo, 2011-10-15

Post by nobthehobbit »

This tournament is currently in progress.

Round-robin results

Overall results
Daniel Pareja, Waterloo, Canadian quizbowl iconoclast

Stats zombie.
William Lyon Mackenzie King wrote:There are few men in this Parliament for whom I have greater respect than the leader of the Co-operative Commonwealth Federation. I admire him in my heart, because time and again he has had the courage to say what lays on his conscience, regardless of what the world might think of him. A man of that calibre is an ornament to any Parliament.
nobthehobbit
Rikku

Re: Fall Novice at University of Waterloo, 2011-10-15

Post by nobthehobbit »

Congratulations to Centennial for winning the 2011 Fall Novice at Waterloo.

Stats zombie.
William Lyon Mackenzie King wrote:There are few men in this Parliament for whom I have greater respect than the leader of the Co-operative Commonwealth Federation. I admire him in my heart, because time and again he has had the courage to say what lays on his conscience, regardless of what the world might think of him. A man of that calibre is an ornament to any Parliament.
Masked Canadian History Bandit
Rikku

Post by Masked Canadian History Bandit »

What was the rationale for the playoff format used? Couldn't you have accommodated a double round robin with advantaged finals easily?
Patrick Liao
Lisgar Collegiate Institute 2011, University of Pennsylvania 2015, University of Toronto Faculty of Law 2019
nobthehobbit
Rikku

Post by nobthehobbit »

Monocle wrote:What was the rationale for the playoff format used? Couldn't you have accommodated a double round robin with advantaged finals easily?
The tournament director made the call that in the interest of time some sort of playoff would be played after the initial round-robin; the decision was made to use a 5-team McIntyre playoff.

Stats zombie.
Rikku

nobthehobbit wrote:
Monocle wrote:What was the rationale for the playoff format used? Couldn't you have accommodated a double round robin with advantaged finals easily?
The tournament director made the call that in the interest of time some sort of playoff would be played after the initial round-robin; the decision was made to use a 5-team McIntyre playoff.
If you started at 9 and had 12 35-minute rounds, the tournament could have ended at 5. Did your reservations not extend to then?
Patrick Liao
Lisgar Collegiate Institute 2011, University of Pennsylvania 2015, University of Toronto Faculty of Law 2019
nobthehobbit
Rikku

Post by nobthehobbit »

Monocle wrote:
nobthehobbit wrote:
If you started at 9 and had 12 35-minute rounds, the tournament could have ended at 5. Did your reservations not extend to then?
I was not involved in the planning of this tournament; I merely helped keep stats.

Stats zombie.
the third garrideb
Wakka

Post by the third garrideb »

Monocle wrote:
nobthehobbit wrote:
The original plan was such. But, we didn't start at 9 and our rounds ran for longer than 35 minutes and one of the teams had to leave early. So basically, stuff happened and it was dealt with in a manner agreeable to all involved.
Huma Zafar
University of Waterloo alumna
Mike Bentley
Sin

Post by Mike Bentley »

Was this tournament restricted just to novice players or were all players eligible to attend?

Edit: Also, is there a place besides HSQB where this tournament was announced?
Mike Bentley
Treasurer, Partnership for Academic Competition Excellence
Adviser, Quizbowl Team at University of Washington
University of Maryland, Class of 2008
Rikku

Mike Bentley wrote:Was this tournament restricted just to novice players or were all players eligible to attend?

Edit: Also, is there a place besides HSQB where this tournament was announced?
It was restricted. That's why Woburn was 1-man and one of the top Centennial players (40-ish ppg on IS, 20-ish PPG on Moon Pie) did not play.

This was listed on the ONQBA website and widely promoted on Ontario trivia Facebook groups.
Patrick Liao
p-vs-vp
Lulu

Post by p-vs-vp »

the third garrideb wrote:
Monocle wrote:
nobthehobbit wrote:
The original plan was such. But, we didn't start at 9 and our rounds ran for longer than 35 minutes and one of the teams had to leave early. So basically, stuff happened and it was dealt with in a manner agreeable to all involved.
This.
Further inquiries may be directed at me.
Mike Bentley wrote: Edit: Also, is there a place besides HSQB where this tournament was announced?
There was actually no hsqb announcement until the actual event. Most of our advertising was done through Facebook and emailing known team contacts.
Arjun Sondhi
VP of Public Relations, Leslie's Miscellaneous Treats
University of Washington, 2014-present
University of Waterloo, 2009-2014

"Can you dance like a hippogriff?
Ma ma ma, ma ma ma, ma ma ma"

But I WANT to be stupid!
Classical>>>Current
Lulu

Post by Classical>>>Current »

Woburn was one-man due to SSAT preparations. Next year, there should be a full 4-man team.
Sunanthan Sivakumar
Woburn Collegiate Institute '14
University of Toronto