04-05 Alabama Teams

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
Golden Tiger 86
Tidus

Post by Golden Tiger 86 »

Yeah, even though it was a 15 minute ride, I really didn't like using Muscle Shoals as the host for the state tournament, and I am glad they moved it to a more central location. Lee, I'm sorry you got put in that suicide region, but maybe your kids can come through.
Slade Gilmer, 2004 Graduate of THE Russellville High School, 2009 Graduate of THE University of North Alabama
quizbowllee
Auron

Post by quizbowllee »

Well... One good thing is this year ASCA added a "Small Schools" tournament. If we can win it, we will automatically qualify for Regionals. Fortunately, we are a very tiny (1A) school with a graduating class of around a dozen...

Also, we are public and non-magnet. This qualifies us for the Small Schools tournament. Are there any other 1A-3A public, non-magnet schools in Alabama that might be able to beat us? I'm not too sure myself as I'm not really familiar with what schools will be eligible for that tournament.

-Lee
Lee Henry
AP Lit and APUSH Teacher
Quiz Bowl Coach
West Point High School
President-Elect/Past President- Alabama Scholastic Competition Association (ASCA)
Golden Tiger 86
Tidus

Public, non-magnet schools that are 1A-3A with scholars bowl teams are fairly rare in Alabama. Now, at district, we would have a bunch of small schools compete, but they were generally weak, because a lot of the players just did it to add to their college applications. So, to answer your question, no I don't think there is anyone in 1A-3A that will beat you guys. I do know that the last 4 years, a 6A school won the state title 3 times (Grissom), another 6A was in 3rd one year and 4th the other (Bob Jones), yet another 6A was in fourth twice (Daphne), a 5A school was in second 3 times and third another (Russellville), a magnet school won it and came in 4th (LAMP), and a 3A private school finished second once and third once (Indian Springs).
Slade Gilmer, 2004 Graduate of THE Russellville High School, 2009 Graduate of THE University of North Alabama
quizbowllee
Auron

Post by quizbowllee »

The only team that I know will be at the Small Schools tournament that I am even remotely worried about is TR Miller.

I'm also concerned because the question writer for the ASCA Small Schools Tournament is the same as who wrote this year's Middle School Questions. And from what I've seen, they are the worst questions EVER!

They actually make me long for Patrick's Press and/or Triple Q!!!
Lee Henry
AP Lit and APUSH Teacher
Quiz Bowl Coach
West Point High School
President-Elect/Past President- Alabama Scholastic Competition Association (ASCA)
DVader
Wakka

Post by DVader »

Speaking of questions, does anyone know who is writing the questions for the regular ASCA high school tournament this year?
David John Gagne,
University of Oklahoma
steven-lamp
Rikku

Post by steven-lamp »

IIRC, it will be Jim Garrick (former Dorman coach) again. They were pretty good last year. As long as it doesn't go back to Patrick's Press I'll be happy.
ASimPerson
Rikku

Post by ASimPerson »

I will eschew district and regional discussion - I've been railing against this for years. (Seriously, a a 4 game regional is pointless, at least in my opinion.)

However, about the Birmingham area schools, I think someone hit the spot when they said they were lazy. They've been cleaning up in state math team for years (esp. Vestavia), but they have always been bad at QB. If they put some effort into I'd imagine they'd be good, though.
Nick Bendler, Georgia Tech '06
Moderator emeritus
quizbowllee
Auron

Post by quizbowllee »

Looks like there might be some interesting things happening this weekend. 3 of our apparant top 5 teams will be at Bob Jones for an ASCA-format tournament: Brindlee Mountain, Indian Springs, and Covenant Christian will all be there.

I think that there is also a tournament at Bryant High in Tuscaloosa. Who's going to it? Let us know what happens there.

-Lee
Lee Henry
AP Lit and APUSH Teacher
Quiz Bowl Coach
West Point High School
steven-lamp
Rikku

Post by steven-lamp »

We're going to the Tuscaloosa one. Jay and I can't afford to miss more than the previously alotted number of days at school, so we couldn't travel up to Bob Jones.
quizbowllee
Auron

Post by quizbowllee »

Results from Bob Jones:

1st - Indian Springs
2nd - Covenant Christian
3rd - Brindlee Mountain
4th - Arab

Indian Springs and Covenant Christian were both at full strength. We (Brindlee Mountain) were missing our Sports, Music, and Science guy (strange combo of strengths...). CCA barely beat us, and I believe we would've won had Mark (our aforementioned player) been with us (I know, I know... excuses, excuses...)

At any rate, the drop off between 3rd and 4th was huge. We played Arab in the prelims and beat them pretty bad. Then, in the consolation, we beat them 310-100.

I'm not sure what the score was in the Championship between Springs and CCA, but I think I overheard someone say that Springs won by around 50 or 60...

At any rate, this doesn't do a whole lot to clarify the top five, which I still perceive to be (again in no order):

LAMP
ASFA
CCA
Brindlee Mountain
Indian Springs

Also, our next tournament is the ASCA small schools, where we will be the only one of these five present. Following that, our next tournament will be ASCA district where we will play Grissom and CCA...

-Lee
Lee Henry
AP Lit and APUSH Teacher
Quiz Bowl Coach
West Point High School
ASimPerson
Rikku

Post by ASimPerson »

Do you know where Bob Jones got their questions this year? (Two years ago, we wrote them, last year my brother and I rewrote them, so I'm somewhat curious.)
Moderator emeritus
DVader
Wakka

Post by DVader »

I think they wrote their own again this year actually. No idea how good they were though.
David John Gagne,
University of Oklahoma
quizbowllee
Auron

Post by quizbowllee »

Results from today's ASCA Small Schools State Championship:

1st - Brindlee Mountain
2nd - TR Miller
3rd - South Lamar
4th - Hanceville

The only even remotely close match we had was the championship match, which we clinched after tossup 4 or 5 in period four...

This means that even if we lose to CCA and Grissom at District, we at least will have a bye into Regionals.

-Lee
Lee Henry
AP Lit and APUSH Teacher
Quiz Bowl Coach
West Point High School
quizbowllee
Auron

Post by quizbowllee »

Well... It appears that everyone in Alabama has been dead for the last month... Maybe I can pick up the conversation. As you all know, ASCA District tournaments are held on Friday. I have the list of district assignments. Who do you predict will qualify for regionals from each site? Which site(s) seem the toughest/weakest?

Site Unknown:
1) Baker High School
2) Baldwin County
3) Bayside Academy
4) Daphne
5) Escambia
6) Fairhope
7) Foley
8) Greenville
9) St. Paul's Episcopal
10) TR Miller
11) UMS - Wright

Central Alabama CC
1) Benjamin Russell High
2) Chambers Academy
3) Chilton County
4) Dadeville
5) Handley
6) Lanett
7) Lee-Scott Academy
8) Lyman Ward Academy
9) Opelika
10) Reeltown
11) Springwood
12) Sylacauga
13) Tallassee
14) Valley
15) Woodland

Bevill State CC
1) American Christian
2) Central-Tuscaloosa
3) Cordova
4) Gordo
5) Holy Spirit
6) Northridge
7) Paul Bryant
8) Pickens County
9) Sumiton
10) Brookwood
11) Lamar County
12) South Lamar

Gadsden State CC
1) Donoho
2) Emma Sansom
3) Fort Payne
4) Gadsden
5) Jacksonville
6) Pell City
7) Plainview
8) Sand Rock
9) Southside
10) Westbrook Christian

John C. Calhoun CC
1) Athens Bible
2) Athens High
3) Austin
4) Bob Jones
5) Buckhorn
6) Decatur
7) East Lawrence
8) East Limestone
9) Hazel Green
10) Rogers
11) Sparkman
12) West Limestone

Jefferson State CC
1) ASFA
2) Altamont
3) Briarwood
4) Hoover
5) Indian Springs
6) JCIB
7) Minor
8) Oak Mountain
9) Pelham
10) Shelby County
11) Spain Park
12) Vestavia Hills

Wallace State CC - Dothan
1) Central - Phenix City
2) Enterprise
3) Headland
4) Houston Academy
5) Houston County
6) LAMP
7) Luverne

Wallace State CC - Hanceville
1) Arab
2) Cullman
3) Hartselle
4) Hillcrest
5) Susan Moore
6) West Point
7) Winston County

Northwest Shoals CC
1) Belgreen
2) Colbert Heights
3) Deshler
4) Fayette
5) Florence
6) Hamilton
7) Lamar County
8) Muscle Shoals
9) Red Bay
10) Russellville
11) Sheffield
12) Shoals Christian
13) Wilson High

Snead State CC
1) Albertville
2) Brindlee Mountain
3) Catholic High - Huntsville
4) Covenant Christian Academy
5) Grissom
6) Guntersville
7) Randolph
8) Woodville

What do you guys think?
Lee Henry
AP Lit and APUSH Teacher
Quiz Bowl Coach
West Point High School
DVader
Wakka

Post by DVader »

I think my team has a pretty good chance of making it out of district, along with Hoover and Indian Springs, and a the rest I'm not so sure about. My former team should be able to make it to regionals. And Lee, I think your team'll do well but y'all will have to fight for it a bit. BTW, can you report on Grissom's performance there. That's one thing a few Alabama teams are a little curious about.
David John Gagne,
University of Oklahoma
Golden Tiger 86
Tidus

If I were to guess, I would say that my old home district will have Florence, Muscle Shoals, Russellville (although I don't think they will have enough to go to regional), and Shoals Christian. Of course, my old region is quite possibly the weakest in the state (although you could make a case for the Bevill State district), while the Snead and Jeff State regionals look to be the toughest. Beyond that, I really have no clue what to think of my home state.

P.S. Lee, why is Lamar County in both the NWSCC and the Bevill district?
Neel6989
Lulu

Post by Neel6989 »

Well....looks like I'm the first Grissom poster on here for this year. Not quite sure what to say but good luck to all teams at district. :smile:
ASimPerson
Rikku

Post by ASimPerson »

Golden Tiger 86 wrote:P.S. Lee, why is Lamar County in both the NWSCC and the Bevill district?
That's ASCA for ya :/
Moderator emeritus
DVader
Wakka

Post by DVader »

Results for Jeff State District:
Pool A:
1. Oak Mountain
2. Pelham
3. Hoover
Pool B:
1. Indian Springs
2. Vestavia Hills
3. JCIB
Alternate:
ASFA

This shocking turn of events happened because we got owned by Springs in the first round, lost to Vestavia by 2 questions in the second, and lost to JCIB by 5 pts in the last game. Since JCIB and we had 2-3 records, the tiebreaker went to head to head and they won. On a side note, I'm not going to make anymore tournament predictions for a very long time.
David John Gagne,
University of Oklahoma
quizbowllee
Auron

Post by quizbowllee »

Sorry, David. Did the top 3 from both pools move on? 6 from one district is a lot...

As for the dreaded district we went to... Grissom won.

I've never seen my kids play as well as they did and still lose. We had Grissom for a good while, but they pulled out in the 15 pointers. Covenant Christian stomped us... Randolph beat Grissom. This was a shocker. Then, Randolph squeaked by us... So:

1st - Grissom (6-1) 349 ppg
2nd - Covenant Christian (6-1) 329 ppg
3rd - Randolph (6-1) 270 ppg

Alternate: Brindlee Mountain (4-3) 290 ppg

Luckily, we have an automatic bid into regionals due to the ASCA Small Schools Tournament...

The Snead District is ridiculus. Geography is one thing, but common sense should dictate the inherent unfairness of having that many great teams in one district - especially if said district only has one pool. The same can obviously be argued for the B'ham district (at least this year). However, at least in B'ham there are two pools. There are too many districts that are a complete joke...

Anyway, enough of my ranting. I have continuously predicted my top teams in the state.... I don't think that Randolph is one of the top 4. They barely beat Grissom... but I really think that was a fluke. They beat us because my kids heard that they beat Grissom and freaked out... We had more points than Randolph, and we came VERY close to beating Grissom as well.

So, my top ten (now in order as I see it based not only on today, but on everything I have seen so far this year):

1) Grissom (yes, they lost to Randolph, but I was more impressed with them than with anyone else I have seen this year.)
2) Covenant Christian (they have now beaten us 3 times. One was on a tie-breaker, one was by a single question, and one was a complete stomping)
3) LAMP (2-0 against us. They have also beaten some of the other teams on this list at least a few times)
4) Brindlee Mountain (OK - I'm biased. But I still think there's a good case here, especially since we are 3-0 against Indian Springs)
5) Indian Springs (Self explanatory)
6) ASFA (Caught a terribly tough break today)
7) Randolph (Got incredibly lucky today. Don't get me wrong - they are very good. Anyone that can beat Grissom deserves a top ranking)
8) Oak Mountain (we have KILLED Oak Mountain the 2 times we have played them this year, but they somehow keep beating teams that I consider to be a lot better than them...)
9) Hoover (We've played Hoover twice. Once they beat us. Once we beat them. However, when we beat them, we REALLY beat them.)
10) Vestavia Hills (For a first year team to be this good, they deserve the ranking)

Anyway, feel free to discuss. My ranking is completely my own thoughts based on what I have seen this year. I do not intend to make anyone angry over this. Also, I am somewhat biased towards Brindlee Mountain... I'd love to say that they are #1, but after today I know that's not the case (at least not in ASCA).

Thoughts? Comments? Rotten tomatoes? I wanna hear from you!

-Lee
Lee Henry
AP Lit and APUSH Teacher
Quiz Bowl Coach
West Point High School
Neel6989
Lulu

Post by Neel6989 »

Randolph beat us by a little, we almost came back but fell short...mostly my fault for missing a very clutch 9th question in round four.(I said Roger Moore instead of Michael Moore) I was quite impressed with our own performance against CCA; we were having a VERY good match.

By the way, how many teams advance from Regionals and where is Regionals?
Last edited by Neel6989 on Fri Feb 18, 2005 6:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ithinkiamsteven
Lulu

ASCA district

Post by ithinkiamsteven »

Well I'm the second Grissom poster this year. Now that we've actually made an appearance at a competition this year I guess I can post. I'd really prefer it if we went to more invitationals and such, but we have conflicts sometimes, and then our coach is not the best about signing us up for a lot of things.

"Dreaded district" is right. The ASCA districts are definitley unfair, since virtually all the good teams are in two districts (Snead and Jeff St.) and then there are a whole lot of pointless districts.

I was a bit surprised by how things went today. If I'd been told we'd lose to one team at district I would have guessed CCA, and definitely not randolph. However, they appear to have a decent team this year, although the blame for that loss goes squarely on us. We definitely choked, though. They beat us in the first two rounds, but it was still fairly close. We did some major catching up on the worksheet and the 15 point round. We would've had it won if we'd correctly answered either of the last two, but we gave the infamous Roger instead of Michael Moore, then a 49.7 instead of 497 (or something like that). So we underestimated randolph, had a bad round, and basically beat ourselves. Brindlee Mountain was actually our next closest match, even though it didn't seem as close while it was going on, afterwards I realize it was only a 20-pt. gap going into the last round. The shocker was our mauling of CCA, which is a very good team. Last year we were able to beat them most of the time (but not all) and so i was expecting a much closer match. I don't really know what happened but we just had a really awesome round. The top three to advance weren't that surprising, however. I would have predicted us, CCA, and probably Brindlee Mtn., randolph was unexpected. Anyway, hopefully we'll do more improving before regionals and (hopefully) state. I have no idea how we stack up to Indian Springs, LAMP, the birminham teams, etc.
steven-lamp
Rikku

Post by steven-lamp »

I wasn't at Regionals, but LAMP went undefeated and is advancing. I'm not sure who else from that region is advancing. I'm disappointed that Brindlee and ASFA got the shaft... That's really, really unfortunate. NAQT states are around the corner, though, and I think that probably has more national weight, anyhow. Is Randolph's academic bowl team the same as their science bowl team? If so, I can understand how they could have performed well. Our science bowl team played them at regionals and they ended up winning it, although we beat them in the prelims.
ASimPerson
Rikku

Post by ASimPerson »

Randolph has always been good on occassion. But I agree with the above when I say that the districts are not nearly as well set up as they could be (I've been saying this for years, but hey).

The big question is, what would be a better system? (The answer probably is "the good teams all need to go to the state NAQT tournament at Bevill, but hey.)
Moderator emeritus
alch2
Lulu

Post by alch2 »

is ben jedlovic (or something) playing for grissom this year?
Golden Tiger 86
Tidus

I'm with everyone on Districts. Unfortunately, in some cases (i.e. the Shoals), there are no really good teams, but to get it promoted there, many undeserving teams get to move on, while good teams like ASFA are punished for being in Birmingham. With that said, good luck to those advancing, sounds like this could be a fun year in Alabama.
Neel6989
Lulu

Post by Neel6989 »

alch2 wrote:is ben jedlovic (or something) playing for grissom this year?
Yes, he is. May I ask why?
alch2
Lulu

Post by alch2 »

naw, just heard about him from one of my friends at your school. heh. how is he?
NRLYAGODD
Lulu

Post by NRLYAGODD »

quizbowllee wrote:
10) Vestavia Hills (For a first year team to be this good, they deserve the ranking)
First year team? Do you mean ASCA or? I know I played with my captain them my Sr. year (two years ago) at Clay Chalkville Invitational. I remember they had this one freshman who was pretty fast, but not very knowledgeable. The captain and I agreed that if he worked on it, they'd be pretty good. Maybe ASCA should consider giving out X amounts of at large bids each year. I dunno.
quizbowllee
Auron

Post by quizbowllee »

Yes - I meant first year in ASCA. The team captain this year is a Junior, I believe. Pizitz Middle School - Vestavia's feeder - has been VERY strong the last several years, and when they moved on to high school, most of them stuck with the game. They are definately turning some haeds this year and will continue to get much better.

Concerning at-large bids: I made the suggestion a few years ago that a good thing to do would be to give automatic state bids to the top four teams each year. That idea got shot down. I still think it would be a great idea, though. Those teams could still compete at District and Regionals. However, teams that are stuck in districts with perennial powerhouses, like Grissom, would also have a chance to make it to at least regionals.
Lee Henry
AP Lit and APUSH Teacher
Quiz Bowl Coach
West Point High School
steven-lamp
Rikku

Post by steven-lamp »

I think it probably got shot down because it's hard to determine which teams are the "top 4." I think the ASCA folks are just set in their ways and, quite frankly, I think Alabama won't get a whole lot stronger until ASCA steps it up a little bit.
quizbowllee
Auron

Post by quizbowllee »

I meant the top four at the state tournament. For example: Grissom, Russellville, Bob Jones, and LAMP (last year's top 4) would all get automatic bids to state this year. That would open up another regional spot for the districts that have these strong teams.

I'm not really sure why so many people at the ASCA convention were against this... They were discussing a way to get more mid-to-weak level teams involved and excited about ASCA... It seems to me that giving more opportunities for those teams to get out of district is the way to go. This year's Small Schools Tournament is a step in the right direction, but more drastic actions need to take place.
Lee Henry
AP Lit and APUSH Teacher
Quiz Bowl Coach
West Point High School
Mr. Brindlee Mountain
Lulu

Post by Mr. Brindlee Mountain »

steven-lamp wrote:... I'm disappointed that Brindlee and ASFA got the shaft... That's really, really unfortunate...
Just in case you didn't know - I wanted to say for the record that Brindlee Mountain will definitely be going to Regionals at Arab High School this year. Although we did get a tough deal at the regular ASCA district tournament, we still qualify by default from our ASCA Small Schools (1A-3A) State Championship.
We complain about it a lot, but eventually someone is going to have to step up and appeal to the ASCA board of directors to regroup the districts by school size and team record, not geography. I don't think it would be unfair gerrymandering, I believe it would allow deserving teams like BMHS and ASFA to progress to regionals, which (along with State, of course) is the only tournament that should be based on geography.

By the way - welcome to the world, Grissom! Great job at District, that was a really good round we had. You should try to make more appearances throughout the year. You guys are kind of like a "mystery team" to most of us. Good luck at Regionals, we'll see you there, and hopefully we'll have a good rematch. :smile:
~ Mr. Brindlee Mountain High School 2004-2005 (Myles Teston)
NRLYAGODD
Lulu

Post by NRLYAGODD »

Ultimately though, it's not who got shafted where in which district, it should be about who makes their mark at state. I'm not sure how strong ASFA is this year, but having finished fourth in their pool at any district, I question whether they were going to make a run at state. But I know David is gonna work on his game and maybe bring his team back next year.
Neel6989
Lulu

Post by Neel6989 »

NRLYAGODD wrote:Ultimately though, it's not who got shafted where in which district, it should be about who makes their mark at state. I'm not sure how strong ASFA is this year, but having finished fourth in their pool at any district, I question whether they were going to make a run at state. But I know David is gonna work on his game and maybe bring his team back next year.
So it brings up the question: Is ASCA trying to determine what rank every team is or only which team is the best? I assume they're doing the latter to decide which team to send to nationals.
DVader
Wakka

Post by DVader »

District was by far our worst performance of the year, considering our 3 firsts, 2 seconds, and 1 third and two bids to PACE nationals. We played hard (we did have a 100 on one worksheet, a 400 point game, and the second highest point total in our pool) but missed crucial questions in close games that could have easily gone our way. In the end we were in a tough pool but one that we should have been able to come out of high based on our past performance. It was our fault that we lost and not ASCA's and all we can do now is learn from our mistakes and prepare for Huntsville City and PACE and next year. We'll definitely make a run for state then since the core of our team will still be fully intact next year.
David John Gagne,
University of Oklahoma
quizbowllee
Auron

Post by quizbowllee »

I had ASFA down as a major force in ASCA this year. They are the best team I had seen so far (prior to district) on shorter, non-pyramidal style questions... At least when they played us.

On another note, I thought David was a Senior... so that definately changes the way I thought things might go next year.

To Grissom: Are you going to NAQT State? Snead Invite?

I REALLY want to see my kids play against you on NAQT-style questions. That's where our strength lies.

-Lee
Lee Henry
AP Lit and APUSH Teacher
Quiz Bowl Coach
West Point High School
steven-lamp
Rikku

Post by steven-lamp »

Who's going to the ASFA tournament this Saturday? We'll be there with two teams...
DVader
Wakka

Post by DVader »

My coach emailed out a list with all the teams on it this afternoon to all the coaches. There are going to be 24 teams total. I know Covenant, LAMP, Springs, Hoover, Vestavia, Catholic, Austin, Mountain Brook, Oak Mountain, Holy Spirit, St. Claire County, Vincent, Hartselle, Opelika, Decatur, and a few other schools.
David John Gagne,
University of Oklahoma
quizbowllee
Auron

Post by quizbowllee »

We'll be at ASFA.
Lee Henry
AP Lit and APUSH Teacher
Quiz Bowl Coach
West Point High School
quizbowllee
Auron

Post by quizbowllee »

Snead State CC hosted a small invitational today:

1st - Brindlee Mountain A
2nd - Arab
3rd - Albertville
4th - Brindlee Mountain B

The questions were written by the Snead State CC team and were excellent. I thought that they were some of the best questions I have heard all year. There were absolutely no "hoses," there was a perfect distribution across the curriculum - and just the right amount of "trash" thrown in. If only ASCA would consider allowing them to write our questions...
Lee Henry
AP Lit and APUSH Teacher
Quiz Bowl Coach
West Point High School
ASimPerson
Rikku

Post by ASimPerson »

quizbowllee wrote:The questions were written by the Snead State CC team and were excellent. I thought that they were some of the best questions I have heard all year. There were absolutely no "hoses," there was a perfect distribution across the curriculum - and just the right amount of "trash" thrown in. If only ASCA would consider allowing them to write our questions...
If this is true, this is a gigantic improvement over their questions in the past, which were usually the worst questions of the year. (Also, their invitational used to be in April...)
Moderator emeritus
Golden Tiger 86
Tidus

Ditto. Their questions used to consist of "What sound does the chachalacka bird make?" and "What was the nickname of <insert incredibly obscure '30s era actor or actress here>?" and "Who won the 1937 Best Supporting Actress Oscar."
quizbowllee
Auron

Post by quizbowllee »

Well, this time the questions were mainly pyramidal, and completely answerable to just about any decent team by the end.

They are also hosting another invitational at Snead on April 1 that is using an NAQT IS set.
Lee Henry
AP Lit and APUSH Teacher
Quiz Bowl Coach
West Point High School
Golden Tiger 86
Tidus

I'm glad to hear that the questions are better than they were, because any tournament that has "Stupid Answers" as a category at any time, especially in the 15-point round, sucks at life. Maybe they got another question writer.
quizbowllee
Auron

Post by quizbowllee »

Here are the Regional Assignments:

Holy Spirit - Tuscaloosa
Bryant High School
Muscle Shoals
Cordova
Central - Tuscaloosa
Belgreen
Florence
Fayette
Holy Spirit
Hillcrest
Northridge
Red Bay
Sheffield
South Lamar
American Christian Academy

Baldwin Middle School - Montgomery
LAMP
Central - Phenix City
Foley
TR Miller
Baker
Northview
St. Paul's
Benjamin Russell
Springwood
Dadeville
Bayside Academy
Lee-Scott Academy

Rainbow City Middle School - Gadsden
Jacksonville
Etowah
Southside
Gadsden
Oak Mountain
Hoover
Indian Springs
Vestavia Hills
JCIB
Handley
Pelham
Sylacauga

Arab Junior High - Arab
Grissom
Brindlee Mountain
Randolph
Covenant Christian
Cullman
Hanceville
Athens Bible
Sparkman
Bob Jones
Athens High
West Limestone
Austin High

What do you think? It seems that 2 of these regions are a little tougher than the other 2...
Lee Henry
AP Lit and APUSH Teacher
Quiz Bowl Coach
West Point High School
alch2
Lulu

Post by alch2 »

i think, in the end, northern teams in alabama dominate the southern teams, so by the time states roll around, those in tougher (gadsden/arab) divisions end up doing better, usually placing around 5 of the top 6 spots. I think that the extra preparation may help; at the end of the day, the ones who do survive the tougher regionals benefit, though admittedly there are problems with the number of "good" teams in each region.
Golden Tiger 86
Tidus

I think the final 16 will be

Tuscaloosa district;
South Lamar
Holy Spirit
Muscle Shoals
Florence

Montgomery district:
LAMP
TR Miller
Baker
St. Paul's

Gadsden district:
Hoover
Indian Springs
Vestavia
JCIB

Arab district:
Grissom
CCA
Brindlee Mountain
Randolph

Of course, this is assuming that the four teams I post do not somehow end up in the same pool...
quizbowllee
Auron

Post by quizbowllee »

Yes, Slade... In a perfect world, that would be the top 16. However, the odds of all of those teams being distributed in pools that will allow that is slim. Someone (probably us) is going to get screwed over...
Lee Henry
AP Lit and APUSH Teacher
Quiz Bowl Coach
West Point High School
Golden Tiger 86
Tidus

yeah, sadly, in Alabama, it could end up something like:

Tuscaloosa:
South Lamar
Holy Spirit
Muscle Shoals
Florence

Montgomery:
LAMP
TR Miller
Baker
St. Paul's

Gadsden:
Southside
Oak Mountain
Hoover
Indian Springs

Arab:
Grissom
CCA
Cullman
Athens

In this, Grissom, CCA, Brindlee Mtn., Randolph, Sparkman, and Bob Jones are put in one pool, while the rest are in another...