04-05 Alabama Teams

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
AndyShootsAndyScores
Yuna

Post by AndyShootsAndyScores »

To ask a question, who all from any of the final four teams are seniors and will be graduating this year? By the way, I have changed my account from Follower of Mr. BrindleeM to this one.
Andy Knowles
Brindlee Mountain, '08
University of Alabama, '12
Mr. Brindlee Mountain
Lulu

Post by Mr. Brindlee Mountain »

Hey, I have to agree with everyone who denounced mathematics in typical ASCA rounds. However, I may be a little biased because I am originally from Florida (surely you all know how much trouble we native Floridians have with counting stuff).

I can identify with ithinkiamsteven's assertion of teamwork. At Brindlee Mountain, we're a little bit different. Instead of working together each and every round, we tend to alternate the position of tossup quarterback every round. It seems like at every tournament all four of us will have one round where we will rock out the individual scores. It is a very rare occasion if you will see a BMHS player in the top 4. We share the tossup points pretty evenly.

I would love to just come out and assert that BMHS is the best team in the State, but I think we've shown that although we're not bad for a 1st year team, we still have a little ways to go before we start bringing home major titles.

Again, congrats to ISS, Grissom, and LAMP. We didn't get the chance to play Springs... we were too busy getting bumped on down to fourth place by Grissom and LAMP. Hopefully my freshman compadres will be ready to give the big boys more of a challenge by next year.
~ Mr. Brindlee Mountain High School 2004-2005 (Myles Teston)
Mr. Brindlee Mountain
Lulu

To: Grissom, Indian Springs, LAMP, CCA, ASFA and any other team represented on this board...

I hope to get to play you guys at high school level one more time before I graduate. Do you guys know yet if you'll be attending NAQT State on April 23rd?
JBSprings
Lulu

Post by JBSprings »

ithinkiamsteven wrote:Alright, I guess I have one more thing to clarify:
First and foremost, I never said that Evan was "without support" or that the other ISS players were "non-players" - I said that Slade was almost entirely without support, which is accurate. Evan certainly got some support, as I noted that his team was able to win state since he got some "help" or support from his teammates. What i meant was that we were generally more balanced in who answered questions than teams that have one extremely nt player, such as Indian Springs. I think all four of our players usually answered at least one tossup, usually more, in most games, which for many teams is not the case.
I didn't mean to offend anyone, and Springs deserved the championship they won. Congrats and good luck at the Panasonic, it's fun.
No offense taken--I was a bit vituperative. I guess Evan does tend to dominate; I answer around four tossups a match, usually one-third to one-half Evan's total. But give credit where credit is due--our team has made respectable showings without Evan (we lost to Brindlee Mountain by one question with me captaining). Evan is definitely the literature and history guy, which pretty much puts him at the head of the team. He slacks in science, which is Jenna's and sometimes my domain, with Felix for Biology. But there's a lot of knowledge-base duplication. It'll be intersting to see who steps up when Evan's gone--I think our underclassmen have potential.

Yours vituperatively,

James
Last edited by JBSprings on Mon Apr 11, 2005 11:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JBSprings
Lulu

Post by JBSprings »

Mr. Brindlee Mountain wrote:To: Grissom, Indian Springs, LAMP, CCA, ASFA and any other team represented on this board...

I hope to get to play you guys at high school level one more time before I graduate. Do you guys know yet if you'll be attending NAQT State on April 23rd?
We're planning on being there (so our coach tells us)--looking forward to playing y'all. I don't think we've ever played you with a full team; I really want to.

James
Neel6989
Lulu

Post by Neel6989 »

Oh yeah, and when you go to epcot, DO NOT ride the Norway ride. It had a 45 minute line and the ride lasted a good 2 minutes.
DVader
Wakka

Post by DVader »

Congrats to Indian Springs for their victory at ASCA State and to all the teams who made it there. For my 2 cents on the debates, I think math is good in limited quantities. Scholars Bowl math usually isn't that hard and tests players' knowledge of mathematical concepts, which is an important part of the general curriculum. Personally, I prefer math questions where knowing the concept is vital to getting the answer (derivatives for instance) as opposed to having to do lots of long arithmetic in order to get the answer, but that's just me and I'm not the main math person on the team. ASFA, as I've said before, won't be able to attend NAQT State due to the conflict with our prom.
David John Gagne,
University of Oklahoma
DVader
Wakka

Post by DVader »

I enjoyed that ride, although you should invest your line time in Test Track and Mission Space, IMHO. I haven't gotten to ride Mission Space yet though, but I've heard it's awesome.
David John Gagne,
University of Oklahoma
Trevkeeper
Tidus

Post by Trevkeeper »

Haha, after riding on Mission Space, I had to go back to our hotel, as I was feeling a bit too nauseous. I think what scared me the most about that ride was right before you got on, with that voice telling you over and over: "If you are prone to motion sickness, do not take this ride. If you are prone to *insert random inhibition*, do not take this ride." THAT is what scared me the most.

And sorry for the way off topid post.

Oh, and I didn't do Test Track, I'm a bit of a scaredy cat. I did Millionaire Play It! at MGM though. And a surprisingly fun ride was the Buzz Lightyear one at Magic Kingdom...I had a blast on that one. And yes, I did just say Buzz Lightyear ride.
Nick, IU and Aegis Questions
NRLYAGODD
Lulu

Post by NRLYAGODD »

On math... I feel that math does deserve a spot on quizbowl since it is a part of the core curriculum in high school. Also, the wider the range of questions, then the deeper a team has to be, yeah? So with computational math, it'll force teams to get a guy on their team to get better at math or get a math guy better at quizbowl. Either way, it should make a team stronger.

As for best team assertions, if IS beat Grissom, I think that's a stronger statement than point distribution. A super strong player can easily mask the abilities of his teams just by being slightly faster. Another player on the team can have the same knowledge base as the best player, but is just .0001 second slower off the buzzer, and makes it seem like the team isn't good.

In my senior year, we definitely had one player (Neel) who was clearly stronger, but if you ask him, I'm sure he'd tell you that the rest of the team was necesary to fill the gaps in his knowledge.
Golden Tiger 86
Tidus

Post by Golden Tiger 86 »

NRLYAGODD wrote: As for best team assertions, if IS beat Grissom, I think that's a stronger statement than point distribution. A super strong player can easily mask the abilities of his teams just by being slightly faster. Another player on the team can have the same knowledge base as the best player, but is just .0001 second slower off the buzzer, and makes it seem like the team isn't good.

In my senior year, we definitely had one player (Neel) who was clearly stronger, but if you ask him, I'm sure he'd tell you that the rest of the team was necesary to fill the gaps in his knowledge.
True dat...look at the Springs teams with David Hill. Everybody thought they were one man teams, but his senior year, he had Jeremy, Evan, and James helping him out. It was just that David was that good. Ditto with the LAMP teams with George Nelson. Walter, Tony, and Alex were all excellent, but George was dominant.
Slade Gilmer, 2004 Graduate of THE Russellville High School, 2009 Graduate of THE University of North Alabama
steven-lamp
Rikku

Post by steven-lamp »

We'll be at NAQT states, although it should be interesting since we've never played in an NAQT tournament or practiced on a set of NAQT questions. Right now we're not sure if we can afford NAQT nationals without significant expense to the other players, and if we went, it'd be 3 people as opposed to 6.

About the whole "one man team" thing: I agree that one great player who's faster on the buzzer can mask the other players' abilities. LAMP 02-03 had Tony and Alex and they pretty much split it, but last year's team with Alex, Jay, Paul, and I had Alex getting around 1/2 of all tossup points and the rest of us contributing along the way. However, after losing Alex and Paul, we didn't crash this year. Evan does get a lot of the points for Indian Springs, but James killed me when I played against him in JV in 10th grade. I think that was my first QB tournament ever and it was a humbling experience.
quizbowllee
Auron

Post by quizbowllee »

Yeah - I never thought of Springs as a one man team at all. We've played them three times this year. Twice with James and not Evan, and once with Evan and not James. We managed to beat them by the swing of a single question each time. I really couldn't tell any difference in their strength. However, I knew that Evan + James would be a killer combo. That is why I initially chose them to win state. Turns out I was right...

Also, Mr. Bobo e-mailed me and said that the following teams are registered so far for the NAQT State Tournament:

Brindlee Mountain
Holy Spirit
Cordova
LAMP
Indian Springs
Altamont
Covenant Christian

He says he also expects Northridge and Hoover, but hasn't heard from them yet.

That is a REALLY strong field so far. I know nothing about Cordova, but I know the other teams are good. It should be another interesting state tournament...

-Lee
Lee Henry
AP Lit and APUSH Teacher
Quiz Bowl Coach
West Point High School
President-Elect/Past President- Alabama Scholastic Competition Association (ASCA)
Neel6989
Lulu

Post by Neel6989 »

I think we (Grissom) MIGHT be going to the NAQT state. Is that the one that's on april 23rd?
AndyShootsAndyScores
Yuna

Indian Springs is by far no one-man team. Like Lee said, we've beaten them three times, once I remember was by 30 points on NAQT format while they had Evan but no James. I can't remember the other two times (you'll come to find my memory span is less than that of a goldfish) but I know that Evan wasn't there. To answer Neel, NAQT state is the tournament on April 23rd.
Andy Knowles
Brindlee Mountain, '08
ithinkiamsteven
Lulu

Post by ithinkiamsteven »

Alright, I feel like I shouldn't have said anything I said previously about team balances--let me just revoke it all. I never said that Springs was a one man team, and never meant to imply that, I only meant that Evan was very nt and very very good, and that's all I care to say.

Grissom will actually NOT be attending NAQT state tournament, since neither Ben nor I will be able to be there, for various reasons. We still might try to go to something else, if there even is anything else this season. As many of you know, we're kind of notorious for going to hardly any tournaments besides ASCA.

I think the best ride at Disney is the Tower of . Make sure you go to MGM late in the day and go on that one and the Rock 'n' Rollercoaster, which are right next to each other, when the lines are short.

For Grissom, Ben and I are seniors--we were the two who sat in the middle of the table, if that clarifies. Neel is a junior, and Miles is a sophomore. I think they should do well next year, but they desperately need to increase their knowledge of Literature and Fine Arts if they want to be really good.
quizbowllee
Auron

Post by quizbowllee »

Grissom seems to be a team that reloads every year... Even back when I played in the mid-to-late 90's, Grissom was always a powerhouse. I am happy to say that we DID beat Grissom the one and only time we played them in the 1997-98 season - the first one in which they won state.

I've always been amazed at the consistent string of great players that Grissom turns out. Throughout the years, they have had Daniel Thomas, Robert Scott, and Steven... I also think that Miles will be a powerhouse for the next couple of years. I remember his play for Whitesburg was great, so I know he has the potential, along with Neel, to carry the team far.

Anyway, Steven good luck to you in college. You're a great player and should be proud.
Lee Henry
AP Lit and APUSH Teacher
Quiz Bowl Coach
West Point High School
President-Elect/Past President- Alabama Scholastic Competition Association (ASCA)
steven-lamp
Rikku

Post by steven-lamp »

More on Grissom's beastness: Last year's team had Shiva as the main point-getter and he was a freaking beast. You guys would do awesome out of state and you should really consider running a school tournament instead of school system tournament so you can raise some funds to travel. It'll pay off if you want more national recognition.
JBSprings
Lulu

Post by JBSprings »

AndyBrindlee Mountain wrote:To ask a question, who all from any of the final four teams are seniors and will be graduating this year?
On the ISS team, Evan and I will be graduating, as well as Felix. All the rest of the team are sophomores.

James
QuizBowlRonin
Wakka

Post by QuizBowlRonin »

Glenn looks like he'll just have a full round robin and I guess a final at NAQT State, and be done with it.

Glenn asked me to come, but should I show up to read? My bet is that there should be at least 3 good moderators there, but if not, I'll show.
Jason Paik
retired

WashU, UAB, Stanford
quizbowllee
Auron

Post by quizbowllee »

Jason,

Just my opinion, but I know I'd like to see you there. You're by far one of the best moderators. I know the kids enjoyed your reading last year.

-Lee
Lee Henry
AP Lit and APUSH Teacher
Quiz Bowl Coach
West Point High School
AndyShootsAndyScores
Yuna

Yea Jason you're a very good reader and I would like to see you there next Saturday. Looking at the teams that are gonna be there, it's going to be a pretty good tournament. I don't know anything about Cordova but the other teams should be good matches.

--Andy
Andy Knowles
Brindlee Mountain, '08
Golden Tiger 86
Tidus

If it's the same Cordova I know, you'll kill them...

(I have never played them, but I lived in the Jasper area for 3 years. Cordova's not known for its brainpower)
Slade Gilmer, 2004 Graduate of THE Russellville High School, 2009 Graduate of THE University of North Alabama
quizbowllee
Auron

Post by quizbowllee »

Well... assuming that the above field is accurate and complete, who do you all think will come away with the NAQT State Title?
Lee Henry
AP Lit and APUSH Teacher
Quiz Bowl Coach
West Point High School
Golden Tiger 86
Tidus

I would say either Springs, LAMP, or Brindlee would win it...
quizbowllee
Auron

Post by quizbowllee »

Looks like the final lineup for the NAQT State Tournament in the morning is:

Brindlee Mountain A
Brindlee Mountain B
Holy Spirit
Cordova
LAMP
Indian Springs
Altamont
Covenant Christian

Mr. Bobo couldn't find an 8th team and I was the first to ask about a "B" team.

I think this is a seriously strong (if small) group. I know that CCA, LAMP, Indian Springs, and Brindlee Mountain A & B have qualified for PACE. Also, CCA and Brindlee Mountain A & B have already qualified for NAQT Nationals (some of these others might've too...)

They are using full NAQT rules, which (unlike last year) includes timed rounds...

I predict a very tough tournament. I also predict that the winner probably will not be undefeated.

We'll see in the morning.

-Lee
Lee Henry
AP Lit and APUSH Teacher
Quiz Bowl Coach
West Point High School
DVader
Wakka

Post by DVader »

I'm kinda surprised so few teams could come. Must be a lot of people having prom this weekend. I know we and Bob Jones have prom and I'm sure a number of other schools have it too this weekend. To think, people kept from scholars bowl by prom. It's so unstereotypical.
David John Gagne,
University of Oklahoma
Mr. Brindlee Mountain
Lulu

Ha ha - yes you're right about prom season. I will actually be attending my second prom this year tomorrow night. My coach told me that Mr. Bobo expects the tournament to end in the vicinity of 12:30 PM. For the B'ham teams the drive to Bevill-Jasper is nothing at all. All of us up here on Brindlee Mountain are looking at a 2 hour ride tomorrow... and I think we're farther away than any other team (I'm not sure where Cordova is). As long as the tux/dresses are already picked up by today and all the plans have been made then prom shouldn't have affected anyone's attendance at NAQT State.
Golden Tiger 86
Tidus

Cordova has by far the shortest drive there. Cordova is like 10 miles away. And Jacksonville once decided to forgo ASCA State (this was before the NAQT State Title was up for grabs) for the prom.
DVader
Wakka

Post by DVader »

Whose prom are you going to? James from Indian Springs is going to be at my prom and I'm taking a girl who's on the Florence team, so SB will be well represented there. Too bad the tournament is going to be really short. If we had known it would only take that long we might've gone. Of course, SB touranment and prom on the same day can get very tiring.
David John Gagne,
University of Oklahoma
steven-lamp
Rikku

Post by steven-lamp »

We got an early at-large bid to NAQT nats, and we're going. My prom's next weekend, so it won't really affect me that much. I think we have a 2 hour or so drive, we're leaving at 6 AM tomorrow. :-\
AndyShootsAndyScores
Yuna

The NAQT State Tournament was held today, and the teams and results were such: (I put records of the ones I knew)

Brindlee Mountain A (6-1)
Brindlee Mountain B (2-5)
LAMP (3-4)
Indian Springs (6-1)
Covenant Christian (6-1)
Cordova
Altamont
Holy Spirit

1st Place- Covenant Christian

2nd Place- Indian Springs

A full round robin with 9 minute halves instead of 20 tossups was played, after which there was a three way tie between us, CCA, and Springs. We had beaten Springs, Springs beat CCA, CCA beat us. Instead of going by average points per game to resolve the tie, they had CCA and us play each other on 8 tossups with possible 30 point bonuses and Springs would play the winner of that match for the championship. After the 8 tossups were over, the score was CCA- 120, Brindlee-85. I do not know the score of the final match, but CCA ended up coming out on top. The all tournament team consisted of Carter and Matt from CCA, Steven from LAMP, and Evan getting MVP by a very wide margin. I was surprised at LAMP's good performance, as I was told that they had never played NAQT format before except at our tournament.

This was the first we had also faced ISS with both Evan and James, and they were a very good match, the score ending up being 275-260 in our favor. We also have not apparently broken our CCA curse, mainly because I, for some reason, freeze up against them. Overall, it was a very well run tournament with excellent moderators. We have no more tournaments scheduled until nationals in June, so we'll see all you teams next year.

--Andy
Last edited by AndyShootsAndyScores on Sat Apr 23, 2005 10:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Andy Knowles
Brindlee Mountain, '08
steven-lamp
Rikku

Post by steven-lamp »

We actually went 3-4. It was pretty crazy. We played horribly all day. This was our worst tournament of the year, but I'm glad we came, because we have a lot of practice to do in order to get ready for NAQT HSNCT in Chicago. The format really takes adjusting to, as well as the questions. The tournament was good, though, although I probably would have had more fun if we did better, but oh well. We lost to CCA, ISS, Brindlee, and Holy Spirit (by 5 points). The Holy Spirit loss was a little quirky, but that's alright. We didn't stick around long at all after the last round, but did Mr. Bobo give power/neg king titles? I'm a bit surprised I got All Tournament Team, I had a pretty bad amount of negs in the first couple of rounds.
AndyShootsAndyScores
Yuna

There were no power or neg 5 king awards, but I think you were 4th or 2nd on the All-Tourney team. Carter and Matt were right next to each other on it and I wasn't really paying attention to what place you were in. I'm pretty sure it was fourth though. We had a narrow match against Holy Spirit as well, although our's was in our favor.

I think you told me you and Jay were graduating, Steven. I know James and Evan from Springs are graduating as well, but Carter and Matt from CCA are juniors. Don't know about Holy Spirit but I think at least 2 of them are seniors, just guessing though.
Andy Knowles
Brindlee Mountain, '08
steven-lamp
Rikku

Post by steven-lamp »

Yeah, Jay and I are graduating, as are Evan and James. I thought that the CCA guys were seniors, too.
AndyShootsAndyScores
Yuna

I know that Carter is a junior, and I'm pretty sure Matt is too, although he may not be. But yes, Carter is definitely a junior.
Last edited by AndyShootsAndyScores on Sun Apr 24, 2005 12:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Andy Knowles
Brindlee Mountain, '08
Mr. Brindlee Mountain
Lulu

Hey, just got back from the Arab High School prom at the Von Braun Civic Center in H'ville. Brindlee Mtn. took 3rd overall at the tournament today, although no trophy was awarded to the third place team. To Indian Springs: I heard that there was a protest about the round we played earlier today... I was just wondering what that was about. I think our margin of victory was only like 15 points. It was a very close round... I wanted to get your opinion on it.
JBSprings
Lulu

Post by JBSprings »

Mr. Brindlee Mountain wrote:To Indian Springs: I heard that there was a protest about the round we played earlier today... I was just wondering what that was about. I think our margin of victory was only like 15 points. It was a very close round... I wanted to get your opinion on it.
The protest was about that timeout that y'all called in the middle of our bonus before the last tossup. If you recall, you called the timeout, the moderator kept reading the bonus with timer stopped, which left fourteen seconds for the last tossup, without which you would've been twenty-five points down.

Talking to Mr. Bobo afterwards, it turns out that one can't call a timeout during a bonus, and obviously questions shouldn't be read with the clock stopped.

Given that, what should have happened is that we'd have had three seconds to answer the each the second and third parts of the bonus, with, say, a few seconds to read the third part of the bonus, and perhaps a second or two between questions. 6s (time we had to answer)+3s (time to read question)+1s (time between questions)=10, and 14 (time left)-10=4. It took much more than around four seconds to get to the point at which y'all answered the tossup, without which we'd have won.

See the grounds for protest?

James
Mr. Brindlee Mountain
Lulu

Yes, I see. At the time we were unaware that timeouts could not be called during a bonus. I apologize on behalf of my team. What did Mr. Bobo say? Did he just decide not to acknowledge the protest or what?
JBSprings
Lulu

Post by JBSprings »

Mr. Brindlee Mountain wrote:Yes, I see. At the time we were unaware that timeouts could not be called during a bonus. I apologize on behalf of my team. What did Mr. Bobo say? Did he just decide not to acknowledge the protest or what?
He said that, in athletics, officials screw up and it costs games, and likewise they'd just let the moderator's judgement stand, flawed as it may be. I'm not particularly happy about it, but I respect his decision. I'm probably more glad than anyone that the tournament wasn't delayed over it, since, like David mentioned, I did go to the ASFA prom that night, and scheduling was tight.

On some level, I'm kind of glad that a team that might be able to go to NAQT nationals won, since our entire team will be in Europe at that time.

James
AndyShootsAndyScores
Yuna

I think CCA said they weren't going to be able to go to NAQT nationals. Something about scheduling with something else (I think it was basketball). So I guess it looks like Brindlee is the only team going to NAQT nats.
Andy Knowles
Brindlee Mountain, '08
Mr. Brindlee Mountain
Lulu

Ah, well I'm sorry things turned out for you that way. If it had happened to us, we would have been just as unpleased and as vocal as you guys were.

Have fun on your Eurotrip this summer. I don't believe Covenant Christian will be able to go to Nat's... but LAMP might accompany us. We'll be going to PACE Chicago (June 3-5) and NAQT Orlando (June 10-13).

Good luck in the future and have a happy graduation!
DVader
Wakka

Post by DVader »

I think you mean NAQT Chicago and PACE Orlando, and we'll be at the latter.
David John Gagne,
University of Oklahoma
quizbowllee
Auron

Post by quizbowllee »

First, I wanted to comment on the Indian Springs situation. After an EXTREMELY close match in which the lead seemed to change after every tossup, Springs was in the middle of a bonus with the timer ticking down. Andy called timeout and the moderator stopped the clock with 14 seconds left and finished Springs's bonus off the clock. We were then down by 25. He started the clock back, read about a sentence of the next tossup, Amanda answered it, we got a bonus (during which the timer sounded) that we "30'ed" and we won by 15.

I shook hands with Mr. Cooper (Indian Springs's coach), commented on how close the match was, and moved on. I intially didn't think anything of this, until a few rounds later when Mr. Bobo was reading for us and he commented on the protest. It was then that I realized that we were in fact in the wrong on the situation. He said, though, that it was the moderator's fault and that he would not reverse the outcome of the game.

I do wonder why Evan or Mr. Cooper didn't mention the protest right after it happened, while I was still in the room. Had this happened, I probably would have conceded that we were wrong...

The main problem (and this is my fault more than anyone's), was the lack of experience that we had on timed rounds. While we practice on NAQT questions a good deal, I had only used the timer in practice once or twice before. Until Monday of last week, I thought that the tournament would be 20 tossup/bonuses like last year, so practicing with the clock would be pointless. Also, during practice, I try to teach and explain the questions that the team doesn't get (that's called coaching). I can't do that if we're playing timed rounds in practice.

So basically, Andy knew that he could call time out - he just wasn't aware of when he could. The moderator (who I know personally and has played on timed NAQT rounds several times himself), didn't catch the mistake - and neither did I.

So at any rate, I would like to apologize to Indian Springs and their coaches for what was an unfortunate mistake. Normally it seems that we are on the losing side of these situations, so I know how it feels. For what it is worth, I hope that you all know (James, please pass this along to your teammates and coaches) that we did not intentionally break any rules. Also, I sincerely hope that there are no hard feelings.
Lee Henry
AP Lit and APUSH Teacher
Quiz Bowl Coach
West Point High School
quizbowllee
Auron

Post by quizbowllee »

Now about the rest of the tournament:

Just a few observations that I wanted to make.

1st - Did NAQT move that power mark significantly to the left on this set? Last year, when my team was in 8th grade, they powered 23 tossups at this tournament in 10 rounds. This year I think they powered maybe 3 or 4 in 7 rounds. I found that very odd. There were several that I thought surely had to be powers, but we didn't get 15 for them. I'm not sure if that was an oversight by the moderators or not. And since the rounds were timed, I couldn't really take time off the clock to ask...

2nd - It amazes me how fickle this game still is... Especially when it comes to us and Covnenant Christian. We had the championship in the bag going into the last round. All we had to do was beat CCA... And they stomped us down. They didn't just beat us, they killed us. I think it was 240-65. I still can't understand why we shut down against them. The only day we DIDN'T shut down against them was at the Snead State CC Tournament were we beat them 420-210 and then again by even more...

Anyway, that last round loss dropped us from first place in standings to third... CCA overtook us in points, and apparently Indian Springs scored over 400 points that round and took over the lead in points.

3rd - I wanted to comment on a team that has been horribly overlooked and underestimated this year - that team being Holy Spirit. They had a great team this year, unfortunately they also had a good deal of rotten luck. Hats off to them for one of the best matches we had all year... A match that ended in a tie after we were ahead of them by 115 at the half. NAQT then requires a 3-tossup tie breaker. No one got the first tossup, and Holy Spirit powered the 2nd one. This meant that we HAD to power the third - which Amanda did. This led to a sudden death tossup, which Holy Spirit negged. That was one of the most intense matches I've ever seen.

4th - I just wanted to thank Mr. Bobo for a great tournament. I also want to encourage all of you to come to NAQT events in the future. The questions are SO MUCH better than the quick recall ASCA format. They are more geared towards serious quiz bowlers who are into LEARNING as opposed to MEMORIZING.

5th - I guess this prettty much concludes our year. It's been a great one - much better than I thought it would be with such a young team. We'll see some of you in Chicago and/or Orlando this summer!

-Lee
Lee Henry
AP Lit and APUSH Teacher
Quiz Bowl Coach
West Point High School
Mr. Brindlee Mountain
Lulu

DVader wrote:I think you mean NAQT Chicago and PACE Orlando, and we'll be at the latter.
Yes you're right - my bad everybody. I get the two confused... all I know is that we're going to both this summer. David, which one did you say you guys are going to attend?
No Sollositing On Premise
Tidus

Post by No Sollositing On Premise »

Mr. Brindlee Mountain wrote:
DVader wrote:I think you mean NAQT Chicago and PACE Orlando, and we'll be at the latter.
Yes you're right - my bad everybody. I get the two confused... all I know is that we're going to both this summer. David, which one did you say you guys are going to attend?
I'm fairly certain "the latter" refers to PACE.
Mike Sollosi, University of Virginia
steven-lamp
Rikku

Post by steven-lamp »

We'll be at NAQT in Chicago. And about the power marks, there were definitely a few we got in on that I was sure were powered, but weren't, and a most of our powers were really odd (as in, a fairly obvious clue had already been given). I'm not sure if any other tournaments are using IS-50A (since Apr. 23 was the last day for states) and if not, then maybe I could talk about some of the questions. I think I had like 8 to 10 powers, but they were all pretty odd. We'll practice more in that format and hopefully improve some, and see you all at nationals. I'm guessing Brindlee and LAMP are the only two Alabama teams that'll be there?
quizbowllee
Auron

Post by quizbowllee »

Actually, they used IS 51. The "A" series are ultra easy. They used IS 47A at Snead, and we scored over 500 ppg.

And yes, I believe that LAMP and Brindlee Mountain are the only Alabama schools going to NAQT.
Lee Henry
AP Lit and APUSH Teacher
Quiz Bowl Coach
West Point High School
JBSprings
Lulu

Post by JBSprings »

quizbowllee wrote:I do wonder why Evan or Mr. Cooper didn't mention the protest right after it happened, while I was still in the room. Had this happened, I probably would have conceded that we were wrong...
We thought there was something kind of wrong from the start, but we'd never before played with timed rounds, so we didn't know that there was anything protestable until we talked to Mr. Bobo in the hall after the match.

So at any rate, I would like to apologize to Indian Springs and their coaches for what was an unfortunate mistake. Normally it seems that we are on the losing side of these situations, so I know how it feels. For what it is worth, I hope that you all know (James, please pass this along to your teammates and coaches) that we did not intentionally break any rules. Also, I sincerely hope that there are no hard feelings.
No hard feelings--I'll pass it along to the rest of the team.

Yours,

James