Connecticut

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
Habitat_Against_Humanity
Rikku

Connecticut

Post by Habitat_Against_Humanity »

So I'm currently in the process of taking the initial steps to form a high school quiz bowl team at a public high school outside of New Haven. Right now, I'm working on a proposal I can give to the administration that details the ins and outs of the game. I've been trying to figure out the state of Connecticut quiz bowl, if it exists at all. Does anyone know of any sort of leagues or things? Currently, all I'm aware of is Yale's fall tournament and their spring BHSAT as well as NHBB. Since, I have no idea on the funding situation, I very much doubt that out of state travel would be an option at this point. Most people I've talked to offhand in this state have never even heard of Quiz Bowl as an activity, so I don't know if I can create any sort of sustainability, but I think it would be cool to take a to team to Yale's tournaments at the very least. If anyone has any ideas/suggestions, I'd love to hear them.
Rachel
UChicago 09
Susan
Forums Staff: Administrator

Re: Connecticut

Post by Susan »

You might want to try talking to some of the people who posted in this thread to see if they're hosting anything or if they know about any tournaments that haven't yet been announced on the boards.
Susan
UChicago alum (AB 2003, PhD 2009)
Member emerita, ACF
Adventure Temple Trail
Auron

Post by Adventure Temple Trail »

As far as I know, the only high school tournaments that took place last year in Connecticut were FAcT and BHSAT (which are both happening again this year). Several Connecticut teams have historically attended one or both - E.O. Smith, Simsbury, Cheshire, Newtown, Williston, and Thomaston come to mind - though most of those except Cheshire and E.O. Smith don't seem to go far beyond that. (Shoutout to E.O. Smith for being the only Connecticut team at the HSNCT last year!) New York City isn't far for tournaments at Hunter or the like if a new New Haven-area team needs somewhere else to go right off the bat and it's not October or March.

There's defintely, definitely room for more Connecticut schools to host novice tournaments and good tournaments with accessible questions. I haven't heard of any intrusions of bad quizbowl yet; here's hoping it stays that way.
Matt Jackson
University of Chicago '24
Yale '14, Georgetown Day School '10
member emeritus, ACF
Lightly Seared on the Reality Grill
Rikku

Post by Lightly Seared on the Reality Grill »

There is at least one isolated quiz bowl league in Connecticut, namely this one which isn't that far from Yale:
http://www.hsquizbowl.org/forums/viewto ... 79#p220979
MSG Varsity's The Challenge also takes teams from western Connecticut.
Robert Pond
Kings Park '10
Stony Brook '14
University of Victoria '18
Anonymous wrote:naqt is much worse than plagiarism could ever hope to be
Skepticism and Animal Feed
Auron

Post by Skepticism and Animal Feed »

Cambridge isn't that far away, HFT occurs in November I believe.
Bruce
Harvard '10 / UChicago '07 / Roycemore School '04
ACF Member emeritus
My guide to using Wikipedia as a question source
AKKOLADE
Sin

Post by AKKOLADE »

Skepticism and Animal Feed wrote:Cambridge isn't that far away, HFT occurs in November I believe.
New teams should choose sets other than HFT for their introductory quiz bowl experiences.
Fred Morlan
University of Kentucky CoP, 2017
International Quiz Bowl Tournaments, CEO, co-owner
former PACE member, president, etc.
former hsqbrank manager, former NAQT writer & subject editor, former hsqb Administrator/Chief Administrator
AKKOLADE
Sin

Post by AKKOLADE »

If anyone from Connecticut is interested in forming a team for NASAT, please let me know.
Fred Morlan
University of Kentucky CoP, 2017
International Quiz Bowl Tournaments, CEO, co-owner
former PACE member, president, etc.
former hsqbrank manager, former NAQT writer & subject editor, former hsqb Administrator/Chief Administrator