2010-11 NAQT IS sets: question-specific discussion

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
Important Bird Area
Forums Staff: Administrator

2010-11 NAQT IS sets: question-specific discussion

Post by Important Bird Area »

These sets are now clear for discussion; what would we like to talk about?
Jeff Hoppes
President, Northern California Quiz Bowl Alliance
former HSQB Chief Admin (2012-13)
VP for Communication and history subject editor, NAQT
Editor emeritus, ACF

"I wish to make some kind of joke about Jeff's love of birds, but I always fear he'll turn them on me Hitchcock-style." -Fred
Sen. Estes Kefauver (D-TN)
Chairman of Anti-Music Mafia Committee

Re: 2010-11 NAQT IS sets: question-specific discussion

Post by Sen. Estes Kefauver (D-TN) »

I thought IS-100 was much too difficult, and I felt like many questions in IS-102 were too hard as well, especially compared to IS-96. In particular, I felt like the Andrew Yaphe edited categories would routinely be loaded with tossups that were phenomenally hard for high school.
Charlie Dees, North Kansas City HS '08
"I won't say more because I know some of you parse everything I say." - Jeremy Gibbs

"At one TJ tournament the neg prize was the Hampshire College ultimate frisbee team (nude) calender featuring one Evan Silberman. In retrospect that could have been a disaster." - Harry White
Steeve Ho You Fat
Auron

Post by Steeve Ho You Fat »

Tossing up The Plague in IS-98 was a terrible idea. I think that falls in Dees' Yaphe-edited categories, and I'd be interested in seeing the presumably almost zero conversion stats for it. I didn't play 100 or 104, but I kind of felt like they got worse throughout the year: 96 and 98 had occasional issues, but were on the whole solid sets, while 102 and 105 were full of "derpy" answerline choices and various other issues.

Edit: expand point
Joe Nutter
PACE Emeritus
Michigan State University '14
Walnut Hills High School '11
Important Bird Area

Joe N wrote:Tossing up The Plague in IS-98 was a terrible idea. I think that falls in Dees' Yaphe-edited categories, and I'd be interested in seeing the presumably almost zero conversion stats for it. I didn't play 100 or 104, but I kind of felt like they got worse throughout the year: 96 and 98 had occasional issues, but were on the whole solid sets, while 102 and 105 were full of "derpy" answerline choices and various other issues.

Edit: expand point
3/21/3 in 42 rooms.
Jeff Hoppes
Editor emeritus, ACF

"I wish to make some kind of joke about Jeff's love of birds, but I always fear he'll turn them on me Hitchcock-style." -Fred
Steeve Ho You Fat
Auron

Post by Steeve Ho You Fat »

OK, that's actually a lot better than I was expecting, but still well below NAQT's stated 85% goal.
Joe Nutter
PACE Emeritus
Michigan State University '14
Walnut Hills High School '11
Important Bird Area

Indeed. Worth noting that we can't really apply the 85% goal to every individual question. We know there are going to be easier tossups that show up around 95%, so having some tossups, especially in "difficult" categories like European literature, at lower rates is ok. That being said, this was still clearly too hard for this level and would have played better at HSNCT.
Jeff Hoppes
Editor emeritus, ACF

Khanate
Lulu

Post by Khanate »

I was shocked that the Rydberg Formula was tossed up in an IS set. I know it was tossed up at HSNCT, and it seems suitable there, but I thought it was entirely too hard for an IS set
Adil Khan
Chattahoochee '11
Duke Dec '15
NAQT writer
Sniper, No Sniping!
Tidus

Post by Sniper, No Sniping! »

IS-98 - Tossup on the Black Hills mentioning Sioux Falls, SD (??? Correct me if I'm wrong, there was a city dropped though, I'm 100% sure) in the question. Can someone post this question?

IS-105 - Tossup on Wales with somewhat of a hose; the question started out with "This nations (something something) is (something something)" the kid on the other team buzzed before it said "Constituent nation", and answered United Kingdom (this might be right if it was asking for a UN recognized nation, perhaps?). It'd be helpful if someone could post this one too.

Also in IS-105 - Wouldn't "Initiation" have been acceptable for the tossup on Rite of Passage? This was a pretty "derpy" question in my opinion, because Confirmation carries different meanings and actions in different Christian denominations, as does the circumstances, such as in Catholicism where Confirmation is a sacrament. Per Wikipedia, straight from the "Rite of passage" page, "Initiation ceremonies such as baptism, confirmation and bar mitzvah are considered rites of passage for people of their respective religions". I'm not a Theological scholar, so I'm not the voice of reason at all about this, but this probably wasn't the best thing to write a question about, especially if theres different interpretations of what a Rite of Passage is.
Last edited by Sniper, No Sniping! on Wed Jun 15, 2011 11:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Thomas Moore
Lancaster Fisher Catholic HS c/o 2014
Ohio Wesleyan University c/o 2018
Important Bird Area

CavsFan2k10 wrote:IS-98 - Tossup on the Black Hills mentioning Sioux Falls, SD (??? Correct me if I'm wrong, there was a city dropped though, I'm 100% sure) in the question. Can someone post this question?
IS #98 round 4 wrote:Ownership of this geographical feature was contested in a 1980 Supreme Court case in which the federal government was ordered to pay $105 million. Its namesake university is at Spearfish, its highest point is at Harney Peak, and it contains (*) Jewel Cave National Monument and Wind Cave National Park. Rapid City and Deadwood are settlements in--for 10 points--what South Dakota mountain range that includes Mount Rushmore?
Rapid City, not Sioux Falls, which is notably at the other end of the state.
Jeff Hoppes
Editor emeritus, ACF

Important Bird Area

CavsFan2k10 wrote:IS-105 - Tossup on Wales with somewhat of a hose; the question started out with "This nations (something something) is (something something)" the kid on the other team buzzed before it said "Constituent nation", and answered United Kingdom (this might be right if it was asking for a UN recognized nation, perhaps?). It'd be helpful if someone could post this one too.
IS #105 round 8 wrote:The extreme northwestern tip of this nation is at Carmel Head on the island of Anglesey. The River Wye comprises part of its eastern border, and its highest peaks lie in the region of Snowdonia. Cardigan Bay indents its west coast, while to the south lies (*) Bristol Channel. Swansea and Cardiff lie on the southern coast of--for 10 points--what constituent nation of the United Kingdom lying west of England?

answer: _Wales_
Every clue in the first two sentences is specific to Wales (and objectively wrong for UK). There's nothing that might induce UK as an alternate until "Cardigan Bay indents its west coast."
Jeff Hoppes
Editor emeritus, ACF

Important Bird Area

CavsFan2k10 wrote:Also in IS-105 - Wouldn't "Initiation" have been acceptable for the tossup on Rite of Passage? This was a pretty "derpy" question in my opinion, because Confirmation carries different meanings and actions in different Christian denominations, as does the circumstances, such as in Catholicism where Confirmation is a sacrament. Per Wikipedia, straight from the "Rite of passage" page, "Initiation ceremonies such as baptism, confirmation and bar mitzvah are considered rites of passage for people of their respective religions". I'm not a Theological scholar, so I'm not the voice of reason at all about this, but this probably wasn't the best thing to write a question about, especially if theres different interpretations of what a Rite of Passage is.
IS #105 round 8 wrote:Victor Turner wrote about one of these in which the participants eat a special kind of food in ~The Forest of Symbols~, and in ancient Greece, the ~dokimakia~ was a form of this. In Christianity, (*) confirmation is one form of this, while in Judaism, bar and bat mitzvahs are usually undergone for this purpose. For 10 points--name these cultural rituals in which children pass to the next stage of their lives.

answer: rites of _passage_ (accept clear-knowledge equivalents like _entering adulthood_ and _coming of age_)
I think this could have used a more specific definition of "clear-knowledge equivalents", but I'm not entirely certain what those should be.
Jeff Hoppes
Editor emeritus, ACF

mtimmons
Wakka

Post by mtimmons »

What were the conversion stats for the David Foster Wallace tossup in IS-100? It seemed like that was one of the more extreme examples of difficult literature questions that plagued that set.
Max Timmons
St. Paul Central High School 2012
MIT 2016
Sniper, No Sniping!
Tidus

bt_green_warbler wrote:
CavsFan2k10 wrote:Also in IS-105 - Wouldn't "Initiation" have been acceptable for the tossup on Rite of Passage? This was a pretty "derpy" question in my opinion, because Confirmation carries different meanings and actions in different Christian denominations, as does the circumstances, such as in Catholicism where Confirmation is a sacrament. Per Wikipedia, straight from the "Rite of passage" page, "Initiation ceremonies such as baptism, confirmation and bar mitzvah are considered rites of passage for people of their respective religions". I'm not a Theological scholar, so I'm not the voice of reason at all about this, but this probably wasn't the best thing to write a question about, especially if theres different interpretations of what a Rite of Passage is.
IS #105 round 8 wrote:Victor Turner wrote about one of these in which the participants eat a special kind of food in ~The Forest of Symbols~, and in ancient Greece, the ~dokimakia~ was a form of this. In Christianity, (*) confirmation is one form of this, while in Judaism, bar and bat mitzvahs are usually undergone for this purpose. For 10 points--name these cultural rituals in which children pass to the next stage of their lives.

answer: rites of _passage_ (accept clear-knowledge equivalents like _entering adulthood_ and _coming of age_)
I think this could have used a more specific definition of "clear-knowledge equivalents", but I'm not entirely certain what those should be.
Wikipedia defines confirmation and bar and bar mitzvahs as "Initiation ceremonies", and on the Confirmation page the first sentence "Confirmation is a rite of initiation in Christian churches". I agree that "clear-knowledge equivalents" was pretty broad on this, however I'm not 100% sure my answer of "initiation" buzzing on the "one form of this" clue that proceeded confirmation would be considered a "clear-knowledge equivalent" because I'm not sure what Dokimakia is (wasn't this the approval of citizenship of ancient Greeks?) nor have I read The Forest of Symbols, so I don't know if my answer could've been acceptable pertaining to those two aforementioned clues that preceded Christianity in the question. It might be helpful to have someone with thorough theological knowledge to pitch in on this.
Thomas Moore
OFallsJC
Lulu

Post by OFallsJC »

bt_green_warbler wrote:

Going the other way, I'm not sure that the given "clear-knowledge equivalents" should really be acceptable based on the confirmation clue. Some Christian groups administer both Confirmation and Baptism to infants, so I don't think "entering adulthood" and "coming of age" are really equivalent.
Jim Coury
Olmsted Falls 2011
Important Bird Area

mtimmons wrote:What were the conversion stats for the David Foster Wallace tossup in IS-100? It seemed like that was one of the more extreme examples of difficult literature questions that plagued that set.
1/4/0 in 16 rooms, so, yeah, too hard.

Also, I just split the "clear knowledge equivalents" discussion into its own thread.
Jeff Hoppes
Editor emeritus, ACF

Important Bird Area

Jeremy Gibbs Freesy Does It wrote:I thought IS-100 was much too difficult, and I felt like many questions in IS-102 were too hard as well, especially compared to IS-96.
A bit hard to test this because we don't (yet) have conversion stats for the same teams playing these sets, but I thought I'd post what we have:

IS #96 (at DAR): 70.9% conversion, 16.7% power

IS #100 (at Michigan): 77.1% conversion, 16.4% power

IS #102 (at Villa Duchesne): 72.9% conversion, 17.5% power

IS #102 (at Solon): 81.0% conversion, 26.5% power
Jeff Hoppes
Editor emeritus, ACF

Important Bird Area

Khanate wrote:I was shocked that the Rydberg Formula was tossed up in an IS set. I know it was tossed up at HSNCT, and it seems suitable there, but I thought it was entirely too hard for an IS set
It is. 0/0/4 in 12 rooms that heard it.
Jeff Hoppes
Editor emeritus, ACF

Urech hydantoin synthesis
Tidus

Post by Urech hydantoin synthesis »

I felt that the On Liberty tossup in round 2 (or 3, forgot) of IS 100 was a little too hard for that set.
Ben Zhang

Zucker School of Medicine at Hofstra/Northwell '23
Columbia University '18
Ladue Horton Watkins HS '14
sacagawea
Lulu

Post by sacagawea »

What was promptable for the "umami" question in IS-102?
James Yoder
Cistercian Preparatory School Class of 2011
Harvard Class of 2015
Important Bird Area

(accept _savory_ taste or _savoriness_ early)
On Liberty: 0/8/5 in 16 rooms.
Jeff Hoppes
Editor emeritus, ACF

FreeGravity
Kimahri

Post by FreeGravity »

Christino wrote:I felt that the On Liberty tossup in round 2 (or 3, forgot) of IS 100 was a little too hard for that set.
I think the healthy dose of political philosophy is quite awesome. Maybe I can't gauge the difficulty correctly, having actually read the work, but it doesn't seem too hard by any means. 50% conversion isn't great, but that's just "on the harder side" rather than "too hard" (unlike the previously mentioned Rydberg formula, which is just silly.)
Will Alexander
Eureka High School '11
UIUC '15

Feeling the Illinoise since February 2011
Sen. Estes Kefauver (D-TN)
Chairman of Anti-Music Mafia Committee

Post by Sen. Estes Kefauver (D-TN) »

It's too hard, Will.
Charlie Dees, North Kansas City HS '08
"I won't say more because I know some of you parse everything I say." - Jeremy Gibbs

"At one TJ tournament the neg prize was the Hampshire College ultimate frisbee team (nude) calender featuring one Evan Silberman. In retrospect that could have been a disaster." - Harry White
AlphaQuizBowler
Tidus

Post by AlphaQuizBowler »

Could you post the text of the "capital" tossup from IS-105? I remember negging with "wealth" somewhere in the middle of it.
William
Alpharetta High School '11
Harvard '15
Important Bird Area

I can't find a tossup with that answer; is it possible you are thinking of this one?
IS 105 round 4 wrote:Cobb-Douglas functions are used to quantify this phenomenon that, in Marxist economics, induces alienation when workers do not control its means. In capitalism, it can be increased by reinvesting itself as capital. The combinations of two goods allowed by current technology are linked by its (*) "possibility frontier." For 10 points--name this concept whose "gross domestic" variety is calculated in the GDP.

answer: _production_ (accept word forms; accept _production function_ or _production possibility frontier_; prompt on "output")
Jeff Hoppes
Editor emeritus, ACF

AlphaQuizBowler
Tidus

Post by AlphaQuizBowler »

bt_green_warbler wrote:I can't find a tossup with that answer; is it possible you are thinking of this one?
IS 105 round 4 wrote:Cobb-Douglas functions are used to quantify this phenomenon that, in Marxist economics, induces alienation when workers do not control its means. In capitalism, it can be increased by reinvesting itself as capital. The combinations of two goods allowed by current technology are linked by its (*) "possibility frontier." For 10 points--name this concept whose "gross domestic" variety is calculated in the GDP.

answer: _production_ (accept word forms; accept _production function_ or _production possibility frontier_; prompt on "output")
That's the one, and I negged it with capital.
William
Alpharetta High School '11
Harvard '15
Urech hydantoin synthesis
Tidus

Post by Urech hydantoin synthesis »

There was one tossup in IS-102 on a disease (in round 11 or 12) that sounded really hard. I'd be interested in seeing the conversion stats for it and the actual tossup.
Ben Zhang

Zucker School of Medicine at Hofstra/Northwell '23
Columbia University '18
Ladue Horton Watkins HS '14
BlueDevil95
Wakka

Post by BlueDevil95 »

The tossup on Die Flaudermaus seemed out there for an IS set. Could I see it and its conversion stats please? I think it was IS-96.
Mostafa Bhuiyan
Norcross High School '13
Georgia Institute of Technology '17

Developer of Neg5
https://neg5.org
https://stats.neg5.org
Important Bird Area

Christino wrote:There was one tossup in IS-102 on a disease (in round 11 or 12) that sounded really hard. I'd be interested in seeing the conversion stats for it and the actual tossup.
IS #102 round 12 wrote:This disease is caused by an arginine to tryptophan mutation at position 408 of a hydroxylase. Robert Guthrie's screening test for this disease uses bacteria to detect the presence of an aromatic amino acid in the blood. Untreated, this disease that causes high urine concentrations of (*) phenylpyruvic acid can cause mental retardation. For 10 points--name this metabolic disease, an inability to metabolize phenylalanine.

answer: _phenylketonuria_ or _PKU_
0/1/2 in six rooms, would have been better off for HSNCT
Jeff Hoppes
Editor emeritus, ACF

Important Bird Area

BlueDevil95 wrote:The tossup on Die Flaudermaus seemed out there for an IS set. Could I see it and its conversion stats please? I think it was IS-96.
Act three of this work opens with Alfred singing in his jail cell, while in act one Adele receives an invitation to a prince's ball. At that ball, Rosalinde steals a watch from her husband, who should be in jail. Later, the ball is revealed as (*) Falke's revenge scheme on Eisenstein, who had left Falke drunk and dressed as the title animal a year earlier. For 10 points--name this operetta by Johann Strauss Jr.
0/3/1 in 14 rooms.
Jeff Hoppes
Editor emeritus, ACF

Down and out in Quintana Roo
Auron

Post by Down and out in Quintana Roo »

bt_green_warbler wrote:
Christino wrote:There was one tossup in IS-102 on a disease (in round 11 or 12) that sounded really hard. I'd be interested in seeing the conversion stats for it and the actual tossup.
IS #102 round 12 wrote:This disease is caused by an arginine to tryptophan mutation at position 408 of a hydroxylase. Robert Guthrie's screening test for this disease uses bacteria to detect the presence of an aromatic amino acid in the blood. Untreated, this disease that causes high urine concentrations of (*) phenylpyruvic acid can cause mental retardation. For 10 points--name this metabolic disease, an inability to metabolize phenylalanine.

answer: _phenylketonuria_ or _PKU_
0/1/2 in six rooms, would have been better off for HSNCT
Wow, one correct answer? How often does NAQT have tossups that are not answered anywhere? Albeit this was a small sample size...
Mr. Andrew Chrzanowski
Caesar Rodney High School
Camden, Delaware
CRHS '97-'01
University of Delaware '01-'05
CRHS quizbowl coach '06-'12
http://crquizbowl.edublogs.org
sssssssskkkk
Lulu

Post by sssssssskkkk »

Dang, NAQT tossed up PKU? I'm pretty sure that came up as a hard bonus part at PACE.....
Webster Guan
California Institute of Technology (2012-)
Illinois Math and Science Academy (2009-12)
Writer, NAQT (2013-)
ryanrosenberg
Auron

Post by ryanrosenberg »

sssssssskkkk wrote:Dang, NAQT tossed up PKU? I'm pretty sure that came up as a hard bonus part at PACE.....
Yeah, I only remember it because my freshman bio teacher had a weird affinity for congenital disorders. Does seem more HSNCT appropriate, but I'd be interested in what would happen with a larger sample size.
Ryan Rosenberg
North Carolina '16
ACF
Stained Diviner
Auron

Post by Stained Diviner »

My wife, who as a pediatrician routinely orders the PKU screen (which is rarely called the Guthrie Test) and has a few times helped patients deal with that disease, just missed power.
David Reinstein
Head Writer and Editor for Scobol Solo, Masonics, and IESA; TD for Scobol Solo and Reinstein Varsity; IHSSBCA Board Member; IHSSBCA Chair (2004-2014); PACE President (2016-2018)
Important Bird Area

Carangoides ciliarius wrote:Wow, one correct answer? How often does NAQT have tossups that are not answered anywhere? Albeit this was a small sample size...
This happens sometimes; one example is the Rydberg tossup mentioned upthread.
Jeff Hoppes
Editor emeritus, ACF

dxdtdemon
Rikku

Post by dxdtdemon »

What was the conversion rate on the anvil tossup that everyone kept talking about in the state tournament set? And could you please repost that tossup?
Jonathan Graham
Beavercreek HS 1999-2003, Ohio State 2003-2007, Wright State (possibly playing)2012-2015
moderator/scorekeeper at some tournaments in Ohio, and sometimes elsewhere
"Ohio has a somewhat fractured quizbowl circuit, with a few small pockets of intense competition (like in Mahoning County) and with the rest scattered around the state."-Chris Chiego
Important Bird Area

This tool typically has a square "hardy hole" to accommodate namesake tools. It will also have one or more round pritchel holes to assist with punching. One end sports an unhardened "horn" generally used to produce rounded shapes, but most work is done on the (*) flat, rectangular, hardened "face." Tongs are used to hold an object hot from the forge over--for 10 points--what heavy, steel block while it is hammered into shape?
2/22/5 in 26 rooms.
Jeff Hoppes
Editor emeritus, ACF

Important Bird Area

CavsFan2k10 wrote: EDIT: Another thought; would it be possible if NAQT tried to do a "Geographic exclusion" principle on the Sports questions and where they're heard? Like, we heard the Pitt football tossup in 102 when we were at Battle of the Burgh, held at the University of Pittsburgh, thankfully we were scrimmaging ourselves in a bye, because it could've been really bad if it was a tight game and we played one of the 20 something Pittsburgh area teams there.
I'm pretty sure this would be a gigantic pain, since we would want to adjust the current events, history, geography, etc.
IS #101A round 3 wrote:After being succeeded by Pat Quinn, this man was convicted on one count of lying to investigators in August 2010, but enjoyed a mistrial on 23 other charges, including those related to the alleged sale of (*) Barack Obama's Senate seat. For 10 points--name this former governor of Illinois.
Minnesota tournament: 1/12/3 in 16 rooms, fine

Illinois tournament: 12/0/0 in 12 rooms (!)
Jeff Hoppes
Editor emeritus, ACF

jmannor2
Wakka

Post by jmannor2 »

I can't remember if it was from an IS set this year or last, but could the question on Tampa Bay be posted?
Joey Mannor
DAR High School '11
Auburn '15
jmannor2
Wakka

Post by jmannor2 »

Sorry, I am talking about a tossup on Tampa Bay. Like the body of water.
Joey Mannor
DAR High School '11
Auburn '15
Important Bird Area

IS #97A round 6 wrote:The Interbay Peninsula separates two of this bay's extensions, its "Old" namesake and Hillsborough Bay. Anna Maria Island borders both this and (*) Sarasota Bay. For 10 points--name this bay that borders St. Petersburg and a namesake Florida city that is home to baseball's Rays.
Jeff Hoppes
Editor emeritus, ACF

AKKOLADE
Sin

Post by AKKOLADE »

Sports discussion can be found here.
Fred Morlan
University of Kentucky CoP, 2017
International Quiz Bowl Tournaments, CEO, co-owner
former PACE member, president, etc.
former hsqbrank manager, former NAQT writer & subject editor, former hsqb Administrator/Chief Administrator
Smuttynose Island
Forums Staff: Moderator

Post by Smuttynose Island »

There was a tossup in IS-105 that began with "The Locofocos." I don't remember the rest because I dumbly negged out of excitement with "Democrats" before the pronoun was given. Would you mind posting that, if you can find it? Thanks.
Daniel Hothem
TJHSST '11 | UVA '15 | Oregon '??
"You are the stuff of legends" - Chris Manners
https://sites.google.com/site/academicc ... ubuva/home
Important Bird Area

IS #105 round 5 wrote:The Locofocos uniformly supported this act that was also backed by Thomas Hart Benton, and James K. Polk nearly lost his position as Speaker of the House over it. This law had an exception for certain types of material issued in Virginia, and Levi (*) Woodbury was charged with issuing it. For 10 points--name this act requiring government land to be purchased with gold or silver that touched off the Panic of 1837.

answer: _Specie Circular_ Act of 1836 (accept the _Coinage Act_ of 1836)
Jeff Hoppes
Editor emeritus, ACF

1992 in spaceflight
Auron

Post by 1992 in spaceflight »

I seem to remember Achebe being tossed up twice in IS-100. (Anyone else have a better memory of those?)
Jacob O'Rourke
Washington (MO) HS Assistant Coach (2014-Present); MOQBA Secretary (2015-Present)
Formerly: AQBL Administrator (2020-2023); HSAPQ Host Contact; NASAT Outreach Coordinator (2016 and 2017); Kirksville HS Assistant Coach (2012-2014); Truman State '14; and Pacific High (MO) '10

Like MOQBA on Facebook and follow us on Twitter!
Down and out in Quintana Roo
Auron

Post by Down and out in Quintana Roo »

bt_green_warbler wrote:
IS #105 round 5 wrote:The Locofocos uniformly supported this act that was also backed by Thomas Hart Benton, and James K. Polk nearly lost his position as Speaker of the House over it. This law had an exception for certain types of material issued in Virginia, and Levi (*) Woodbury was charged with issuing it. For 10 points--name this act requiring government land to be purchased with gold or silver that touched off the Panic of 1837.

This is a pretty hard history tossup, made harder by the fact that it never mentions Andrew Jackson (i know it mentions everything else important, but when my AP History kids were asked to name important things about Andrew Jackson, specie circular would be in there, but even my best students who got 5's on the exam i'm sure would have no idea what the question is looking for until the word "gold"). Anyway, so just throwing in "Andrew Jackson" might have been a nice idea. That the question did not I think is an oversight.

EDIT: Also, i'd be curious to know an conversion stats you have on this question. It's very very hard to get 15 on this.
Mr. Andrew Chrzanowski
Caesar Rodney High School
Camden, Delaware
CRHS '97-'01
University of Delaware '01-'05
CRHS quizbowl coach '06-'12
http://crquizbowl.edublogs.org
Angry Babies in Love
Yuna

Post by Angry Babies in Love »

List of villages in West Virginia wrote:
bt_green_warbler wrote:

This is a pretty hard history tossup, made harder by the fact that it never mentions Andrew Jackson (i know it mentions everything else important, but when my AP History kids were asked to name important things about Andrew Jackson, specie circular would be in there, but even my best students who got 5's on the exam i'm sure would have no idea what the question is looking for until the word "gold"). Anyway, so just throwing in "Andrew Jackson" might have been a nice idea. That the question did not I think is an oversight.

EDIT: Also, i'd be curious to know an conversion stats you have on this question. It's very very hard to get 15 on this.
Agreed. It takes some crazy knowledge of that period to power it unless you're frauding off of "issued."
Raynell Cooper
Arcadia ES '04
Richard Montgomery HS '11
George Washington University '15
University of Maryland, College Park '17
Hella things, National History Bee and Bowl
Sniper, No Sniping!
Tidus

Can you post the Neruda, Oregon and Orange River tossups in 102, the Texas question in 98, and the Marquette question in 105 please? I apologize for the incessant requests (its probably driving you up the wall by the now).
Thomas Moore
Irreligion in Bangladesh
Auron

Post by Irreligion in Bangladesh »

Hayley Legg wrote:
bt_green_warbler wrote:

Agreed. It takes some crazy knowledge of that period to power it unless you're frauding off of "issued."
And even that is after power.
Brad Fischer
Head Editor, IHSA State Series
IHSSBCA Chair

Winnebago HS ('06)
Northern Illinois University ('10)
Assistant Coach, IMSA (2010-12)
Coach, Keith Country Day School (2012-16)
Charbroil
Auron

Post by Charbroil »

Bone seeker wrote:
Hayley Legg wrote:
bt_green_warbler wrote:

And even that is after power.
There's an "issued" a few words before power. Not that this isn't a hard tossup, of course.
Charles Hang
Francis Howell Central '09
St. Charles Community College '14
Washington University in St. Louis '19, 2x (President, 2017-19)

Owner, Olympia Academic Competition Questions, LLC
Question Writer, National Academic Quiz Tournaments, LLC and National History Bee and Bowl
Important Bird Area

Specie Circular: 1/22/7 in 37 rooms. The power clues were clearly too hard, and this would have been a better idea for HSNCT.
Jeff Hoppes
Editor emeritus, ACF