Predictions this year...

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
somerandomguy
Lulu

Predictions this year...

Post by somerandomguy »

With tournaments starting relatively soon, I'm curious what teams are supposed to be "good" this year. What are the teams you think people need to watch out for in the coming months?
ChopinManiac
Lulu

Post by ChopinManiac »

Attempting to keep from any shameless promoting of my own team :D , here is my predictions for Georgie. First of all, Walton is probably going to be the best team in the state as they defeated us last year in the state finals and did not lose any members of their starting four. Brookwood loses its captain as well as some other members of their A team, but they should be okay this year, I believe that their B team was pretty strong last yaer and that their A team did not just consist of seniors. Chatahoochee I have no idea about. Last year they did not have a good year until the prelims of state, but overall I believe that their team this year will surpass last year's if only because I believe their strongest player last year did not graduate. Heritage could be the sleeper of the year in the state of Georgia. Last year I believe that their jv and varsity team won state for their respective division and that their team consisted of 2 11th graders and three 10th graders. If they continue to keep up the good work, I have no doubt they will be good this year and possibly one of the best next year. Central Macon I know very little about but since they always seem to have a good team, I have no doubt that they will continue to do so. As for my own team (Milton), who knows, we will just have to see. Overall, the state of Georgia should be stronger as a whole this year than last, but maybe I am wrong.
eltennis9
Lulu

Post by eltennis9 »

How are the other teams in the Southeast like Dorman, James Island, Irmo, Ezell, etc.?

In Kentucky, the usual teams to watch are Manual, Russell, Johnson Central, and Daviess County. I, myself, know little about these teams for most of them lost their starters from last year. I do know that Manual will be a very sharp team because they lost only one starter. Russell has one starter back; we'll see how well they do. Johnson Central, as well, lost their whole starting lineup; in addition, we'll see how well they do. Daviess County only lost two starters, but those two were the stalwarts of the team. I do know one of the current starters, so I know they will still be a force to be reckoned with... Now, my team, Dunbar, also lost most of their starters including the Jeopardy champ and beast, John Zhang. I don't know how we'll do. We'll see at Ezell-Harding.
All the way...
Manyo2
Lulu

Post by Manyo2 »

Eltennis, I think I expect a little more out of Dunbar this year than you appear to. They will probably be somewhat down without John and some others and I don't know about their seniors, but their junior class is very strong and they should definetely be in the thick of things this year.

I see Russell as being maybe a little weaker than last year, but not by much, and they will certainly contend, as will Daviess and Johnson Central. A sleeper team at state will be Louisville Eastern. They lost a good deal to graduation, but their captain will be one of the best in the state imo. They will be a one-man show, but one capable of knocking off most anybody.

I agree with your assesment of Manual, as we we should be very strong this year, but nothing is certain until we start playing. Ezell in a couple of weeks should be a good measuring stick.
bigtrain
Rikku

Post by bigtrain »

The only team that impressed me at ACE was Dupont Manual. I havn't seen their team play together, but I saw many of their players individually and they looked pretty good.
eltennis9
Lulu

Post by eltennis9 »

Manyo2, we certainly have a exceptionally strong junior class, but our senior class can hold our own as well. None of the seniors went to ACE this past summer becuase of GSP, research, which is probably a reason you don't know about our seniors.

Who are you Manyo2? Who is the captain of Eastern?
All the way...
Manyo2
Lulu

Post by Manyo2 »

Eltennis, I would assume that you probably do have strong seniors, as weak classes aren't exactly the norm at Dunbar. I just haven't been exposed to them, or if I was I was, I don't remember it.

I'm Jack Hartz, and I was the captain of the Manual JV last year. Eastern's captain is Nick Wellkamp, who I have pretty healthy dose of respect for, particularly in math and fine arts.
uberaschung
Lulu
Location: Garrett Park, Maryland :: Walter Johnson High School

Post by uberaschung »

It goes without saying that Thomas Jefferson HS will have a good team this year.
No Sollositing On Premise
Tidus

Post by No Sollositing On Premise »

We (TJ) return three, and are [probably] replacing the one lost with B team's captain, who scored something like 85 ppg @ PACE (Dan). The B team will probably be all 05, with one returning starter/captain (Alex) and three more able replacements with A and B experience (probably Nick, Amy, and David, but I could be wrong...).

As for the rest of DC/MD/VA, I think we'll find the strongest showings from Blake, Gonzaga (both of whom return dangerous Michaels), Princess Anne (who return both team members from their surprise PACE playoffs appearance), and possibly WJ and RM (both of whom had a strong underclassmen presence).

If you're willing to go a few more states over, I think you could find Nationals contenders in State College and Raleigh Charter; the former a very strong team returning their top scorers (one of whom is Jaline Gerrardin's younger sister, yikes!) and the latter another PACE playoffs qualifier whose scoring majority came from underclassmen. There's my two cents.
Mike Sollosi, University of Virginia
bigtrain
Rikku

Post by bigtrain »

Mid-Atlantic predictions---I ended last season thinking that Gonzaga was going to be a better team than Blake, but that singles tournament changed my mind. This is because "The Michaels" (Braun from Blake and K-something from Gonzaga) are pretty much the only scorers on their team. Seeing as that Braun beat K-something, I would predict that Blake will be beating 'Zaga this year. Braun also impressed me at ACE...we were roomates and we flew down together (I taught the kid everything he knows :lol: ). As for my team...we had no seniors last year and hope to do very well this year. We have the strongest freshmen participation we have ever had this year, and will hopefully bring multiple teams to tournaments. As for our cross town arch rivals...Richard Montgomery should be very good next year...they return two players from the A team and bring in two players from their B team. Raleigh Charter had two very good players at ACE, they should be good. I believe that State College lost their captain for this season, but I am sure they have a lot of depth and will be just as good if not better than last year. Eleanor Roosevelt should also be pretty good. I believe Georgetown Day School only graduated one player-and that person was not in the top two. Therefore they should be better than last year. Centennial, a team that went to PACE loses their entire A team. One team that most of you havn't heard of that could be good this year is Whitman. They have a strong crop of kids from the class of '06. I'm sure that Howard, as always, will be good on "It's Academic", I don't know how they will be playing this year in other quiz bowl.

Oh yeah...some team 20 minutes south of us in Fairfax county should be pretty good this year. I think their name is Thomas Jefferson or something like that (cool)...
bigtrain
Rikku

Post by bigtrain »

A few teams I forgot about: Governor's school lost their entire A team, but will be able to come back strong for next year. Spotswood lost one player, their captain, but I don't think she was their leading scorer. Princess Anne: never seen them play. Banneker lost a few players, but will have good replacements. I hope they get a coach so they can come to some tournaments. Montgomery Blair, the good KMO team, loses their leading scorers, but has good replacements. Finally, Quince Orchard is now lacking an Akshay, and will definately struggle this year.
The Goffman Prophecies
Quizbowl Detective Extraordinaire

Post by The Goffman Prophecies »

This is a bit of a shameless plug, but how many of these Mid-Atlantic schools are planning on coming to the TJ/Maryland tournaments on the first weekend in October?

I'm curious to see how many of these predictions hold up after that weekend and the first round of It's Academic tapings.

Braun and some others also impressed me at Seth's summer singles tournament that he put together, though to be honest I wouldn't really be able to pair names with schools unless someone told me.
Dan Goff
HSQB sysadmin

Virginia Tech '13
South Carolina '15
and a couple other places
Not Thomas Dale HS

STAAATS
bigtrain
Rikku

Post by bigtrain »

I think that many teams won't want to go to two tournaments in one weekend. A lot of teams are going to pick between your tournament and TJ's. :roll: BTW...All of these teams should win their first round "It's Academic" tapings.
Tidus

Ooo, I forgot Spotswood. They return their leading scorer (Dan or Daniel, methinks) so they ought to be pretty good. Gov loses their entire A team but their depth last year came from a solid 06 class, so they ought to be pretty good next year and extremely good the following year.
Dan Greenstein
Yuna

Post by Dan Greenstein »

Banneker lost a few players, but will have good replacements. I hope they get a coach so they can come to some tournaments.
What happened to Mr. Tyson?
Tidus

msuter showed us some email excerpts awhile ago detailing that Doug Tyson is now working as a principal (I think) for an inner-city school. I don't think he is taking an active role in quiz bowl anymore, too bad, because he really sculpted some juggernauts over the years.

EDIT: Oh, and I'm fairly certain that the K in Gonzaga's Mike K stands for Kettler.
emactruman
Lulu

Post by emactruman »

I Michigan look out for DCC. They still have Joel Knight. I believe Churchill has most of last season's team back, but are probably only a threat in the state, not to win a national title.
Howard
Tidus

Post by Howard »

Dan Greenstein wrote:
Banneker lost a few players, but will have good replacements. I hope they get a coach so they can come to some tournaments.
What happened to Mr. Tyson?
Mr. Tyson is now the principal of a school in DC whose name I do not recall (if I ever knew it).
John Gilbert
Coach, Howard High School Academic Team
Ellicott City, MD

"John Gilbert is a quiz bowl god" -- leftsaidfred
bigtrain
Rikku

Post by bigtrain »

Mr. Tyson is the principal of Thurgood Marshall Academy Public Charter High School somewhere in DC.

Going a little bit off topic here: Michael Kettler of Gonzaga plays for Team DC at Panasonic. I think he should be playing for Team Maryland because he actually lives in "MOCO", Maryland.
jewtemplar
Wakka

Post by jewtemplar »

A note on Mr. Tyson:
He was, I believe, serving as principal of Thurgood Marshall HS in DC last year. However, this year he holds an administrative intern position at Thomas Jefferson. I'm not exactly sure what his job is, but I can assure you he's at TJ (I was surprised to see him in the hall the first day of school).
NRScout98
Lulu

Post by NRScout98 »

To expound on jewtemplar's remarks, Mr. Tyson is indeed at TJ now, and will be working at the school for at least the rest of this year.