Illinois 04-05

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
Trevkeeper
Tidus

Post by Trevkeeper »

I just got back from NAQT State at Loyola. First off, hats off to Mr. Riley and his team for pulling off a great tournament.

Secondly, congratulations to Stevenson A for winning, and Wheaton North A for second, and good job overall to all who participated.

New Trier and Wheaton North were playing for second in the last match, and going into the last tossup the score was: New Trier: 180 Wheaton North: 175. Wheaton North proceeded to answer said last tossup. VERY close.

Stevenson dominated all day, and beating Wheaton North and New Trier by large amounts. The Stevenson-NT game was 310-140, and the Stevenson-WN was something along those lines as well.

I'm sure others will chime in soon.

Once again, congratulations to all who participated!

EDIT: Took out the answer to a question.
Last edited by Trevkeeper on Sat Feb 26, 2005 8:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
biggreen
Lulu

Post by biggreen »

Was Auburn there?
Trevkeeper
Tidus

Post by Trevkeeper »

Nope, only 9 teams.

Maine South A
Maine South B
Wheaton North A
Wheaton North B
New Trier A
New Trier B
Stevenson A
Stevenson B
Loyola
mlaird
Tidus

Loyola NAQT

Post by mlaird »

Loyola NAQT Results posted here!
Trevkeeper
Tidus

Post by Trevkeeper »

Is anyone else having trouble with the team links? Or do they just simply not exist?
Stained Diviner
Auron

Post by Stained Diviner »

One of the links wasn't working, but enough info is there.

Nick--edit your mention of an answer. These questions may be used at other tournaments at a later date.

Everyone associated with Loyola--thanks for a great tournament!
Trevkeeper
Tidus

Post by Trevkeeper »

ReinsteinD wrote: Nick--edit your mention of an answer. These questions may be used at other tournaments at a later date.
D'oh! Perhaps this is that balance of Knowledge and Common Sense my Junior High Science teacher talked about. Anyway, done, and thanks for catching the mistake.
mlaird
Tidus

Post by mlaird »

Yeah, team details page is now up, I was updating in a hurry, and I kind of forgot to upload the teamdetails.html page. Whoops. So, go check it out now, I also fixed all the links. Just a tip, if you use the SQBS software, don't put a space in the name of the tournament; it throws EVERYTHING off.

Oh, and not to be biased or anything, but Stevenson 'A' only beat Loyola by five points, and it came down to the last question, which both teams blew. Alright, I've had my two sense. So, is anything going on next Saturday? or is everybody getting pumped for Regionals?

P.S. Anybody know where I can put our team's bloody webpage? I'm sick of geocities invasiveness, and The Academy won't let me host on their servers something of this magnitude. http://www.laschobowl.tk (beware pop-ups!)
Trevkeeper
Tidus

Post by Trevkeeper »

I think Masonic state is next Saturday, but I could be wrong.
dtaylor4
Auron

Post by dtaylor4 »

yeah, it's always two weeks after regionals, then the monday following marks the start of the ihsa state tourney
mlaird
Tidus

Post by mlaird »

Ah, I guess I wouldn't realize that, because a certain team from Wilmette never goes. The esteemed Mr. R. always reads at it, however, and he claims that's the reason why we don't play at it. "Conflict of interest" he says. "Bunk." I says.
dtaylor4
Auron

Post by dtaylor4 »

If the team doesn't qualify, I understand, but at least convince him to give his team a shot and they could possibly win some cake
mlaird
Tidus

Post by mlaird »

I know! Cake, man! Cake! That's what I'm talking about! We qualify easily, but no, not even Regionals! You don't know how bad I wanted to go last year too! I bet we would've at least made it in as a wildcard since all those chitown powerhouses seem to get lumped together. But we stood a fair chance! Alas, as I sit here, imagining the possibilites of us playing in state, then going to IHSA Regionals two days later, how things may have been different.... *sigh*
dtaylor4
Auron

Post by dtaylor4 »

Trust me, we have it easy down here. In the first round match i saw (we had the bye but had to be there since we always pile into tommy d's van), the final score was 80-20. I wouldn't be surprised if there were at least five other games with similar scores.
mlaird
Tidus

Post by mlaird »

Man, we need some restructuring, or some statewide seeding, of bloody something. But then, nothing's perfect. Anyways, I'm super excited for IHSA State this year, even though I can't play, I can play vicariously. Big time hardware is up for grabs this year, I hear. The trophy size is the same as the other IHSA state champ trophies, not like the paltry offerings of yesteryear. I wonder if it would be cool to drape a buzzer over the trophy, like there are nets on our basketball state trophies. That'd be awesome!
dtaylor4
Auron

Post by dtaylor4 »

Don't get overzealous. As for a statewide seeding, trust me, these schools downstate would never go for it.
biggreen
Lulu

Post by biggreen »

A damn shame too. A lot of good teams get prevented from going downstate due to some stiff competition within their sectional, the kind of which downstate teams don't necessarily have to face. Another solution would be expanding the state tournament bracket to 12 or 16 teams and inviting wild cards on the basis on points scored at the sectional, or state ranking. That way, some excellent teams in "bloodbath" sectionals would still get the chance to show their stuff downstate.
dtaylor4
Auron

Post by dtaylor4 »

If that happened, then why not just go back to single elimination?
dtaylor4
Auron

Post by dtaylor4 »

Now to continue the thread about masonic questions at the request of mr. egan.

Potato, around here, with those questions, we were lucky to get out alive as well. Those questions neutralized a lot of our strengths (lit, fine arts) and played right into the strengths of the other teams around here (weird ss, miscellaneous), and in our first round, we were down by 60-70 for part of the game. Of course we went on to win, but honestly, I wasn't banking on anything after that near-fiasco.
Tegan
Coach of AHAN Jr.

Post by Tegan »

It is a nice conversation, and a wonderful dream, but this will happen some time after the last cockroach keels over. To quote George Bush the Elder, Read my lips.....no state wildcards.

One of the oldest most important underlying principles of the IHSA is that there will be geographic diversity at the state finals....be it scholastic bowl, soccer, or even the sacred cow of basketball....football was on the gravy train for a while, but they must now submit to some geographic bracketing as well.

The reason, I partially agree with:.....this is after all an extracurricular activity, and not the end of the world when something goes kablooie. The best team should, in theory, win, and the rest of the hardware is divied up accordingly. While the IHSA state champion really is the state champion, I don't think anyone actually recognizes 2-8 as the real 2-8 (though sometimes those top four are compelling top 4 teams).

I really think it would be neat to have an invitational after the state series: invite the top 8 teams that did not win the state championships, as decided by objective criteria (tournament placings, W-L, etc), and invite them to an Illinois SIT (State Invitational Tournament)....lets face it, just like college basketball, the 64 teams in the NCAA T are not the best 64 teams in the nation......some of those conference champions and wild cards are not as good as the top teams in the NIT.......I think we could do it!

On the flip side, I know a couple of upstate schools that see this as all the excuse in the world to occasionally remind downstaters what they think of this geography thing and blow them into oblivion.

Of course, that ain't going to be happenin' this year! I can't remember there ever being a better possibility of such parity at the State Tournament......as I see it, there are at least six, if not seven teams that have a legit shot under the right circumstances to go the distance in Class AA.....and that very much includes the three teams that are predcted to advance out of the "non-Chicago" sectionals.
dtaylor4
Auron

Post by dtaylor4 »

So, lemme guess, NOBODY is gonna make a prediction as to who's getting ANY hardware?
Tegan
Coach of AHAN Jr.

Post by Tegan »

no way to really predict.......

for example......someone might say that Wheaton North has a shot at the top 4......but that assumes:

1. IMSA doesn't show up with five beasts with genetically altered brains that cause their opponents heads to explode

2. What if Fremd, the IMSA genetic mutants, Auburn, and the 5 headed aliens from Zontar all end up in the same bracket......all of a sudden its hard to predict who survives that bracket (in this case, literal survival).

It depends so much on how those final pools are drawn up. Even this year, with so much parity, it just seems like too close to call......even the sectionals are tough to call.

On paper, you go with Fremd in that bloodbath sectional, but Hoffman Estates can't be counted out, and Stevenson is finally in the zone.....not to mention Libertyville and Buffalo Grove.

On paper, you like New Trier to win their sectional, but there are a few scenarios that could play out: Deerfield could get lucky and win (and it wouldn't so much be luck necesarily).......Loyola could beat Maine South, and a tsunami could wipe out Winnetka and Deerfield sending Loyola downstate ........a tornado could plow through the far nothern suburbs, and Von Steuben could win the sectional. There could be swarm of locusts and Lake Forest makes it......New Trier looks to have sewn up the loose ends, but its not a 100% given as in years past....maybe 80% given. The Regional semifinal could have tons of pasta shape bonuses, and New Trier goes out in the first round.......or it could have several toss-ups related to FOX network television programming, and New Trier wins the state championship.

Marist....Fenwick....Marist....Fenwick.....Marist....Fenwick......surprise teams from the West Suburban League that no one has seen but miraculously wins the sectional...its happened!

Morton?????? Lincoln??????Bloomington?????? Morton looks great on paper, but I wouldn't look past a few of those other teams.

Too close to call.....and I'm not talking Election 2004 too close to call where everyone except the media had the thing called weeks in advance, I mean REALLY too close to call! Too much based on what the questions are and the final pools.
biggreen
Lulu

Post by biggreen »

On a lighter note, I'd like Fremd to win... I think there's a lot to be said for a state champion whose name means "strange" or "foreign."
dtaylor4
Auron

Post by dtaylor4 »

I'm calling my team (DMac), Morton, Fremd, Wheaton North (they've beaten IMSA in the sectional for three years in a row, why would that stop now), Auburn easily, I'm not deciding between NT and Deerfield, I see Fenwick going again, and who knows who's coming out of the BB sectional (I haven't seen or heard about any of those teams this year)
Trevkeeper
Tidus

Post by Trevkeeper »

I'm calling my team (DMac), Morton, Fremd, Wheaton North (they've beaten IMSA in the sectional for three years in a row, why would that stop now), Auburn easily, I'm not deciding between NT and Deerfield, I see Fenwick going again, and who knows who's coming out of the BB sectional (I haven't seen or heard about any of those teams this year)
I agree, except I have to pick New Trier, because if I don't, I might be shipped up the flagpole. :grin: Nah, that is a tough one to call, and I haven't seen Deerfield in action, and they've split, so...yeah.
dtaylor4
Auron

Post by dtaylor4 »

Trevkeeper wrote:I agree, except I have to pick New Trier, because if I don't, I might be shipped up the flagpole. :grin: Nah, that is a tough one to call, and I haven't seen Deerfield in action, and they've split, so...yeah.
I understand your point of view, considering the fact that your coach frequents the boards (mine does not as far as i know). I'm going on the fact that Deerfield went last year and Bilow's back, so, yeah.
Trevkeeper
Tidus

Post by Trevkeeper »

Yeah, being a Sophomore, and more importantly, in my first year if Scobol, I don't really know what went on last year. I can just go by what I read/hear, and that isn't all too much about last year. This year, I know they've split, both times I wasn't there (Since I'm a Sophomore).

And it's not really, a matter of the fact that my Coach frequents the boards, I just personally didn't want to call that game. Not only because the facts don't really give a definitive answer, but because I would feel like I'd be blindly supporting my team if I went for New Trier (Although I will admit to a small percentage of bias that thinks/wants me to think New Trier), and I'd rather have informed opinions than blind ones.
mlaird
Tidus

Post by mlaird »

Tegan wrote: On paper, you like New Trier to win their sectional, but there are a few scenarios that could play out: Deerfield could get lucky and win (and it wouldn't so much be luck necesarily).......Loyola could beat Maine South, and a tsunami could wipe out Winnetka and Deerfield sending Loyola downstate ........
As much as I am in favor of natural disasters in Winnetka, I don't think that any of them could take out New Trier (with the possible exception of the Alien Attack one from the original SimCity). I forsee NT downstate. Alongside them, I see Auburn, Dmac, Fenwick, Wheaton North, Lincoln-Way East (gotta have an upset in there somewhere), Morton (The Don speaks highly of them),
and....
well....
hmmmm....
I do believe I'll take Fremd.
Tegan
Coach of AHAN Jr.

Post by Tegan »

There's nothing wrong with any of those picks......on paper, they are the picks to go with, and they aren't all #1 seeds either. All I'm saying is that the past few years there have been trends in IHSA questions that tend to neutralize stronger teams, thus permitting upsets to happen...I'm just saying that in certain sectionals, there exist possibilities for Mircle on Ice moments to happen, where they would not normally be expected to happen.

That's all I'm saying.
dtaylor4
Auron

Post by dtaylor4 »

I don't think it's necessarily "miracle on ice", because the way i see it, any team can beat any other team on any given day of the week. if a team is not ready, willing and able to win, they will lose. any obstacles must be overcome, for this case i will use the maine south victory at regionals last year. from what i heard from someone at ultima, all the lit PLEASE MAKE FUN OF ME BECAUSE I SPEAK NEITHER LATIN NOR ENGLISH got buried. if that happens, you get what you can on the other PLEASE MAKE FUN OF ME BECAUSE I SPEAK NEITHER LATIN NOR ENGLISH
Tegan
Coach of AHAN Jr.

Post by Tegan »

DaGeneral wrote:for this case i will use the maine south victory at regionals last year. from what i heard from someone at ultima, all the lit PLEASE MAKE FUN OF ME BECAUSE I SPEAK NEITHER LATIN NOR ENGLISH got buried. if that happens, you get what you can on the other PLEASE MAKE FUN OF ME BECAUSE I SPEAK NEITHER LATIN NOR ENGLISH
What that person at Ultima might not have mentioned is that literature was Maine South's bread and butter category....math was our weakest category, and we still managed to sweep 2 math bonuses, and take 3/4 on another. Loyola did get straddeled with a rather large percentage of science bonuses, but still managed to get a healthy percentage of them.

I agree up to an extent....not any team can beat any other team on any give day, given a fair distribution of questions (for some schools on Da' nort' Shore, a fair distribution of questions means 80% humanities and 20% other........)....but on a fair distribution of questions, a great team will win over a vastly inferior team all of the time......if two teams are close, then it becomes a crap shoot based on the questions (style and content)......

another example, if the questions are buzzer beaters, the great teams are somewhat neutralized, and a team a few notches lower can then win on a fair question set......
Stained Diviner
Auron

Masonics State is being seeded based on average number of points at Sectionals. The seed order is: Auburn, Fremd, New Trier, IMSA, Morton, Dec Mac, Pittsfield, Bloomington, Normal West, Glenwood, O'Fallon, Carbondale, Peoria Heights, Fairfield, Galena, Moline.

The bracket order is: Auburn, Moline, Bloomington, Normal West, IMSA, Peoria Heights, Pittsfield, Glenwood, Fremd, Galena, Dec Mac, O'Fallon, New Trier, Fairfield, Morton, Carbondale.

The bracket order doesn't line up exactly with the seeds in the second round. (It's 1v8, 4v7, 2v6, 3v5.) I don't know whether this will change or not. This is all based on a mailing sent from the Masons to coaches.
dtaylor4
Auron

Post by dtaylor4 »

Now the question is, who's goin home with checks saturday?
Stained Diviner
Auron

They are leaving the brackets as is even though the second round is slightly uneven. It sets up a possible Fremd v Dec Mac match to reach the Final Four.
dtaylor4
Auron

Post by dtaylor4 »

For us (D Mac) to go all the way, we'd have to go through Fremd, NT, and Auburn. If we lose, we'd probably have to face Morton in the semis, and the winner of that match would probably win consolation
Stained Diviner
Auron

Congrats to Fremd, the new Masonic State Champs!

(Auburn 2nd, Morton 3rd, Pittsfield 4th, IMSA Consolation)
Trevkeeper
Tidus

Post by Trevkeeper »

I'd like to thank the Masons, they put on a great tournament.

We definitely didn't play well, but hey, it happens to everyone.

Congratulations to Fremd!
dtaylor4
Auron

Post by dtaylor4 »

Yes, congrats are due to those teams, even through the worst tournament set ever read for high school, still came out on top
morpheus
Lulu

Post by morpheus »

There were definitely some strange questions yesterday, but it was still great beating some tough competition to secure the championship. :smile:

I couldn't really imagine winning the championship match against Auburn, a team we (the seniors at Fremd) last played--and lost to--our sophomore year. Hopefully we can carry the momentum from this weekend through regionals and sectionals, and finally make it downstate.
dtaylor4
Auron

Post by dtaylor4 »

question, who beat stevenson at the masonic regional?
morpheus
Lulu

Post by morpheus »

I believe it was Deerfield that beat Stevenson in the first round.
Stained Diviner
Auron

To see the Stevenson Sectional bracket, go to http://www.dist113.org/dhs/depts/scienc ... asonic.jpg

Deerfield did in fact beat Stevenson in the first round.

To see an article on the IHSSBCA Hall of Fame, go to
http://www.sj-r.com/sections/news/stories/49630.asp
dtaylor4
Auron

Post by dtaylor4 »

As a spectator, I did enjoy the Hall of Fame ceremony, dap is due to those who were involved in the process, and I gotta show some love to Marty for his entertaining speech about Durbin.
Sebastian
Lulu

Post by Sebastian »

Regarding Regionals (in hopes of beating ihsa.org to the punch)...

Buffalo Grove won the Libertyville regional, defeating Libertyville in the final by about 150 points.

See y'all at Stevenson on Saturday.
"Why would you want to touch anything that's been in my mouth?"
Skepticism and Animal Feed
Auron

Post by Skepticism and Animal Feed »

My old high school (Roycemore in Evanston) finally won its first regional tonight, a former teammate tells me. What wonders being moved out of Latin's region do for you!
Bruce
Harvard '10 / UChicago '07 / Roycemore School '04
ACF Member emeritus
My guide to using Wikipedia as a question source
solonqb
Rikku

Post by solonqb »

Now the question is, which Illinois teams will be at NAQT? It is shaping up to be a massive convergence of most of the at least halfway decent teams in the country, and as such, would offer Illinois teams that national measuring stick they've been looking for.
Noah Rahman
Welcome to Simbabwe, where the property is already owned and the houses built and you compete to burn and dispossess them. Compete with Robert Mugabe, Canaan Banana, Cecil Rhodes and Sir Godfrey Huggins to earn a place on the all-time EU travel ban list!
HAHAHA
Lulu

Post by HAHAHA »

Sebastian wrote:Regarding Regionals (in hopes of beating ihsa.org to the punch)...

Buffalo Grove won the Libertyville regional, defeating Libertyville in the final by about 150 points.

See y'all at Stevenson on Saturday.
Fremd won our regional, so I guess we'll have a rematch of the MSL championship.
Trevkeeper
Tidus

Post by Trevkeeper »

New Trier won its regional.

Also, yes, the Hall of Fame ceremony was quite nice/entertaining.
mlaird
Tidus

Post by mlaird »

Mathew Laird, reporting in from Park Ridge. Loyola Academy managed to defeat Maine South in the final round of their Regional.
Trevkeeper
Tidus

Post by Trevkeeper »

Wow, that must have been a good match. What was the score?