Illinois 04-05

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
mlaird
Tidus

Post by mlaird »

It was along the lines of (I don't remember exactly; wait for Constable Egan to get on here) 299-235.
Tegan
Coach of AHAN Jr.

Post by Tegan »

Trevkeeper wrote:Wow, that must have been a good match. What was the score?

299-215......Loyola put us away with two questions remaining.

Loyola opened a 112-26 lead, claiming the first four toss-ups, and converting 62/100 in the bonus, before the Hawks managed a pair of interrupts to bring the score to 116-74......and 178-153 at the half.

Maine South opened the second half with toss-up and 5 in bonus to draw to 183-168. Questions 18-21 saw only one toss-up answered (leading to a Loyola bonus sweep). At question 25, Maine South again clawed back to 229-197, but never got any closer.

It was interesting, because last year, Loyola had a mostly senior team, and Maine South had a lot of juniors....last year, Maine South played nearly mistake free, while Loyola made two critical errors. This year, Loyola had the junior laden team while Maine South had the seniors, and Maine South made one mistake too many, while Loyola played a strong game to the end. Congratulations Loyola.

I can also pass on that Von Steuben beat St. Ignatius and Maine East to advance.

You sure must drive fast, Dr. Laird!
mlaird
Tidus

Post by mlaird »

Tegan wrote:You sure must drive fast, Dr. Laird!
Well, you know what they call me. "115." Oh, and I only live in Saugatrash. Not far from Skokie/Niles/Edison Park, wherever the heck we were. I always lose my bearings around that area.
Last edited by mlaird on Tue Mar 08, 2005 3:08 pm, edited 2 times in total.
biggreen
Lulu

Post by biggreen »

Be grateful. That Rockford-Streator trip my sophomore and junior years was something I could have easily done without. Nothing like 2 hours on a bus on a weeknight.

Of course, being flush with victory makes any trip easier.
Stained Diviner
Auron

Post by Stained Diviner »

I'm updating http://www.ihssbca.org Tournament Central with Regional winners as fast as I get the info. So far, I have Nashville, Winnebago, Macon Meridian, and Evanston Roycemore in Class A; and Lockport, Oak Park Fenwick, Winnetka New Trier, Wilmette Loyola, Chicago Von Steuben, Buffalo Grove, Palatine Fremd, Hoffman Estates, and Wheaton-Warrenville South in Class AA. The biggest upset is Nashville, who took out #1 seed and last year's State Runner Up Carterville.
dtaylor4
Auron

Post by dtaylor4 »

General Taylor, reporting that Dec Mac did in fact win their regional. biggreen, don't complain, saturday we have a 3-hr trip to carbondale for our sectional.
biggreen
Lulu

Post by biggreen »

All right -- that takes the cake.
dtaylor4
Auron

Post by dtaylor4 »

i wasn't telling the whole truth, actually we're leaving town at 5 friday after school and staying the night (last time we left town before seven am the day of a tournament we lost the first game)
Stained Diviner
Auron

I finally reached the halfway point...

Class A Regional Winners (seed in parentheses)
Breese Mater Dei Sectional: Nashville (8), Herrin (7)
Bridgeport Red Hill Sectional: Fairfield (1)
Byron Sectional: Winnebago (1), Woodstock Marian (3)
Carlinville Sectional: Litchfield (2)
Decatur St. Teresa Sectional: Macon Meridian (1)
Farmington Sectional: Eureka (8)
Hamilton Sectional: Rock Falls (X)
Seneca Sectional: Evanston Roycemore (4), Chicago Latin (2), Coal City (6)

Class AA Regional Winners (seed in parentheses)
Bradley-Bourbonnais Sectional: Lockport (6)
Carbondale Sectional: Springfield (4), Decatur MacArthur (1)
Chicago Marist Sectional: Oak Park Fenwick (2), LaGrange Lyons (X)
Chicago St. Ignatius Sectional: Winnetka New Trier (1), Wilmette Loyola (6), Chicago Von Steuben (5), Deerfield (3)
Galesburg Sectional: Bloomington (3), Normal Community West (5)
Lincolnshire Stevenson Sectional: Buffalo Grove (5), Palatine Fremd (1), Hoffman Estates (3), Lincolnshire Stevenson (2)
Rockford Guilford Sectional: Rockford Auburn (1)
Wheaton North Sectional: Wheaton-Warrenville South (2), Wheaton North (1), Naperville North (5), Aurora IMSA (3)
Stained Diviner
Auron

Never mind. IHSA has them all.
Irreligion in Bangladesh
Auron

Post by Irreligion in Bangladesh »

Unnecessary: posted on end of last page, without knowing it continued
dtaylor4
Auron

Post by dtaylor4 »

my predictions are as follows: dec mac, wn, nt, morton, bb, auburn, stevenson, and fenwick. any objections?
potato0328
Lulu

Post by potato0328 »

i'm pretty sure our team would object to one of those specifically. but i guess we're gonna have to win another state tournament to get some respect.
directly from Fremd High School...
dtaylor4
Auron

Post by dtaylor4 »

my apologies, i did mean fremd
Irreligion in Bangladesh
Auron

My 16 state teams are:

Class A: Bago, Nashville, Pittsfield, Macon, Eureka, Fairfield, Elmhurst, and Port Byron.

Class AA: DMac, Morton, Fremd, WN, Auburn, NT, Fenwick, and BB. (nothing like parity)

Class AA trophy rankings:
1. Fremd
2. Auburn
3. NT
4. WN

Now watch all 4 of those in the same pool.
Gordon Gekko
Lulu

Post by Gordon Gekko »

styxman wrote:
Class AA trophy rankings:
1. Fremd
2. Auburn
3. NT
4. WN

Now watch all 4 of those in the same pool.
Actually if you look at the IHSA site and it looks like they may have already done the draw with the class AA sectionals going from 2,5,6,8 in the top half and 7,4,3 and 1 in the bottom. For those of you playing along at home that could mean a top half of D. Mac, Morton, Fremd/Stevenson (if i had to make a call i would say Fremd but i don't like making calls) and Wheaton N/IMSA and a bottom of Auburn, NT, Fenwick, and Lincoln Way East....in which case your rankings would hold up...

Class A would go...3,1,4,5 on top and 6,2,8,7...but since i know little about these teams i won't speculate who will come out there....

Note all this is speculation but i would be willing to bet that the draw has been done and that is the order just based on comparing last years regional winner post from IHSA to this years....
Irreligion in Bangladesh
Auron

Ah, I see, I see....that makes sense, and is probably right. I'll adjust that now...

Pool 1:
1st: Fremd
2nd: WN
3rd: DMac
4th: Morton

Pool 2:
1st: Auburn
2nd: NT
3rd: Fenwick
4th: Lincoln Way East (I got to thinking after I posted last, about LWE, and how I left them out...decided to change it if they were, in fact, in a moderately easy sectional. I decided to put them in.)

Fremd over Auburn
NT over WN
DMac over Fenwick
Morton over LWE
(anyone else believe we should have 5th and 7th place games in the bracketed IHSA sports, including Scholastic Bowl? You don't have to give them trophies, and for 75% of the teams involved, it looks better than Elite Eight on a banner/plaque. For basketball, etc., with 2-day tournaments, it could be a problem (extra hotel costs, transportation, etc. for schools, timing of games for arena, etc.), but there's no reason not to have it in Scholastic Bowl. We already have the rooms and moderators/timers for the day...)

I know as little about Class A as most people here, with the exception of my sectional and the results from state last year (which mean little, as only 3 sectional winners from last year won even a regional this year) I know that the Elmhurst/Latin sectional winner is a likely pool winner, and that Nashville either got good or lucky to win Carterville's regional, and that's it.

If this pooling system is the case, I can stop worrying about the Latin/Elmhurst sectional as much as I had been. How good is Pittsfield? I know they got 4th at Masonic state, but placing 4th in any Masonic speaks nothing of ability without more information. They might have gotten through NT to get there, or they might have gone through weak teams.
dtaylor4
Auron

Post by dtaylor4 »

FYI, Morton beat NT to get to the champ side of the bracket. Pittsfield beat Peoria Heights (I think) to get to the final four, and PH beat IMSA in the first round.
HAHAHA
Lulu

Post by HAHAHA »

In all fairness, New Trier was missing Blair Nathan, which is a significant loss. Especially in Masonic, which had a large share of Social Studies bonuses.
Trevkeeper
Tidus

Post by Trevkeeper »

Yeah, it's true we lost to Morton and were missing Blair, but in all fairness, they deserved to win that match in every possible way. They beat us to the buzzer countless times, and Smillie simply mowed us down. He must have gotten something like 7, 8, or 9 tossups that match (out of 20). He was on fire.

We also lost against IMSA, although that was fairly close. Simply put, we didn't play well last saturday. Hopefully the team will play much better the next two saturdays.
morpheus
Lulu

Post by morpheus »

Jeez, everyone's picking us (Fremd) to win state :grin: . My team did play Stevenson at Loyola Ultima earlier this year short two starters (the captain, and myself), but still managed to win. However, I'm pretty sure the format is unusual, and I also heard that Stevenson's been on as of late. And Hoffman and BG are pretty good teams too. Hoffman is one of the three teams that beat us, and BG has several very good players.
Tegan
Coach of AHAN Jr.

Post by Tegan »

I appreciate the patience, and am glad that no one has started the "where's the All-State" list thread yet, but......

the Class A voting is done, and is under final approval for today. The final list should be availble by Tuesday.

Class AA will be under final approval tonight, and hopefully should be available by Tuesday.

The rule is, we will not publicly post until we have made an honest effort to inform the coach...I think it is more appropriate to have the player informed by their coach first.

Every member of the All-State team receives a medal, a certificate for themselves, and one for the school, an all expense paid trip to four to the awards ceremony at the Sheraton Waikiki in Honolulu, a Timex Chronograph, 4 hours of ukelele lessons from Don Ho, a year's supply of beefamato (for that sweet tomato flavor, and the great taste of Angus), and free tickets to the lecture "From Budapest to Louisville: A Candid 4 hours with Loyola's Coach Riley"

[note: everything after the certificates is pending approval of the Board of the Coaches Association]

Soon....very very soon.

And a reminder: the team you accidentally give bulletin board material to today, could be pounding the living daylights out of you tomorrow. Stay cool, and good luck to all teams......if you are going to Stevenson this weekend...bring survival gear and a flak jacket.....
biggreen
Lulu

Post by biggreen »

And don't even count on the medal or the certificate, given past experience. :grin:
Tidus

Post by mlaird »

biggreen wrote:And don't even count on the medal or the certificate, given past experience. :grin:
Burn!
Taylor: 1 Egan: 0
STPickrell
Auron

Post by STPickrell »

Hey, I know this is like a super newbie question for IL Scholastic Bowl but are the regionals and sectionals fixed, or are they drawn up anew every year? (Also are they the same for every sport?)

In the VHSL they shake up things every year but usually only 2-5 schools will get moved between A/AA/AAA and as such the districts and regions are usually pretty fixed. Districts and regions are the same for every sport, too.
Shawn Pickrell, HSAPQ CFO
David Riley
Auron

Post by David Riley »

There are eight sectionals in each of Class A (small schools) and Class AA(large schools--although the breakoff point is something like 700 students). Some sectionals canhave as many as 40 teams; which given the tournament structure is a problem that we' would like to rectify. This is further complicated by the fact that there are few Class AA schools in the southern part of the state and few Class A schools in the northern part of the state, which mean some teams are expected to drive some 3-4 hours to attend the sectional seeding meeting (although they can fax their record if need be). Are the sectionals "fixed? Not exactly...some teams end up in the same sectional every year, others move around (all supposedly based upon geographical considerations). It's far from a perfect system.
Tegan
Coach of AHAN Jr.

Post by Tegan »

The Sectionals are relatively fixed......relatively meaning that from year-to-year there is some change as the borders are slightly redrawn to refelect teams moving up or down from Class A and AA, and as schools get added or choose not to particiapte in a given year (not much of this, but it does happen). The sectionals are based strictly on geography (not always logically so).

In February, the coaches of the sectional meet and choose the best 8 teams in the sectional, and seed them 1-8. Each sectional has 4 regionals. 1 and 8 are in one regional, 2 & 7 in another, etc. The top seed gets the first choice to host. If they pass, their opposite seed gets a chance. If they pass, anyone can jump in and host.

Each regional has anywhere between 5 and 12 teams, and are played in a single elimination format (non-seeded teams are geographically assigned to a regional, and are randomly given a starting position in the bracket).

The four regional winners then meet five days later to play a three round round robin sectional, with the winner based on record, head-to-head, and then total points.

Both classes have 8 sectionals each. The 8 sectional winners advance to the State Tournament. Each of the 8 winners is randomly placed in one of two pools. They play a three round round-robin similar to sectionals. The winner of each pool plays for the State Title, and the Runners-Up in each pool play for thrid and fourth place.
Tegan
Coach of AHAN Jr.

Post by Tegan »

biggreen wrote:And don't even count on the medal or the certificate, given past experience. :grin:
Huh? Did you not get something that was owed to you?

It can be rectified....I can even arrange for a big a parade in downtown Rockford....

(oops....I know you didn't want anyone to know you came from R'ford)
:twisted: :hose:

Coach Laird's scoreboard:
Egan: 1
Former Class AA Players of the Year: 1

(seriously....it can be fixed)
biggreen
Lulu

Post by biggreen »

Haha, I didn't get a medal my senior year, but it's not that big a deal. I just like giving coaches grief. And Rockford is a lovely place from which to hail. Just ask Cheap Trick or John B. Anderson.
dtaylor4
Auron

Post by dtaylor4 »

The sad part is that teams like BG, Hoffman, Stevenson, and Fremd have to beat each other up to get to state, but teams like us (dec mac) pretty much tear through pansies to earn a berth. I'd say that at least half the teams up north (by that i mean around or above I-80) could win our sectional
Sebastian
Lulu

Post by Sebastian »

Look, it's true that we (BG, Fremd, Hoffman, and Stevenson) have a difficult sectional, but there's no use in complaining about it. I think I speak for the four teams when I say that while we appreciate the sympathies expressed, this phenomenon is not rare. It's time to move on. To borrow a cliche, what doesn't kill one of the four teams only makes it stronger.
"Why would you want to touch anything that's been in my mouth?"
dtaylor4
Auron

Post by dtaylor4 »

biggreen wrote:Haha, I didn't get a medal my senior year, but it's not that big a deal. I just like giving coaches grief. And Rockford is a lovely place from which to hail. Just ask Cheap Trick or John B. Anderson.
Trust me, don't give coaches (at least those you play under) grief, otherwise they'll remind you of embarrassing events (of which I lost count at 12). As per predictions for all-state, I see myself (again), everyone else from team illinois, the senior alex from fremd, devin patel, and i can't think of anyone else.
Admiral
Lulu

Post by Admiral »

All-State 2005....hmmmmmm

While I can't be too sure in Class A, I think: Tyler Kerr, the guy from Morton, the guy from Stevenson, the entire Fremd team, the math guy from Wheaton North the guy from Maine East, the girl from Lisle....the token New Trier kid (I'm not insulting..they're really that good), and someone from Stevenson.

Maybe someone else from downstate, if there was anyone else besides the Morton guy who was really good.
"The first rule of quiz bowl is that you do not talk about quiz bowl.....Second Rule...last names only!"
dtaylor4
Auron

Post by dtaylor4 »

Isn't Lisle Class A? As for this Maine East kid, I haven't seen him play. As per your last comment, there are a few good teams south of I-80
Tegan
Coach of AHAN Jr.

Post by Tegan »

The Illinois High School Scholastic Bowl Coaches Association (IHSSBCA) is pleased to announce the Class A All-State Team for 2004-05. The selection was made by a group of coaches covering every sectional in the state which responded with nominees:

FIRST TEAM
Jim Bock.....................Macon (Meridian)
Matt Davis...................Farmington
Brad Fischer................Winnebago
Ben Fraley...................Colfax (Ridgeview)
Shauna Guanaratne......Lisle (Sr)
Rob Koehler.................Roanoke (R.-Benson)**
Daniel Moore................Springfield (Lutheran)
Ben Post......................Elmhurst (Timothy Christian)*
Patrick Shanley............Byron
Dylan Troxel................Peoria Heights

SECOND TEAM
Joseph Brancheck........Trenton (Wesclin)
Chris Daigle................Litchfield
Clint Frederick.............Cisne*
Kendall King................Fairfield
Ben Lyons...................Riverton
Alexander Morgan........Alton (Marquette)
Preston Prior...............Benton
Nicholas Pretnar..........Hillsboro
Evan Roderick.............Pittsfield
Jacob Simmering.........Stillman Valley
Edward Visel...............Winnebago

**denotes previous First-Team honoree
*denotes previous Second-Team honoree
Last edited by Tegan on Fri Mar 11, 2005 9:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
STPickrell
Auron

Post by STPickrell »

Hey thanks for the explanations, folks! I guess records are compiled from whatever leagues and tournaments people play at. Is this how things work in other IHSA activities?

In VA, the independent tournaments continue along outside the VHSL series ... buit sadly, some regions are more high-growth than others.

For example, Region II in Group AA (700-1500 students) has twice as many schools as Region IV and is adding new schools every year, whereas Region IV just turned four schools into two. But none of the schools and Districts want to move between Regions.

So, I've heard they are considering letting Region II send four teams to states, Regions I and III send three and Region IV only two. That's just one of the ideas. That actually seems to have some support. For Scholastic Bowl, it means the Region II, the Region of Death (it contains Spotswood, Lee and Charlottesville, as well as 3-5 teams who'll slit the above three's metaphorical throats in a heartbeat if they're not careful) will be more fairly represented.

Of course, if the VHSL moves to a 4-A system all this gets jumbled up .. the tiniest schools in far Southwestern VA are all for it, and there's growing opinion in the rest of the state that this might not be a bad idea. In that case, I'm thrown for a bit of a loop but nothing I can't manage. :-)
Shawn Pickrell, HSAPQ CFO
Tegan
Coach of AHAN Jr.

Post by Tegan »

StPickrell wrote:Is this how things work in other IHSA activities?
It is. Sports like track simply seed players based on PB's for the season. Football does not allow every team into the playoffs, so they go by record, then strength of schedule (opponents wins).
Wrestling is the only mandatory attendance seeding meeting because they seed individual wrestlers instead of teams), and there are issues regarding weight, weigh-ins, and a bunch of health issues that have to be cleared up. Sports like basketball and volleyball will seed every team, not just the top 8.
biggreen
Lulu

Post by biggreen »

Good luck to all teams at sectionals!
Stained Diviner
Auron

We were beating Deerfield 227-116 after 16 questions. At the end of the match, we still had 227. They had more.

Good luck to all!
Irreligion in Bangladesh
Auron

Woodstock Marian Central Catholic won the Byron sectional, followed by Byron, Winnebago, and Galena. Bago scored the most total points, beating Byron by 2 and Marian by 17, but with a 10 point loss to WM and a meaningless 40 point loss to Byron, went 1-2.

Good luck for those playing in the next round.
Trevkeeper
Tidus

Post by Trevkeeper »

Yep, as Mr. Reinstein said, New Trier went 2-1, losing to Deerfield. I think the order was: Deerfield, New Trier, Von Steuben, and Loyola. Good luck to Deerfield, and all teams participating in Peoria next week, and good job to all teams today.
potato0328
Lulu

Post by potato0328 »

Fremd lost a REAL tough match to Stevenson (by 13 points). A lot of uncharacteristic errors by us (only 2 toss-ups in the first half) and enough capitalization by them did us in. Good luck to everyone at state.
directly from Fremd High School...
jagluski
Wakka

Post by jagluski »

As an alum from the Class of 2000, Congratulations to Stevenson!
mrsmiley4
Lulu

Post by mrsmiley4 »

Would like to add my voice to Joel's Class-of-2000-Alumni congratulations to Stevenson. Woohoo! It warms my heart to see SHS consistently doing well at the IHSA tournament (and, it seems, at the NAQT state championship as well).

The Sectional for the North-Northwest Suburbs of Chicago has always sort of struck me as the AL East of the IHSA Scholastic Bowl world-- there are all those good teams in there, but it can't be helped because to do the groupings otherwise would mess with geography. I think I actually wrote a letter complaining about this arrangement to the IHSA Scholastic Bowl coordinator after our loss in the 1999 sectionals, but it's amazing what being 6 years removed from a situation can do for your perspective :)

Congratulations to all sectional champions, and to all teams who made it even as far as the sectional final-- it takes quite a lot of talent to get to that point as well.
Last edited by mrsmiley4 on Sat Mar 12, 2005 8:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jagluski
Wakka

Post by jagluski »

potato0328 wrote:i'm pretty sure our team would object to one of those specifically. but i guess we're gonna have to win another state tournament to get some respect.

If I were you, next time, I wouldn't count my chickens before they hatch.
HAHAHA
Lulu

Post by HAHAHA »

Yeah, except for the fact that he was right. There were a myriad of factors that contributed to the match. I'm not making excuses; we played extremely poorly. But I think if we replayed that match, the outcome would have been different.
jagluski
Wakka

Post by jagluski »

HAHAHA wrote:Yeah, except for the fact that he was right. There were a myriad of factors that contributed to the match. I'm not making excuses; we played extremely poorly. But I think if we replayed that match, the outcome would have been different.

The problem is, that doesn't matter. You can't replay the match.
Trevkeeper
Tidus

Post by Trevkeeper »

Potato was simply saying that after winning the Masonic Tournament, they (Fremd) were still picked to not leave their Sectional. This is especially interesting, because they had to beat Stevenson to get to Masonic State. I think that was what he was saying. I could be wrong, but that's just how I took it. He never said, "We're going to win, Stevenson has no chance." I BELIEVE he was saying, "At least GIVE us a chance." That's all...I think.

Anyway, that's all, and that's just what I personally think he said. I could be wrong, I could be right. Hopefully, I don't see two people argue on these normally friendly boards.
HAHAHA
Lulu

Post by HAHAHA »

jagluski wrote:The problem is, that doesn't matter. You can't replay the match.
No, we can't. I was just defending a valid statement issued by my teammate. And honestly, I think that your comment was completey out of line. You were not there, you do not know the circumstances of the match, I don't think you need to be so smug.

And New Trier folks, which match was it that you lost to Deerfield?
jagluski
Wakka

Post by jagluski »

Nope...no fight coming. I just wanted to make the point that maybe next time, you(he) shouldn't be so offended(for lack of a better word) when they pick against your team.

The implication of his statement was "Well, we won one state title, how in the world could you not pick us to win our sectional?"

I'm done speaking on this topic now...I just wanted to make the point to start with that overconfidence could be a downfall.