HSNCT Fiesta

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
kayli
Auron

HSNCT Fiesta

Post by kayli »

This didn't really pan out last year probably due to lack of organization, but I think it would be fun if the quizbowl community could get together and do something fun together. This could be before or after a side event, or it could be a thing of its own. Anyway, what does everyone think of a gathering of people for something social? If everyone brings a couple drinks and snacks and gaming consoles it could be fun. It's also a good way to recruit players for college programs because then they'll see that not everyone in quizbowl is an antisocial turd.

EDIT: Also, there won't be shibaricon people to worry about this year.
Kay, Chicago.
Mewto55555
Tidus

Re: HSNCT Fiesta

Post by Mewto55555 »

Ar$oni$t$ Get All the Girl$ wrote: Also, there won't be shibaricon people to worry about this year.
That was the fiesta.
Max
formerly of Ladue, Chicago
i never see pigeons in wheeling
Rikku

Re: HSNCT Fiesta

Post by i never see pigeons in wheeling »

Ar$oni$t$ Get All the Girl$ wrote:This didn't really pan out last year probably due to lack of organization, but I think it would be fun if the quizbowl community could get together and do something fun together. This could be before or after a side event, or it could be a thing of its own. Anyway, what does everyone think of a gathering of people for something social? If everyone brings a couple drinks and snacks and gaming consoles it could be fun. It's also a good way to recruit players for college programs because then they'll see that not everyone in quizbowl is an antisocial turd.

EDIT: Also, there won't be shibaricon people to worry about this year.
Considering that as of now the HSNCT field has been expanded to 224 teams, it will probably be incredibly difficult to pull something off with the sheer scale of players who are probably going to attend. Who would we consider the "quizbowl community" in this case? The people who frequent these boards are a tiny minority of those who are going to attend HSNCT, so the vast majority of people would be left out if only the hsqb people hear about it. If there's an announcement for such an event by HSNCT staff, the response would probably be far beyond the capacity of the provided recreational materials. That simply would not be viable in any case. I'm inclined to think that opportunities to get quizbowlers to mingle in a fun social setting would be fantastic, but it should only be attempted in a logistically sound manner.
And as for your comments about "antisocial turds," the people who would attend a national tournament for quizbowlers probably would not have that impression of quizbowlers since it would imply thinking of themselves that way.
Ankit
Cal '16
Bellarmine College Preparatory '12