July 31: Singles at UMD

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
Seths
Lulu

July 31: Singles at UMD

Post by Seths »

Yes, on Saturday, July 31 at the University of Maryland in College Park, there will be a Summer Singles Tournament. We will be using the questions from ACF Fall 2003.

Anyone who played on a local A-team—or powerhouse B-team—during the past academic year is invited to play. Other players may register and will be admitted provided that there is room. (I'm sorry: I would make the tournament open, but space is an issue).

The way it looks now, the tournament will be free. However, if it turns out that we have to pay for our rooms, or if people want prizes, there might be a small fee.

Readers and buzzer systems would be nice to have. Talk to me if you can provide.

Registering and volunteer your services by e-mailing me at [email protected]. Do so even if you already expressed interest. Please include your name and your team in the message.
I'm the Dude! That's what you call me, you know...that or His Dudeness, Duder...El Dudarino, if you know, you’re not into that whole brevity thing…
Marcel Duchamp
Lulu

Post by Marcel Duchamp »

Any updates about time, location, and possibly a list of who is coming to the tournament?
Zach Hommer, Coach Priestley Charter School
New Orleans, LA
tj b boy
Lulu

Post by tj b boy »

Yeah, I'm curious about things such as the above and also whether or not I actually told you I wanted to come (my brother does too, by the way - dunno if he/we got to you on that).

I just graduated - am i allowed to show up? or did i read that wrong.
Seths
Lulu

We sold our soul for quiz and bowl

Post by Seths »

Recent grauduates are certainly elegible; I will most likely be playing. Mike, I heard from your brother, but I am still waiting for Alex to contact me about who else from TJ is coming.

Besides the TJ contingent—which I've heard numbers 5 or 6—here is a list of people who will be there. I am also waiting to hear from Eleanor Roosevelt folks.

Michael (Blake)
Michael (Gonzaga)
Seth (RM)
Tobin (RM)
Daniel (RM)
Humza (RM)
Zack (WJ)
David (GDS)

Best case scenario, we will have 16 players exactly, and will be able to run a double-elimination tournament after some prelim seeding.

I am still working out the when and where. Think about getting to UMD around 9:15.
I'm the Dude! That's what you call me, you know...that or His Dudeness, Duder...El Dudarino, if you know, you’re not into that whole brevity thing…
Allandaros
Lulu

Post by Allandaros »

Can we get times and such, boss? How long do you expect us buzzer-fiends to be hittin' the things and making the fun noises?
That would make sense. That's why they didn't.
-Humza's Corollary to Murphy's Law.
Pistachio
Lulu

Post by Pistachio »

TJ will be sending all our PACE B-team members: Mike S., Mike W., Dan, and Alex (moi). We also have one or two people (still waiting for confirmation from one of them) on the wait-list, as they weren't regular B-team players. Good luck to everyone this weekend!
Seths
Lulu

Post by Seths »

Dear everybody:

I will send out a mass email tonight with all the pertinent information. Good luck on Saturday.
No Sollositing On Premise
Tidus

Post by No Sollositing On Premise »

(no longer mis-posted)

It's sort of too bad that all of our A team is either vacationing or apathetic, but this looks to be an interesting tournament. Is it possible to see a final roster and waitlist, Seth? We should notify the waitlists as soon as we can.
Mike Sollosi, University of Virginia
Seths
Lulu

Post by Seths »

We stand at 15 people (one less than ideal) with the waitlist empty. The dramatis personae:

Michael B (Blake)
Michael K (Gonzaga)
Seth (RM)
Tobin (RM)
Daniel B (RM)
Humza (RM)
Barry (RM)
David (GDS)
Zack (WJ)
Mike S (TJ)
Dan W (TJ)
Mike W (TJ)
Alex L (TJ)
Wil K (TJ)
Daniel R (ER)

The field is not only dominated by people from RM and TJ, but it is also dominated by people named Michael or Daniel (the TD is also named Daniel).
Seths
Lulu

Post by Seths »

Congratulations to Michael Braun of Blake High School, for winning the Summer Singles tournament today. He defeated Dan Wright of Thomas Jefferson to win the double elimination playoffs.

I will go into more details tomorrow, after I get some rest, but I would like to thank our volunteers: Sharon Wong from RM, my dad, Mr. Wright, and above all, Mr. Dan Goff, the tournament director, without whom we wouldn't have been able to do a dang thing. I'd like to think everyone at ACF for letting us use the questions, especially Kelly. Finally, thanks to the individuals for coming to play on a beautiful summer's day.
Allandaros
Lulu

Post by Allandaros »

I still maintain that this was a "Conspiracy of Michaels", and that the Michaels of the world, collaborating with the Bavarian Illuminati, worked together to give Mr. Braun the win.

*grins*

Congratulations, Mike.
That would make sense. That's why they didn't.
-Humza's Corollary to Murphy's Law.
HenryV
Kimahri

Post by HenryV »

Props to Mr. Samelson for taking the time and effort to put this together. And yes...it is rough I tell ya.
Set Your Buzzers To Stun