West Coast Invitational (4/2-3/2011) at UCLA

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
cvdwightw
Auron

West Coast Invitational (4/2-3/2011) at UCLA

Post by cvdwightw »

The 2011 West Coast Invitational will take place on April 2-3, 2011. The tournament will once again be held at UCLA. A meeting room will be posted once UCLA gets room confirmation. We anticipate staffers from UCLA, UC Irvine, UCSD, Caltech, and the Claremont Colleges.

On Saturday we will run a PACE-style tournament using rules as close to the exact 2011 PACE NSC rules as possible. We are currently exploring the plausibility of house-writing the Saturday tournament; if this ends up not happening, we will solicit packet sets that we believe mirror our preferred quality and difficulty.

There will be some sort of event on Saturday night. In 2010 we held tryouts to select the California representatives at the National All-Star Academic Tournament. We are likely to turn this year’s Saturday night event into either a side event (e.g. a singles or subject tournament) or a social event. Attendees with ideas for Saturday night should contact the tournament director.

On Sunday we will run a timed NAQT-style tournament using official NAQT rules. We are attempting to reserve the NAQT Division 2 SCT set again. With any appreciable amount of luck we will end this tournament before 5:00 as happened in 2010.

Fee Structure:

Base per-team fee: $70 for one tournament or $120 for both
Minimum per-team fee: $35 for one tournament or $60 for both

Per-Team Discounts (discount applies to each team’s fee):
Travel Discount: -$5 per 100 miles traveled one-way, one-time discount off total fee (distance calculated by reputable online map software, from your school to the tournament site)
Early Registration Discount: -$5 for registering on or before February 1, one-time discount off total fee (this means that if you know at least one team is coming, you should register that team)

Per-School Discounts (discount off school’s entire fee, not each team’s fee):
Buzzer discount: -$5, per fully-functional buzzer system, per tournament
Scorekeeper discount: -$5, per tournament; function can be performed by coach or extra player accompanying team
Moderator discount: -$15, per tournament
Clock discount: -$5, per clock, NAQT tournament only

We are initially capping the field at 20 teams per tournament. We anticipate being able to raise this cap to accommodate demand, but we want to start with a low cap because UCLA charges room reservations on a per-room basis.

The tournament director for the 2011 West Coast Invitational is Dwight Wynne. For more information about the West Coast Invitational, or to register for the tournament, please e-mail dpwynne at gmail dot com.
Dwight Wynne
socalquizbowl.org
UC Irvine 2008-2013; UCLA 2004-2007; Capistrano Valley High School 2000-2003

"It's a competition, but it's not a sport. On a scale, if football is a 10, then rowing would be a two. One would be Quiz Bowl." --Matt Birk on rowing, SI On Campus, 10/21/03

"If you were my teammate, I would have tossed your ass out the door so fast you'd be emitting Cerenkov radiation, but I'm not classy like Dwight." --Jerry
Flash Bomba
Lulu

Re: West Coast Invitational (4/2-3/2011) at UCLA

Post by Flash Bomba »

At least one team, one buzzer.
Thomas Hsu
University High School '11
Brown '15
cvdwightw
Auron

Post by cvdwightw »

Bumping this:

1. The packet sets are likely to be HSAPQ Tourn-16 and NAQT Division 2 SCT, both in an attempt to avoid conflict with the Texas event and because no teams that might be coming in from regions where HSAPQ Tourn-16 is likely to be/have been played have expressed tentative interest. Any interested players/coaches who see problems with this arrangement should contact me very soon, before I start making the necessary contacts to purchase the packet sets.
2. Contingent on approval from the other clubs, we plan to run a free-of-charge singles tournament on Saturday night using the 2011 HSAPQ NASAT distribution, with difficulty ranging from the easy side of HSNCT/NSC to the harder side of NASAT. If you are a college club running a high school tournament in April or May and would like to run this singles tournament as a side event, please help us ensure that it happens by contacting me regarding a willingness to help us write it.
3. A full announcement will be out next week, though the currently posted information is unlikely to change.
Dwight Wynne
socalquizbowl.org

"It's a competition, but it's not a sport. On a scale, if football is a 10, then rowing would be a two. One would be Quiz Bowl." --Matt Birk on rowing, SI On Campus, 10/21/03

"If you were my teammate, I would have tossed your ass out the door so fast you'd be emitting Cerenkov radiation, but I'm not classy like Dwight." --Jerry
Tanay
Rikku

Post by Tanay »

Can someone help us with a place to stay for WCI? The finances aren't looking fantastic right now.
Tanay
ex-Berkeley, ex-Bellarmine
cvdwightw
Auron

Post by cvdwightw »

NoWayItsTanay wrote:Can someone help us with a place to stay for WCI? The finances aren't looking fantastic right now.
UCLA ran into...um...problems getting rooms. We'll need to move to a backup option, which I'll figure out...um...after other things get off my plate. Stay tuned. Sorry this thing has turned into just as much of a logistical nightmare as last year.
Dwight Wynne
socalquizbowl.org

LucasBrown
Lulu

Post by LucasBrown »

Bumping: a tournament this large and only one month away should not be at the bottom of the second page.

In the meantime, how's the field so far?
Lucas Brown
Rancho Bernardo 2011
Caltech 2015

Every day is finals day.
"If people only knew how hard I work to gain my mastery, it wouldn't seem so wonderful at all." --Michelangelo Buonarroti
Tanay
Rikku

Post by Tanay »

Also, any updates on the hosting situation?
Tanay
Carambola!
Lulu

Post by Carambola! »

Going to try to get a team down there.
Jeffrey Li
Mission San Jose High '11
Berkeley '15

But I shall forgive you. Some things are beautiful because they cannot be obtained.
Tanay
Rikku

Post by Tanay »

cvdwightw wrote:UCLA ran into...um...problems getting rooms. We'll need to move to a backup option, which I'll figure out...um...after other things get off my plate. Stay tuned. Sorry this thing has turned into just as much of a logistical nightmare as last year.
Fifteen days left! Is there any more information about the hosting situation? We still need to fill out permission forms, get plane tickets, and find someplace to stay (all three of which will likely come of great personal expense), and these are all virtually impossible if we're not sure where this will take place.
Tanay
Flash Bomba
Lulu

Post by Flash Bomba »

Ten days?

Is this still going to be at UCLA?
Thomas Hsu
University High School '11
Brown '15
Auroni
Auron

Post by Auroni »

It seems pretty likely that this won't happen at all. However, a regional championship of sorts can be put together if enough teams come to our tournament on April 23rd. viewtopic.php?f=1&t=11260&start=0. We will make it worth your while if you can travel, I promise.
Auroni Gupta (she/her)