Georgia Tech HSNCT Warm-up: April 16, 2011

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
Andrew's a Freshman
Wakka

Re: Georgia Tech HSNCT Warm-up: April 16, 2011

Post by Andrew's a Freshman »

Fred wrote:
KunalNaik wrote:I was only kind of mad about the prelim brackets, which placed alpharetta, hooch, dorman, and central in the same bracket. I thought that this gave norcross an unfair advantage in getting into the top bracket.
Wasn't Alpharetta their second scorer solo and Dorman at less than full strength?
Yes. Based on previous tournaments, Dorman seemed to be their B team + a captain that is usually or was previously on their A team.
Norcross High School '11
Northwestern University '15
Marble-faced Bristle Tyrant
Yuna

Post by Marble-faced Bristle Tyrant »

Carangoides ciliarius wrote:looking at the PPB, it's obvious that two of the top four teams were in one bracket, and the other two of the top four teams were in the other bracket.
This is pretty much what I'm thinking. Same goes for PPG, though that's not as good when comparing across brackets.
Farrah Bilimoria
Formerly of Georgia Tech and Central High School (Macon)
KunalNaik
Lulu

Post by KunalNaik »

Well I'm kind of looking in hindsight here, thinking that the seed with the lowest PPB and PPG out of the top 4 had to only play the teams that finished lowest in the consolation bracket, DAR and Flowery Branch. I would've preferred it if either me or Central had been in the other bracket. Not that Norcross wasn't one of the top 4 seeds (as you all have pointed out, the stats clearly say they are), I just wished for a little more balance after that.
Kunal Naik
Alpharetta High School '12
Andrew's a Freshman
Wakka

Yeah, it sucks when #5 and #6 never have an opportunity to play the team that finished just ahead of them. I don't know if anything could have been done particularly to prevent this from happening.
Norcross High School '11
Matthew D
Yuna

Post by Matthew D »

I could have actually seen that your team might have needed to be in our prelim bracket Kunal. I think it would have been a better time.
And just wanted to say, my bunch play on Saturday is not the way that the usually play, not sure what was going on except maybe the 4 am leave time and the 3.5 hour drive might have something to do with us losing the 1st 2 we played.
Matt Dennis
Coach DAR Quizbowl Team
centralhs
Wakka

Post by centralhs »

I think that the stats are wrong for our game against Ola. The number of bonuses attributed to us is incorrect, making our PPB lower than it should be. Our bonus stats for that round should read 12 BHrd/130 Bpts instead of 14 BHrd/70 Bpts.

Actually, looking back at the stats, I see that the final score for the Ola game is wrong as well. We actually won that game 235-105, not 225-105. If the stats could be fixed to accurately reflect our performance, I would really appreciate it!

EDIT: Added more information.
Cathy Hirsch
Chamblee Middle School (2013-present)
Central Gwinnett High School (1997-2012)
Yuna

centralhs wrote:I think that the stats are wrong for our game against Ola. The number of bonuses attributed to us is incorrect, making our PPB lower than it should be. Our bonus stats for that round should read 12 BHrd/130 Bpts instead of 14 BHrd/70 Bpts.

Actually, looking back at the stats, I see that the final score for the Ola game is wrong as well. We actually won that game 235-105, not 225-105. If the stats could be fixed to accurately reflect our performance, I would really appreciate it!
This was caused by a scorekeeper error and has been fixed in the SQBS file. I'll probably look through the scoresheets later to see if similar errors happened in other matches in the same room.

Merged stats will arrive sometime this week.
Farrah Bilimoria
Yuna

I just fixed a ton of tallying errors in the SQBS files (a lot of negs were tallied on the scoresheets as powers and such). I generally did not look for addition errors, though.

prelims
playoffs

Also, after looking over those scoresheets again, I must echo that Adam S. is a scarily good player.
Farrah Bilimoria
Andrew's a Freshman
Wakka

While you're going through these, Mostafa got all of my points in our match against Pickens. I got something like 2 powers, 4-6 10's, and chances are a neg or two. At least, I don't remember sitting idly that round.

TUH also reverted back to 0 for all teams.
Norcross High School '11
Yuna

That one's my mistake, fixing it now.

Also, is TUH necessary if you just do 20/20 every game?
Farrah Bilimoria
Yuna

Merged stats. I put the Mountain View and Ola teams in the unused Water bracket.
Farrah Bilimoria
AlphaQuizBowler
Tidus

Post by AlphaQuizBowler »

Carangoides ciliarius wrote:How is this not fair?
The fact that neither the 5th- nor the 6th-place team got to play the 4th-place team for a spot in the top bracket is far from optimal. At the same time, that's almost impossible to control (especially considering the difficulty of estimating Kunal's strength playing solo) so it's a very minor issue in what seems like a very well-run tournament.
William
Alpharetta High School '11
Harvard '15
centralhs
Wakka

Post by centralhs »

Carangoides ciliarius wrote: That, and looking at the PPB, it's obvious that two of the top four teams were in one bracket, and the other two of the top four teams were in the other bracket. They very clearly bested the rest of the field on PPB: 18.41, 18.15, 19.91, 15.00. No one else hit 13 on the day.
I am not disputing that Norcross belonged in the top playoff bracket instead of us, as their numbers were definitely better than ours, but our PPB "on the day" was actually 14.11.

I was very proud of the performance of my two players on Saturday. We were lacking our only strong science player so we converted just a small percentage of the science bonuses which, while probably easy by college standards, were much harder than the science in the average high school set. We would not have won the two games that we lost (both complete blowouts) even with my science player there, but our stats might have been high enough to place us into the top playoff bracket.
Last edited by centralhs on Tue Apr 19, 2011 10:12 am, edited 2 times in total.
Cathy Hirsch
Chamblee Middle School (2013-present)
Central Gwinnett High School (1997-2012)
Down and out in Quintana Roo
Auron

Post by Down and out in Quintana Roo »

Okay, well then maybe the discussion here should be "why were their only two preliminary brackets when the numbers may have worked in favor of three of them instead, creating just six or seven preliminary games (instead of like nine), leaving room for more during the playoffs?"
Mr. Andrew Chrzanowski
Caesar Rodney High School
Camden, Delaware
CRHS '97-'01
University of Delaware '01-'05
CRHS quizbowl coach '06-'12
http://crquizbowl.edublogs.org
Eric Huff
Wakka

Post by Eric Huff »

According to Eric Huff, it was their "full B team" and their A team will be at Culver.
I can confirm this. The team that played at this will be the same team that plays as Dorman B at HSNCT.
Eric Huff

National History Bee (eric AT historybee.com)
ACE Quizbowl Camps (eric AT acequizbowlcamp.com)
Former Head Coach, Dorman High School (2001-2012)

http://www.historybee.com
http://www.acequizbowlcamp.com
Sen. Estes Kefauver (D-TN)
Chairman of Anti-Music Mafia Committee

Post by Sen. Estes Kefauver (D-TN) »

Carangoides ciliarius wrote:Okay, well then maybe the discussion here should be "why were their only two preliminary brackets when the numbers may have worked in favor of three of them instead, creating just six or seven preliminary games (instead of like nine), leaving room for more during the playoffs?"
Because there's totally a good 19 team schedule that allows this in a reasonable amount of time.

Anyway, guys, you all lost twice. That's plenty to knock you out of consideration for the title, and that's ultimately the main goal of a playoff. Sorry Alpharetta didn't make the playoffs, but them's the breaks.
Charlie Dees, North Kansas City HS '08
"I won't say more because I know some of you parse everything I say." - Jeremy Gibbs

"At one TJ tournament the neg prize was the Hampshire College ultimate frisbee team (nude) calender featuring one Evan Silberman. In retrospect that could have been a disaster." - Harry White
Yuna

Carangoides ciliarius wrote:Okay, well then maybe the discussion here should be "why were their only two preliminary brackets when the numbers may have worked in favor of three of them instead, creating just six or seven preliminary games (instead of like nine), leaving room for more during the playoffs?"
Mainly because with 20 teams (at the time of bracket-making), to me it was preferable to have the same number of games and byes in both brackets. Obviously that changed the day of,and regardless of that I really didn't realize the second playoff bracket would be so lopsided. (edit: actually, looking at the fixed stats, it really doesn't seem that lopsided. Central Gwinnet's PPB seems more of an outlier than Alpharetta's, though that's based on me just looking at the numbers and not doing any sort of statistical analysis) If there hadn't been so many drops from the field-- ie, if we'd had 21 or more teams-- I would have gone with three prelim brackets, and there would've been six to each playoff bracket, which might have been a better playoff situation for Alpharetta and Central Gwinnett depending on who the additional teams would have been.
Farrah Bilimoria