Dennis Haskins Open at UTC 3/5/2011

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
Your Genial Quizmaster
Rikku

Dennis Haskins Open at UTC 3/5/2011

Post by Your Genial Quizmaster »

UT-Chattanooga is tentatively planning to hold next spring's Dennis Haskins Open High School Quizbowl on Sat., March 5, 2011. If anyone in the TN/GA/AL area knows of potential conflicts on that date, please let us know at [email protected]. Thanks.
Last edited by Your Genial Quizmaster on Fri Feb 25, 2011 1:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
-- Charlie Steinhice
Coach, UTC Academic Trivia Association
University of Tennessee at Chattanooga
utcquizbowl [at] gmail [dot] com

"Come, come! Why, they couldn't hit an elephant at this dist..."
-- Gen. John Sedgwick, 1864 (technically not his very last words, but close enough)
Rountree
Rikku

Re: Tentative date: Dennis Haskins Open at UTC 3/5/2011

Post by Rountree »

Your Genial Quizmaster wrote:If anyone in the TN/GA/AL area knows of potential conflicts on that date, please let us know at [email protected]. Thanks.
Although I have no idea what kind of turn-out to expect at it, the GA Qualifier for the new National History Bee and Bowl is on March 5th at Ola High School in McDonough, GA.
Elliott Rountree
Lambert Coach, 2017-present
Buford Coach, 2014-2015
Chattahoochee Coach, 2004-2014
GATA, 2018-present; 2007-2014
ACE, 2000-2013
quizbowllee
Auron

Post by quizbowllee »

RountreeCHS wrote:
Your Genial Quizmaster wrote:If anyone in the TN/GA/AL area knows of potential conflicts on that date, please let us know at [email protected]. Thanks.
Although I have no idea what kind of turn-out to expect at it, the GA Qualifier for the new National History Bee and Bowl is on March 5th at Ola High School in McDonough, GA.
This is also the date of the ASCA Regional Tournaments in Alabama....
Lee Henry
AP Lit and APUSH Teacher
Quiz Bowl Coach
West Point High School
President-Elect/Past President- Alabama Scholastic Competition Association (ASCA)
Your Genial Quizmaster
Rikku

Thanks for the info. I'll ask the question in reverse, then: what weekends are currently available in March and April for TN/GA/AL teams?
-- Charlie Steinhice

-- Gen. John Sedgwick, 1864 (technically not his very last words, but close enough)
kayli
Auron

Post by kayli »

I have a running calendar of events happening in the Southeast which might be of some use.
Kay, Chicago.
ermaxfield
Lulu

Post by ermaxfield »

Just curious if there were any updates on the date for this tournament. As far as our team is concerned, we're pretty flexible with dates and very interested in this tourney.
What sets will be played?
Emaline Maxfield
BYU Class of 2015

---
"Quiz bowlers have good ear-to-hand coordination." --PeterPanda Jiang
"I hired you to help me start a war. It's a very prestigious line of work with a long and glorious tradition."
Starman
Kimahri

Post by Starman »

We here at Daniel Boone HS are anxiously awating this tournament. (it is our favorite of each year.) Is it possible to get on an e-mail list for registration information, lodging, etc.? Is the date still set for 5 March? Thanks.
Mike Taylor
Daniel Boone High School
Your Genial Quizmaster
Rikku

The Dennis Haskins Open is still on at UTC for Saturday, March 5. Full details will follow in the next couple of days. Thanks for your patience.
-- Charlie Steinhice

Rob Ryan
Kimahri

Post by Rob Ryan »

Is registration information going to be posted soon? Gibbs High School from Knox County is interested in returning to this event after missing a few years. I have some field trip paperwork to fill out and the principal wants to know the per-team registration cost.
Rob Ryan
Co-sponsor Gibbs High School Academic Team
Corryton, TN
robert.ryan@knoxschools .org
Your Genial Quizmaster
Rikku

Thanks for your patience. We can now confirm that this year’s Dennis Haskins Open will use HSAPQ set #17. Here are full details for the tournament:

UT-Chattanooga’s 14th annual Dennis Haskins Open High School Quizbowl will be held on Saturday, March 5, 2011. Named in honor of the actor and UTC alumnus best known as Principal Belding on Saved by the Bell, this will be a one-day team academic quizbowl competition in Chattanooga, TN. The field is open to high school and middle school teams.

We are tentatively capping the field at 32 teams. Division I (varsity) is open to teams with players from all grades. Division II (JV) is open to teams where all players are in grades 6-10. To ensure that you have space reserved, we recommend that you e-mail [email protected] or call me at (423) 535-7147 at your earliest convenience with the number of teams your school expects to bring. Once the field is officially full, we will start a waiting list.

Also, in order to bring more than two teams from the same school, you are strongly encouraged to provide at least one experienced full-time official. This will allow us to expand the field to accommodate the extra teams while still allowing room for more schools.

FORMAT: This will be an untimed tournament with 20 tossups and bonuses per round, with no bounceback on bonuses. Questions will cover a variety of academic disciplines, with a little popular culture and general knowledge thrown in. The field will be split into brackets for a round robin, followed by playoffs for each division. During playoffs, non-playoff teams will have the option of playing consolation rounds.

ELIGIBILITY: Students in grades 6-12 are eligible. Those in grades 11-12 are eligible to play in Division I (varsity) only. Students in grades 6-10 are eligible to play in either Division I or Division II, although we strongly recommend that players in grades 6-8 play on Division II teams only. Separate trophies will be awarded for teams in Division II (teams composed entirely of players in grades 6 -10.)

Pre-registration and prepayment are not required -- as long as we know how many teams you’ll bring, and for which division(s). Rosters may be changed at any time before the tournament starts -- but once it does, a player may not switch from team to team.

ACCOMMODATIONS: With changes on the downtown hotel scene, we don’t currently have any standing room discounts. If you are planning an overnight stay and would like some help, please contact us at [email protected] and we’ll see what we can arrange.
If you need more information, I can be reached on my cell phone (423-504-8255), at my office (423-535-7147), or by e-mail at [email protected] . We hope to see you March 5!
--- Charlie Steinhice, UTC A.T.A. Coach

Directions to Grote Hall: Come towards downtown Chattanooga on I-24. Take the freeway splitoff labeled US 27 North – Downtown Chattanooga. Follow US 27 North to Exit 1A, 4th St. (Don’t worry about which way to turn on 4th St. – it only goes one way.) Follow 4th St. about ½ mile till you see the Mackenzie Arena (the “Roundhouse”) on your right. Shortly after you see the Arena on your right, 4th St. will merge with 3rd St. After they merge, watch for the second right (Palmetto St.) Turn right on Palmetto. Go 2 blocks on Palmetto, then turn right on Vine St. You will see barriers ahead where Vine St. is closed to auto traffic. The last parking lot on the right, just before those barriers, is the parking lot for Grote Hall. Tournament HQ is Grote 129. Enter by the door by the dumpster.

Here’s a link to GoogleMaps. Use with caution – note that Baldwin St. was shortened decades ago and Vine St. is inaccurately marked as a through street.
http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=en&g ... 21307&z=16
-- Charlie Steinhice

Your Genial Quizmaster
Rikku

FIELD UPDATE: Dennis Haskins Open at UTC 3/5/2011

Here is a quick field update. Schools are from Tennessee and teams are varsity (or presumed varsity) unless otherwise noted. We now expect 30 teams and have almost reached our maximum field size. Please send any additions or corrections to [email protected]. Thanks.

Covenant Christian (AL)
C.S.A.S.
Daniel Boone 2
Ezell-Harding 4 (3 JV)
Gibbs 2
Hardin Valley
Lincoln Co.
Murray Co. (GA) 2
Muscle Shoals (AL) 2
Northwest Whitfield (GA) 2
Oneida
Ringgold (GA) 2 (1 JV)
Rossview
Scott Co. 2
SCHS
Webb 2 (1 JV)
West 2
White Co.
-- Charlie Steinhice

ermaxfield
Lulu

Re: Dennis Haskins Open at UTC 3/5/2011

Post by ermaxfield »

For those interested, Ezell-Harding A took first place with Station Camp High School coming in second and Webb A in third in the varsity division. I'm not sure about the junior varsity division however.
Congratulations and well done to all the teams who participated!
Thanks to everyone who put a lot of hard work into running this tournament--I really appreciated it.
Emaline Maxfield
BYU Class of 2015

---
"Quiz bowlers have good ear-to-hand coordination." --PeterPanda Jiang
"I hired you to help me start a war. It's a very prestigious line of work with a long and glorious tradition."
webbfeet
Lulu

Re: Dennis Haskins Open at UTC 3/5/2011

Post by webbfeet »

Ezell completely dominated the JV bracket, taking first, second, and third place.

I am proud to say that the Webb Feet, with two players playing in their first tournament, took home the 4th place trophy.
Ron Smith
Academic Coach
Webb School
Your Genial Quizmaster
Rikku

RESULTS: Dennis Haskins Open at UTC 3/5/2011

Congratulations to the winners at the 14th annual Dennis Haskins Open High School Quizbowl, held at UT-Chattanooga on March 5, 2011:

Division I (varsity)
1st: Ezell-Harding A
2nd: Station Camp
3rd: Webb A
4th: Lincoln Co.

Division II (J.V.)
1st: Ezell-Harding B
2nd: Ezell-Harding C
3rd: Ezell-Harding D
4th: Webb B

Thanks to all the teams that participated, and to all our volunteer officials. Thanks also to HSAPQ for providing the questions, and to Dennis Haskins for the use of his name and the autographed photos of Mr. Belding with his minions that he provided to accompany the All-Star trophies.

Emaline Maxfield of Station Camp, who came within a couple of questions of winning the tournament as a one-person team, took MVP honors for Division I, with Ezell-Harding B’s Griffin Ray as the top Division II scorer. Full individual stats and standings after the round robin can be found at:

http://results.scobo.net/utcquizbowl

Note that players marked * in the individual stats were eligible for Division II awards, despite playing on a varsity team.

Playoff results were as follows:

Div. I Quarterfinals
#1 Ezell-Harding A 510, #8 Knox West B 80
#2 Webb A 260, #7 Hardin Valley A 90
#3 Station Camp 280, #6 Rossview 50
#4 Lincoln Co. 280, #5 Hardin Valley B 150

Div. I Semifinals
Station Camp 240, Webb A 100
Ezell-Harding A 420, Lincoln Co. 100

Div. I Finals
Ezell-Harding A 290, Station Camp 230

Div. II Semifinals
Ezell-Harding B 390, Webb B 80
Ezell-Harding C 210, Ezell-Harding D 100

Div. II Finals:
Ezell-Harding B 320, Ezell-Harding D 210
-- Charlie Steinhice