Ottawa Quizbowl Tournament VI (11/20/2010)

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
bsmith
Tidus

Ottawa Quizbowl Tournament VI (11/20/2010)

Post by bsmith »

The sixth Ottawa Quizbowl Tournament will be held Saturday, November 20 (changed from November 13) at the University of Ottawa. Full details will emerge later, but it will likely use an NAQT IS set (with NAQT rules) and have fees around $60 per team.

I should not be in charge of this event, but any queries can be sent to uotrivia -AT- yahoo.ca for now (Either I will forward it, or the address will auto-forward to the future club account when I leave). There is apparently also a Facebook listing for this tournament.

The OQT is the longest-running high school quizbowl event in Canada, featuring great competition. All but one editions have featured a team that went to "Reach for the Top" Nationals that season, and our past attendees have 8 Reach championships between them. We have a usual base of eastern Ontario teams, but schools from further away are invited (and encouraged) to attend.

Ottawa is the capital city of Canada, which comes with several perks for visitors. Parliament, dozens of museums and galleries, the Rideau Canal, and other attractions are only a few minutes away from the University of Ottawa. Ottawa is easily accessible by car, rail, bus, or plane, and there are plenty of hotels near the university for visitors.

Hope to see teams in November!
Last edited by bsmith on Tue Oct 19, 2010 7:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ben Smith
Ottawa '08 & '10
Masked Canadian History Bandit
Rikku

Re: Ottawa Quizbowl Tournament VI (11/13/2010)

Post by Masked Canadian History Bandit »

bsmith wrote:There is apparently also a Facebook listing for this tournament.
I believe that this the Facebook page (http://www.facebook.com/?sk=events#!/ev ... 8697656779). It should be public (e.g. accessible to everyone), but it has little to add to this post.
Patrick Liao
Lisgar Collegiate Institute 2011, University of Pennsylvania 2015, University of Toronto Faculty of Law 2019
bsmith
Tidus

Re: Ottawa Quizbowl Tournament VI (11/20/2010)

Post by bsmith »

In the absence of any current Ottawa student saying so, I'll mention that the tournament has been moved to November 20 because of a room reservation conflict.
Ben Smith
Ottawa '08 & '10
bsmith
Tidus

Post by bsmith »

I'm somewhat out of the loop, but I've been told that the field is 6 Lisgar, 2 Bell, 2 Merivale, Colonel By, Glebe, Gloucester, and Nepean.
Ben Smith
Ottawa '08 & '10
bsmith
Tidus

Post by bsmith »

After morning RR, top bracket of 8 for playoffs is Bell A, Gloucester, Merivale A, and 5 Lisgar teams.

Patrick was top individual.
Ben Smith
Ottawa '08 & '10
bsmith
Tidus

Post by bsmith »

Stats after prelims: http://uotrivia.ca/stats/oqt10/oqt10pre ... dings.html

Overall stats: http://uotrivia.ca/stats/oqt10/oqt10_standings.html

Two undefeated teams from the same school met in the final round of the playoffs both clear of third place by 3 wins, so they agreed that the winner of that match would decide the winner of the tournament. Lisgar A survived a scare from their B team to win, with Bell A coming in third.

Edit: links are fixed
Last edited by bsmith on Wed Nov 24, 2010 5:40 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Ben Smith
Ottawa '08 & '10
Masked Canadian History Bandit
Rikku

Post by Masked Canadian History Bandit »

Thanks to the organizers at the University of Ottawa trivia club. There was a generally fun tournament to play in, and the readers were mostly good, and the buzzers worked reasonably. I hope this tournament can get bigger in the years to come.
Patrick Liao
Lisgar Collegiate Institute 2011, University of Pennsylvania 2015, University of Toronto Faculty of Law 2019