Missouri quizbowl 2010-11

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
bdavery
Lulu

Missouri quizbowl 2010-11

Post by bdavery »

[Mod, please put this wherever you think it goes.]

Here is the MSHSAA question proposal for this coming year. Note it requires 21 games of 50 tossups/20 bonuses + replacements, and that e-mail/fax proposals will _not_ be accepted. OTOH, you can now have some past connection to Missouri quizbowl provided you disclose it in detail, so this may allow some who couldn't apply before to do it now.

Good luck to the winners.
Attachments
MOQuestion RFP 2010-11.pdf
(39.94 KiB) Downloaded 224 times
Bryce Avery
President, Avery Enterprises
http://www.averyenterprises.net/blog
Sen. Estes Kefauver (D-TN)
Chairman of Anti-Music Mafia Committee

Re: Missouri quizbowl 2010-11

Post by Sen. Estes Kefauver (D-TN) »

Schedule for Delivery:
Seven (7) Games to be delivered by December 1, 2010
Seven (7) Games to be delivered by January 1, 2010
Six (7) Games to be delivered by February 1, 2010
Total Games: Twenty (21)
Charlie Dees, North Kansas City HS '08
"I won't say more because I know some of you parse everything I say." - Jeremy Gibbs

"At one TJ tournament the neg prize was the Hampshire College ultimate frisbee team (nude) calender featuring one Evan Silberman. In retrospect that could have been a disaster." - Harry White
Mechanical Beasts
Banned Cheater

Post by Mechanical Beasts »

Man, I thought arithmetic tossups would at least teach arithmetic skills.

EDIT: Having actually read this, there's no requirement for math calculation explicitly listed here, just rules for how to handle it within a packet. Hypothetically, an ambitious bidder could write three math theory tossups for each game. (That said, you can't complete a 50/20 round in forty-five minutes "regardless of moderator speed" unless questions are very short indeed.)
Andrew Watkins
cvdwightw
Auron

Post by cvdwightw »

Do you believe your “style” of question-writing, in any way, would provide this school, or any other school, an advantage, due to familiarity with this “style”?
The right answer to this question is yes for every vendor, because schools who primarily play on regurgitated garbage and spend practice time working out to the Buzz Now! Thumb Exercise video series* will have an "advantage" due to the "style" of terrible hoses and wrong answers. The fact that this question must only be answered by people with past affiliations with MSHSAA member schools seems to me like this is just another thinly veiled attempt to keep MOQBA and anyone else who is dissatisfied with Missouri's current quizbowl climate from submitting a bid to write better questions.

*While writing this I suddenly started imagining an aerobics video featuring people in workout clothes running in place to stereotypical workout music while clicking imaginary pens with an instructor yelling, in rhythm with the music, "And click...and click...and click...and click." As the workout music faded away, the video segued to Jason Mueller explaining the basics of the Trunk Lift followed by the workout instructor doing 10 reps with the right thumb ("Lift...release...lift...release") and then 10 with the left. I don't know what's scarier: the fact that my imagination conceived of this or the notion, however briefly entertained, that this would actually be bought by actual Missouri quizbowl coaches.
Dwight Wynne
socalquizbowl.org
UC Irvine 2008-2013; UCLA 2004-2007; Capistrano Valley High School 2000-2003

"It's a competition, but it's not a sport. On a scale, if football is a 10, then rowing would be a two. One would be Quiz Bowl." --Matt Birk on rowing, SI On Campus, 10/21/03

"If you were my teammate, I would have tossed your ass out the door so fast you'd be emitting Cerenkov radiation, but I'm not classy like Dwight." --Jerry
ScoBo
Rikku

Post by ScoBo »

Jeremy Gibbs Freesy Does It wrote:
Schedule for Delivery:
Seven (7) Games to be delivered by December 1, 2010
Seven (7) Games to be delivered by January 1, 2010
Six (7) Games to be delivered by February 1, 2010
Total Games: Twenty (21)
As Paul Nelson pointed out elsewhere, no matter how hard one tries, nobody will be able to meet these deadlines. Guess that means there will be no valid bids and they'll have no choice but to cancel the MSHSAA tournament.
Jeffrey Hill • Missouri Quizbowl Alliance president • UMR/Missouri S&T 2009 • Liberty (MO) 2005
Post your tournaments, SQBS reports, and question sets to the Quizbowl Resource Center Database!
Auroni
Auron

Post by Auroni »

can't people write bad questions very quickly?
Auroni Gupta (she/her)
Frater Taciturnus
Auron

Post by Frater Taciturnus »

Ice Warrior wrote:can't people write bad questions very quickly?
if you can write 6 packets in -5 months boy do i have a job for you.
Janet Berry
[email protected]
she/they
--------------
J. Sargeant Reynolds CC 2008, 2009, 2014
Virginia Commonwealth 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013,
Douglas Freeman 2005, 2006, 2007
Stained Diviner
Auron

Post by Stained Diviner »

What if I can write one (6) packets?
David Reinstein
Head Writer and Editor for Scobol Solo, Masonics, and IESA; TD for Scobol Solo and Reinstein Varsity; IHSSBCA Board Member; IHSSBCA Chair (2004-2014); PACE President (2016-2018)