2021 NAQT HSNCT: Congratulations Barrington!

Dormant threads from the high school sections are preserved here.
Important Bird Area
Forums Staff: Administrator

2021 NAQT HSNCT: Congratulations Barrington!

Post by Important Bird Area »

naqt.com wrote:NAQT is pleased to announce that its 2021 High School National Championship Tournament, powered by LetterOne, will be held online via Zoom, on May 29-30, 2021.

The field is limited to 224 teams.

Registration is limited to invited teams through Sunday, March 21. Beginning Monday, March 22 at midnight Central time, any high school may register, with a limit of two teams per school. Beginning Monday, April 5 at midnight Central time, the two-teams-per-school limit will be lifted and any high school may register any number of teams (subject to caps on the total field sizes).

Because of the open registration window, there is no wildcard process for this tournament. Teams who do not receive invitations based on their performance may register on or after March 22.
Full details

Register here

Current field

Updated 5/13 --JTH
Jeff Hoppes
President, Northern California Quiz Bowl Alliance
former HSQB Chief Admin (2012-13)
VP for Communication and history subject editor, NAQT
Editor emeritus, ACF

"I wish to make some kind of joke about Jeff's love of birds, but I always fear he'll turn them on me Hitchcock-style." -Fred
joshxu
Lulu

Re: 2021 NAQT HSNCT: May 29-30, online

Post by joshxu »

Registration is limited to invited teams through Sunday, March 21. Beginning Monday, March 22 at midnight Central time, any middle school may register, with a limit of two teams per school. Beginning Monday, April 4 at midnight Central time, the two-teams-per-school limit will be lifted and any middle school may register any number of teams (subject to caps on the total field sizes).
I believe this should say "any high school may register..." instead of "any middle school may register...". The phrasing is correct on the official HSNCT announcement at naqt.com though.

I was also curious as to whether a school that has already qualified one or two teams that are already in the field would be allowed to register an additional two teams beginning on March 22. In other words, is two teams per school the maximum number of teams a school can register beginning on March 22, or the maximum number of total teams a school can register before open registration begins April 4? Thanks in advance, and my apologies if this question has already been answered elsewhere.
Josh Xu

Santa Monica High School (Class of 2021, Captain, Team President)
UCLA (Class of 2025)
jonah
Auron

Post by jonah »

joshxu wrote: Sat Mar 13, 2021 8:11 pmI was also curious as to whether a school that has already qualified one or two teams that are already in the field would be allowed to register an additional two teams beginning on March 22. In other words, is two teams per school the maximum number of teams a school can register beginning on March 22, or the maximum number of total teams a school can register before open registration begins April 4? Thanks in advance, and my apologies if this question has already been answered elsewhere.
Two teams per school is the limit for schools who have received zero, one, or two invitations. Before April 4, schools cannot register two teams plus the number of invitations they have—rather, from March 22 through April 3, they can register two teams or however many teams they have received invitations for, whichever is greater (and teams registered before March 22 count against this limit).

Perhaps more succinctly, this is how many teams a school may have registered (including the waitlist):
  • Before March 22: up to however many invitations they have received
  • March 22 through April 3: up to however many invitations they have received; schools who haven't received any invitations, or who only received one invitation, may register one or two teams
  • April 4 through May 21: no limits (other than the field cap)
Jonah Greenthal
National Academic Quiz Tournaments
nickdai
Wakka

Post by nickdai »

If you don't mind me asking, what is the likelihood that the field for HSNCT will be expanded, and if so, how large of a field expansion can we expect? I understand that these logistics may be very difficult to plan out, but this would be very helpful information for teams who can only attend one nats and need to start considering other options before it becomes too late.
Nicholas "Nicc" Dai
戴若涵

Westview High School '21
University of California, San Diego '25
Important Bird Area

We do hope to expand the field, but "how much field expansion?" and "when might the field expand?" are both dependent on the course of staff recruitment over the next few weeks.
Jeff Hoppes
Editor emeritus, ACF

"I wish to make some kind of joke about Jeff's love of birds, but I always fear he'll turn them on me Hitchcock-style." -Fred
Important Bird Area

The field for the 2021 HSNCT has been expanded to 144 teams.
Jeff Hoppes
Editor emeritus, ACF

Important Bird Area

Important Bird Area wrote: Mon Mar 22, 2021 11:21 am We do hope to expand the field, but "how much field expansion?" and "when might the field expand?" are both dependent on the course of staff recruitment over the next few weeks.
We would like to expand further to give the 82 teams on the waitlist the opportunity to play. To do that, we need more staff. If you're interested in helping out on Memorial Day weekend (Saturday–Sunday, May 29–30), please write to [email protected].

(Staff must be at least 18 years old, must have graduated high school, must not be currently connected to a team planning to play the HSNCT, and must not be in or a resident of California. We strongly prefer staff with experience, especially with online tournaments. Staff will be compensated based on how much time they spend working at the tournament.)
Jeff Hoppes
Editor emeritus, ACF

Important Bird Area

The field for the 2021 HSNCT has been expanded to 160 teams.
Jeff Hoppes
Editor emeritus, ACF

Important Bird Area

We're still interested in expanding the 2021 HSNCT field! (Even with today's expansion, there are still 79 teams on the waitlist.)

To expand the tournament, we need more staff. If you're interested in helping out on Memorial Day weekend (Saturday–Sunday, May 29–30), please write to [email protected].

(Staff must be at least 18 years old, must have graduated high school, must not be currently connected to a team planning to play the HSNCT, and must not be in or a resident of California. We strongly prefer staff with experience, especially with online tournaments. Staff will be compensated based on how much time they spend working at the tournament.)
Jeff Hoppes
Editor emeritus, ACF

Important Bird Area

The field for the 2021 HSNCT has been expanded to 176 teams.

(We still have 66 teams on the waitlist! If you'd like to staff the 2021 HSNCT, please contact us at [email protected]- full details are in the previous post.)
Jeff Hoppes
Editor emeritus, ACF

Important Bird Area

The field for the 2021 HSNCT has been expanded to 192 teams.
Jeff Hoppes
Editor emeritus, ACF

Important Bird Area

The field for the 2021 HSNCT has been expanded to 224 teams.
Jeff Hoppes
Editor emeritus, ACF

Important Bird Area

The waitlist for the 2021 HSNCT is now empty. If your team would like to play HSNCT on Memorial Day weekend, please consider signing up for the waitlist- there is a reasonable chance that we might have a few drops from the 224 teams currently registered.

HSNCT field
Jeff Hoppes
Editor emeritus, ACF

Important Bird Area

Live stats for the 2021 HSNCT.
Jeff Hoppes
Editor emeritus, ACF

Important Bird Area

Tune in Saturday evening to HSNCT Overtime with Kyle Hill, Catherine Qian, David Reinstein, and Jackie Wu. Interviews with HSNCT competitors, analysis of the playoffs (and a look at the bracket when it's revealed), insight from an award-winning coach and former HSNCT players, and more. Join us here starting at 4:30 p.m. Central; we'll be watching social media too, so use #HSNCT and we'll share our favorite content on the air!
Jeff Hoppes
Editor emeritus, ACF

Important Bird Area

A new national champion will be crowned this afternoon! Join NAQT for the finals of the 2021 High School National Championship Tournament.

Starting at 4:50 p.m. Central time this afternoon, join Kyle Hill, Catherine Qian, and coach David Reinstein for a semifinal recap and a preview of the finals. Stay in the HSNCT film room on a second screen during the game for commentary, halftime analysis, and more! Join the film room here.

Then, at approximately 5:00 p.m. Central (subject to change), watch the finals here! Either one or two games will determine the 2021 high school national championship. Watch both streams and stay connected to the 2021 HSNCT Finals!
Jeff Hoppes
Editor emeritus, ACF

Important Bird Area

Congratulations to Barrington High School (Barrington, Illinois) for winning the 2021 NAQT High School National Championship Tournament! Barrington defeated University Laboratory High School (Urbana, Illinois) 445-170 in the second game of an advantaged final. Detroit Country Day School (Beverly Hills, Michigan) finished third; Thomas Jefferson High School for Science and Technology (Alexandria, Virginia) claimed fourth.

Complete team and individual statistics are available on naqt.com.
Jeff Hoppes
Editor emeritus, ACF

Important Bird Area

Re: 2021 NAQT HSNCT: Congratulations Barrington!

Podcasts are now available of selected matches from the 2021 NAQT HSNCT.
Jeff Hoppes
Editor emeritus, ACF